UnityPoint Health Employee Reviews

Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IANovember 5, 2018
Never a dull moment working here. You could be relaxed watching cameras or running to a help in need call. Very exciting job. You learn how to interact with various people and ethnicity.
propaganda and manager realization not true
Sr. Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 5, 2018
I am all for saving resources. Take care of those who do the foot work and a company will flourish. Since the mergers of both UPH and UW hundreds people have been let go creating an unstable workplace environment no matter the posters plastered on the wall.
Beware
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 4, 2018
The company itself is great. Benefits and pay are pretty on par for the area. Only thing is the management and coworkers. They will find a way to get rid of you if they want. No advancement and lack of respect for employees that have established employment for years. If you’re a hard work you’re going to hate your life. If you’re a complete moron then you get to keep your job.
Benefits
Cons
Management, social drama
alot of diversity and you will stay busy. Never a dull moment
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 31, 2018
It was fun working there with the co-workers that I had. It was a very busy hospital, so be on your A game. There wasnt any way for advancement in radiology. But, the longer you are there, the better the hours will be to fit your home life.
Pros
friendly, knowledgeable staff
Cons
very busy at times
A review of a day at Meriter
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 28, 2018
At Meriter every day was educational. Working with three new residents on a yearly basis and getting to know their likes and dislikes. On a daily basis there would be lectures from specialists and general denothat practiced in the community. Many days of the week we had the opportunity to take special needs patients to the operating room to perform all their dental needs under sedation. While not being in the OR we would work with the residents performing chairside assisting.
Better than Mercy....
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 25, 2018
Floor nursing is hard no matter where you work. Unity Point is at least better than Mercy in many ways. My biggest complain is consistent understaffing with high expectations by management.
Pros
Great organization, more focus on patient care
Cons
no enough staff, ever.
Didn't think I'd ever leave this job
IT Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 25, 2018
Answered phones, reset password, helped with application issues and printer issues, Email issues,
We were located in the basement of the building but it was ok
Hospital
Productive and interesting place to work
Account Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 18, 2018
Good place to work if you're starting out in the health industry. Good opportunity for advancement if you are just starting out and want to make this your career.

One of the few places that offers excellent training with the software program.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
Departments are very clicky.
Great Company
IT Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 15, 2018
I would consider to return as a consultant if there is a need. Worked on a great team who valued their roles and responsibilities to meet company goals.
Work vs. Pay
Emergency Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAOctober 8, 2018
Very difficult job for very little pay. After being hired I have been told that I HAVE to pick up an extra 12 hours every month, that my 0700-1930 position is now 0730-2000, that I have to find my own coverage to use my earned time and now my extra 12 hours a month has to be either on a night shift or a weekend shift. (I already work every other weekend!) I run my butt off the entire 12+ hours that I am there every day. I could go work at Costco or Walmart and make more money for a lot easier and less stressful job.
Pros
Helping patients
Cons
Exhausting, Unappreciated
Poor Management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAOctober 4, 2018
Focus should be patient centered and employee satisfaction in order to have good patient outcomes. I understand that a values system is important and should be taken seriously if it is not followed to a severe level but managements sole focus is on driving their employees away by not valuing them or letting them know they are appreciated. Mistakes are magnified and successes are minimized. If you want to feel like a peeon work here
Merger
Hospital Billing Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 4, 2018
Meriter/Unity Point merger was difficult. Meriter went from a local organization to a global organization. Once it went global the system took a few level backwards which created a less effective system.
Pros
Team
Cons
Less personal to patients
a solid place to work
Utilization Review Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 2, 2018
Unity Point Health was a good place to work overall. There were resources available to employees such as good heath insurance and tuition reimbursement. The management structure was responsive to employee needs in general.
Pros
continuing education, allowance made to employee family issues, illness
Lots of changes since Iowa took over
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  PeoriaOctober 1, 2018
Billing and Credits are very underpaid. Pto is accrued at 7.34 biweekly. Your accrued Pto is also used for your holidays and you have to set aside 16 hours before they will approve time off. If you want a 40 hr vacation you have to have 56 hours saved which is difficult if you have a family.
The office is production based and your are accountable for gaps in your day. A work from home option is available after 6 mths of satisfactory employment but production doubles and they do not help you pay for internet. You also have to return once a week for any printing and meetings. You have 30 mins for lunch but have to punch in and out at your desk so you arent really receiving a full 30 min lunch period. You are only alloted 3 missed days in a year before corrective action starts. You are allowed to punch 7 mins early but not 1 second later or a tardy is counted against you. The building is separate from the hospital but you still have to dress business casual no jeans, no scrubs. Gym shoes are allowed. You get a discount in the cafeteria and can swipe it to your badge to be taken from your paycheck. The first floor cafe in the hospital is also nice. I would definitely weigh your options. If you can sit in a cubicle all day and do not mind someone walking around checking up on you, or dont have any responsibilities outside of lunch and breaks, then you will be fine. If you can't handle micromanaging and the fact everything is about policy , then this is definitely not the place for you.
Pros
Flex shift or four 10 hour shifts, cafeteria
Cons
Pay, micromanaged, no cell phones in office. You have to purchase an ipod or mp3 player to listen to music, favortism and lots of drama.
Great opportunity to learn case management
Patient Care Facilitator, North (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 30, 2018
This position taught me case management skills. I enjoyed learning about wounds, and surgical procedures. It was a fast paced culture requiring good teamwork

Loved my location
SCHEDULING/BILLING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 27, 2018
I loved the people at this job but needed to leave to find a job that was able to pay me more and aligned more with what I went to school for. Ultimately would go back.
Dedicated, caring teams
Employee (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 27, 2018
Focused on accountability and patient care from all areas. Numerous changes over the past several years due to the healthcare market changing and leadership changes.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 26, 2018
Great place to work. Been there for 14 years. Great benefits. Great coworkers. Work life balance is fine. Able to move up in the company and expand career.
Poor management
Nutrition Lead (Current Employee) –  Rock Island, ILSeptember 26, 2018
Most of my experience there is not the best from my direct manager. They just sat in the office all day without properly training empolyees. Only looked out for themselves, not the team
It was really good when I worked there
Manager Occ Med/Sports Med (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 25, 2018
It's been well over 25 years since I was employed there. I understand that now it is not as good as far as management/employee relations. The benefits were good and there were classes to take that encouraged growth of the employee.
Pros
Many classes to encourage growth of the emplooyee
Cons
Stress at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnityPoint Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight