Universal Music Group

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

Universal Music Group Employee Reviews

Temporary Assignment
FREELANCE REFERENCE SONGWRITING (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 18, 2019
Though it was an assignment, It was a great experience. I was a reference songwriter while attending Full Sail University. It was for an idea to pitch a song for an artist.
In the right department, a good place to work
Associate Director - Global Content Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 15, 2019
If you're in the right dept/division (i.e.: digital, biz development, etc...) this is a great place to contribute to a company that's an industry leader.
Pros
Competitive pay, great benefits, etc...
Cons
Extremely large company
OK place
IT Sourcing and Contracts Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 11, 2019
Mostly doing two-three jobs simultaneously. Too much administration work at my level. In addition to doing IT Contracts, have to do vendor on-boarding, enter PO's, approve invoices.
Pros
Nice place to work.
Cons
No career path.
Professional and enjoyable set to work on
Key Mua (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 21, 2018
Very talented crew, and everyone involved knew what they were doing, so it made the entire process run very smooth. I definitely look forward to working with them again in the future.
Available for the first time in this order
Director Commercial Classics & Jazz (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 27, 2018
Universal Music Enterprises is the catalog exploitation division for Universal Music. They are focused on their goals. The chance to work with great music of the past is one of the benefits of working at UMe.
Great Place to Learn and Work
Digital Video Editor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 23, 2018
UMGN is a great place for interns to gain knowledge and experience of the music business industry! You make great connections, and great friends. Loved working at UMGN.
Busy and Hectic Workplace with Lots of Responsibilites
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAOctober 4, 2018
Working at Universal Music Group was a very interesting and informative experience. Throughout my workweek, I was required to process orders, claims, and most other customer inquiries. I was also responsible for manipulating and analyzing data sets using Excel. I learned a lot while working with Universal Music Group. My Excel skills became stronger through the use of HLOOKUPS and Pivot Tables, and my communication skills over the phone increased as well. The management at Universal Music Group was rather cut-throat, and I felt as if I was very expandable to the company. The overall workplace environment at Universal Music Group was quiet and fast paced, but our team collaborated throughout the day and helped one another when needed. The hardest part about working at Universal was the long, stressful days associated with the job. I worked 10 hours everyday, and still had unfinished work at the end of each day, making the job very stressful.
Pros
Great team, educational position
Cons
Long hours, stressful work environment, low pay, no benefits
work experience was great
Recording Engineer & Producer (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 23, 2018
The work environment helped with my day to day business.You will be capable of doing a lot more in the field with just a little time on the job.The opportunity to gain more resources is great.
Pros
great contacts
Cons
fast pace
productive
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2018
very laid back job i love working with good people and helping the right ones get to be successful and make things very right i would love to work back with universal again
Pros
lunches
Cons
short breaks
UMG review summary
Senior Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46268September 8, 2018
Great place to work. Very challenging job atmosphere with great benefits and awesome management structure. I handled inventory for the largest music company in the world and it was very rewarding!
Friendly environment, with lots of room to grow and learn from your peers.
Copyright Analyst (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAAugust 17, 2018
A typical day at Universal was very pleasant. We had very nice work stations where we could perform our jobs comfortably and efficiently. Everyone got along very well with one another
in a very friendly environment. We had very nice lunch areas with perks such as Starbucks coffee and soft drinks for everyone. And our Conference Rooms were great. We had many of them through the suite, varying in size and technology to meet every need. I enjoyed working there very much and had the opportunity to meet great people.
Pros
Great Benefits.
Good job
Royalty Analyst (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAAugust 15, 2018
Interesting to work for it, a typical day at work is full of activities to set up accounts in the systems of the company according wit Inter Company Licence Agreements
Pros
Good job
Universal
V.P. Of Associated Labels (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 23, 2018
worked several positions plenty of opportunity for growth in digital and multimedia. Management was average compared to other companies I had worked for.
Pros
shows, additional travel
Cons
Place to learn about the music business
Financial Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJuly 22, 2018
You learn a lot about music working here. The work is fairly intense (cyclical), a lot is expected from you. No real benefits (free tickets etc) come with working in Finance.
Musicians/Artist finds the Business to be very difficult
Musician (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 1, 2018
As an Artist Universal Music Group found it hard to place me in any one Genre. The Music Industry is very difficult and then my Manager passed away..
Pros
Cons
It was a not very profitable struggle.
Productive Fun Work Space
Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2018
Management was great while I was at UMG. The workspace was fun, but also allowed productive work to happen. The hardest part was the work life balance. There are frequently events after work, not required, depending on your position. It becomes hard to separate work from fun sometimes.

Not the best paid job, but definitely a more fun job.
Pros
Free food, Concerts
Cons
Minimal Lunch Break, Long work hours, low pay
Fun place to work, fast pace environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Santa, IDJune 21, 2018
I enjoyed ,meeting and greeting people. arranging meetings and fulfilling all guests needs and desires. Obtained greatTeam solution skills. Learned how to adjust to different work personalities.
Pros
discounts
Cons
demanding and competitive
Help Desk Analyst
Desktop Support/Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Studio City, CAJune 5, 2018
Call center of 12 agents, took incoming calls from Artist and professional musicians, setup special network access for the same clients.

I got great Macintosh experience as I was totally Microsoft support person.

WorkPlace Culture seemed to be a bit lonely at times when I worked nd shifts.

Hardest part of the job was leaving. I got divorced and had to reloate. I'd still be there.
Pros
Fortune 500 company that rewards their employees.
Cons
Its location is on top of a sink hole. The structure is at risk.
Great company
Voice & Accent Coach (Former Employee) –  ParisMay 7, 2018
As all know, Universal Music is a major company. I enjoyed working with them for the time of my contact. I was employed as a voice coach consultant and was pleased by the professionalism I encountered.
Typical record company
National Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 16, 2018
It was good when people were actually buying music, then that stopped and the culture changed. Perks decreased, far too many over paid executives operating on an old mind set.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Music Group. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight