Universal Health Services Inc.
46Low

Universal Health Services Inc. Employee Reviews

United States401 reviews
Featured review
Universal Health Services Inc. selected this as a representative review
Reasons to work at UHS
There is a strong corporate culture,a commitment to excellence and a collaborative team environment at UHS. It is a company anyone should feel proud to be affiliated with.
Sink or Swim culture
Lots of projects, little support, no work flexibility, very stressful enviroment and micromanaging leadership.

Lots of room for growth and advancements, good place for career development and experience.
Corporate Leadership is derogatory
This corporation is exclusively focused on earning the corporate executives huge bonuses on the backs of the leadership of the individual hospitals. There is consistent lack of transparency from Corporate to the hospitals always adding more costs to the hospitals so the corporation can lower bonuses to hospital leadership. Corporate will even change the bonus criteria during the middle of the year if too many hospitals are meeting the targets to trigger hospital leadership to receive bonuses. Alan Miller routinely Corporately pays to have board members join him on trips to Las Vegas under the guise of work travel. None of the board members set foot on any of the hospital campuses. Alan will go to one or two of the hospitals and demand the hospital leadership team be available at his whim. Last time it was 8 AM on a Sunday morning, so much for my intention of going to church. Alan Miller demands you worship at the church of Alan Miller. This is a family owned business and from a corporate perspective behaves no differently than any other family business. From the way the board members are elected to the way corporate executive positions are held.
Pros
Hospital Leadership and environment is OK as long as Corporate isn't breathing down their necks
Cons
Corporate lack of transparency, Compensation/Benefits/Paid time off/Investment in Technology are all lower than the industry median.
Owner doesn’t care about anyone but himself
You are charmed into believing you have value but owner micromanages every working moment; no trust; he wants triple in productivity to what he pays you; healthcare benefits make working there unaffordable; no mileage reimbursement; too high expectations, only cares about bottom line; no training
Admin/Management only Cares about the money
Working for the branch of UHS was a nightmare. The turnover rate was high because the management simply didn’t care about the employees nor the patients, just the check that comes from the insurance company. We are constantly mandated and drafted (there was no difference) for double shifts & with a family to take care of that left me with about 4 hours of sleep before having to return to work; Requests for supplies are usually never met and pulling money out of your pocket with no reimbursement is typically the way to get the job done; Any ideas to improve the place is ignored unless you are in the small inner circle and there just really wasn’t anything therapeutic for the residents 95% of the time. I came to make a difference and help the residents, I ended up lasting about three months before I realized it’s all about the money and not about the residents.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
No summary
Good company overall. Management fought to keep union out. Did make some corrections after threat of Union. Has lost many of long standing staff. Would recommend for someone looking for a job.
Learning environment and great peer support
Great opportunity to learn new aspects of healthcare management. I have peers to call upon that had been doing the same job for more than 20 years and were very good at what they do every day. The organization strongly encourages higher levels of industry credentialing and education. I wouldn't be considering other opportunities if I lived anywhere else but where I do and because of where I live I can't make ends meet on Pennsylvania based wages.
Management Issues
Management does not support the long term vision of the organization and often makes decisions that do not support the employees or organization favorably.
Payment specialist
The atmosphere and work culture at this place is horrible and if that was better maybe the job would be more inviting but the work culture is a mess and the PTO is trash and I just would not recommend working here
Need to allow facilities to have the most up-to-date technology
Unfortunately, the one thing that was frustrating was the technology. Facilities were still very paper driven and that makes it challenging from a clinical and non-clinical standpoint.
Great Team work Environment
UHS provides a great work environment by allowing you to work with supportive team members and leaderships. The salary and benefits are comparable to other healthcare IT companies. UHS does not have any work from home policy which puts them behind in this ever changing industry.
Opportunities for advancement
I found a lot of opportunity for advancement within the system, it was a great way to learn and grow as an employee. UHS has a great benefits package as well.
Work environment
Busy environment; assist patients with account questions. The managers are very concern about staff but unfortunately employees are under paid. nice job
Giving great customer support and care.
A great understanding of patients care and problem solving ability and working with medical soft ware. To help give patient a better quality of life on time.
Worst place to work
I worked there for many years never git a raise, very hostile work place. The director digreates you as a woman, sexually harrases you with personal questions. Treats you like a slave and takes your money from your pay check as he pleases
Pros
Cons
Never work there. Owner is a slave driver
Punitive social service manager
Worked 3 years as a therapist. Social service manager is outright abusive. Tells you to back date notes and treatment plans. She makes serious accusations of her staff members. High turnover rate.. problem at valley behavioral health hospital in Phoenix is abusive social service manager. Makes staff do groups when they are not licensed to do so.very unhealthy work environment. Manager didn’t inform staff of a patient suicide attempt until after programming was over on the unit.
Corporate grind with Opportunities for learning
UHS is a wonderful place to maximize your understanding of healthcare, with some opportunities for advancement. Work/life balance is a struggle, and the bottom line is often the highest priority.
Lack of support. Goals not clear. Lack of inclusion in decision making.
You may fit well with this organization. It was not a good fit for me. There is little balance between what is asked of you and what support you receive to deliver upon the asks.
Backstabbing and Cut-Throat at Corporate
This was an interesting position, full of experiences I will use to sniff out such an environment on subsequent interviews at other companies. Everyday I was the recipient of finger-pointing to correct issues where I had no control and no opportunity for influence. It was a constant blame-game with no real visionary in my line of management. The culture breeds bullies who thrive on tormenting new hires. There is no work-from-home option, even during snow storms, when employees are asked to move their cars (in 6+ inches of snow) so the plow can clear the parking lot. The dress code is pure business - I wore a suit nearly every day to sit in an office.
Don’t trust the administration
Don’t trust the Director of Nursing/administration. They will look you in the face and lie to your face. Stay away at all costs. The residents are suffering because the lack of care from the front office. Wipe out the current admin and get someone in there who wants best for the residents.
very little internal advancement opportunities
UHS is a great place to work if you are not looking to advance within the company. The co-workers know their jobs well and have all been in there same positions for years.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Health Services Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
2.7
2.6
2.8
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Universal Health Services Inc..