UnityPoint Health Employee Reviews

Referral Center Des Moines IA
Referral Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Referral CenterJanuary 17, 2019
Loved my job as a referral coordinator. Management was cut throat would have her favorite pets in office that she parties and drinks with after work, treats rest of staff poorly. Many times employees would come to my office crying because of the way they were treated by the team lead she was rude and did not commit to the Unity Point FOCUS Values!
Pros
Loved Job
Cons
Management, Pay
The company's respect for their employees is going down hill
Imaging Technician (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 14, 2019
I have worked for this institution ever since it took over all of the local hospitals in the area that are not owned by OSF. The workplace environment across the board has been steadily declining over the past 4 years. When Unity Point took over it completely destroyed the work relations that have been created between prior co-workers by running off competent employees with insufficient compensation for talent and poor staffing. Unity Point cares more about productivity than it does about the well being of their employees.
Just terrible
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJanuary 10, 2019
They constantly want you to work because they are short staffed. They are constantly short staffed because no one wants to stay. We had multiple staff quit during orientation because of the culture. People that stayed through orientation, were constantly looking, and would quit eventually for better pay, better benefits, and most often - a better culture.

Pay - one could travel to another city less than an hour away for as much as $10 more an hour. In the same town, you can get paid $3-5 more working long term care.

Benefits - better pretty much anywhere you go.

Advancement - good if you are good friends with the "right" people, qualifications don't matter.

Management - petty, plays favorites, and much of the time unqualified for the job. Follow FOCUS values when it is convenient. Passes the buck whenever possible. Lies to cover themselves, willing to throw anyone under the bus to save their own skin.

Culture - pretty much a cross between high school, Scrubs the television show, and Grey's Anatomy the television show - all on a low buget.
Pros
Easy to get hired, to get some experience.
Cons
Pretty much everything else.
Overall good place to work for
Support Service member (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILJanuary 6, 2019
Good place to work for overall. People I work with are great. Upper management is there if you need them and sincere. Department lead is not very professional. Pay is on low end for work expected. Hours good, benefits good, over all it is an good job.
Pros
Benefits, Hours, Coworkers
Cons
Pay, Pto, tenured employees
Overall Average
Endoscopy RN (Current Employee) –  Rock Island, ILJanuary 2, 2019
I enjoyed working in the endoscopy unit. As a staff nurse, we would rotate duties, between admissions, discharging, doing procedures. It kept all of us from getting burned out in one area of the job.
Pros
Learning all aspects of endoscopy procedures.
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IADecember 28, 2018
UnityPoint Clinic is a good place to work. I enjoy working with the people I work with. Management always listens when you have a problem or issue. They are flexible when it comes to needing time off. Great all around. I am just looking for new career opportunities.
R.N. review
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Meriter/Unity Point Madison WisconsinDecember 24, 2018
Typical R.N. day is over 12 hrs long and is frequently extremely stressful. Shifts are fast paced and often with minimal help. Everyone is pushed to the limit most of the time. Be prepared to stay over your shift even if you have to work the next day. The obstetrics department "scheduled on call" is a horrendous affront and a real insult to the OB Department Nurses. Meriter uses EPIC which had been downgraded after the Unity Point /Meriter merger. I feel the newer version is inferior to the previous version though this may have changed since I left but I doubt it. Meriter/Unity Point always seems to be short of CNA's with a high CNA turnover present. Management monitors all staff through CAMERAS and computer login times with continuous surveillance. Disciplinary actions hang over employees heads constantly and in my opinion this creates a very negative working environment. Forget breaks, just forget them. If you do get a break your lucky. Recent nationally reported Neonatal Intensive Care events and situations are quite concerning. I was dismayed to find the recent publicly published violations and infractions reported after inspections done by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. I believe Meriter/ Unity Point almost lost their funding over this debacle. It's quite possible that the hospitals reputation has been tarnished for years to come all due to some poor compliance decisions. I do not work at Meriter anymore and feel I am much better off for it. In closing, while it was rewarding for me to have saved many lives while I was working at this hospital, it was the  more... poorly managed working environment that made me leave. I personally will not obtain medical services through Meriter/Unity Point. I am not recommending Meriter/Unity Point to anyone who asks. I hope you have gained some insights through my offered opinions of my experiences. I wish you the best in your job search. Good luck!  less
Pros
Nursing oppourtunity
Cons
Ineffective Management
Highly innovative
Process Improvement Coach and Project Manager (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IADecember 13, 2018
Responsible for driving system initiatives throughout the regions through large scale projects involving many stakeholders. Work was fresh and innovative.
Pros
Engaged leadership
Decent place to work, poor management
CERTIFIED TUMOR REGISTRAR (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILDecember 12, 2018
I have enjoyed growing with this company. But unfortunately the last 3 managers have been so poor I am forced to look elsewhere. the pay for my position at a CTR is not even close to being comparable to what others make in this field.
Pros
Great atmosphere as a whole, great co-workers
Cons
Low pay, horrible management
Strong organization, growing, professional culture
Surgical Team Leader RN (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 10, 2018
-Good opportunities for advancement and transfer to other departments as a nurse to work within
-Benefits and salaries competitive
-Professional relationships between staff, physicians and leadership
-Senior Leadership supportive and visible in departments
-Supported my growth as a Leader
-Very good Educators within departments
-Good collaboration between sister hospitals
-Excellent patient care
Pros
All care centers located on one campus - large network
Cons
Organization became so large, culture became more about the organization than the staff and patients that were being served
It is a good work family and everyone in my department work together
RN (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILDecember 1, 2018
I like the job that I do, I just feel like the company is to worried about competing with competitor hospitals and not looking at the big picture. Wages need to compete with travel nurses that’s where a lot of good nurses are being lost to.
Rewarding work
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IANovember 28, 2018
The work felt very rewarding at times. Patients should always be first priority, however it's not always the case. The management was poor and very unprofessional.
Pros
Benefits were decent
Cons
Good workers treated poorly, and bad workers favored.
Worst job experience
Financial Advocate (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 28, 2018
Taking a job at UnityPoint Health turned out to be a very big mistake. While employed there I was subjected to harassment and retaliation by my direct supervisor. I contacted the Human Resources department but they offered me no assistance and allowed my supervisor to continue with her abhorrent behavior. I looked into filing an EEOC complaint.

