United Way Employee Reviews

Found 1,659 reviews matching the search See all 1,793 reviews
Incredible Culture of Giving
Resource Development Officer (Project Manager) (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 12, 2018
I joined the United Way right after retiring from the U.S. Army. I wanted an opportunity to get to know my community and give back to the civilian community after all the years of support from them for the military. I truly received more from the experience of working at Pikes Peak United Way than I gave. I got to see first hand the impact of our contributions and the lives they changed. I learned all about fundraising and how different approaches worked in different industries.
Pros
Positive Interaction with Community, First Hand Witness of Charitable Impact
Cons
Long Hours
Great People, Great Work, More internal than external Benefits
Campaign Outreach Associate (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 11, 2018
The job is, as one would expect, very rewarding as congruent with the common nature of doing non-profit work. There are plenty of opportunities for growth and development of ones skills, but not as much opportunity when it pertains to horizontal movement. The pay and benefits are sufficient for a good living wage, but for this and most other non-profit organizations, don't enter the field if you are given towards a more lucrative lifestyle. With this, I'd say the experience of working for United Way is one most anyone will appreciate and enjoy for their time there.
Good
Sr Accountant, Accounts Receivables, Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2018
Very Flexible, good benefits. Do your job right and you will be okay. Job offers 401k, good insurance, gym reimbursements, transportation reimbursements. People are nice and driven.
Volunteer work was great for my community.
Volunteer work in community trash pick up (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZNovember 29, 2018
Wanting to volunteer for my community was an awesome experience. Meeting new people and getting to see more people out in the community helping clear away trash and clutter makes me feel like a better person.
Pros
Met new people in my community
Cons
Worked in hot sun
Love the work and the people
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHNovember 29, 2018
I love working with United Way and I love the work that I do. The hardest part is doing inventory, only because counting everything can get tiring. The best part is that I love my job and that is hard to find. The only reason I am looking for other work is because this is not a paid position that I do, it's kind of like an internship, it's for the work experience.
Pros
Easy to get along with coworkers
excellent source for nonprofit
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSITANT (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 26, 2018
I enjoyed working here it was a great experiance,the staff was very helpful. It provided a wonderful learning experience and I am glad to have been part of the staff there.
At one time this was a great place to work but that no longer exist at this non-profit
Resource Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 25, 2018
The management team at this organization do not have the employees best interest at heart. It was very disappointing how the leadership team did not care about the agencies we support and our donors.
Fun Times at United Way
Tocqueville Society Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 16, 2018
I learned different aspects of the organizational fund raising and key factors involved to make a community thrive. The most enjoyable part of working at this organization was being granted access to major companies and working together for the sake of the helping others within the community.
Pros
The organization is respected by Community Affiliations
Cons
Equal advancement opportunities regardless of position
Work Culture
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 15, 2018
I love the people work with and I love the work that UWCA does for the community. However, there is no way for anyone to cross train or advance. The work that I do is too easy and not challenging enough. I have experience working on projects and making decisions independently. However, I do not have any authority to make decisions on anything.
Pros
Helps the community
Cons
lack of career advancement and cross training
Honest and hard-working team members
Loaned Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 9, 2018
The United Way is committed to the community and there mission is to help those less fortunate. I learned a lot traveling around the county raising money for those in need
Pros
making difference in the community
Cons
low salary
good
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, NYNovember 9, 2018
a friendly, relaxed, collaborative work environment. it can be a little slow. I worked as an unpaid intern, the manager was helpful and gave a fair amount of work to do. They gave advice and trained me.
Great Cause
Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Frostburg, MDNovember 8, 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed working for United Way. Without this organization, communities both small and large would be without crucial resources needed to better the lives of its members. United Way does its absolute best to recognize the organizations its communities needs the most.
Frustrating Director
CAMPAIGN COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Burlington, WANovember 6, 2018
I was hired by the Resource Development Director because the office was going through some much needed changes and they wanted a modern approach to what they've been doing the same for 50 years. Everything I approached the Executive Director with was denied. Because of their lack of marketing, the pay is very minimal, so much so that I had to move out of an apartment and back in with family. Also, budgeting was a huge issue, as there was no marketing budget. It got to a point where I gave up trying to propose anything new, did what I was asked, and went home miserable and undervalued.
Wonderful People to Work With
Campaign Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 6, 2018
I hope that I am able to move into a permanent position with United Way. They are a unique and talented group of people working to help Dane County. I have met people I hope to remain friends with for a long time regardless of if I get a permanent position here.
Great place to work.
Sr. AVP, Diversity and Inclusion (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 5, 2018
Great place to work.
Great place to launch your career and advance.
The work is satisfying.
Pay could be better but the people are great.
Helping to support people and the nonprofit sector is important.
Productive and professional place to volunteer at
Tax Preparer/Intake and Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 4, 2018
I was the Intake and Benefits Specialist for two tax seasons. My main goal is to greet clients who come to our site and connect them with a tax preparer, as well as providing information to those who need additional support for financial counseling and public benefits. Everyone at our tax site works very productively because we have lots of clients coming in at our open hours. I transferred to being a tax preparer in the third tax season, which was a great opportunity for me to help more low-income individuals and families to file their taxes.
Pros
Lots of nice and friendly volunteers
Nice Place to Work
Manager, Training & Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 3, 2018
I’ve loved working here. The pay and benefits are generous and the work environment is positive. There are times when management doesn’t plan ahead and then we have to stop work in progress to get something “urgent” done that should have been planned for in the beginning.
Pros
Free parking in parking garage, 401(k) match, insurance
Cons
Can be stressful at times and seems like there isn’t enough time to plan ahead
Community impact a main goal.
Campaign and Resource Development Director (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILNovember 2, 2018
Compassion for individuals in need a priority. Strong cooperation with local municipalities, organizations, agencies and education. Small staff with ambitious goals for multiple programs. Family setting with flexible work hours. Benefits limited.
na
Information and Referral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nyack, NYOctober 30, 2018
Experience working with diverse populations dealing with substance abuse problems. Ability to build rapport easily with law enforcement, healthcare facilities and social service agencies. Articulate communication skills and professional appearance. Strong desire to improve my community by advocating for patients and through building relationships with related agencies.
A Good Place to Start in Nonprofit
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 30, 2018
UW is an excellent place to get experience if you're interested in starting a career in nonprofit work, but it's not a place I would recommend for the long term.
Pros
A great place to get experience in fundraising and development
Cons
Long hours, very few opportunities to move up

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Way. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

4.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight