Universal Orlando Resort Employee Reviews

Nice environment with confusing management
Service Food & Beverage Team Member (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 15, 2019
The overall work environment is enjoyable, but there is a lot of miscommunication between management, upper management, and regular employees. Upper management makes choices without getting the full grasp of the work situation and with limited views for the future.
Pros
Comp tickets, lunch vouchers, discounts
Cons
High workload, confusing management, low wages
Great benefits with room to grow within
Park Services (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 10, 2019
On top of the free tickets, on site wardrobe, team member grills, first aid, and competitive pay Universal often has other gifts. Team member services is always throwing some kind of event, from Party Patrol setting up booths throughout team member areas with free merchandise to Health Services hosting events like free mammograms or skin screenings. Our on site doctor is only $10 with insurance and the pharmacy is in the same building. If your work requires safety shoes Universal gives you a comp pair each year, you earn your PTO, and get more Vacation hours with every year you work. At 10 years I have 120 hours vacation on my anniversary. Universal also has free movie screenings for Team Members, after closing events, free access to every park and Halloween Horror Nights with TM ID and rewards programs for giving outstanding service.
Fun place to work
Payroll Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 10, 2019
Very busy but fun place to work. Always changing. You can always escape for a few minutes and go out into the park. It has been many years since I worked there so I am sure there have been changes.
Associate Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 4, 2019
I have been with the company for over a decade in multiple roles and love the employee-first culture they have developed. There are enrichment activities, fantastic career-support services, discounts, employee events, benefits, free tickets for friends and family, and the list goes on. There is an emphasis placed on career development and they tend to promote from within the company, which is great. My only issue is that as you promote through the company, pay does not necessarily match what the role requires and job descriptions can sometimes get a bit hazy, meaning you're doing work that is outside the scope of your description. I don't want that to take away from how much I love this company though. Even with those 'negative' aspects, the company is constantly evaluating how their team members feel about their jobs, work environment, culture, etc. and attempts to rectify it. I would recommend working for this company to ANYONE.
Security Team
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 3, 2019
The team was organized and worked like a well oiled machine. Management listens to every bit of feedback that is given, they acknowledge accomplishments achieved by team members. While working with security, there is a bit of a sexist culture within the lower ranking officers, but if reported management has a no tolerance policy for it.
They don't care about you
Seasonal Employee (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 2, 2019
I worked over nights, they didn't listen to anything I had to say to them. They promoted lazy and friend and family of the managers to leads and trainers, so they won't have to do any real work.
They fired those would complaint and tried to get manager to work and when I went to HR to file anything about. They said it was pointless because they couldn't do anything.
Pros
if you lazy they will promote you, free meals on your birthday
Cons
poor managers, lazy coworkers. not living wage
Work environment not professional
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 31, 2019
I worked in universal for 5 years the raise between does 5 years didn’t reach $2.00. Went through 3 managers and the last one was the worst in front of you would tell you something and behind your back was something else. Some speacial people would be sleeping in the shop while others really earn their pay. Talk about no sleeping policy didn’t work for certain people. Also, the management just play favoritism and forget politics I can write a book about this. Enough said benifits are great just the whole work environment is not that great. They don’t give you a chance to move up you have suck up to people and know certain people. I left Universal and lest than 2 years I have become a manager and doubled my pay. Now I actually have people that listen and work together. Be very careful in in your choices.
Benefits
Cons
Everything from management on down
You will love this job
Security Officer & Lead (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 29, 2019
I loved working at universal orlando I was doing security with the xray and guest servce, and helping guest have a good time. Awsuer alot of questions
Pros
Discounts
Glad I'm gone
Project Manager/Scrum Master (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 28, 2019
Easily the most chaotic environment I've ever worked, in more than 20 years IT/technical shops.

