UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Featured review
UnitedHealth Group selected this as a representative review
Excellent company
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dexter, NMAugust 21, 2018
Strong team oriented, strong values, strong mission statement and is very dedicated to the communities that we serve. Company is environmentally friendly, focused on improving out communities.
Team building
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 18, 2018
A typical day at work is handling around 100+ monitored calls a day. Advocates must be positive, compassionate, informative and accurate. Responsible for helping colleagues in need of help by Y-jacking. I've learned that with compassion, patience and accuracy are key components.
Pros
Opportunities to bonus
Cons
Schedule adherence
Gossiping, cliques, unfair management.
LVN Nurse (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 18, 2018
As long as ur hang outside or drink w/managenent ur job is safe. Even when u take it 2 the hirer up management, I learned they stick together. Unfair.
Pros
Health, pay, pto
Cons
Management, back stabbers, gossipers, cliques
Fast paced customer service environment
Health Advocate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 18, 2018
Lots of good resources to help you perform your job well & a good support system if you need help or have any questions. Nice to work with a company that encourages teamwork.
Pros
Work from home, competitive pay
Cons
Inflexible work schedule & hours
Productivity
Supervisor San Bernardino(Contractor) (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CASeptember 18, 2018
Excellent place to work, everyone is there for each other. Help each other to succeed. Makes sure morale is high with the employees,., which increases productivity. In the Billing department we all work as a team, one can't stand without the other. We depend a lot on each other, and we show respect and kindness. This is an excellent place to work for and I enjoy everyday with the staff and our Manager. I have learned alot from the previous manager, ie how to create queries and build scans. The hardest part of my job is when I have to recommend staff, that's not a good feeling, especially when you're worked so long with them, after fifteen years, staff is like family.
Pros
Excellent Job
First Day Surprise
Provider Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 18, 2018
I applied for a data entry job which I got a claims adjuster position, but to show up on the first day of training and find out they have a new company called "Oxford" and THEY felt that our class would be a better fit for that company? Really
Pros
Good Pay, Good Benefits
Cons
Didn't give me the job I applied for
Great environment, great values and great people
Health Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MASeptember 18, 2018
Working for United Health Group has been an amazing experience. I love what I do and I love our cultural values. I have seen how compassionate this company is and how much they care about members and the community as a whole. It has been a pleasure.
Pros
Opportunities to grow, discounts, paid vacations, meetings, community service(Very involved)
Cons
n/a
Great for gaining initial experience. Then move on.
Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  San AntonioSeptember 18, 2018
Seemed like a great place to work, but raises & promotions are rare. The people who are promoted have less experience than other candidates who have a lot more experience. Focus on quantity vs quality.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Favoritism
Warning
Nepotism.
Scheduled bathroom breaks.
30-minute lunch.
Unreasonable metrics.
Poor communication from the top.
Conflicting information.
Awful.
help older retired people
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 18, 2018
assisted retirement age members with issues with medicare part d plan and also took payments for their premiums. assisted with calling pharmacies to help get program benefits to process correctly according to each member's respective benefit level
company feedback
A&G Compliance Auditor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 18, 2018
very nice company to work for. enjoyed every aspect of my position. prepared for future jobs in the health insurance industry. wonderful management and colleagues. always sympathetic to life situations.
Growing company with a diverse set of businesses.
Senior Clinical Program Consultant (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNSeptember 18, 2018
UnitedHealth Group is an enormous and growing company with a diverse set of businesses spanning Commercial, Medicaid and Medicare plans.

Typical days are a combination of meetings and project work. Change is constant at UnitedHealth Group so typical days also include working on projects aimed at change.
Great Place To Work Except For Layoffs And Bosses
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2018
This was a great place to work. I love my job, However the bosses never knew from one moment to another if we were going to be laid off that day or not because there are always at least 2 locations competing internally for the same calls.

The bosses because they are always so tense are hateful and do not like to help in anyway.

You are also penalized if you get a call 3 minutes before your break you have to take the call. If you are late going to lunch because of the call YOU get a point. That is so unfair being penalized for taking THEIR phone call
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Short Breaks that are monitored by the second
Poor management, NOT a good place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 18, 2018
This was an incredibly poor atmosphere where it was frowned upon to speak to those in higher pay grades.
Managers are often not even trained in the areas of those they supervise, thus have little to no understanding of the actual job.
It reminded me of High School, "clicks" who were gossipy and very unprofessional.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Job Security, Management
High-volume office
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYSeptember 18, 2018
High volume of people per day. Office performed pre employment physicals and drug screens. Good clinical staff for very stressful environment. Enjoyed most of the varied people who came in.
Pros
Good clinic staff
Cons
Very busy office
Political Environment
Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 17, 2018
The company is honestly to political to work for. Its all about who you know and who well you can kiss up to people. I've been here 12 years, completed my degree with the promise of room to move up. I have applied for over 25 jobs internally and their poorly managed HR and recruitment system I have not received one interview even though they are roles i'm qualified for. Don't work here if you don't want to deal with office politics, no work/life balance, and health plans that you spend a large chunk of your salary just to meet your deductible. Its just not worth it if your looking for a happy medium even.
Pros
Great side benefits like dental and vision
Cons
Overworked, Underpaid, Mandatory OT of 15+ a week for over 2 years.
OK place to work if you are happy with a 1% raise per year
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNSeptember 17, 2018
Here is another you can do better company. Do not go to UHG expecting to climb the corporate ladder, it is very difficult. If you are coming in at a director level, it is OK, anything less, you will have a hard time moving up. A lot of people 30 years old and younger working here----not a good fit for the older worker. High turnover at UHG---check the number of jobs they have open. Keep looking, don't waste your time here.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Too many to list
Ok place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVOCATE/MEDICAID AND RETIREMENT (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 17, 2018
It was a decent place to work. The culture on the floor can be toxic, though if one can abstain from making friends and remaining business minded, they can be successful.
Corporate Insurance trying to be better...
Health Advocate, Senior Advocate4Me Rep-Tier (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 17, 2018
Great place to work in regards to compensation for entry level jobs.
Benefits are horrible if you dont make more than 75,000 though. Management is detached and doesnt really know how to create a welcoming environment for its employees. Work life balance is horrible. There are multiple divisions with this company, my experience is with the Employer and Individual division.
Pros
Stock and 401K
Cons
High Deductible Benefits
Fast pace
Provider Relations Advocate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 17, 2018
United is a very fast paced environment. You must stay on task if not its a bit of a challenge to catch back up. It can be overwhelming at times; however, the flexible schedule makes up for it.
Worked as an ICA for 10 years. UHG is a great company.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 17, 2018
You get what you put in. You get the support you need, too. There are many great opportunities at UHG all over the United States of America. As an ICA the Medicare Advantage and Supplemental programs are great!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.

53.6K
43.8K
33K
21.1K
11.1K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

72out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UnitedHealth Group.