I never would have thought something like that would happen to me at my workplace. All I can say is to beware. Some positions are only open because they are so horrible that the employer cannot keep them filled.
Pros
Cons
Terrible management
great coworkers
OB Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 26, 2018
Great coworkers, friendly doctors, awful management. Always busy so never bored. Variety of job responsibilities and tasks. The cafeteria is pretty bad.
Review
Assistant cook (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 23, 2018
Typical day consists of making daily recipe for patients and cafeteria. Cleaning and following cleaning lists. Talking to co-workers about events that have happened.
Stressful with poor communications between staff.
Integrated Services Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 22, 2018
Almost everyday is stressful and busy, very busy. I feel that I'm caring to many responsibilities on my shoulders with little help or acknowledgement.
Pros
I do have great co-workers, who like to joke and play with eachother and who honestly care about others.
Cons
Horrible communication skills with management and too stressful.
Horrible enviroment, always felt like you were in trouble when you did nothing wrong.
Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IANovember 19, 2018
This is a horrible place to work. The management is horrible. They write you up just to not give you a raise. I would NEVER work there again. I learned Not to trust anyone, especially there. The Culture is horrible. Hardest part of the job is working with management, most enjoyable part was to save lives.
Pros
Cons
No Lunch Ever
It was a good place to start out
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 15, 2018
Overall the work community was alright. But they expect too much from employees. Never getting breaks, terrible food selection, no free lunches unless holidays. Good team work though. Don’t expect to not work if you go here. And the insurance you get only covers unity point you can’t go anywhere else. And be careful if you go to the ER with their insurance, may be out of network provider. Oh and unity point owns the insurance they go through so your paying to get insurance just to pay your ceo basically.
Pros
Good teamwork, good communication within staff, patients are great
Cons
Insurance is terrible if you have health problems, cap out on raises or no raises because company is “broke”
Not recommended
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 13, 2018
Poor management, Poor upper management. It's all about the numbers. Patient care is not on their sightline. Managers don't communicate changes with their employees. Managers don't have clinical experience. Don't miss training classes because they will fire you. Compensation is poor, insurance is expensive.
Productivity and fun at the work with the patients
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 10, 2018
Things are normally pretty busy at the hospital with tests sites. I learned where all we take our patients in the hospital and how to work all of the equipment. Our management team is amazing and they love helping out whenever they can. There are many different cultures and people that work in transport let alone the whole hospital. The hardest part of my job and trying to maneuver with all of the I.V pumps and bags and also making sure I get my patient to the right test site. I love working with so many different people and I can come to work and have fun with all of the employees here and not always have to be serious.
Pros
meeting a lot of new people and learning things.
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnityPoint Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight