UnityPoint Health Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fun workplace
Recruitment Sourcer (Current Employee) –  Rock Island, ILMay 16, 2018
UnityPoint-Trinity is a great company to work for, just wasn't much room for advancement within HR. The staff is very friendly and was flexible with schedules.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No advancements
UnityPoint Public Safety
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAMay 10, 2018
Working as a Public Safety officer, the position can be one of either feast or famine depending on events that may transpire throughout the day. As a general rule, coworkers within the position are collaborative and supportive. The position requires many and varied tasks outside that of security related function. Overall, the position at unity point is one that is enjoyable and pleasurable when dealing with staff, clients, and their families. As with any job there will always be issues and crises to overcome but there are generally means by which these issues can be discussed and resolved found.
Pros
Collaborative with teamwork
Cons
Sometimes lacking in open communications or dialogue.
Fun fast paced environment
Message Center Secretary (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 4, 2018
Loved working here very team oriented... friendly management, good benefits great pay, as with any job in the medical field it can be stressful, but very rewarding in knowing that you are truly helping every person you deal with.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Sometimes stressful
productivities
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 1, 2018
I love my job and my company. we always have lunch and learn, sometime we walk during lunch. The benefit was great, the people were friendly. I get a raise every year. Over all I would strongly recomended someone to work at Unity Point Health Des Moines.This is the best company to work for.
Pros
Free lunch and learn, increase raise every year
Cons
Too many over time, short staffs
Stressful and unrealistic
RN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILApril 25, 2018
The manager does not hold people responsible for the actions they do or don't do. They give you more responsibilities with no pay increase. They tell you to hold people accountable yourself but when you do, you get in trouble. No work/life balance. You are supposed to work 8 hours and end up 10 hour days to try to get everything that is expected for you done in the day. The actions from this place of employment lets the employees no they don't matter.
Pros
the doctors are great
Cons
everything else
Average job.
Radiologist (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILApril 17, 2018
Workplace was similar to many other hospitals. The management is not very present for second and third shift technologist which is a con. The patients are lovely though.
Manager of 2 untis
Oncology/Neuro (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILApril 11, 2018
I spend time on the units with staff to make sure I am available for questions. (Have in open door policy)

I have learned a lot. Started out as a patient care tech at the time of hire.

Workplace culture--can be stressful at times. Depends patient volumes and staffing needs.

Staffing a 44 bed unit--nursing shortage

Working with staff and the management team. I have personally learned a lot from other managers and directors.
Pros
Love the staff and manager group
Cons
Upper management is not always approachable
poor management, must be a suck up to get anywhere
psr (Former Employee) –  IowaApril 10, 2018
Terrible place to work. management only believes the star suck ups. No such thing as good work gets noticed. If someone doesn't like you then you will be a target. They will "random" audit you and then try to get you to admit to doing things you don't do so they can fire you without unemployment benefits. do yourself a favor pass on this job. they have horrible PTO for 5 years as well. You either take PTO for holidays or you have to work them. Unitypoint is as crooked as they come.
Enjoyed the people I worked with.
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 3, 2018
A typical day is pretty busy, I learned that bad management can make excellent employees leave. Work place culture was good between the front office and the nurses and Dr's. The hardest part of the job was knowing that the management does not stand up for their employees. The most enjoyable part was working with the ladies upfront. They made it easy to come into work.
Pros
Discounts, insurance coverage, 401k match
Cons
Poor managment
terrible place to work
Lead- Food and Nutrition Services (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILApril 3, 2018
Horrible management in food/nutrition department. Do not work for these people, you will regret it. I certainly did, and I have never walked away from a job smiling like i did when i left that terrible place.
Pros
money
Cons
constant suffering
Sterile process technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 2, 2018
Meriter has a great work environment and is a great place to work. Well managed and hard work is appreciated. would recommend this job and company to anyone.
Hostile
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 15, 2018
If you're not a Nurse dont expect to be treated like a human. One nuse runs the floor and if she dont like you be prepared to be the managers office all the time. The managers dont believe anything that you say if you dont have RN on your badge. If i would have known what i know now i would have never applied for the position i have in OB.
Pros
Helping babies be born
Cons
Hostile environment, disrepectful, liers
Frustrating
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Keokuk, IAMarch 4, 2018
Needs to update policies and procedures to ensure the safety of their staff. Outdated computer system.(1992) Still Faxing info!!! It's ridiculous. Copiers, printers don't work. Essentials for everything we need to do. Next to nothing for safety. Anyone can walk in and shoot the place up. Scary and sad. Our security guards are nothing more than warm bodies that sit around and drink coffee in the break room.

Simple things that one would expect to have in a multi-million dollar hospital. The money is there to pay the exuberant salaries and benefits for the executives. I just want to be able to do my job and pay my bills.
Pros
co workers are awesome
Cons
expensive cost for health insurance $5000 deductable
Didn’t like lying that went on
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAMarch 2, 2018
I. Loved my job for a very long time. I would still be there if not for the new manager and her backstabbing people. She changed that department for the worse wasn’t fun to go anymore. To much drama.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Favorite people where treated with dignity
Bland office environment
Staff Accountant II (Former Employee) –  W Des Moines, IAFebruary 24, 2018
The walls were really depressing. Nothing but beige walls and matching cubical walls. Most of the people that worked there were pretty great, except for management. Everyone was nice and very helpful, but senior management was very stringent. Senior management was kind of contradictory; They wanted to be used as a resource and to be mentors, but they were never available. Also, they really liked to play favorites. I had been apart of the team for years, handled the deadlines on time, and all the work that was given to me, but when I wanted to take a Senior Accountant position, they chose someone that already stated that had plans to leave the company. When this happened the lost a few good people because of that.
Pros
Relaxed dress code. Able to wear jeans and a polo shirt.
Cons
They said to talk to my peers, but when I did, they told me not to. Very contradictive!
Learn as you grow
certified nursing assistant (Former Employee) –  Dane County, WIFebruary 23, 2018
I have always loved taking care of people. I have always been given the opportunity to learn and take on more responsibilities as I learned on the job. Education was always encouraged.
Stressful
Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAFebruary 16, 2018
It’s all about managers and them getting their bonuses and big saleries not about the ones that do the work! Minimal raises and have to jump through hoops to get bonuses that you already worked to deserve.
Pros
Less than 30 minutes to drive to work
Cons
No support from supervisor or manager
Management is horrendous—think twice and run!
RN (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 15, 2018
Co-workers and patients are great but this huge corporation is a hot mess! Only cares about money, staff and patients are secondary. The administrative layer is bloated and indifferent. Advancement opportunities are only handed to the pets.
Pros
Piece of chocolate on Valentine’s Day
Cons
Everything else including respect, dignity, pay, and working conditions
Productive yet great atmosphere
INTERNSHIP OF HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 15, 2018
I loved my time at UnityPoint Health. All of my coworkers were extremely helpful when I first started and some of us became close friends. I truly believe this company cares about their patients and employees equally.
Pros
Fun activities regularly
A solid employer
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 11, 2018
While it can get busy, your work doesn't go unnoticed. The pay is fair and the benefits are excellent. The people you work with are a great team. I recommend this organization to everyone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnityPoint Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight