United States Steel Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
liked working there
SHIFT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Gary, INSeptember 17, 2018
Wish I could have stayed at USS as a shift Manager. I enjoyed working with all the people. It was very unfortunate that economic times forced the involuntary termination.
Fading Industry, will go quietly into the night if not protected by Government
Manager Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILSeptember 16, 2018
Arrogant management, unrealistic union. Bad combination for survival. Good starter job for college graduate, but better opportunities and culture can be found elsewhere.
Pros
Good starter job
Cons
likely not around to get you to the end of your career
Typical day at work
Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Clairton, PASeptember 14, 2018
provide information and answer question from E-mails sent the day before, and throughout the day. answer phones, answer and fill walk-in order. Enter and send for approval orders for supplies, services, and adjustments to open orders. I can provide more information upon interview questions.
Pros
benifits are provided, reitrement plan, 401K
Cons
swing shifts, outside work in all weather
It's a great work place.
Web Developer/ FullStack developer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 13, 2018
Great work place with talented colleagues. It's a nice place to learn new things quickly. Management is too good. My experience was challenging and rewarding.
Great Company to work for.
Manager Level II (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, ALSeptember 10, 2018
I would love to work for United states Steel again as the unit I worked for was closed down due to economic conditions in 2015.United States Steel provides a stable and secure feeling to it's workers with opportunities to grow as a person as well as an employee.
Long hours low pay high stress
Utility Technician (Current Employee) –  Clairton, PASeptember 9, 2018
Management is terrible, hours suck, no sick days, more time at work than with your family. Work holidays and weekends. Forced overtime Corporate greed high stress environment
Pros
Water pressure in the showers are nice
Cons
You shower with 20 other guys like prison
Repetitive and boring work
UTILITY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Hughes Springs, TXSeptember 7, 2018
Doing the same thing every day, schedule changes often, and upper management is rude and disrespectful! Most employees are helpful then there's the ones that are entitled and don't help because of their "seniority"
Good place to work.
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Gary, INSeptember 6, 2018
Good place to work. The benefits are good also. Staying focused on your job is a must! Operating in a steel mill is dangerous and can be deadly if you don't watch what you're doing. Having a good attitude towards safety and your fellow co-workers goes a long way.

Shift work isn't that easy, but having days off during the week has it's benefits though.

I love operating heavy equipment. It never gets old for me. Crew Leading is more of a challenge, but still isn't bad.

Hardest part of my job is not having the right tools to get it done. Makes for a very long shift.
Pros
Good benefits, pay, and strong focus on safety.
Cons
Broke down equipment, dangerous working enviroments.
busy/demanding work
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 4, 2018
The Clairton Works Coke plant ii a very physically demmanding job. I am an electrical maitenance team leader. The machinery is always in need of repair or updating.
Was a good place to work
Millwright/Welder (Current Employee) –  Gary, INSeptember 2, 2018
The CEO is out of his mind not wanting to negotiate we Haven't had a raise in 6 years now he wants to take our benefits from us with a minimal raise an offer us craap for benefits the hole point of the steel mill is the good benefits that's why you go to work there and risk your life in the environment.

Want to know more about United States Steel?

Ask a question
Hard work hot environment and somewhat dirty
Machine Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Ecorse, MISeptember 2, 2018
Safety meeting. Go over any situations that may have came up day prior.
Job assignments. Work orders for specific jobs are handed out to everyone
Work on tasks ,troubleshoot,lube,oil,repair
Lunch
Finish tasks,etc.
Cleanup areas utilized
Shower
Pros
Paid lunches showers and breaks
Cons
Alot of walking
Hard environment/long hours/tough management
Area Manager Operations - Continuous Casting (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILAugust 30, 2018
Long hours, high expectations, minimal reward for performance, pay is good enough to make it hard to leave or find a comparable job in the same geographical location.
great pay, change shifts every 7 days
Shift Manager Blast Furnace (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILAugust 29, 2018
Great pay and benefits. Could be long hours and change shifts every 7 days. Could be mandated to stay another shift on a daily basis. Never knew when you would be allowed to leave. Year long exposed to elements outside.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
hours and weekly shift changes
Good Team
Operational Excellence Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Ecorse, MIAugust 27, 2018
Not a challenging environment for my level of experience. Felt like there was no room for advancement because no other position seemed appealing. I am looking for a company to retire with. USS is not that company.
Why work here
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Gary, InAugust 24, 2018
If you’re not educated at all this is a good way to make money for a decent living. You’re free time will be cut down dramatically. Most people develop diabetes do to extensive shirt work and long hours.
Pros
Affordable living expenses
Cons
Not breaks and too many hours
Poorly managed company as a whole
Benefits Service Center Associate II (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 24, 2018
USS is a slow sinking ship. A combination of poor management decisions, and a greedy Steelworkers Union will be the death of a once great company. No advancement opportunities.
Enjoyed the meetings even though I was a contractor.
Data Imaging Assistant 1 (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 23, 2018
My experience at US Steel was busy as a contract employee, which I like. I enjoyed what my duties each day. It was pleasant and upbeat. My hours were exactly what I wanted.
Us Steel has provided me with a great salary for me and my familya great work experience also.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Gary, INAugust 21, 2018
Us Steel has provided me with great training skills and a positive commitment to safety ,with great medical benefits and the opportunity to provide for my family.
Pros
Reliable pay, safety procedures
Cons
Long hours and a unappreciative union employees.
Worked my butt off
Warehouse Associate / Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 18, 2018
A typical day at work meant spending 12=14 hours on my feet doing repetitive tasks with a break every 4 hours. The workplace culture wasn't very good unless you are Hispanic and/or a family member of one of the supervisors.
Cons
Long hours, short lunches
Review
Senior Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 16, 2018
US Steel was a good company to work for, the people there were good and the benefits were good as well. I worked there for two years and have no complaints

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight