Universal Forest Products, Inc. Employee Reviews

Productive and Amazing Office
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belchertown, MAJuly 13, 2019
One horrible employee drove me out. Giving company to work for, management was top notch and very kind and generous. Some really fun and great people work there.
Pros
Free lunches, free swag, great management
Cons
HR/Secretary/Receptioinst is a horrible person
Way too stressful on everyone for no good reason.
Various Roles (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCJune 27, 2019
Everyone working there is always super stressed about nothing. They push and push and push until you can’t be pushed anymore. Under new management that sucks and is driving everyone away. Lowest work morale I’ve ever seen anywhere.
Great place to work. They treat you like family.
Forklift Operator and Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 25, 2019
My company was bought out by universal in June of last year. Since then I have nothing but good things to say about them. They treat you like a human being and value hard work.
Fast rate and intense environment
General labor worker (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 25, 2019
Fast-paced hard-working job for piece rate. Very Hands-On and physical with the equipment to build products for other companies that ship all over the world and through the United States
Pros
Heath care
Cons
Short breaks
Stressful and overly demanding
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Berlin, NJJune 24, 2019
They demanded way too much for what they paid, I was expected to perform tasks outside of my hired position, and recieved no help for tasks requiring more than one employee
Like the people I work with
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  DelanoJune 18, 2019
Able to play music during he day so that helps.2 paid 15 minute breaks. A lot of lifting so back is breaking early in the day. They do allow a day off if needed without pay with advanced notice. One week vacation after a year
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Cold
I loved working there. It is a very fast pace but not a hard job
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Conway SCJune 18, 2019
In my opinion I love the family oriented attitude that they share with their workers. Always fair and they really want you to advance in their company.
What Management Needs To Do
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Parker, PAJune 15, 2019
Sorry guys but you all need to get your facts straight before assuming you chose the wrong guys you now have two meth heads on the clock but that’s ok you all need to get the FACTS FIrST
Don't work there
Industrial Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Parker, PAJune 10, 2019
Poor management. Management holds personal grudges work is not compensated with equal pay yearly raises are very little expected to.work yourself to death for very little pay worse turnover rate I've ever seen. You know it's bad when the plant manager quits and employees with 10+ years quit. Worse please I've ever worked.
Pros
Cons
Just bad all around
Do Not Work Here
Builder/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCJune 6, 2019
Manager rude and racist they pay 9 an hour the only way you can make more is production but you will never make production. Black female work the hardest.
Pros
Cons
Manager racist hard work not enough money
Official response from Universal Forest Products, Inc.
June 17, 2019

Thank you for expressing your concerns about our Salisbury, NC location. While we’re disappointed to see your review, we’re serious about improving our business and value the input of employees, past and present. We encourage you to share any concerns via our anonymous employee hotline or by speaking to a member of our employee relations team at 800-598-9663. This will allow you to share specifics about your experience so the human resource department can address any legitimate issues.

its ok
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  WisconsinMay 31, 2019
Universal is okay right away but once your there for over 6 months you understand how pourly its ran and how little discipline there is there, people gone all the time with no vacation, dont really get disciplined, The other thing is no matrter what you do how much you work if you fill in or work overtime nothing is rewarded. there is no ryme or reason to wht people are doing there now this is at one plant they have many in the united states, and im just the maintenance guy but once your not on the floor and look at things from different prospective you notice things, and when you bring issues up you are looked down on.
Pros
great work schedule, easy work
Cons
healthcare, lenency, dicipline and pay
Ufp
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCMay 28, 2019
My overall experience was great. Some managers made it difficult to reach goals I learned a lot and would recommend any person to try to make a career with this company .
Pros
Training advancement Bonuses
Cons
Hours
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prairie du Chien, WIMay 27, 2019
I enjoyed my time at universal. They have a lot to offer and everyone there is pleasant. I would still be there if I didn’t have to move. They take care of their employees and felt like a family
Pros
Free lunches, great benefits, company gatherings The list goes on
Worst place ever
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 27, 2019
If you are looking at the Orlando location look somewhere else the plant manager is a joke and cheap never gives a raise and your going to do way more out your job title for no extra pay also treats the employees like slaves
Pros
Cons
Work u like a slave
Shift Leader
Wood Assembler/ Sawyer / Second Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, GAMay 13, 2019
Horrible management I had a supervisor that did not care about the employees. They want you to work extra for those that didn't. The pay was minimum. No one really cares about the employee's safety.
Pros
oportunity to make lots of overtime
Cons
very short breaks, lack of comunication
Productive and Educational
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  White Pigeon, MIMay 11, 2019
After coming from the my previous employer which was a supplier to the housing industry. Learning Customer Service in a different industry has been enjoyable.
Good place to work.
maintenance mechanic (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCMay 10, 2019
Good environment to work in. Great pay and a good company. The workers there are helpful and patient. Most problems were fixed quickly. Parts were most readly available upon request of repair.
Pros
Hours steady
Cons
Some 6 day weeks
dont work there
worker (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, GAMay 8, 2019
management is less than educated and in turn will no look out for your safety. All this company cares about is money and none at all about the employees even though they say they do. you will not get a raise and you better now how to speak spanish.
Pros
its a job
Cons
not safe, no raises, management are idiots
Awful
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Gordon, PAMay 3, 2019
Just a terrible place to work other than something to get you by till you can find a real job. The pay is absolutely disgusting. The bonuses help a little if you get them. That is left up to the supervisor which in most cases has a couple people they'll take care of and everyone else is disposable and undeserving. Management is worried about nothing but numbers. They preach safety and being a family but if that were my family I would disown them. And safety only matters when they can reprimand someone and make a fool of them. So if you're a pure suck up yes man and like low pay for long hours of miserable work and you don't need much in the line of insurance then this is the place for you.
Pros
Usually steady work
Cons
Everything about the company
It is
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Pearisburg, VAApril 22, 2019
It’s not a terrible place to work. But there is a huge difference in how things are ran between 1st and 2nd shifts. There is no swing shift. And. I paid sick days. You get a point for every day you miss. Or a half of a point with a drs note.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Forest Products, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.