Management seems to equate change (which it does not manage) with movement.
Pros
Committed individuals
Cons
Poor management
Great benefits, fun job, atrocious management
FL (Current Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 22, 2019
I recommend.Great benefits, must be self starter.
Hard work, but the looks on guests faces make working here worth it. Positive attitude always helps, never hinders.
attractions attendant
ATTRACTIONS ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 21, 2019
duties included, maintaining a high level of professionality under strenuous working conditions, bilingual translation, safety monitoring and organization. Advised supervisors of improved safety suggestions as well as efficient organization of common work areas
Fun
Attractions Attendant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 21, 2019
It was so much fun working for Universal. I love how pro-team members they are and how they worry about them. I think it's awesome that they like to keep their team happy in order to have happy guests.
I would work there again in a heart beat if they offered Full time jobs as starters and better pay, but overall it's such a great company to work at!
Job of a lifetime!
Food and Beverage Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 20, 2019
I loved the whole environment of Universal Studios Orlando when I was there and it is something that I think it is something every company should strive towards. They make you feel valued and appreciated on all accounts and have amazing programs to boost employee production and service. These programs benefit both the employee and the company. They believe strongly in the idea that happy employees make for a successful company, and I felt that this was certainly being established as a cornerstone for the company. I certainly would be interested in a long term career here after I graduate college.
Pros
Meal vouchers, ability to transfer departments, ability to move up the ranks
Cons
Florida is hot
no hours
Seasonal Line cook (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 19, 2019
its a decent company to work for but they don't offer a lot of hours and they promise a lot of advances but never deliver on such.... pay is mediocre at best...
deceiving theme park culutre & perks , really fool you.
Shuttle Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 19, 2019
Universal is a horrible place to work. Your eyes and ears are shut tight if you think its a great place to work, you likely don't know what abuse.is. All the negative reviews you read are accurate and true. In a short period of time you will discover this if you are not blinded by the perks.

I Love to play in theme parks and perks can be great but I won't let perks overrule my reasoning and a fair sense of justice and view of what humanitarian behaviors are.

I'll never work for Universal again in any capacity. There are too many warped and fresh out of school leaderships. I strongly recommend you DON'T work for Universal.

I'm currently with a much better company with much better pay for my credentials. Their mangerial staff are inciteful, balanced and listen to all suggestions and work with all levels of employees with respect, showing REAL appreciation. Unlike Universal there is so much potential for advancement and growth without
an academic degree in higher education.

There are many better companies to work for.
Find time to search beyond Universal.
Pros
perks
Cons
abundant hypocrisy, deceptive, corrupt, unkind, difficult, unfair
Cut Throat. They Don't Care About Anyone. Management Sucks
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 16, 2019
They quite frankly do not care about anyone. People are left in the extreme heat without shelter and bathroom breaks to the point where security officers have wet themselves and gotten bladder infections. We have been at a boat dock post freezing to death because the heater did not work but, they wheeled out a heater to keep their precious silver palm trees from dying.
You can bust your butt and go above and beyond thinking you can advance or something. Then it comes time for your annual review and they give you a 22 cent raise. That hardly motivates you to work hard or even want to stay for that matter. Then they try to give you stupid little perks like movie tickets for your birthday. A free turkey for Thanksgiving etc. I would rather be paid enough to go buy my own turkey. I don't need their charity. I was so insulted by their fake generosity I threw away the tickets and never took a turkey from them. This is how they make team members feel in general.
They do not have a culture of seniority. You can be there five years and the person standing next to you starts at a higher rate than you. The culture they have created is one of fear, intimidation and retaliation. If they paint a target on you back you will be written up for the smallest infraction. Forget about standing up for your self because if you go to HR due to unsafe or unhealthy working conditions you are done for and they will come right out and tell you.
The guests can and will behave however they want without fear. They will spit on you, curse at you, shove and even strike you and Universal WILL NOT back you
  more... up. As a matter of fact they will even go as far as to comp the guests for their "inconvenience". That's right, they are rewarded for bad behavior. Management will do or say anything to protect their precious guests. Mangers and supervisors will lie right in front of you and make you the bad guy. Quite frankly management would not know what the truth is if it jumped up and bit them in the butt.
So if you are a glutton for punishment then look no further, You have found a home at Universal.
Pros
None to speak of
Cons
All of the above.
Didn’t want to train me right
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 13, 2019
They wanted to throw me into a cook position did not want to train me and when I got hurt because I wasn’t trained correctly didn’t want to hear the fact that I got hurt and continuously kept putting me in the same situation that got me hurt in the first place
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No health insurance
Management Sucks
Senior Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 12, 2019
It all depends on where you work. Management can be awful in some locations and great in others. Advancement can also be difficult because it's based on favoritism sometimes and not actual work ethic. If someone doesn't like you, it will stunt your development for up to years. Where as, if someone does like you, you can be promoted within 3 months. That makes working here incredibly difficult.
Pros
Easy to learn
Cons
Short breaks, bad management
Theme park work
Busser/Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 11, 2019
Typical theme park work. Crazy busy. high expectations. Wasn't really a bad job. Some good times and decent opportunities to try different things around the park in different locations.
awesome work enviorment and employee apreciation
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 11, 2019
- bartending, interacting with customers, training new barbacks to company policies, fun environment to work with lots of friendly employees

- good opportunities for employee growth
Pros
paid lunches and good vaction time
Cons
competetive work space figthing for hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Orlando Resort. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight