UnitedHealth Group

Found 15,169 reviews matching the searchSee all 17,986 reviews
uhgunitedunitedhealthoptumhealthclaimhealthcaremetric

Great company

Featured review

UnitedHealth Group selected this as a representative review
I enjoyed working for UHC. I relocated to another state however, and the assistance to transfer to another position that I qualified for was minimal to none. The benefits are decent, which include Bravos, which are points to obtain gift cards or purchase items from their internal store. There is not a work and balance life as your having to work overtime or on your time to meet deadlines and your review is dependent on you meeting those deadlines. The great thing about working at UHC was that I worked remotely and could work at any hour of the day. My manager and team were great, very helpful and knowledgeable in the LTC Medicaid program.

Pros

Bravos, great team environment

Cons

Fair benefits, work long hours, transfer to another position is hard

July 2, 2019
We appreciate your feedback!Good to hear you enjoyed the flexibility you got from telecommuting. Sounds like you were part of a great team and had an awesome manager. We wish you all the best!Thank you.Sudeshna S., Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group.

Use UHC as a stepping stone to better companies

It's definitely been an interesting experience working for uhc. I absolutely love the interaction with members, for the most part, and enjoy the most challenging of situations. With that said, some days the most challenging is your own team lead and manager. I really wouldn't expect much assistance in the team chat so best to learn all you can on your own. Management is inconsistent, borders on inappropriate and definitely biased. If you need time off to move, especially if you're needing to move in with an elderly parent, don't expect much sympathy from UHC or your manager. UHC is so metric based that regardless of what you need to do for your member on the phone you have to constantly be thinking about hold times, the length of call, nba's, course keep in mind that your performance all also gives a bonus to your manager. Ridiculous micromanaging at times. I have yet to see one response to someone needing assistance in the team from my manager. There are some responses from the team lead but that depends on whether they think you've already know the answer or not. If they thinking of the answer you're just ignored. Call volumes are insane. From the time you get into ready status until the time you clock out often there is literally one second between the next phone call. It's easy to get overwhelmed and frustrated and honestly, no one can keep up that pace long-term..That's exactly why I'm suggested you only use you ain't she as a stepping stone to learn and get the call center experience and then heavily screen and do due diligence and go to work somewhere else..UHC -

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Micromanagement, incapable management

UnitedHealth Group insights

Based on 5,838 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

EMPATHS Beware, as Health Insurance is Profit Driven, exclusively.

TRAINING:Is quite laughable - Typically spans 6 to 8 weeksYou will learn how to transfer calls correctly - That’s it.BEGINNING THE DAY:You get 10 minutes to get your computer up and running with all the sites needed.Aux Ready and depending on the time your shift begins in less that 3-4 minutes you’ll receive your first call. Calls are back to back depending on your start time.IMPORTANT: AT THE END OF TRAINING, YOU WILL MAKE YOUR 1 AND ONLY SHIFT BID, CHOOSE WISELY! There are claims of getting to bid again later on.. But, I’ve been here over a year and we have had no other bids. SUPERVISORS (& Team Leads):UHG's oversight are similar to those videos where pet owners put down treats and then leave the room.EXPECT heavy (covert) oversight and daily reports by email for the previous day stats. UHG essentially boils down to a relentless focus on maintaining high numbers. Avoiding “call avoidance” is a challenge given their concept of call avoidance is contradictory, IMO.WHAT I HAVE LEARNED - MY HONEST TAKE: While the allure of a double-digit hourly pay is tempting, the reality has/is mentally taxing and that beautiful double digit begins to lose its charm quite early on especially since I’m empathetic and have a deep connection with the elderly.The healthcare system is heavily profit-driven, often forcing the elderly to endure lengthy and disheartening processes.THIS COMPANY IS PROFIT DRIVEN, exclusively.Health insurance is not for the weak. More times than not, I feel horrible when I clock in and when I clock out.I’ve questioned myself as to what I’m -

Pros

“Some” Members, Remote

Cons

Pay, Frequent Supervisor Changes (inconsistent rules, guidelines, expectations), Competitive

Low paying, highly stressful, inclusive and fun environment that promotes role development. Overall find somewhere else.

What is the best part of working at the company?You get company paid holidays. They encourage role development. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The roles you apply for change multiple times, even during training. So be prepared for job duties changing and they blame it on company growth. I have held 3 different positions at this company and it has happened every time. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very Inclusive. Various opportunities to join groups according to your hobbies or goals. What is a typical day like for you at the company?Highly stressful calls from consumers that are get adverse medical decisions that are not aligned with living a healthier life

It has some rudimentary perks. However, it seemed like a club I wasn’t allowed into.

