United Way Employee Reviews

Found 1,271 reviews matching the search See all 1,379 reviews
United Way does good work funding community service agencies. Getting to that outcome is painful for employees.
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAAugust 18, 2018
Employee turnover is a problem at United Way. Lower than average pay for most jobs. High stress environment (fundraising). Seeing people in need getting help partly due to your efforts is the most enjoyable part of the job. Some of the UW staff were difficult to work with. UW is an 'at will' employer, so you can be let go at any time, with no reason.
Pros
The flexible, 4-day work weeks during the summer were nice
Cons
Too. Many. Meetings! Some (not all) mean people there. Low pay.
This was a volunteer position.
Reading Pal (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLAugust 15, 2018
Great management and great atmosphere. Helping children to learn to read was a joy for me. Children sometimes need a little attention and a little praise and they will learn to stay focused on the lesson given to them and succeed.
A lot of turnover
Fundraising Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 15, 2018
While I was there I saw at least a third of the department quit or get fired. I am not sure if they were pushing people out to make changes or not. It was all very secretive.
A great organization, doing great things!
Marketing and Communications (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 14, 2018
No day was the same - in a good way. You felt good about the work you're doing.

Compensation was a bit low for the workload and there was no room for advancement. If there was room, there was no clear path on building your career within the organization.
Educational and helpful
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MIAugust 14, 2018
The United Way of Bay County is a great way to learn about your community and help clients through various links to businesses and agencies within the community. I really enjoyed learning about my community and helping others find ways to get the help they needed.
Pros
downtown location
great workplace
Financial Capability Specialist (Current Employee) –  LouisianaAugust 14, 2018
Great workplace, great coworkers.The work isn't that hard, it's just alot. You learn alot and get to meet really great people in the process. The best part is seeing what a difference you've made in someone's life.
See below
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2018
Great place to intern. Learned a great deal about policy writing and collaborative efforts between agencies affiliated with United Way. Enjoyed making presentations on Financial Literacy.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Again, my role with United Way was a volunteer during their annual campaign.
Campaign Chair (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 8, 2018
I focused on communication strategies and innovative ways to motivate employees of our company to donate to the United Way. I always started with Managers first, allowing them to lead the way. Of the large corporation I worked for, our site had the highest participation and contributions!
Pros
Engagement with community and United Way management.
Caring and fun
Student Success Academy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 8, 2018
A typical day was full of fun and collaboration.
I learned how to tap into children's interests.
Management was extremely helpful.
The culture was loving and fun.
The hardest part was the end; when having to say goodbye to the kids.
The most enjoyable part was being able to provide various experiences for children.
No review
Director, Tech Management and Business Products (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 6, 2018
The company is fine. There are new priorities, which are contributing towards change in structure and pace. These are good things, as long as everyone is clear as to their roles and are bought in.
2-1-1 Call Specialist
Community Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 5, 2018
A typical day for a call specialist is spending all day answering calls for assistance finding resources. This includes things like help with paying rent, utilities, and finding food pantries. While it is rewarding work, this can definitely be tiring. Overall, a good company with friendly people.
Pros
Sometimes there is free food, extra time off for donating to the agency
Cons
Expensive insurance
Internship Experience
Intern (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 5, 2018
Wonderful opportunity to learn more about the healthcare delivery system. Incredibly kind and flexible team, very family oriented and understanding. Would highly recommend.
Great Place to learn and work
Associate Director, Finance (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 2, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my tenure at United Way. I started as an Accounting Clerk and was promoted through the years to an Associate Director of Finance.

United Way provided me with numerous skills in leadership and development that helped shape the person and employee I am today.
Pros
Work life balance and autonomy
Cons
Healthcare costs at times were a bit costly
Work from home
Tax scheduler - 211 Operator (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 1, 2018
I am a contractor and work at my leisure. I have not experienced any issues. I have also worked in another department. Both of my supervisors were great.
Great experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 1, 2018
I did an internship the summer before my senior year of highschool. It was a great experience to see hands on how a non profit organization actually works.
A company in place for all the right reasons
CIO (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 31, 2018
A company in place for all the right reasons. Strong mission statement, ideals and culture. Focused on the community and making it a better place. Strong corporate partnerships.
Wonderful organization to work for
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 31, 2018
United Way is a wonderful organization to work for, that encourages it's employees to live up to the overall goal of improving the community. Very kind and friendly culture.
Rewarding work developing giving strategies for donors
Campaign Associate - short-term contract (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 26, 2018
Planning and implementing giving plans was a great experience in that it utilized my abilities to analyze needed components to make the campaign season successful within my segment of the donor base. The workplace culture was fun and one of creativity. The most enjoyable part of the job was speaking to groups on the past successes of United Way and presenting the current goals and working with employees on how to make their giving easy and effective. I learned that the broad reach of United Way had a positive effect on peoples' lives for education, financial health, physical health, and mental well-being.
review
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 25, 2018
Great company to work for this was my first call center experience which turned out to be a great one I am thankful for the opportunity as it was a steeping stone to my future career
Productive and fun.
AmeriCorp State Member, Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 24, 2018
Wonderful Organization to be part of. To help advance poor communities to get ahead.
As a Certify Tax preparer,during the tax season, was a great experience!
Pros
Grants to further education.
Cons
None.