UnitedHealth Group

UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

United States14,009 reviews
Found 14,009 reviews matching the search
Featured review
UnitedHealth Group selected this as a representative review
I enjoyed working for UHC. I relocated to another state however, and the assistance to transfer to another position that I qualified for was minimal to none. The benefits are decent, which include Bravos, which are points to obtain gift cards or purchase items from their internal store. There is not a work and balance life as your having to work overtime or on your time to meet deadlines and your review is dependent on you meeting those deadlines. The great thing about working at UHC was that I worked remotely and could work at any hour of the day. My manager and team were great, very helpful and knowledgeable in the LTC Medicaid program.
Pros
Bravos, great team environment
Cons
Fair benefits, work long hours, transfer to another position is hard
Official response from UnitedHealth Group
February 11, 2019
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience at UnitedHealth Group. We wish you the best! Sincerely, Amber H. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group
Official response from UnitedHealth Group
July 2, 2019
We appreciate your feedback!

Good to hear you enjoyed the flexibility you got from telecommuting. Sounds like you were part of a great team and had an awesome manager. We wish you all the best!

Thank you.

Sudeshna S., Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group.
Rewarding job, great team members. The company is very involved in the community with volunteering. Feel appreciated and look forward to growing in the company
Pros
Culture and support from management
Cons
Better insurance
I was excited about the opportunity wasn’t crazy about the pay but I was happy about it being Monday - Friday job . Once hired I seen after the 1st week of training why the company has such a high turn around ! The manger is not a much of a people person and show favoritism! The manger can often come off rude or careless. Job functions sound simple but training should most definitely be longer . Pay needs to be higher for this position $15 hourly is not enough!! The stress of the environment as well as management makes it hard to enjoy the job ! Not recommended also building needs work !! Desk are some what big . No phones at all
Pros
No weekends
Cons
1hour for the entire month for personal time, this includes bathroom breaks !! Management sucks
Changes are often last minute, or unexpectedly pop up. Some of the training's don't help at all. Most of the time instead of helping they just throw a bunch of guidelines for you to go through and figure it out
Liked the office and people I worked with we were a good group always willing to help each other. Flexible doing job training was on going. The only bad thing I had 4 different mangers in a year
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Manager turn over
Advancement or branching into other departments is near impossible. Rival companies also pay ~20% more for the same experience level. For a health insurance company, the actual employee insurance isn't that great. They will point out that you can get discounted childcare halfway across the country as a benefit. There are good leaders, but they often have their hands tied by the cliques that some in management teams coalesce into. Or those in higher positions will make decisions with no experience or knowledge of the field they are making a decision for.
Pros
Free coffee?
Cons
health insurance, pay, advancement opportunities
Very childish department and messy, Female supervisors gossips about workers, no advancement opportunities, report to HR issues any issues all I can say
Benefits
Cons
Management and Lynne childish and disrespectful
Great place to work very supportive team and management. The company promotes a great culture of work and life balance. The team I was on had a great friendly and warm atmosphere.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement very supportive team and management great life work balance
Cons
The insurance can be better
I enjoyed and learned a lot while working for UHC. My managers were helpful and wanted you to do well and be a success. They had mandatory training quarterly, which helped tremendously in an ever changing field.
The policies, rules, and regulations established by UnitedHealth Group is just a show it is great that the employees don’t violate them but it is ok if the employees have violated them just try not to do it again. The Management and the HR Department really don't care about the Working Culture and Enviornment of the Company, the employees can curse, use profanity during the working hours all they do is just issue them a warning. What is the point of having the Compliance Program when the employees is not abiding by it? Is this what UnitedHealth Group is stand for? A Company with Integrity and Compassion but allowing a repeat offender continue working in the Company? I am sure the public and the media would like to know what kind of Company UnitedHealth Group really represent?
Pros
You can file a compliant but nobody cares.
Cons
No discipline action
Bad, the environment is a matrix. No matter how good you are, they will make it harder. You will be stressed out in the end because you are your own competition.
Pros
Worked from home.
Cons
Stressful, Managers do not listen.
A typical day at work was check email first and then logging in starting with your first case. You can choose your hours. It’s very flexible. I love it
In order to move up you must be friends with those in a hiring position. Doesn't matter how qualified you are they're more likely to choose someone they "like". Many positions are given to friends or friends and family of friends without being posted so others can apply. You look up one day and realize that you have a new SME/Supervisor even though there was never a position posted.

