United States Steel
Information from United States Steel:

United States Steel Employee Reviews

United States1,344 reviews
Found 1,344 reviews matching the search
USS compensation/benefits is excellent. It is family wage pay. Tough to find. I make less than half now what I made at USS. Big adjustment. USS work culture is not for everyone. That is all I got to say about that.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Nothing follows
Worked for this company for ten years and it is by far has the worst management I’ve ever worked for . Never been in a establishment quite like this before . At first I was excited to work but was told to stop working so hard .
Pros
Sleeping on the job
Cons
Leaving the job site to go to sleep and not get paid for
My Department manager was "Horrible " . He would threaten employees , had been fired a few times and escorted out by Police but was eventually rehired . I couldn't understand it . He was vvery rude and vfc had was very demeaning . The Union does not work in the South . On negotiation of a new labor contract our representatives were given the new contract and today to "Sign it" . End of negotiations .
Pros
None, it was a job .
Cons
if u want to live follow all safety rules. Or u will die like many others have. Union works with supervisor behind our backs.. just dont trust no one
Pros
money
Cons
u can die
Laid off and lose seniority. Treat employees like garbage. During a plant closing they were supposed to transfer employees by seniority the union let them do it by how they felt to do it. Union is the worst union that I ever worked for.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Never called back to work after layoff
I Lost everything thing!

US STEEL Corporation has no loyalty to employees! Company Sucks! They Suck Suck Suck Suck Suck Suck Suck Suck and Suck More!
Pros
Salary while it lasted.
Cons
Layoffs! Company only concerned about profits!
Company pushing in a diffrent direction.
Managment concerned with saving every bottom line dollar, and not focusing on well rounded safety/production ratio.
I loved this job for many years. The people were great, the environment was safe, and the pay was decent. My boss was terrific and always understood when I had to go and take care of something. The pay was average, but the raises were sub par. They supposedly have performance based raises, but in actuality the raises are based on their budget (when times are bad, which is often, no one gets raises regardless of performance). They also have frequent layoffs at all levels of the company.
Pros
Fun job, good people, good culture, safe
Cons
No job security, poor raises/advancement
My experience is somewhat unique as I am a Maintenance Tech. for their Tubular Central Maintenance Unit, as a result I do not work swing shift work and are able to trouble shoot and perform work all over the plant and plant grounds. This environment is great as mindless monotony is very toxic for me.
Pros
Paid benefits, great working tools, paid for PPE
Cons
Potential rotating shift work schedules, potential covering of anyone who calls off of their scheduled shift
Worked longer shifts than I planned on working, met a lot of great people and made some good friends there also. I would tell anyone to apply there to work it’s a great place to start
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Too much overtime
do your job, leave the drama outside when you come in. Don't gossip about BS rumors and work together as a team; safely!!!!
Clock out.

working here is awesome you can support your family and retire with good benefits.
Pros
family type environment
Cons
the union doesn't do its due diligence
The job was good how ever the only issue I had was that they work a swing shift setting. Which it is ok if you are singal but having a family was very hard to manage!
For the most part the direct supervision I worked with was above average, unfortunately the upper brass and corporate pretty much do whatever they need to do to make money
Pros
pay good and benefits were great
Cons
long work hours and forced to work overtime constantly
Nothing more to tell this is stupid that they are force me to complete this when all I want to do is put in apps to try and find a job Nothing more to
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
I spent 20 years at the company and overall a great experience. Was taught alot of skills related to the industry. It’s a dangerous and difficult industry to work but was able to remain and our mill was awarded the company safety award in 2019.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours, very few days off
Great workforce to work with. The money is excellent but the hours you have to work overshadow your personal life. Health Benefits are excellent. If Upper Management had a brain they would be dangerous.
Pros
Good Money, Benefits and Great Workers
Cons
Poor Upper Management, No Job Security
United States Steel is a good corporation to work for if you don't get layed off. I learned how to drive a forklift & operate a pallet jack both manual and electric.
The division I was assigned to served the oil and gas industry and was very volatile due industry market demand. There were many reductions in force over my years there, however I was not affected through any of those events until the plant indefinitely idled in April this year
Pros
Great benefits, rewarding career
Cons
Employment reliability
It is a good place to get a salary for living on temporary. However poor management makes low profitability and poor company culture. Most of all layoff happens almost every year.
Pros
Good work-life balance
Cons
Frequent layoff
This is a better steel business. They at least know who is valuable in there job. Let go of to many people who actually know how to much steel. The other steel mills are reinventing the wheel again and think white collar management know how to make steel.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Not enough experience people to know quality pipe
Management talks down/yells to employees, you are nothing but a number and a body. Management preaches safety but doesnt practice it, they want you to kill yourself doing the job as quick as you can. Not to mention the many health hazards you are exposed to. The blast furnace is by far the worst area to be. The only good from the job is the free health insurance.
Pros
insurance
Cons
managment, communication, and pay rate.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Steel. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8
2.8
Ratings from women
2.4
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
2.6Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight