Unity Hospice Employee Reviews

Great co-workers, leadership and teamwork
On Call triage Nurse (Current Employee) –  Rochelle, ILOctober 22, 2018
As a triage nurse I respond to the patient or caregiver on the other end of the line to try to resolve their concerns. When that is not possible via telephone Unity has dedicated experienced on call nurses to make a visit. The nurses are friendly and ready to assist no matter the time of the call. Leadership is readily available to provide guidance as well.

What I have learned at Unity is you're never alone even though as a triage nurse I work alone. Yet there is always assistance on the other end of the phone.

Management is the best around. Management is very supportive of the team and ready to help out with whatever the need is. For my role the on call schedule is out in a timely manner to allow for the night's preparation. Triage is informed of any immediate pt concerns so if that call comes in triage is prepared

The hardest part of my job is when there is a panicked pt or caregiver on the other end of the line that is having a hard time following instructions as their emotions are running high. I wish I could be right there to give them a hug and give them the reassurance that they are not alone..

The most enjoyable part of my job is when the the interventions provided to the patient/caregivers are effective and their is a sense of relief you hear in their voice
Pros
Team reaching out to include everyone in events, friendly staff, a warm welcome to new comers.
Cons
I haven't experienced any cons
Loved working for Unity
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2018
Loved working at this company. Was sadden when I had to relocate. In my opinion they where all for there workers. I loved the perks and the staff were down to earth; along with easy to talk to.
Patient centered
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Collinsville, ILAugust 22, 2018
Unity serves patients in areas that other hospices do not go to. Nurses have the ability to affect the public knowledge of what hospice care offers. Allows nurses to form relationships with the people they care for.
Poor Management
Registered Nurse Hospice case Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 20, 2018
Excessive Caseload given, Poor Communication, doesn't follow mission. Hardest part of the job is carrying excessive caseloads however the most enjoyable is working with a few great members of the team
Extremely rewarding
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 7, 2018
Everyday at work is a new experience. Most days are filled with smiles from our patients that know we are there to help them. Even when there is a difficult situation, all staff are there to help.
Pros
Staff member are thought of constantly
Cons
24/7 days a week
great place to work
social worker (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 1, 2018
Unity is a great place to work. great salary and retirement matching. I appreciate having a job here and like to do what i do. recommended.I have worked at another job doing the same thing and it didnt compare.
Pros
work environment and salary as well as benefits
Cons
A brief review from a current employee
Chaplain/Bereavement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Northwest IndianaApril 30, 2018
One of the great things about my job is that every day is different and rarely the one for which I had planned. Our work is about being open and available to others and so the needs of our patients often dictates our day. I have learned that flexibility and commitment to excellence are the ways to avoid burnout and the management and culture at Unity reinforces and supports a collaborative, affirming team model. The hardest part of the job is simply setting self limits as one can never meet the full need of all of the many people who need and rely upon us... but the deep peace and joy that comes from making a difficult time for people less frightening and stressful far out weighs the parts of the job that are challenging.
Pros
flexibility, creativity, meaningful work, affirming environment
Cons
people who need a lot of structure may be frustrated, and we are dealing with very deep and potentially draining scenarios so self care is imperative
Place with strong work ethic and team spirits.
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2018
Everyone is dedicated to the patients and their well-being. A great place to work at if you want to make a difference in the life of terminally ill people and their loved-ones. I loved my time with Unity and left only to go further in my career, but would recommend anyone who asked me to go and work for them. The family who owns/runs this hospice are the best people you meet! I have mostly good things to say about this job. However the medical benefits are a bit too expensive.
Pros
Autonomy, team spirit and the opportunity to create your own schedule.
Cons
Costly medical benefits.
Productive, family oriented place to work
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 18, 2017
Case Manager to 15-20 patients, Coordinating Patient care to support their needs. Work environment, is relaxing as it is family oriented. The hardest part of my job is when a patient expires and the family is grieving uncontrollably. The most rewarding is being able to be there and provide comfort, emotional/social support.
Pros
Balance of Home and Work Life
Cons
poor health benefits
Enjoyable friendly, professional plav=ce to work
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INOctober 31, 2017
Caring place to work. Concerned about staff and attitude toward facility. Understanding when it comes to person issues. The staff is friendly and respectful. I spend minimal hours at the office, most of my work is done off site. Hardest part of job is losing a patient. The easiest is the comradery between staff members.
Pros
frequent company sponsored outings, team building activities
Cons
Not enough hours
Faced paced and knowledgeable