Many supervisors have no idea how to do the work they are supervisings. Upper management need to be trained on how to treat people. We need more leaders and less "bosses" Some treat you like children. Do what I say do not as I do. Asking for your best when they give you half of theirs.
Pros
In general the company cares about you. Great work life schedule. Healthy foods in cafeteria.
Cons
Hard to move up in the company, People are chosen for promotions based upon who they know. Raises and bonuses are a joke.
- remote work available
- great teams (depends on department)

- clear expectations

- appreciated, valued, publicly rewarded/recognized for achievements

- understanding management

- business segments disjointed/no cohesion
Pros
office comfortable, all the technology and other resources you need, treat you like adult when WFH
Cons
stability- massive rolling lay offs, colleagues with covid impacted families treated poorly, prioritize maintaining teams/external candidates over internal transfers/promotions, maintaining staff is a leadership metric
I feel that UHC is a great company to work for overall. I feel that I do not have any room for advancement which is why I am pursuing other avenues. It has wonderful employees, mangers and a team-oriented company.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
No room for advancement in some departments
I have been highly satisfied with my experience working for UHG. I am a telecommuter and have the flexibility to work 4 (10) hr shifts and have a 3 day weekend for appointments, etc. The benefits seem to be good (high deductible though), and I was eligible within one month of start date. So far this has been a great fit for myself and my family.
Pros
Flexibility, Telecommute, Pay
Cons
Communication can be difficult with a large corporation
I started working for Optum, which is under the UHG umbrella, in October of 2014 as a regular bilingual customer service agent. Less than a year working there, I was given the opportunity to train and test to receive a license as a life and health insurance agent, which the company paid for. After I passed the exam for my licensing, I was promoted to Quality Advocate and I've loved every minute of it. Management is supportive and I couldn't be happier with my work/ life balance.
Pros
Work remotely; Room to grow; Management is great; Pay is fair for the work done
Cons
Open enrollment season can be stressful
My most favorite part about working for this company is being able to work from home! I also love the culture of the company. They are also very diverse.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Pay could be better
This is a good company but it is a big popularity contest. I am positive that cooperate has no idea what really goes on here. There is no consistency on how they grade your work. You never get the same answer and this effects your production
Pros
The pay and benefits are goods
Cons
If you are not a part of the click look out you are destined for failure
Tons of positive about working here for me, but a lot of that is directly because of the manager I work for. My manager is smart and does a lot to shield my team from the incompetence of the senior leaders. Its hard to move around or up at UHG because of a terribly, terribly exclusive culture. For example, in my division 4 of the 6 senior leaders are related by blood or marriage. I am not kidding. Its akin to a royal family. Some of the decisions they have made have cost millions of dollars due to their incompetence and group think. The rest of the division spends a lot of time cleaning up their messes. Another example, some executive's son was handed a high level strategy position, spent time and hundreds of thousands of dollars developing a product (that the "boots on ground folks" advised wasn't functional in the market) that was quickly abandoned once no one bought it. No accountability. That person still works here.
Moving around is a challenge if you don't play golf with or know someone higher up. Lots of people miss sales/performance goals and just move around to other positions because they are entrenched in the white patriarchal culture. If you have had to do it before you know how draining it can be to clean up after idiots' mistakes. Its even more draining when you know it will just be a matter of time before they do it again with 0 repercussions.
Pros
lots to learn, great technology, if you know how to sell you are mostly left alone. Lots of smart people work her.
Cons
exclusive culture focused on hiring white/older/already connected/males in that order, I worry that the smart people won't be able to cover up for the dolts and this place will implode.
Great place. Happy. Benefits could be better but I'm happy working here. They allow for tuition reimbursement and weekends off - no complaints. Referral bonuses as well.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.
5.2K
Women's ratings

3.4Fairygodboss Score

62%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

55%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.