At some point I no longer felt welcome. I felt shunned by my coworkers and management. I watched others have personal issues be welcomed with open arms while I was left behind when I needed our work culture the most.

Very fast paced and productive

I appreciate the opportunity to work here. It was a little difficult getting into the company but great job overall. You get to connect with great members and build new relationships with your colleagues

Customer service

Straight forward job but many calls back to back. Training was through but changed at the last minute along with my schedule. Mandatory overtime started right after training.

Great work/life balance

Great company and work/life balance. The perks are great PTO and consistent weekly hours without working any holidays or weekends. Paid off on all holidays!

Click environment

Very clickish If your manager doesn’t like you then you don’t have any help and you’re left to flop. Tried to put in a two week notice and was fired the next day. Not really gonna miss the place.

September 21, 2023
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Your comments will help us to improve our processes.

Great team and benefits

Handled phone calls every day, only the real negative was the phone calls. Worked with a great team and if you meet metrics you receive bonuses. Had to learn to deescalate members. If you can manage phone calls for a year and meet metrics you can transfer to another team off the phones. I recommend UHC, many team mates I knew, have been with UHC for years.

Cares about profits

This company cares more about profits than people. They went downhill in the years i worked there. Outsourcing is common. I hear they have a lot of work at home jobs now which is nice.

September 21, 2023
Thank you for your feedback. Please know that we value our employees and are actively working to support them. Your comments will help us to make sure we stay committed to these actions.

Good benefits and good scheduling allowed time off when not in peak season. You will work mandatory over time during the busy season extra hour in the morning and at end of shift

Appreciation only in words but nothing actionable. Not a great company to work for

What is the best part of working at the company?Remote work which gives a lot of flexibility. 4 weeks PTO+SickpayWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company? For an PBM and insurance company, insurance costs for employees is a lot higher than other companies I worked for, which is laughable. Lot of burnout, poor raises and bonuses for even high performing employees. Not much room for growth in the technical path.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Lot of stress and burnout, with teams always trying to punk work to other teams and not taking personal responsibility for issues.

September 21, 2023
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Please know that we are actively working towards improving as a company and supporting our employees.

Consistent work

Not the best or the worst place to work. Consistently taking calls with low chance of commission or overtime. Minimum micromanagement. If you like consistency this is your place.

Good start for agents to make money and get license

United health care is a large company so the leads are always there. The payscale where there is so many sales, it takes a decent amount to make 6 figures there.

Work-life balance

Flexible working hours with growth and development opportunities. I believe transparency helps in advancement as you are able to align your goals. Well structured and supportive management that has an Open and inclusive work culture. Remote work is well advanced.

Love it tha ks

Hear nothing but great things about Thai companies . Can't wait to be apart of the team !!! working for UHC. I relocated to another state however, and the assistance to transfer to another position that I qualified for was minimal to none. The benefits are decent, which include Bravos, which are points to obtain gift cards or purchase items from their internal store. There is not a work and balance life as your having to work overtime or on your time to meet deadlines and your review is dependent on you meeting those deadlines. The great thing about working at UHC was that I worked remotely and coul

September 21, 2023
Thank you for your feedback. I'm happy to hear about your positive experience with the company!

Great work life balance

Everyone has been kind from the day I started Remote work is always a plus and they work with you on personal time during the day. My set of managers are easy to communicate with. The only downside is the pay I think it should be a little higher for the market.

High call volume Meet certain metricsGood bonuses and referrals Move up in company after meeting 1 yr requirement Off on weekends and holidaysNo overtime

Hardest part of my job

Hardest part of my job is sitting at home waiting for calls to come throughIt’s a very sedentary positionNo room for growthYet, I remain here due to the need of employment & their great benefits!

Pros

Bravo awards

Cons

2 breaks & lots of health incentives

Complex systems to use

Medicare insurance is vastly complicated and there is simply not enough training or help for newer employees to do it properly. Young know-it-all management made it especially toxic. If you're over 35, don't even bother working here as you won't be respected, which is ironic because it's a group that services senior citizens on Medicare.

Pros

Newly remodeled building

Cons

Management, low pay, complex systems, low morale, expensive lunchroom

September 21, 2023

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight