Universal Hospital Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 3, 2018
I won't talk down to much on the job because everyone's experience is different. What I will say is there is lack of direction and vision from executive management. Unrealistic decisions and goals were made that would not allow for growth amongst the staff. Suggestions fell on deaf ears and was not taken into consideration. When things didn't go right, there was a scramble to try and cover their tracks through "coaching", which took place within a span of a month and half to justify all was done. If you are looking for clear direction with an opportunity for advancement, this is not the place. If you are looking for leaders that lead with integrity, this is not the place.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Poor leadership and direction
Hospital Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Neenah, WINovember 8, 2018
The job isn't difficult but it does get very busy at times or there are certain season where it gets pretty busy. It can be overwhelming but overall the flow is pretty steady. Management has been great. I'm on my third manager after being with the company almost 4 years but my past managers were great and I think that new one is going to work going to be great. I love that I get to help with things directly. I've learned that I thrive more in my job when I work directly with the client opposed to indirectly. There's something about that face-to-face communication that ensures the client that they are being taken care of. I find joy in providing my clients top customer service as well as making a connection with them daily to ensure that they are satisfied with the work provided.
Family like atmosphere but little to no room for advacment
Technical Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Machesney Park, ILNovember 4, 2018
I enjoyed my time at UHS. It had a family like atmosphere and was a pretty laid back biomed repair shop. With that said, there was little to no room for advancement and no opportunities to increase your knowledge on more advanced hospital biomedical equipment. For those reasons the pay is lower when compared to a hospital based Biomedical Technician and/or Biomedical Supervisor position.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere. Lots of free lunchs and employee cookouts.
Cons
Little to no room for advancement. Lower pay than a hospital based Biomedical position.
Friendly place to work, but not always set up for success.
Hospital Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 1, 2018
Management doesn't do a good job of letting employees know they are appreciated and doesn't give the a chance to take on more work and responsibility.
It’s not a place to plan for a career. Strictly a job situation.
Hospital Service Technician I (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 11, 2018
Better management needed. Pay is low & stagnant. There is a huge lack of training. Just a get by to get out and get home type situation. Stuff just continues to trickle down from the morning and snowball into the evening shifts.
Pros
You’re employed.
Cons
Buddy buddy type of management to worker situation., If you’re not a buddy then you carrying your work and others all day.
Not Fun Place
Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 7, 2018
not a warm and fuzzy place, will work you until you drop and be prepared to be on call 24 hrs a day , co worker was horrible if you want training Not !
Pros
Cons
young people no experience
Would not recommend.
Customer Service Technician/Driver (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLOctober 3, 2018
I wouldn't recommend this job to my worst enemy, even if I had one. It's slavery. There is no life balance, the training is terrible, the pay isn't worth it, it can become very stressful, you end up having to work overtime almost every day, plus you'll have to work on call on your days off once or twice a month. If you let them, they will work you 12 days straight. Yes, there are a couple genuinely nice and hardworking people that work here, but still, there is too much politics and there is no room for advancement. Hopefully, you'll make the right choice and think twice about working here.
Pros
Not much.
Cons
A whole lot.
Was a good place to learn all kinds of equipment repair
Bio Med Tech 1 / Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 25, 2018
Pick up equipment from location (if can not repaired at location), repair, return.
Learned how to work on a lot of different equipment and PM a lot of equipment.
Upper mgmt in Memphis was a little shaky (new) but worked with employees, even if the still did not fully understand what may happen with schedule if this was done....but they worked to makes things work for both customers and employees which was a big plus.
A lot of good attitudes for the most part, did your job you stayed out of trouble. This was a job, if you slacked, it causes issues for the fellow employees. All it would take is one bad apple to mess things up, and I think mgmt gave a little too much forgiveness. Being on the road, delivering or repairing, that can cause big issues, to have to go deliver equipment for someone else.
Worst part was having to pick up someone else's slack, which would put you behind.
Best part was meeting different employees in different hospitals.
