United States Steel Employee Reviews

Unsafe place to work and no family-work balance
Operations Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  Ecorse, MIJanuary 19, 2019
Worked excessive number of hours; 7 days a week. Pay and benefits were good but your feet never touch the floor the entire time you were there, which could be anywhere from 8-16 hours a shift or more. Politics and preferential treatment given to some, while others get the heavy yoke. Dangerous place to work! Preach safety, safety, safety, but production comes first and not interested in spending the money to fix known dangerous equipment, company just wanted to make money and profits for their shareholders. Upper management is far removed from the reality of day to day operations. Protected if you know the right people; not protection and expendable otherwise.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Say goodbye to your life, your family and your friends--no work life balance at all...
Fair and excellent experience
HR Shares Services & Operations Associate III (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 13, 2019
Worked for this company for 17 years and was unfortunately was laid off in 2016 to to reorganization of company. Worked in three different departments through out my career there. Stock, pensions and compensation. Management was fair and easy to get along with. Workplace was friendly. Most enjoyable position I held there was in the pension department. This department was a structured position where you knew day to day what was needed to be accomplished to meet weekly goals
Pros
salary was fair, great benefits and vacation time
Cons
travel to work
good pay, lots of micro-managing
Process Manager II (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 7, 2018
US Steel has great benefits, financially at least. At the top the executives are trying to make changes to the culture and management. However, the middle management level (plant mngr and below) are resistant to change and often things like the Carnegie Way are seriously mismanaged. There is a lot of micro-management from this group on daily activities. Advancement comes with the in-crowd. If you are a "legacy" and your dad or grandfather or uncle worked there you have an edge. If you are not a multi-generation steel worker and don't have time or low enough self-esteem to buddy up with management then you have no chance and will likely be blocked from positions you apply for. The tuition reimbursement program is a waste, the contributions are too small to be worth the 2yr commitment.
Us Steel is a good place to work.the pay and benefits are great.
Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Granite City WorksDecember 26, 2018
I have been working for US Steel for 7 years. The pay is good and the benefits are great. I typical requires me to be able to work in a hot working environment. My job is always different every day. I work with a lot of electrical devices and motors. There are times that I have to troubleshoot with PLC controls and be able to read prints. I also do a great amount of mechanical work. I enjoy the job and it is a rewarding job.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Long hours and its hot.
Manufacturing industry work
Planning and Scheduling Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, ALOctober 30, 2018
Every day safety is number 1! Great job with great benefits. Can be stressful as it is a 24 hour shift job, but also rewarding through great pay and benefits. Management tries to be fair, but also controlled via Union contract. Lots of money to be made, as overtime is usually available. Advancement is possible in many different fields of the plant
Pros
Advancement, pay, benefits
Cons
sometimes mandatory overtime, Unions keeping jobs for bad workers
Good place to work.
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Gary, INSeptember 6, 2018
Good place to work. The benefits are good also. Staying focused on your job is a must! Operating in a steel mill is dangerous and can be deadly if you don't watch what you're doing. Having a good attitude towards safety and your fellow co-workers goes a long way.

Shift work isn't that easy, but having days off during the week has it's benefits though.

I love operating heavy equipment. It never gets old for me. Crew Leading is more of a challenge, but still isn't bad.

Hardest part of my job is not having the right tools to get it done. Makes for a very long shift.
Pros
Good benefits, pay, and strong focus on safety.
Cons
Broke down equipment, dangerous working enviroments.
Always very safety orientated, which keeps all of us safe.
Heater, soaking pit cranes. (Former Employee) –  Fairless Hills, PANovember 23, 2018
Worked my up to the highest position, loved many of the jobs, very challenging. Got along with everyone. loved the benefits, always enjoyed coming to work, did my best we were on incentive.
When we changed over to computers from manually set temperatures in the soakings I was there to learn both ways, which was great when computers were down.
Cons
shift change from nights to day was always rough but only 5 days.
Poor Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIOctober 23, 2018
High level of employees looking for outside opportunities. People do not feel respected or listened to. Little respect for management. Use of outside contract company in India reducing the internal employee work loads and reducing headcount.
Pros
Good 401k Plan
Cons
Work Life Balance, Lack of Decision Making
Best job ever
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, ALOctober 5, 2018
change into work uniform, go to maintenance shop, get line-up, gather tools and parts. Pre-check vehicle, proceed to breakdown location. Communicate with needed personnel in that area. Lock out-tag out. gather proper PPE. Fill out work permit and safety forms, perform work, test repairs, remove all locks and sign papers. clean up area and return to maintenance area for next assignment.
Pros
Money, benefits, work conditions
Cons
others attitude
Executives are more concerned with advancing themselves and not their employees
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gary, INSeptember 19, 2018
the benefits are great, but USS does not care about its employees. Management cut employees daily who were great workers just to save a few dollars and put everyone’s safety in jeopardy.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Little advancement
Was a good place to work
Millwright/Welder (Current Employee) –  Gary, INSeptember 2, 2018
The CEO is out of his mind not wanting to negotiate we Haven't had a raise in 6 years now he wants to take our benefits from us with a minimal raise an offer us craap for benefits the hole point of the steel mill is the good benefits that's why you go to work there and risk your life in the environment.
Positive work environment
Shift Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gary, INOctober 17, 2018
Good place to work, has competitive pay plus good benefits. Opportunities to advance as needed. Good work life balance. twenty four hour 365 day work schedule.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Mandatory overtime
Typical day at work
Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Clairton, PASeptember 14, 2018
provide information and answer question from E-mails sent the day before, and throughout the day. answer phones, answer and fill walk-in order. Enter and send for approval orders for supplies, services, and adjustments to open orders. I can provide more information upon interview questions.
Pros
benifits are provided, reitrement plan, 401K
Cons
swing shifts, outside work in all weather
Us Steel has provided me with a great salary for me and my familya great work experience also.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Gary, INAugust 21, 2018
Us Steel has provided me with great training skills and a positive commitment to safety ,with great medical benefits and the opportunity to provide for my family.
Pros
Reliable pay, safety procedures
Cons
Long hours and a unappreciative union employees.
great pay, change shifts every 7 days
Shift Manager Blast Furnace (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILAugust 29, 2018
Great pay and benefits. Could be long hours and change shifts every 7 days. Could be mandated to stay another shift on a daily basis. Never knew when you would be allowed to leave. Year long exposed to elements outside.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
hours and weekly shift changes
Uss
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Clairton, PANovember 19, 2018
A very good place to work if you are willing to work. Has a lot of good benefits and really helps you reach the max out of your career. I really appreciated this job.
Was an enjoyable workplace
Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 30, 2018
Enjoyed the job until entire department outsourced to another country. We were given flexibility and freedom to process work as needed. Benefits were great, but unsure of current situation.
work place
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Clairton, PAOctober 13, 2018
Mandatory overtime with call offs, poor working conditions. If someone calls off, must work their shift if next in line. Equipment not well kept. No pay raises for 5 years. Lack of support.
Rewarding
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 3, 2018
A great learning experience. I had all health benefits. I guess I was paid ok for the times back then. Everybody seemed to be working and there was no problems on our job. We all got along. when the layoff came I was able to retire and get a pension.
Locomotive Operator (Former Employee) –  Gary, INDecember 3, 2018
kind of stuck in there ways, Benefits are good, overtime is available potential to make good money if you want to live at work.work can be hard due to the conditions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight