Universal Instruments Corporation Employee Reviews

Nice place
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2018
Nice place to work. You will always learn in the work. People are nice and helpful. Flexible work hours. Quality of work is important here.

Cons: no annual salary hike.
Vision Engineer (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYMay 17, 2018
This is my first job after I received my Ph. D degree. Therefore, I leaned a lot o the industry experience and apply my computer vision and machine learning knowledge to the work.
Pros
Good work enviroment
Cons
Little slow
Productive and good people to work with
Mechanical Engineer Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 28, 2018
Pros:
Challenging work atmosphere
Great learning experience
Well supported by colleagues
Good meeting outcomes

Cons:
Need more Engineering support to product line
Excellent company to work
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYMarch 14, 2018
People are really helpful.A lot of different projects are going on in the company. You can actually design a stuff for them and they manufacture it in a company. So you can actually see your work in real.
Good Place but no much growth.
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Conklin, NYOctober 3, 2017
- The higher management needs to take care of the employees so that they stay in the organization and contribute as much as possible.

- Should have position promotion with performance analysis to keep the employee working
Mechanical Engineer Co-op for 6 months.
Mechanical Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYSeptember 9, 2017
Real life projects. Great experience. Good people.
My job was to document changes, design parts and assemblies. Do some prototyping and testing. Used Pro-e all the time.
Great C0-workers.
Robotics Technician (Current Employee) –  Kirkwood, NYSeptember 8, 2017
Great co-workers, when I applied for the position I just wanted to try something different within my chosen career / profession. It is now time to go back into I.T. / Technical Support Technician.
Poor management
SW technical (Former Employee) –  Conklin, NYMay 8, 2017
You will get shuffled around to different jobs. "Training" is a joke. Management assumes you have been working for the company for decades. They no nothing about on-boarding. Don't be surprised as a newcomer, if you are thrown right into a complex project with little explanation of the scope and no training on the equipment. Management can be cold and unapproachable which does not help an employee succeed.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Micro Manager, poor communication, poor training
Great Place to Work
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Conklin, NYApril 5, 2017
Awesome Technology, good ability to learn fundamentals of Engineering. I have spent a lot of time growing within this company, but I am looking to relocate
Great Place to work
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMarch 28, 2017
Fun and exciting adventures await. Lots of travel to various customer sites. Quite the experience if you love to travel. No complaints whatsoever. .
good experienced worker
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYOctober 18, 2015
I worked 30 years at Universal Inst.I enjoyed working here,just too bad the economy turned for the worst in 2008,I learned a lot got alone with every one.
Great Company for growth opportunity
Field Service Engineer/Regional Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJuly 29, 2015
As a FSE for Universal, an individual becomes an entrusted representative of the company to all of the customers you service.

UIC was VERY supportive in all aspects of the situations you were sent into.

Troubleshooting machine or customer process problems could be quite challenging, but the technical training UIC would give you was enough to support your needs.

The most satisfying position I have ever had in all my lifetime positions.
Pros
Close comrade working conditions
Cons
leaving there
Universal Instruments Corporation
Manufacturing Manager (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYApril 2, 2015
Great place to work. Very solid company and build a reliable product. Would recommend them to anyone in the advanced technology industries.
Everyday is a new experience...
Research Project Assistant/Intern (Current Employee) –  Conklin, NYMarch 1, 2013
A great hands on experience,the first of its kind for me in handling real-time projects. Working with greatly skilled professionals in the area of reliability testing and electronics packaging; there is something new to learn everyday and its also fun.
This company gave me the most in the way of knowledge, skills, and ability
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Conklin, NYOctober 25, 2012
It's hard for me to describe a typical work day at this place since I had so many years invested and worked in a variety of areas. I started out learning how to run cables on a board and went on to building my own cables from start to finish. The company, later on, broke up the cable build process into stations, so that each person performed one operation of that cable and moved it onto the next. This worked fine since we were building cables that went into our own companies machines. This company had their own "cable house" at that time. In later years, however, the company disbanded the cable division and outsourced their cable assembly to be done overseas to save money. I did spend a year in the final assembly division in an attempt to learn more and move beyond cable assembly, but then there was a lay off and I got bumped back into the cable division. After cable assy. , I went on to working in the electrical/mechanical division building power chassis, and power distribution boxes, and a variety of mechanical sub-assemblies that went into both IM and SM machines. The division I was working in was eventually incorporated into the company's Remanufacturing Division where I learned the process of tearing down old, dirty and worn assemblies to rebuild them back into reusable assemblies that went back into machines that went back on the market for resale at cheaper cost. I learned so much from this place. Management seemed like a constant revolving door. From what I can recall...I think this place went through at least 9 Presidents in my 22 years there. I do feel that management,  more... for the most part, was pretty good. There's always going to be pros and cons when it comes to management, and I won't deny that there were times when I felt slighted when I went through the cross training process for 3 months only to have a boss hand my position to someone that lived down the road from them. This kind of thing happens everywhere. I will always give credit where credit is due and this place gave me a lot. I enjoyed my co-workers a great deal, through the good, bad and the ugly.  less
Pros
i gained the most skills, and experience from this company.
Cons
once you got 20 years in the company, if you were lucky to get that far, you became a target to be let go
Equipment Mfg
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYOctober 3, 2012
Mainly equipment mfg with small operations in upstate New York.
A very clean exciting workplace.
Electrical Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYAugust 27, 2012
good pay and benefits. Management was very fair and cordial. very good opportunity for advancement. extremely knowledgeable and friendly co-workers. great environment for learning and developing new technologies. Hard work, but quite rewarding.
Pros
yearly picnics.
Outstanding company that really valued its employees
Compensation & Benefits Manager (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJune 19, 2012
When I worked at Universal for 11 years, it was the most prosperous and expansionary period in their history. I was allowed to expand my job as much as I wanted, and I learned a lot there just by shouldering new responsiblities.

Employees really were treated like family, and I would still be there if I hadn't been laid off when their manufacturing moved to China.

Met lots of good people , of which only a handful remain.
Hi Speed Chip Pacement Workplace
Main Programmer Operator of CMMs / QC Inspector (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYApril 30, 2012
With over 20 years of service to this one place I went through many changes to not my own jobs but the to the company itself
Many variations of personal and professional changes in the end
it was all well worth it
the worse work place I have ever worked
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Conklin, NYApril 10, 2012
I have no words to discribe the unhealthy and toxic invironment.
Pros
the people
Cons
the ceo, cfo, are the worse leader, they are "greedy, unethical, arrogant and ignorate