Pros
good place to learn, to branch out
Cons
very small work force in local offices, one bad apple can cause issues for the whole office
Fun
Hospital Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 10, 2018
Good company and good values! They take the time to. Make sure staff has the tools to succeed! I wish o didn't get stuck working second and third shift sll thr time!
Pros
Good company to learn at
Cons
Na
Got Stuck as the apprentice to the GURU
developer (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNSeptember 10, 2018
Stuck in VB6 land. No source control. No written specs for code. One cranky old guy controlled everything. Never take a job where they say they will convert to another technology, but don't have the budget yet.
Pros
Office facility is a palace. Great cafeteria
Cons
Office facilty in in the farend of suburbia, and very hard to access with public transit
People are friendly
Biomedical and Field Services (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN 37217August 28, 2018
Working with people that are friendly but have to do more than one thing at one time. Had fun working there. Enjoy the travel back and forth, meet new people and develop my skills
Pros
Close to a variety or fast food restaurants, paid when on a call in, paid holiday vacations
Cons
Can not think of any at this time
not organized
SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 24, 2018
People are in good spirit,but lack of communication .What i learn to repair equipment and keep track of certain items.Work place nice enough to have.manaement seems like their all over the place sometimes
Pros
good people
Cons
not organized
Fun
Hospital Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 18, 2018
Fun environment, nice individuals would go back if they’ll have me. I think I would try to travel a bit more from hospital to hospital not state to state
District Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 8, 2018
Overall very happy with job and company. Pay range could be better for hourly staff. Working for my Divisional Ops Director is the best part of the job.
Try somewhere else, unless you have no other choice
Biomedical Equipment Technician I (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, MAAugust 6, 2018
Stagnant. Tons of equipment everywhere, no one trained to work on them except 1 or 4 people. Those 1 or 4 people do everything in their power to stay out of the office and out on assignments. Available manpower, but management is too scared to invest in any single person. Two 4+ year employees left for better jobs before my temp position expired. Some might make assumptions and say the company was probably better without them but I knew them to be hardworking people who were just sick of the unfair and let's be frank pointless and time wasting excuse of a job that UHS offers. Also, it isn't localized, it's incredibly common across the company. As I traveled to many different assignments in coop with local districts, the story was the same everywhere I went.
Driver
Medical Equipment Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Westchester, OHAugust 6, 2018
Hours where ridiculous. They work you 18 days straight, and your busy the hole time. Management was the absolute worst tho, they only care about themselves.
Pros
alright pay
Cons
no time to spend with your family
Great place to gain knowledge and expertise
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 26, 2018
Leadership all came from CareFusion so if you worked there, it will look at feel much the same. In account management/sales, you are expected to make 5-10 calls per day on existing and prospective clients including cold calling, work collaboratively with operations team and clinical team members to drive new business and maintain existing business. Business planning, time and territory management, accurate forecasting are a must and take up a considerable amount of time out of the field. Training can be at the corporate office, at a company paid for meeting, or virtual depending on the course taken. The company does an excellent job of providing you with the tools you need to be successful and the marketing department is top notch. Most team members are positive and the culture overall is positive. Senior management is supportive, but at the local level, management is more of a micromanaged style. Great place to learn and to expand your knowledge portfolio, but not a lot of room for growth.
Cons
Contracting department needs a revamp as does the comp plan
When I worked here the people made the job a lot better
Customer Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 25, 2018
The workplace culture was great. Management was easy to work with and for. At the time my Operation Manager was the best I'd worked for and then he left the company and they brought someone else in that only cared for his self.
Uhs
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 16, 2018
Does not care if you have a imediate family member in the hospital dying. They still require you to work. And will find any reason to get rid of you even if people who have been there less time make the same mistakes
Great job, Pay is little at the start
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 6, 2018
Raises are a joke, asides from that it is a great company to work for. Started as a HST, now in management. Opportunities come and go and gotta move up when time is right.
Pros
Annual Raises
Cons
Raises are 2-3%

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Hospital Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight