Universal Logistics Holdings Inc. Employee Reviews

Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNAugust 25, 2018
Fast paced but easy job. Benefit package needs to have more options at a lower cost due to the company that they are supplying for. Overall the managers were great and the people.
Great Company!!
Anonomous (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIAugust 8, 2018
I love working for Universal. Every day is different, and I find myself learning something new daily. I enjoy the fast-paced work environment, and the daily collaboration with my team and managers. I would recommend working at Universal to anyone who is looking to start their career in transportation and logistics, as it is a growing company with a lot of opportunities for growth.
Pros
Great management, friendly work environment, opportunity for growth
Cons
No direct deposit
Lazy supervisors and lack of safety concern
Driver (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJuly 26, 2018
Lazy supervisors, lack of safety concern for anyone, drivers and dock workers alike! Extremely Low pay for what’s expected! Management doesn’t have any control over anyone or anything!
Pros
Free insurance
Cons
Everything else
Growing company
anonymous (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 24, 2018
Growing company, great leadership, many opportunities to move around and advance. Highly recommend to anyone looking to start or continue their career.
Pros
Leadership
Excellent Job
Office Worker (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 24, 2018
Friendly Enviroment. I look forward to going to work everyday. The company needs to match the 401K or a least offer stock options. CEO good me more hands on.
TRANSPORTATION LEAD (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, TNJuly 21, 2018
Manager is top notch. Environment is great. You have the ability to advance if you work hard to get it. New equipment and modern facilities to work in.
Great job
Operations Superviosr (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 13, 2018
This is a great job!! Theres always things to keep you busy and the team we work with is strong. It took a little to get up to speed on the day to day but after that everything has been smooth. were working 6 days a week right now but theres bonus pay for it so that makes it good. I've already been able to work in a couple areas on the warehouse and its been great. working with GM and the union can be tricky but its really not too bad. Our warehouse runs like a machine and its definitely because of our team staying on top of there game.
Pros
Great team, always staying busy
Cons
Benefits could be better and no match on 401k
Don’t work here!
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJune 30, 2018
One of the worst places I’ve ever worked, you get 2 breaks one 10 minutes and a 30 minutes lunch, you work almost every weekend, all of the employees are through a temp service and ours was horrible so the staff was a constant revolving door, I got zero training...I was told it was all situational learning, everything I know could of been trained, we have one client Case New Holland, you get 100+ calls a day for hot parts and have no time to do anything else and then the plant manager comes down on you for not being able to complete your daily work as a manager, you can’t win! You never catch a break.. the plant manager doesn’t care about a thing until he gets yelled at about it and then makes you stay late or come in on off time to get it done, you don’t get paid a bonus for working on Saturday and Sunday unless you work 8 hours which Case usually never does on Sunday so when you are mandated to be there and they leave early... congratulations you just worked that day for free!
Cons
No direct deposit
Broom pusher
Broom pusher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 31, 2018
It's a terrible place to work and I feel sorry for anyone who goes there. I didn't learn much other than the aisles are long and they gave me a cheap broom.
Do not work for this company!
Yard Jockey (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNApril 14, 2018
Where do I start! This is the worst company I ever worked for in my entire driving career! The management sucks they have no respect for they employees! They treat you like a kid! They talk crazy to you every morning! And your pay check is always wrong at the end of week. And the trucks are a piece of dunk Every time you take it to the shop to get something fix they never fix it! The best thing about this job is your days off! Trust me if you work for this company it will be the worst mistake in your life! Run!!
Pros
Days off
Cons
Good employer to work for
OTR specialized (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIApril 10, 2018
Great company to work for. Never any problems I recommend them if u don’t mind staying away from home. Great money u can make. I was able to gross 250k to truck just last year. Work hard and make money
Pros
Steady high paying freight
Cons
No healthcare or 401k
Horrible place to work!
Ocean Export Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIFebruary 8, 2018
Management is horrible along with one floor supervisor! They are very arrogant! There is no training, it’s like they set you up to fail and make you look stupid! Not a friendly working environment at all! Your there 9 hours a day with a 30 min lunch and no breaks! Poorly managed!
