United Supermarkets Employee Reviews

I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Sacker (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 19, 2019
The costumers were no problem at all. They were very understanding and I had one incident where a costumer defended me against another employee. The management played favorites and did not try to hide it. I was told I was told by one manager that I was not good at my job after the incident above because it occurred with one of her favorites. The company often advertises that they are understanding with school schedules and I would ask for one day off for a school activity and I would only get scheduled for one day that week, sometimes none. The job was definitely not worth the stress it caused.
Pros
I built a skill for costumer service
Cons
Everything else
A Hood First Job
Checker/Cashier & Stocker (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXDecember 10, 2018
United is nice for the average high schooler looking to earn some cash, but it wasn’t working for me once I went to college because the hours were very inconsistent week to week and the pay was low. Getting days off was very easy and convenient though and it works well for student involved at school, holidays, family vacations, etc. you just don’t get paid days off.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Inconsistent hours and low pay
i was a manager
Grocery Retail Chain/Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  DFW, TXJanuary 19, 2019
i was a manager for them for close to 14 years. i chose to leave to be closer to my family home and i wish i didn’t leave. i love this company and regret leaving so i have been working on get back on with the company. they take care of the team memebers with personal tome gain with vacation tome earned along with holiday pay and christmas bonus’s.
Moderate job
Checker (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 13, 2018
I have been working at United for over a year now and I can say it is the easiest job you will find. The hours are very flexible and easy. However I have not gotten a raise from my low hourly pay wage and they won't appreciate the work you have done for them. Expect favoritism within the management and don't be surprised if you're the one that has to pick up the slack of lazy workers. I can say that you will bond with the coworkers pretty easily and get breaks working short shifts. You'll make a lot of friends and customers will tell you their life stories from time to time. The store I work at is relatively new and slow due to the location, so it's not as busy as how others can be which is a pro. It's a great first job, but if you're looking for a higher pay than minimum wage I wouldn't recommend it.
Poor
Bookkeeper/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 6, 2019
Poorly ran store location
Stressful
Was not properly trained in the beginning and then was scolded for it down the road.
They don't seem to pay attention to the mental health of their employees.
Hardest part was the management not communicating effectively; also not being paid your worth.
Most enjoyable part was the customers.
Easy work, great coworkers, unfriendly managers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colleyville, TXNovember 12, 2018
Gets pretty stressful on weekends or holidays. Co-workers made this job bearable due to the unfriendly customers. Fast paced job during prime hours, but is very calm during morning and night shifts. Had great memories with co-workers and made many friends. I've learned a lot about customer service and working a cash register.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
mean customers, workers are expendable
Was great until everyone started showing their true colors... /:
CD (Former Employee) –  Colleyville, TXFebruary 18, 2019
Everything seemed great until three months. Things got iffy, to bad, to worse and coasted from there. The department was chaotic. Manager had no leadership, respect or communication, always angry, cussing and not approachable. She rubbed off everyone causing negativity and the department couldn't work as a team...
Good part time work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burkburnett, TXJanuary 12, 2019
I worked at United Supermarket on the days that I wasn't working at my regular job. The management there was really great with working with my schedule and with allowing me to switch my shifts when I needed. They also gave me the opportunity to work at stocking and making valentine arrangments.
Pros
great part time job
productive medium-fast paced
Food service clerk (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXOctober 22, 2018
I worked the hot table which means I provided guest with food and their ticket to take to the register to pay. That part of the job was usually slow but would pick up the past if we had a lot of guest come at once. I say the most fast paced part of the job was when we shut down and cleaned our section everyone is in a hurry to finish cleaning everything so we could leave and clock out on time.
Cons
no free food
I loved my job! I was an asset to the company. They were bought out by a different Corporation, and changes were made
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXOctober 25, 2018
United is a great place to work as a younger persons first job. They are willing to work around school schedules and accommodate the sport schedules.
I loved my job! i started in 2002-2018. My job duties were to asst the store director in all of his office work.
Pros
open availability
Cons
raises
Overall job satisfaction
Food Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXOctober 15, 2018
As a product demonstrator I was tasked with promoting new products and at Holidays, staples as well as party platters and prepared dinners. It was overheard and repeated to me that "She could sell ice cream to Eskimo's". Management was pleased with my work and I enjoyed it because I got to meet and talk to a lot of different people.
It was hard sometimes, considering I worked in the deli department to respect the diversified cultures that came to try my samples but I was always able to avoid insulting anyone. The fun part of the job was seeing the smiles when someone thought they didn't like something but I talked them into trying it and they were surprised it was so good.
Pros
Talking with people
Cons
Had to supply my own table decorations and display dishes
Questionable
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Vernon, TXOctober 4, 2018
You get there and they say their family but you do one thing wrong and they will make you feel like your the worst person alive for the rest of the day and you can't call in for Any reason cause if you do you get fired! I believe they are bias and play games with people. It's a good job if you can put up with people actively trying to make it seem like they are better than you!!
Pros
Pay check
Cons
Management makes no attempt to get to know employees.
Service Counter (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 2, 2018
I worked for this company since I was 15 and left 8+ years later. When I was there the benefits were not that great. I was full time. I hear the benefits are better now. My biggest issue was management and favoritism. They have soo many front end leads that are children, really children that are entitled brats. I worked at the service counter for 2 years and some of the front ends would slack off and be lazy.. I also had some issues with store directors and management in general, So many of them are unprofessional. I would never make a career out of this company but it is a good place to start as a first job. All my siblings have worked for this company. All have left as well.
Pros
Good first time job
Cons
management
Clean Store, Work was a typical day and enjoyable
Checker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Muleshoe, TXNovember 27, 2018
I enjoyed working with customers and the team members. They were good workers and so was my supervisor and the bosses there. The part that I enjoyed ab out my this job was being able to work as a checker and I learned quickly how to check out customers and bagged their groceries.
Cons
no healthcare.
GREAT Experience
Sacker (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXOctober 19, 2018
Ever since walking through the doors of United Supermarkets' Market Street, I absolutely LOVED working with such great, hardworking people. I feel that everything in between management and team members is highly valued, and the company does its very best to teach real life skills that stick with each team member, for the rest of their lives.

