United States Steel Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Find Another Employer
Manager (Former Employee) –  XYZ DivisionJune 21, 2018
Just find another employer. This place is ran with fear. From upper management down to the janitor, it is a fear based mentality and it's exhausting. For managers, your time off is not your time. Job Work/ Lift Balance is very much off kilter. If you don't heed my warnings, I hope you have a really understanding spouse because this place is a lot to deal with. Best of luck.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Money does not make up for it - you forfeit your life - you live to work instead of work to live.
Tooling foreman (Former Employee) –  Lone Star, TXJune 18, 2018
USS helped set me up for success in the future.. I had the opportunity to learn many parts of the business that lead me to strong career. I would defiantly recommend USS for anyone looking to grow.
poor management that treat employees badly.
Utility Tech (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, ALJune 13, 2018
Overtime is forced on employees, no work life balance, management treats employees poorly, and tries to belittle them. Management keeps a paper trail on everyone and anything that happens during operations.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
bad work environment, dangerous work.
job ended
Crane operator (Former Employee) –  Lone Star, TXJune 11, 2018
down fall for this employer is always having lay offs. good job when the plant was up and running. Needs to open back up. Good pay and benefits. Would have stayed if not for the lay offs.
N/a
Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 7, 2018
Pays well, but no work life balance
Communication between upper management and lower management could be better

Steel industry is very cyclical and this causes many ups and down. No pay raise in 2 year even though I was rated an exceeds in my review
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work life balance
Fun
Utility Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 27, 2018
Nice work invorment to work at in the oil and gas industry and has good co-workers who are always there to welcome you and help you if you need help doing something you don't understand how to do
Poor Structure
EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 23, 2018
Much of the lower management and employees do everything they can to keep this company afloat and yet decision after decision leads to band-aid fixes, no improvements, and creates a place of poor morale, little compensation advantages, and a competitive disadvantage.
Its an alright place to work
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Gary, INMay 19, 2018
Not sure why I'm forced to give a review? Actually I don't have a review or much to say about this company only that I work here and have for over 20 years.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Dirty
Good Compensation
Applications Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIMay 10, 2018
The benefits and compensation were better than any other company that I worked for. However, there are many issues with corporate culture, IT, hiring processes, annual reviews, promotion opportunities, outdated policies, and politics, that result in high turnover, especially at the Manager level and higher.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Politics, IT issues, lack of career advancement opportunities
Laid back stress free workplace
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, ALMay 3, 2018
During my time at US Steel I learned a lot and had no problems with management everybody did their job the best they could and got alone great with each other.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Lay offs
Us steel review
Procurement Operations Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 1, 2018
Great place to work! Desires to see you grow within the company. They take good care of employees. With an excellent benefits package. Management works well with its employees.
Overall good company to work for
Inside Sales/Account Representative-Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2018
I loved the customer Service and Work order aspect of the position. However, the manager that I was last assigned had no prior knowledge of what we did before I trained her. And after she became my manager she had to ask how and when to do things, which was her responsibility as my manager. she did not treat us fairly and was very rude on a daily basis. just hard to continue working there. I was laid off probably due to her helping make that decision.
not a good place to work
Maintenance Planning Manager (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHApril 27, 2018
US Steel hires people under the premise that they want to acquire skilled people to help build a better company. once you start you are treated like you know nothing, and anything learned outside of US Steel is worthless knowledge. This would all be fine, if you didnt quickly realize all your managers are idiots!
Pros
Cons
once a month pay, the treatment like you owe them something, and the fact that they believe scheduling you anytime thats convenient for them, regardless of what it does to familes is okay.
It's a steel plant
Electronics & Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ecorse, MIApril 27, 2018
Steel plants can be great. But they can also be really bad. With the right boss, even bad times can go decent. With a bad boss, any bad times and you will find yourself out on the street. They like to claim that they will help you with tuition assistance and schooling, but it is mostly false claims.
A Trainwreck
Level 1 (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 27, 2018
Management is a joke , the union is trash , the corporation is greedy and inhumane , avoid at all costs.

We are not robots , we have lives , treat us like it.
Pros
Money
Cons
You do not exist outside of your job.
Production
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  AlabamaApril 27, 2018
Good company to work for family job flexible benefits good team members good onsite medical lab job was good to meet a lot of team all over the compamy
uss
Steel Coil Slitting Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Gary, INApril 26, 2018
I loved working at USS it was a fun job and the pay is great. Also the pay was awesome and so was the benefit package they had. The only reason I am not there anymore is because I got laid off and they called me back to work.
productive
Door adjuster (Former Employee) –  Gary, INApril 25, 2018
Productive fun place to work. The daily work day consisted of either dealing with extreme heat or extreme cold. The foreman was sometimes a little much, But for the most part the job was not bad. Other than dealing with the working conditions I would recommend this job to others who would be interested and could handle the working conditions.
Pros
good pay
Cons
environment
Fast paced and long hours
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2018
Lack of management intervention and very fast paced enviromen. Although under union watch they did nothing to help empoyees with wage and better benefit packages.
Not your everyday run of the mill work place
MATERIALS MANAGEMENT CLERK (Current Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAApril 24, 2018
A typical work day at the plant can either be quiet or be full of interesting conversations, to say the least. The majority of the people are nice. Management is constantly changing, so you're lucky to have the same boss for more than a year or two. What's really neat about working here, is learning the steel making process and getting to see it up close. I've personally took away more in safety from this place than anything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight