UnitedHealth Group Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 4,268 reviews matching the search See all 15,220 reviews
Featured review
UnitedHealth Group selected this as a representative review
Great company
Health and Social Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 19, 2019
I enjoyed working for UHC. I relocated to another state however, and the assistance to transfer to another position that I qualified for was minimal to none. The benefits are decent, which include Bravos, which are points to obtain gift cards or purchase items from their internal store. There is not a work and balance life as your having to work overtime or on your time to meet deadlines and your review is dependent on you meeting those deadlines. The great thing about working at UHC was that I worked remotely and could work at any hour of the day. My manager and team were great, very helpful and knowledgeable in the LTC Medicaid program.
Pros
Bravos, great team environment
Cons
Fair benefits, work long hours, transfer to another position is hard
NP in nursing home
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2019
Manage caseload of residents in nursing home. Round in the morning address issues. The rest of the day spent on the computer documenting. Many days work brought home. Management is supportive & try their best but we must adhere to strict documentation guidelines when administering benefits to medicare beneficiaries.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
too much documentation
April 18, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience as a current employee as an NP. In order to get more information regarding your documentation comment, I encourage you to reach out to our HR Department to chat more about it. You can reach them at 1-800-561-0861. Sincerely, Meredith F. - Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

Great company and opportunity for advancement
Sr. Contracting/ Credentialing Representative (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 17, 2019
Great company and opportunity for advancement. Work culture is positive. Opportunity for volunteering and coommunity involvement. Company shows great employee appreciation and the are discounts with most companies that contact for benefits with UHG except for airlines.
April 18, 2019

Thanks for sharing! Best, Meredith F. - Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

Fun
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 17, 2019
Poor wages and management. The pay is not enough for anyone to survive. management is very unprofessional, everyday it’s something different. The Amount of money is not enough for the work you do
April 18, 2019

We appreciate your honest feedback. To address your concerns regarding pay, and management, feel free to reach out to HR Direct at 1-800-561-0861 Monday through Friday 7 AM to 7 PM CT. Sincerely, Meredith F. - Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

Impressive company. High expectations but well compensated
Insurance Agent/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 17, 2019
Good company to represent. They gave great coverage for their clients and I was very proud to represent a company with high quality care. The hours were very long but some of the agents worked a lot fewer hours than I did. It was based on salary plus commission so it really was up to the individual as to how many or few hours they dedicated to the job. No set schedule other than the weekly meeting on Monday that was mandatory. Untied Healthcare treated their employees with respect and went out of their way to make a good work environment for all the agents on their staff.
Pros
Good monetary compensation and pkeasant work environment
Cons
Require a 24/7 mind set, difficult to find a balance between work and play. You pretty much lived your job.
April 18, 2019

Thanks for sharing! We love hearing your experience and appreciate the feedback! Sincerely, Meredith F. - Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

Very unhappy here
Finance (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 17, 2019
I can't speak for the entire company but our department lacks flexibility and they treat us like children. We are treated as hourly employees even though we are salary exempt. Overall the company is ok. Benefits are decent but medical insurance is expensive if you have to use it.
Pros
Decent PTO time
Cons
no flexibility
April 18, 2019

I appreciate you taking the time to write this review and sharing your experience. In order for us to make the employee experience better in your department, we'd like to hear more about your experience. I encourage you to reach out to HRDirect - You can reach them at 1-800-561-0861. Sincerely, Meredith F. - Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

All depends on who you work for
QA Manager (Current Employee) –  NJApril 16, 2019
The politics are awful, and advancement is based much more on who submits you than the merit of the submission. I received top ranking in 14 of 16 reviews, yet have been promoted only two times in 16 years.

Additionally, employee benefits are awful. They are high deductible health plans, and you will pay through the nose for all docs and Rx.
Pros
Some great people.
Cons
Growth, politics, benefits.
April 17, 2019

You're right -- it does depend on who you work for since team culture can very, especially by location and other nuances. I highly encourage you to have an open conversation with your manager and ask for transparency on reviews and promotions. It's absolutely a part of our culture for managers to be talent stewards.

Secondly, it sounds like the benefits you selected didn't meet your needs. I suggest taking advantage of our employee resources to make sure you select what you need for your health benefits.

Retaliatory management/lack of communication
Senior Claims Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 16, 2019
I was laid off after 15 years due to managements decision to not sell our product to potential clients, but to take all of our platforms and information gathered for years to build their own segment and laid off my whole department. We were all employees with 10-20 years given to the company. We had to beg for fair raises. Any pushback to management was met with retaliation. I would not recommend.
April 17, 2019

I highly urge you to reach out to your Human Capital contact and share your experiences.

Procductive place to work
Benefits Advocate (Call Center) (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOApril 16, 2019
• Handle 30-50 incoming calls from retired Medicare members with health insurance inquiries
• Provide detailed information on Insurance Benefits and Claims Part B and D
• Assist with submitting Prior Authorizations and Referrals
• Route ICD-10 and CPT codes to claims team, update records of all customer interactions
• Assist members in scheduling health appointments and billing issues
• Research and resolve health services, handle call management systems
• Utilize RxClaims, Cosmos, Marx & MIIM Computer System and Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Power Point and
Outlook

Thank you for sharing!

Annie W., Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

A great company to work for
Service Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 16, 2019
Wausau Benefits / Fiserv Health / United Health Group has been a great company to work for. They care about their business and they care about their employees.

Thank you for sharing!

