United Way Employee Reviews

Not a Corporate Office employee
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 17, 2018
My position does not require me to be at the corporate office in Milwaukee so I may not have the best review of what goes on. From what I see they have lots of opportunities for social employee engagement. There are often promotions that occur as well as for employees.
Good location and pleasant working conditions
Manager, National Corporate Leadership (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 16, 2018
Driven to excellence in providing services and support to internal and external customers. Opportunities for growth and travel. Busy, but pleasant working conditions. Staff recognition programs.
Pros
Support for managing work and home life
Cons
Possible long hours
Unsophisticated management philosophy
Management (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 15, 2018
Unsophisticated management philosophy. Financially declining business model. Great co-workers. Good work balance. Free parking for professional staff.
Fun work place
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 15, 2018
Never stress, any situation can be solved and always stay positive. There are strong leaders, safe environment and fun activities. Is all about helping the young ones to improve there skills into professionalism.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Non-Profit working towards helping Low-Income Families
CONTRACTED CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Shelton, CTOctober 10, 2018
Community Gardens, Back-to-School, Harvest House, Supported additional local Non-Profit Agencies with Grants. Truly a rewarding place to work & learn.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Can't think of any
Great place
Director of Finance, Human Resources and IT (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 9, 2018
United Way has always been the best place to work where people care about you as an individual and have a strong desire to help the community. I am very impressed with them.
Typical Day at work
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Port Clinton, OHOctober 8, 2018
I went in, I packed lunches at the church for the kids at our site. After doing so I go to the Sutton center and wait until about 10:30 or so and then I would head over to our site and wait for all of our kids to get there. Then we would write the names on bags and give them to them, we would then do our craft after everyone ate and then around 1 or so they would leave to go home. We did this 3 days a week.
Pros
Nice Co-workers
Cons
Some of the kids were very disrespectful
A great mission
Office Employee (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 5, 2018
While those who work for a nonprofit organization believe in the mission, vision and values and strive to improve the surrounding communities, it remains important to pay competitively and in equity with the benefits offered. While the benefit and retirement package are second to none, the compensation should remain competitive.
Pros
Great health care and generous 401k contribution
Cons
silos, poor employee morale, lack of leadership cohesion
An incredible way to earn a living, while contributing to those in need...
Manager, Marketing Cloud Development (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 4, 2018
My experience working at United Way Worldwide has been an exceptional one. Along with being afforded ample opportunities to develop and grow in my career, it is deeply satisfying to know my efforts in the office have real world implications on the betterment of communities and the individuals within them.
Pros
Culture, Philanthropic Projects
Cons
Political
A very rewarding job. I get to see the good UWSM does for our community.
Resource Development Associate (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSOctober 2, 2018
Wonderful co-workers and an amazing CEO. My job with UWSM is very busy. My main job is entering pledge cards into a very complex data base system. There is a mixture of culture, age and ethnicity. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. The hardest part of my job is managing time with my co-worker whom is more of a last minute type of person. The most enjoyable part of my job is definitely the people I work with!
Great Volunteer Board Leadership
Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 2, 2018
United Way is a northeast Florida volunteer organization. My position included fund raising and fund allocation. I also led groups of volunteers to various recipient organizations.
Pros
Leadership
Cons
Not enough time in the day
Productive and great work culture
PROGRAM SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 1, 2018
Great team to work with. Busy work environment and always on the go. Great management and understanding work-life balance. Hoping for career advancement at a different location.
Enjoyed the work, but
Worker (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 28, 2018
The job had it's highs and lows. If it was campaign season, work was long, but it was not hard. Just repetitive. Enjoyed the people and got along with most of them. I was respected and called upon, but I needed to make more money. Being a non-profit agency, there was just not a lot of money that was put towards salaries in our department
Productive and fun workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXSeptember 27, 2018
The supervisors are friendly and approachable. Many tasks are important and help develop the over-arching story of the company's present and future. Great skills are learned.
Pros
Future skills are developed, tasks were a good mix of easy and hard
Cons
There was a lot of downtime
Needed!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  NJSeptember 27, 2018
I appreciate the previous direction of the United Way where the work done in the community was to uplift and make an impact in the community in an effort to serve. The organization has moved away from being a service organization and have moved towards primarily adopting the culture to focus less on serving and more on raising dollars to fit a grant's focus of service; leaving out the true and necessary need of the community.
Pros
A great history and well-needed in the community
Cons
Not willing to value or invest in valued employees
Great company
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 27, 2018
United Way is an awesome company to work for. They focus on the community needs and execute daily the resources to accompany the resolutions for a better way of living.
A great place to learn to fundraise
Resource Development Manager (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CASeptember 26, 2018
There is no such thing as a typical day. I learned every day would be different based on the needs of the community. The hardest thing about the job was turning people away when we didn't have resources. The most enjoyable this was assisting other in need.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Security surrounding the location
Relaxed
Trainer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 25, 2018
this is a relaxed company maybe too relaxed. Plays a lot of favoritism. too many managers did not understand how the job works and therefore set unrealistic performance.
My Day
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 24, 2018
Working as Bus Boy and responsible for keeping all tables clean and other various duties assigned, always on time and dependable when people did not show up.
Great Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXSeptember 24, 2018
I learned a lot interning at United Way of Hays County. I was able to elevate myself to meet the needs of the job and help out others in ways I never thought I would be able to.
Pros
Fun and Rewarding
Cons
Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Way. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

See reviews about

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

63out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at United Way.