The hardest part was being on the move, more often than not, in a more steady-paced environment. But, it surely teaches you to have an even better work ethic from the very first day that you start.

Overall, this is an incredible company where everybody knows each other, within the store, and everyone is treated with respect and like family. What more could you ask for?!?! THIS is a GREAT place to work!
Pros
Good breaks, flexible scheduling.
Cons
Can be extremely hard work, depending on who you are.
No matter how many times I ask for 20+ hours, my hours go down everytime !
Sacker (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 10, 2019
I don’t like United because they don’t schedule me and wrote me up for something I called in a day earlier. I had a school function going on when I was scheduled to work and I called in and they told me it was ok and then wrote me up .
Pros
10% Discounts on floral and bakery.
Productive and clean place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Littlefield, TXSeptember 19, 2018
I loved working at United the management team where great people to work with and I loved that they gave me the opportunity to not only learn to work as a cashier but also learn the shipping department and price tags. I also loved that United teams always worked as a team it wasn’t like I can’t do that is not my department but they all work together to make United a better place for customers to shop and work.
General Merchandising Manager/ Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Seminole, TXFebruary 3, 2019
I worked for almost 6 yrs and was able to learn so much from cashiering to bookkeeper to gm manager had one on one with customers I also worked as a back door reciever, price coordinating ,produce as well as fuel attendant
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Driving
fast paced work place
Bookkeeper/Guest Service (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 13, 2018
A typical day here is stressful. The coworkers are always in a bad mood and complain often. Management was nice in some of the stores I worked in but awful in others. The job requires a lot of walking and standing and little time for breaks. They do not give out raises fairly, especially for the work put in.
Cons
short breaks no raises
Job intended for high school and college students
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 20, 2018
Very little advancement opportunity, pay across the board is bad, and management at my store was poor. My manager was a pushover and corporate did little to improve anything. The only positive for this job is the work schedule is flexible.