Medical Assistant Extern (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INOctober 1, 2017
I enjoyed my time there. It was short lived because it was only my externship but I gained some knowledge of the ins and outs of a hospice, friends and had an opportunity to work with some great people.
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
short time span
Fun Workplace
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochelle, ILJuly 13, 2017
Unity gets down to business but does it in a very productive way. Co-workers always helpful and going the extra mile. The management of Unity couldn't get any better. Unity knows how to bring people and families together and offer the best care possible!
Pros
Flexible Schedule
it was a great learning experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILJanuary 16, 2017
it was a clean environment I learned things I never knew and I loved coming to talk to the elderly and helping out. it was like a typical day at work just with no pay all of the employees were very nice humble they helped me when I needed help answered every question I needed answered all in all it was a great place to work and be at. I didn't have any co-workers I learned how to feed my patients I learned how to talk to them about different subjects
Pros
it helped me understand nursing homes
Cons
so many people were left alone and didnt have family to come visit
Love the independence that this offer
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 19, 2016
I love the in the field aspect of the job. The staff is awesome and welcoming. I learned a lot about the transitioning phase of life. Management is always willing to educate you further. My co-workers are down to earth and always willing to lend a hand, when needed be. The hardest is being On-call. It is difficult due to me having small children in day-care. It's hard finding childcare at wee hours of the night, being that I am a single mother of two. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it is not you average nursing home job, you really get to know your patients in a critical time in their lives.
Pros
Make your own shift, day shift, and you get to travel
Cons
ON-Call
Loved the traveling
CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Collinsville, ILNovember 9, 2016
I liked how I was not stuck in one house or just one facility my entire shift and they were always great about praising their staff for doing good
A productive physician
Medical Biller/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILJanuary 15, 2016
provides a challenging work environment that is both educational and offers new responsibilities. Saw a lot of interesting cases which required lots of phone calls to insurance companies to verify insurance and authorizations for service.
I loved working there
Externship Medical Assistant Program (Former Employee) –  Collinsville, ILSeptember 18, 2015
Working for Unity Hospice was fun. I got to meet some wonderful people my time there. If i could do it again I will. The men and women at the nursing homes that came into my life at the time was an eye opener for me and they made me feel so special that I got to know them.
wonderful
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 21, 2015
I loved doing my externship with unity Hospice. I was placed with great clients, that I looked forward to seeing everyday. My supervisor was so nice & understanding. She was always there to answer any questions that I had.
Horrible Company
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  NWINovember 11, 2014
The owner/administrator is greedy and finds a sick kind of joy when a new patient is dying and can quickly be admitted.
He wanted to admit a patient into a home without electricity or heat
Asked me to alter medical records
Speaks to employees in a demeaning, cruel and abusive manner.
Micromanages
distrusts everyone
he is a control freak and on a power trip
Not interested in patient care, interested in building census and making more money yet employees are not paid a living wage.
He is extremely wealthy, if his daddy didn't own the company he would not be able to work in the 'real world' because he has no management skills
the worst employer i have had in 30 years
i had to call adult protective services on several occasions because he does not staff properly, not enough staff to assure safety of patients
Pros
great, hardworking and caring CNAs that put up with an abusive employer
Cons
Terrible benefits, terrible boss, poor clinical manager, (wolf in sheep's clothing)
Official response from Unity Hospice
November 5, 2017

We’re troubled to hear your opinion about Unity. We are committed to delivering exceptional care to our patients and their families, with utmost compassion and respect, as well as to each other.

Our patients and their families are facing a crisis situation – we would never find joy out of admitting someone to hospice. However, we will rest easy knowing that we are able to get them the comfort care they need during this fragile time.

Very unorganized
RN (Former Employee) –  Collinsville, ILOctober 19, 2014
This job started out great, but soon turned ugly. Very unorganized, relied on lower grade staff to make decisions. Illegal pay practices. Some snotty employees, some very nice. Too much middle management. Orientation and training needs major rehaul.
Official response from Unity Hospice
November 5, 2017

We’re troubled to hear your feedback. It is our commitment to find qualified individuals to work for us so that we can provide the highest level of professional care to our patients, their families and to each other. We are continuing to streamline all operations and procedures. We received a top workplace award for the past three consecutive years due to the majority of our staff feeling as though management was instrumental in their success and ability to provide compassionate end-of-life care.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unity Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2