Annie W., Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

high stress but nice culture
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILApril 16, 2019
not a lot of interaction with other employees. liked benefits. good culture. very helpful. easy access to supervisor. company worked to make employees feel important
Your mileage may vary
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIApril 15, 2019
Working with united is very dependent on which department you get hired onto. Make no mistake, you are working in a for profit health insurance company. My department's bread and butter became short term insurance, which is notorious for being less than stellar (put nicely) health insurance. You're compensated well enough for an entry level position, the hours are consistent and the benefits are plentiful.
Productive and Fun working place
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 15, 2019
The benefits are decent, which include Bravos, which are points to obtain gift cards or purchase items from their internal store. There is not a work and balance life as your having to work overtime or on your time to meet deadlines and your review is dependent on you meeting those deadlines. The great thing about working at UHC was that I worked remotely and could work at any hour of the day. Finally, I enjoyed working for UHC. I relocated to another state, however, and the assistance to transfer to another position that I qualified for was minimal to none.
Tranquill work environment with above average benefits, though there is a bit of a learning curve and attendance requirements are strict. is
Elite Advocate (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNApril 15, 2019
The work environment is pretty tranquill with the option of working from home offered bi-annually (once elected you begin to work at home primarily as long as you meet expectations.) Generally friendly staff.

The benefits are above average and very affordable but you do learn while working here and seeing their customer's benefits that they are rather middle of the road by comparison. Though you still get Medical, Vision, Dental, Mental Health, HSA, FSA, and 401K/Roth 401K, and stock options.

There has been a drive for employee diet and fitness benefits but it's been slow coming, with the other site in Green Bay WI getting most of the attention and an on-site gym, shower, grocery store, pharmacy, and walk-in clinic. The other sites (Duluth included) are not privy to such benefits and the building can at times feel overcrowded with no place to sneak away to for a quiet break or private phone call.

There is a high turn-over rate in part because the job has a bit of a learning curve that a lot of people feel they can't keep up with and end up resigning after giving it their best effort. The other part being the attendance policy is rather strict, with you only being able to call in 7 times in one 365 day period. (Though you can miss 5 consecutive days in a row and have it count as 1 "occurrence" and your direct supervisor can "forgive" call ins per their discretion, though many find they shouldn't count on this too liberally and not all supervisors will do this for you.)

They do offer 144 hours of paid time off starting, which increases to 188 at 5 years and 244
  more... at 10 years, unless you climb the corporate ladder as higher paying positions also have more PTO offered and better benefits overall.

Every weekend and major holiday off but you will probably have to work xmas eve.
Cons
strict attendance policy, paid time off availability can be frustrating, pto accruedt 5.5 hours each pay period, normally have to work xmas eve
Very productive work enviroment
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 15, 2019
United HealthGroup is a great place to work and has a lot of benefits to offer however if you looking to grow with the company due to 3rd party recruitment advancement or transferring opportunities are very limited in the company.
Pros
benefits and flexibility
Cons
advancement and recruitment
If you want to work in an immature, Gossip type environment apply
Provider Resolutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 14, 2019
Working for UHG in the Houston location was an horrible experience. The blatant unprofessionalism was unbearable for me but permitted by management. You would honestly think you're in high-school with all the cattiness, rudeness, and gossip going on. (not that i was involved in) On top of that the pay isn't great for what you would have to deal with. Large incoming calls from rude physicians etc, then you have rude co workers. You will not enjoy it here. Well at least at the Houston location. I recommend that you RUN!
benefits
Cons
co workers, management, calls
Worst company I have ever worked for.
Triage nurse (Former Employee) –  IllinoisApril 13, 2019
Lack of training poor support. New hires resign quickly. New procedures will be implemented. Basically your sent a memo ant told read this it starts tomorrow. No practice time no time to review they monitor everything you do right Down to the min. Have made goal impossible to reach therefore very few get bonuses or raises Your allowed 3 mins between calls. They frown on you taking bathroom breaks. We were actually told in a meeting if we are going to the bathroom more than on our break we should get a note from the dr. Upper management has stopped acknowledging all professional days and holiday celebrations just not a nice company to work for they are all about the numbers.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Poor treatment of nurses from upper managmebt
Don’t waste your time
Employer Group Medicare Retirement Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIApril 12, 2019
Huge turn over, no one stays. If you want a job talking to crabby people with your supervisor breathing down your back then this job is for you. Not enough pay during slow months.
Pros
its a full time job that pays the bills.
Cons
Management follows you around 24/7
Okay Company
Benefit Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 12, 2019
Okay Company, high turn over, lack of management.
Low pay and not enough staff. Must be a favorite to move up in the company. But good health benefits and paid leave.
Fast paced
Campaign Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Killeen TXApril 12, 2019
This company is fast paced and they promote from within. Customer service is very important. Member experience is valued over the process. While calls are timed how the member is treated is more important. Calls are 100% recorded and played back for quality control. External quality control is used to monitor calls
Pros
hours flexibility, benefits
Cons
Mandatory overtime
One of the best employers I've worked for
Provider Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILApril 12, 2019
The job was very straight forward & simple once u got the hang of it. I heard around the office that one manager was tough but never experienced it, myself. The health insurance wasn't as good as you'd imagine, but they offered noth HMO & PPO, 401k, discounts with many different companies NO COST life insurance for the duration of your employment, up to $50,000 & all benefits could be made effective immediately. I received a raise 6mo after starting & once you are cross trained, you receive a raise as well. Great supervisors, awesome team environment & very very friendly. Also offered either 8x5 work schedule or 4x10, also offers PTO
Pros
Mostly everything you can think of
Cons
Difficult to work during business hrs, when u have personal business to take care of, some days.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.

54.3K

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UnitedHealth Group.

Powered by Comparably