Unity Technologies

Unity Technologies Employee Reviews

United States16 reviews
This has been the best work environment I've been in hands down! I'm working here as a contractor but they do a really good job of making me feel welcomed and part of the team. At times I forget that I'm just working here on a contract.
Pros
Free lunch during big meetings, lunch and learns, team activities
Cons
great team, interesting projects. Speeds Up To GIG With No Contract And No Rate Hikes. Order Online Now! High-Speed Internet. TV. See Speeds & Pricing. Home Phone. Bundle and Save. Services: Fiber Internet, Internet, TV, Home Phone, Bundles.
I was brought on as en employee at Unity in Bellevue. I was promised an advancement in my career, in a fun inspiring environment. Much of that fell flat, sadly. Instead, what I experienced was cliquey segregated and stressed out co-workers - lots of demands and very little pay off. It became clear to me why so many people were stressed out. My boss was NOT flexible about me working remote 1 day a week as I had been promised due to childcare responsibilities (I have a 2yr old) on my end. And I was often belittled by a superior every time I turned in work for critique it was often met with very condescending remarks. No one would step in to help me because he was a 'partner' in the company. Apparently sexist higher ups at Unity have immunity. As a woman who has worked in tech my entire career, I have never felt so belittled and devalued.
where nepostism is supreme, It's really about the family and not about employees, eat it up. Do not apply unless you are a friend of the family.
Just another small biz nightmare, Avoid is my response required.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Unity claims to support work life balance but they have a prehistoric attitude toward working from home, even though San Francisco has difficult commute days, things like unhealthy air from fires, BART shutdowns, horrible traffic jams, etc. It is not easy to live right by the office, and thus almost everyone is stuck with insanely time wasting polluting commutes in one way or another. Even people in San Francisco. BART does land right by the door, though, so I have to admit that if you take BART some of these thoughts don't apply. Things come up, and they get very "concerned" that you took time off to deal with them even if you can show proof that you worked through them and used your own home network and cell to work a long day. The culture is otherwise amazing, supportive, great coworkers, truly diverse (from age to gender to country of origin). But they won't budge on this and it is quite difficult for parents of young children, or anyone with a temporarily ill self or ill relative. Unity, it will NOT hurt your culture to allow working from home on a limited basis.
Pros
Great culture, extra holidays, 5 float days, 15 vacation days, great free lunch and snacks, old people, people of all shapes and sizes, no jerks
Cons
Rare remote work, long days, open offices
Horrible cultural and petty local leadership. Power struggles amongst onsite executives and managers. Advancement is offered by default without regard to qualifications or ability to fulfill roles leaving major gaps in management and support of direct reports. Overall more concerned with outward appearances of driving towards IPO by 2020 than supporting a healthy work environment.
Growing company that needs structure at the highest levels of management and administration. Response to employee related issues could use a more concerted effort to resolve.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Disorganization in management and administrative efforts
Teams and groups seem to work very silo'd; partly due to many different office/studio locations. Because of this, if your role depends on multiple teams, it can be difficult to influence them. There doesn't seem to be top-down support encouraging/incentivizing cross-group collaboration.

I like to see goals and plans defined in advance, written down in a central location, tracked, and revisited regularly; and to be able to contribute to them. This didn't happen in my group. Management was mostly by Slack. :(
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
People management, management communication
Good place to work. Project Managers are knowledge, competent, and careing. The culture is one which allows for individual development and team building.
Cons
Salaries do not line up with area and industry averages.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Unity Technologies?
Great office, fantastic people, amazing software. Unity is a market leader, but does not forget where they came from. From top management down, there is a constant focus on making their products better, faster, and more efficient. Additionally, Unity is passionate about taking car of their employees, from benefits to work/life balance.
Coworkers are very intelligent and easy to work with. There are many different types of projects that will keep you busy. The position is not a high stress position, but it can be rewarding.
Todabia no tengo la experiencia para desirles como es trabajar aqui
Pros
seguro medico
Cons
Si
Great culture overall. Casual. Fun. Collaborative. Open communication. Intelligent. Forward Thinking. Innovative. Pushing the limits of engineering the in the the gaming space
Great place to work, with fun and friendly people. I did notice that communication from the top down, as well as from team to team seems to get lost.
The last company I worked at had a very old school state of mind. Slacks, cubicles, closed door policy, no happy hour, zero team bonding, etc.

It is such a relief to be at Unity where I have the opportunities to grow, try new things and really expand my horizons.

I've been here for almost 3 months and the responsibilities I have been given are amazing. I'm learning things here I would have had to beg for the opportunity to try at my last job.

Excited to be apart of this journey and see where we as a company arrive!
Pros
Monthly happy hour, team bonding, daily catered lunch
Cons
If you don't know gaming, you may not know Unity.
This place is going downhill culture wise. There seem to be layoffs every 3 months, they are slowly removing all of the perks, and the culture is becoming more stringent and less fun. Overall a typical workday is not that stressful but the exciting innovating times seem to be a thing of the past.
Pros
free lunches, semi flexible schedule
Cons
fewer perks, upper management does not support employees