United Technologies Corporation Employee Reviews

Highly political office.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 13, 2018
United Technologies Fort Worth office follows Government Compliance rules when it is convenient for them only. Poor communication for such a small office. Front office is not run professionally.
Pros
Smaller office
Cons
Extremely political. Have to be in the right group.
Excellent Company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTOctober 11, 2018
I worked for United technologies for many years but was laid off twice due to re-organization within the company. I have been trying to get back to UTC for quite some time now with no luck. It is very hard to get back into UTC once you’ve been let go because they hire internally first. So the chances of getting in as an external hire are very slim
Small office with relaxed working conditions.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Walled Lake, MIOctober 8, 2018
Typing invoice for deliveries, filing and answering phone. As a employee of UTA, I was able to attend offsite workshops and learn about quality control. UTA was a good place to work and management was relaxed. Low rating on job security because the facility I was working at closed down.
Pros
Benefits and working environment.
Cons
Office closed dowm.
Opportunity for advancement was good
Sr Analyst, Mfg/Prod/Inventory Planning (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 8, 2018
Great place to work. Opportunity for advancement was good. Opportunity for relocation in other cities was good as well. Plenty of travel as well. All around loved working there.
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Huntington, IN 46750October 7, 2018
Productive and good place to work in Shipping and Receiving. I would wait until trucks would shop up and I would receive in the product and put it away for eight hours a day. for overtime I would work 2 to 4 hours at the warehouse or the factory.
Pros
Good pay, clean place to work, good benefits, and I like the people I work with.
Cons
really did not see any cons
Great people to work with, management cares about their people.
Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 6, 2018
This is a great company to work for, I enjoy the people I work with and have the utmost respect for them. The culture at the company is good, and they stress having a work/life balance.
More work with less people
Staff / Project Engineer Level V (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 4, 2018
The culture at UTC is to work more hours, nights and weekends included. They keep winning new business and are not willing to hire accordingly. This drives a poor work/life balance and low employee morale.
Good Training
Designer (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIOctober 2, 2018
I was pretty happy there. They put me through training and I worked under some good people. Only left because I did not get a pay raise that they promised.
Excellent company to work for
Space Systems Senior Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTOctober 2, 2018
Been a very rewarding experience for me. Providing educational opportunities to perform job more efficiently. Ability to apply for new positions as they become available and as your career focus changes.
Pros
Excellent company
Cons
Plant is closing and moving to Mexico
Electrical Assembler (Current Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCSeptember 30, 2018
The company is closing and moving to Mexico. United Technologies has great benefits, such as four paid weeks of personal time off, one week of paid sick time, and the company pay for college tuition.
Amazing opportunities
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  NASA Stennis Space Center, MSSeptember 30, 2018
This global Fortune 500 provided me a number of incredible opportunities during my career.

Quality Engineer: Ranked Exceptional Performer in 2009, 2012, and 2013 (top 4%).
Just learning how to work at Motor's company.
Import/Export Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXSeptember 26, 2018
-make window lift motor's
-how make set-up a screw drive machine
-good
-poor,just running a screwmachine
-Working 7 day's a week
-Chrismas party
Learn more skills when you help other coworkers
Technician Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 26, 2018
I like working in repair department. Because you get more experiences than others area. Now the only problem is the confined spaces are not there anymore.
Pros
Overtime is flexible
Cons
Confined space and safety are over look
Fair
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Westford, MASeptember 25, 2018
IT functions are prohibitive. Very big company mentality. Not much emphasis on employee cultivation. Travel restriction issue for most Westford employees.

Do your research before applying to each business unit.

SBU Acquisition merger/fracture delay can effect morale throughout individual SBU.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
It is a good place to work.
assember (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNSeptember 20, 2018
. I like the work and environment
.I like my supervisor and my manager and the management
. There are some nice people and some are not.
. It is a good company over all.
good
Management Experience
Regional Sales Manager - Western Region (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CASeptember 19, 2018
As an exceptionally large company that needs to support immense overhead, UTC has an extremely high quality and rigorous financial.management structure. The talent is high because the HR management is extremely well run. Starting at the very top of the company, those functional areas drive this business forward and the rest of the management delivers as necessary to hit the targets that are clearly being established before a new year starts.
At United Technonolies Automotive, I was assigned to start at a Join Venture with Furukawa Electric Company.
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 17, 2018
The Company CEO gave me the opportunity to star a join venture between United Technologies and Furukawa Electric Company. Our Customers were all the Automotive Japanese Companies that needs to manufactured the High Volume Automotive sold at the United States of America market.
Pros
I learned all Just In Time techniques from Japan.
Cons
I had two bosses at that time, one from the USA Compay and one from the Japan Company.
United Technologies Aerospace Systems
Staff Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCSeptember 14, 2018
There are many United Technologies Aerospace Systems business units, so it is hard to provide a one-size-fits all review. I had the unique opportunity to view the company from the inside and the outside with regard to Fire Protection Systems for Aero and Defense programs. Regardless of the corporate mantra, the local business is very much at the mercy of local management. Local management makes itself look good to upper management and customers, while low level salaried professionals get left holding the bag.

One example is in how they implemented the mandate for something called Standard Work, forcing it on the engineers, then forcing them to skirt around it when programs fell off track. Another is placating customer requests that are clearly outside the bounds of reasonable while, again, expecting low-level salaried employees to clean up the mess. It's easy to hide when these people are not getting paid anymore because of it and chastised for speaking out about it. But, ultimately the program winds up costing much more because you can only squeeze so much out of them and the schedule gets stretched out...way out.

So, what to do...plan better...manage risk...do it right the first time. No, find cheaper engineering labor, of course!
Experienced american citizens are overlooked for jobs they are clearly qualified for, just so the company can put or keep foreign nationals in a position they can pay them less for. The claim is made that indigenous talent is not available. Also, the company thinks nothing of employing large numbers of foreign nationals on temporary
  more... work visas or sending work oversees to achieve the corporate mandate for 25% or more low-cost outsourcing of engineering jobs. Some enterprising former UTC executives started a company called Info-Tech which is slowly but surely getting better at taking engineering jobs oversees. Years ago the quality of the work was bad, but the contracts kept going to Info-Tech, shepherded by the cozy executive relationships. Now UTAS and other A&D companies are struggling to find the workers and the US Gov't has made H1b visas harder to get. Perhaps a good lesson for UTAS and other big business that the virtual open border has closed, at least for the current administration.  less
Poor
Materials Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTSeptember 13, 2018
My supervisor did not take into consideration I had to go back to school. Other managers in my team were understanding and willing to work with me. Felt a bit thrown into the wolves for an overall experience.
Project Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 12, 2018
UTC was a great place to work for a direct position, but as a contractor there was a two year maximum. I was my own boss and i was allowed to do it all.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Technologies Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

61out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at United Technologies Corporation.

Powered by Comparably