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Hours, poor management
Terrible company to work for
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIJanuary 23, 2018
I worked for universal logistics for a period of time and when I was hired the promises and sales pitch to get me to hire in was way different than what I got. The benefits are not as good as they make it out, pay is somewhat descent, management staff is very very negative, and the culture is less than poor. If you are salaried, they expect more than 9 hours a day (No overtime for it) along with some Saturdays. The Saturdays are suppose to be overtime paid but they don't pay when it is earned, only quarterly. Then if you quit prior to them paying the overtime for Saturday's...they will not pay it out because the employment ended before the payout date. They also charge back for PTO days that were paid out during the year. The culture is do it because I pay you to and the lash out in vulgur manners toward employees. There is a much larger list of bad items from this company but too much to list here. I would not recommend this company to a anybody not even my worst enemy.
Pros
There are definetly no pros
Cons
A great sales pitch to over glorify the company.
Best Job Yet
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 22, 2018
I read half the reviews and I was like they have to be lying and that was before I started working here. After I started working here I realized some people are just lazy. I love the job and the management team. S/O to the Houston squad lol. The best yet. I was sick for 2 weeks and I still had my job when I returned. They kept up to date with me made sure I was okay. They keep me rolling without a doubt. I don’t complain UNLESS a shipment is screwed up and that’s rare in my case. I’m home on the weekend and it’s just relaxing and fun. It’s always hilarious when my dispatchers is in the office. Do the work and you’ll be rewarded that’s how I see it. It’s no complaints on my end. GOOD JOB team!!
Pros
Time Home, Pay, Management, Benefits
Cons
Shippers
Low pay and favoritism is a daily thing
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIJanuary 17, 2018
Not a career it’s only a job. They will hire anyone. Poor management and supervision. Only afternoon and midnight shifts are the whole reason the doors are still open. No incentives to stick with the job other than to collect a skimpy check
Pros
Union
Cons
Low pay
Horrible
Switcher Driver (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJanuary 10, 2018
Worst place ive ever worked, they legitimately have no common sense. They wont give dock workers ot but are constantly behind. But me as a switcher am expected to do 12hrs +daily. They dont care about drivers they set our trucks on a timer to shut off every 2 minutes to save on filters for the def system keep in mind its winter and was -10 degrees for 2 weeks in a row. No communication or orginization what so ever its like they show up daily and just wing it. Yards are over packed no where to put a trailer so in order to get one to a door u move 5. Could rant on but its nonsense like one guy said if u need a few quick checks go for it but i wouldnt recommend anyone put them selves here.
Pros
Job security, turnover rates so high u would have to seriously screw something up to get fired, that or management doesnt like you.
Cons
Hours, no work life balance. Expected to work more than everyone there because they cant keep workers
Incentives
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, TNNovember 29, 2017
There are no incentives to stay at Universal long term. There is no matching 401k, lacking insurance, and there is currently no employee handbook to answer any questions employees might have. The work itself is relatively easy but the scheduling makes for long and often unnecessary days. The company could get ahead of many problems but they continue to be reactive instead of proactive. They are trying to move in the right direction but it is a painstakingly slow process. There have been many improvements as of late but again, they have been long overdue. The company has potential but there are some majors issues (insurance, 401k, promoting within) that need to be addressed for that potential to be fulfilled.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
No long term incentives
Working here should be a pit stop while you find a career
Employee (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNNovember 29, 2017
The management staff at Smyrna is weak. Extremely weak. However the corporate office is less than weak. Corporate is THE major reason why the place is the way it is. Corporate thinks they are running this facility correctly, however every move they make is exactly opposite of the decision that should be made. For too long, over a year now there is a shortage of equipment. (Fork lifts and scanners). With corporate being a huge detriment to the successful operation Nissan is a close second. Nissan is unable to control their venders, unable to inform the rank and file of how many trailers are coming in on a day to day basis
Unable to control they flow of freight that enters the building. There is freight that sits in inventory for months. Universal has become a storage facility for Nissan. If you feel that as an employee you will get promoted to full time supervisor you are fooling yourself. With over 1 year on the books they have yet to promote from within. Corporate again. They can't get out of there own way.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Fair place to work great coworkers.
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 27, 2017
I've worked for the company 20yrs and found it a great place to work and grow. Fair and knowledgeable staff and upper management. Great benefits and compensation.
Pros
Overtime and paid holidays
Cons
No vision insurance.
Horrible Management/Their way or the Highway
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNNovember 26, 2017
Working for Universal was ridiculous. There is a constant lack of advancement, no accountability, and you are just a number. Management does not care.
Pros
Cons
Work/home life balance, No continuous improvement, management is unprofessional

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Logistics Holdings Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8