United States Steel Employee Reviews

Rewarding
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 3, 2018
A great learning experience. I had all health benefits. I guess I was paid ok for the times back then. Everybody seemed to be working and there was no problems on our job. We all got along. when the layoff came I was able to retire and get a pension.
supervisor
Sheet finishing and Annealing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dravosburg, PANovember 1, 2018
Was a good job just too many hours per week. Mill environment was generally not the cleanest. People were good but was with a union and that baggage that comes with.
Manufacturing industry work
Planning and Scheduling Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, ALOctober 30, 2018
Every day safety is number 1! Great job with great benefits. Can be stressful as it is a 24 hour shift job, but also rewarding through great pay and benefits. Management tries to be fair, but also controlled via Union contract. Lots of money to be made, as overtime is usually available. Advancement is possible in many different fields of the plant
Pros
Advancement, pay, benefits
Cons
sometimes mandatory overtime, Unions keeping jobs for bad workers
Run! Stay away
Millwright Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ecorse, MIOctober 27, 2018
This place is a place of complete nightmares. If you a family forget it. Your wife will be spending your money and banging your neighbor. Your kids won't know you and your dog will bite you!
Poor Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIOctober 23, 2018
High level of employees looking for outside opportunities. People do not feel respected or listened to. Little respect for management. Use of outside contract company in India reducing the internal employee work loads and reducing headcount.
Pros
Good 401k Plan
Cons
Work Life Balance, Lack of Decision Making
Purely product driven
Shift Manager - Operations (Current Employee) –  Gary, INOctober 22, 2018
The company does pay very well. However, from a company aspect in todays World, they are very behind the times. They run a working environment much like the 1950's.
Top Down Manufacturing System
Maintenance Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ecorse, MIOctober 19, 2018
Very outdated culture and manufacturing processes. It does requires a tremendous amount of hours. You are on call every day and night, but they do provide a company phone that you are to maintain at all times. An extremely hazardous place to work. Noxious gases, molten metal, bursting pipes, serious injuries, fatalities, cancerous chemicals and dilapidated structures. However, it is a crash course in manufacturing and exposure to heavy industrial systems unlike anywhere else. Free coffee.
Pros
Lots to learn from
Cons
Conditions
Fast paced
ERP (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 17, 2018
Worked in an ERP role, got to work with many folks from diverse backgrounds who were able to help me learn more about my role and more about things that would help me advance in my future.
Positive work environment
Shift Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gary, INOctober 17, 2018
Good place to work, has competitive pay plus good benefits. Opportunities to advance as needed. Good work life balance. twenty four hour 365 day work schedule.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Mandatory overtime
Very good place to work, however they only work swing shift!
Metalurgical Chemical Tech. (Former Employee) –  Ecorse, MIOctober 17, 2018
I loved the job and the people. But being on swing shift settings I was unable to continue and was forced to leave. Never getting on a set shift I broke down.My health in many ways.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
horrible hours
work place
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Clairton, PAOctober 13, 2018
Mandatory overtime with call offs, poor working conditions. If someone calls off, must work their shift if next in line. Equipment not well kept. No pay raises for 5 years. Lack of support.
short lived
Account Representative II (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIOctober 9, 2018
I have never worked for a company where people have so much free time on there hands, able to be on your phone all day. I guess why we were laid off.
Pros
lots of free time
Cons
short lived
Best job ever
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, ALOctober 5, 2018
change into work uniform, go to maintenance shop, get line-up, gather tools and parts. Pre-check vehicle, proceed to breakdown location. Communicate with needed personnel in that area. Lock out-tag out. gather proper PPE. Fill out work permit and safety forms, perform work, test repairs, remove all locks and sign papers. clean up area and return to maintenance area for next assignment.
Pros
Money, benefits, work conditions
Cons
others attitude
unsafe
Mechanical Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILOctober 3, 2018
Management rules by intimidation. We where always under staffed. You where never given enough supplies or tools to work with and wasted countless amount of time stealing things from each department because area management would get bonuses for not spending money. It is a very dirty work place with dangerous work at times. They talk safety until they need sometime done fast. I was exposed to asbestos for three day as my supervisor lied to me saying it wasn't asbestos. I asked why weren't any signs up warning us of the danger and my area manager told me you guys never read those things anyway. We would have to change shifts at least two times a week sometimes three different shifts in one week. You would be lucky to get one weekend off a month. No matter what it wasn't done fast enough. You where never told good job are anything like that. It is a very hostile intimidating environment.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
It is a very dangerous unsafe place to work.
Safety first
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  White Hall, AROctober 3, 2018
well with this job you can indeed provide for your family, but spending with them is definitely out the question. we worked 12 hr shifts for 7 days a week.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
big lay offs
Utility Technician/ Pump Tender
Utility Operator (Current Employee) –  Clairton, PAOctober 2, 2018
I am a trained plant operation technician committed to company core values, driving results, and exceeding expectations. Safety-conscious and skilled in the operation of all plant duties, machinery, and equipment. I have 5 years working in the water treatment plant, 1.5 years in gas handling, and 6 years in operations and half year in heating/patching. Monitored flows, pressures, feed levels & indicators. I recorded inside & outside process readings on a daily log sheets. Performed minor mechanical work & routine equipment maintenance. I operated a dump truck, fork lifts, and scissor lifts. Loaded and unloaded byproducts daily. Conducted safety inspections and followed safety rules and procedures. Executed field service work with minimal to no supervision. Retrieved and performed water samples and implement process changes. Recorded gas volumes and process analyzer reading. Adjusted pumping systems, chemical feeders, auxiliary equipment, and pump station indicators. Operated plate and belt presses. Tranferred lime to the soaker machines. Operated and switched pumps weekly in the Water Treatment Plant at US STEEL. I also ran a heavy machinery like a pusher machine, door machine, and Larry car in the operation department. Now I fix battery walls and fill cracks with a slurry mixture. I also keep the battery temperatures around 2200-2400 degree temperatures. I add gas when needed to keep these temperatures. I wear metatarsal boots, gloves, safety hat, face mask, and safety pants and coat.
Pros
Stable work place, vacation pay, medical and dental, profit sharing
Cons
Work all hours in a day, cancerious environment, forced 16 hours a day. Cotract disputes every three years with possibilities of strkes.
Utility (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 25, 2018
Decent company . Great pay for the amount of work but extremely long periods of doing nothing . Have to clean to keep busy just to prevent from causing trouble
Not that bad
Field Systems Analysis II (Former Employee) –  Troy, MISeptember 24, 2018
It's not that bad of a place to work. I was in IT and we had a lot of freedom. They do work you to the bone and the constant on-call is why I left. We had a lot of layoffs and they stripped away several benefits like tuition reimbursement.
Dangerous work
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Gary, INSeptember 21, 2018
Us Steel doesnt care for their employees. They give not enough reconition to them and their rewards are none. Its been a take away from employees such as I for some years now and they insist on keeping it that way. Their upper management should be ashamed of themselves
Pros
Vacations
Cons
Upper management, dangerous very hot work
Executives are more concerned with advancing themselves and not their employees
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gary, INSeptember 19, 2018
the benefits are great, but USS does not care about its employees. Management cut employees daily who were great workers just to save a few dollars and put everyone’s safety in jeopardy.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Little advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight