UNIVERSAL STAINLESS & ALLOY PRODUCTS Employee Reviews

Horrible
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Bridgeville, PAJuly 25, 2018
This is by far the worse place I ever worked. You work 12 hours a day 7 days a week for chump change. Management has no clue what they are doing. Company rips you off on profit sharing constantly. You’ll have no life whatsoever. The only people working there are felons. It’s absolutely rediculous. That place was the worse mistake I ever made. They’ll hire anyone off the street regardless of that persons work ethics. The people in charge there are completely brainless. It’s like nobody knows what’s going on. They don’t promote within the company so whatever job you get is what you’ll be doing for life. Stay FAR FAR AWAY!!
Pros
Zero
Cons
Too many to list
Not worth it
Entry driver. Level 2 (Current Employee) –  BridgevilleNovember 11, 2018
This place is cutthroat. Don’t call off. Even with a doctor excuse the will terminate you. The probation period is ridiculous. Only 48 hours a week count towards your 1020 probation period even if you work 84 hours a week. They expect you to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week and act like you should be thankful that you have a job there.
Cons
I will be providing a neutral review
Utlity (Former Employee) –  Titusville, PAOctober 9, 2018
I will bw once again be giving a neutral response in this review. I believe that any review even a positive one could be misintereted remember employers read these sites as well.
A steel company that has little drive.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bridgeville, PADecember 30, 2017
The company has little drive to become world class. The company is not serious about quality. There was no quality department. Many upper managers are there to ride out their careers until retirement. Nonexistent matching of 401k and high hourly turn over because of a poor contract
Horrific!
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Bridgeville, PASeptember 25, 2017
This place is terrible. They micromanage everything. You work 12 hours a day seven days a week. The pay is terrible! This mill is $6 below the national average on pay! Our union president is a pedophile and is pictured on megans law. As for the union, well its nonexistent due to our contract that has "company convenience" which pretty much means our union can't do jack and the company can do whatever it wants. We can't even strike because of our contract! This is the worst company you can ever work for. Its a dead end job with zero promotions. Yes that's right. They do not promote within. 45cents a year is the raise you get. They only can get convicts to work here because no normal person would. Don't waste your time here.
Risky Employment
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bridgeville, PAMay 2, 2017
The work is challenging and most of the employees and staff are good to work with. Don't expect any rewards for doing a good job - monetary or a pat on the back. There is very high criticism for the smallest mistake and job security is non-existent. The business is very much micro-managed. The benefits are average with no additional perks.
Pros
Large variety of work to get involved in and test your skills
Cons
Micro-managers
Poorly Managed
Maintenance Manager USAP (Former Employee) –  Bridgeville, PAJanuary 7, 2018
The company has been bleeding mone and has struggled to make any type of profit. The executive management team has been reduced through forced resignation and voluntary resignation.
Pros
Hard working employees
Cons
Management worked for big bonuses and not the health of the company
Employees could work 24x7 and it still wouldn't be enough to satisfy this company.
Manager of Technology & Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Titusville, PAMarch 25, 2013
Sprint from the start to the finish of each day with little time to plan. Poor utilization of human assets. I've learned that the development of people and strategic team building is key to success. Small staff of entrenched employees but very good at what they do. The most difficult part of the job is balancing crisis management. The most enjoyable part of my current job is never running out of challenges and serving a demanding customer base. Interfacing with customers in order to meet their various needs is very rewarding.
Pros
good health benifits
Cons
so much more could be accomplished with better utilization of resources.
Enjoyable place to work
Office Worker (Current Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYJuly 29, 2017
Relaxed atmosphere while still being competitive. The CEO has a clear vision on the future of the company which is shared by all office workers. Excellent place to work.
Fast paced with little direction
Sales (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYAugust 6, 2013
The company seems fairly unstable as a whole with little direction in what its complete goal it. The management and culture is very set in its ways with the "we have done it this way for 30 years" mind set. Times change. Prices, production, and equipment must change with time to stay competitive in the current market place and the company is afraid to spend money where needed to make money in the long run.
Cons
low base salery, breaks, office culture
Production
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Bridgeville, PAAugust 28, 2017
This company has no care for your well being of health and family. They expect you to work seven days a week twelve hour days with no days off. or try to terminated you
Pros
No Pros about the company
Cons
management will find any way to terminate or not give you a day off
Excellent Job
Remelt Operator (Former Employee) –  Bridgeville, PAAugust 6, 2014
I first started as a utility worker grinding, welding, making slag, etc after couple months moved up to helper position where I did more welding and helping the operator, after several months I started to train as operator and eventually moved in that position. It was an enjoyable experience.
Pros
The rotating shifts and hours
Cons
Lies, extremely low pay, unprofessional, worthless
"They don't know" (Former Employee) –  Bridgeville, PAJanuary 21, 2016
When you are told by the head of HR you are hired and she tells you when and where to go for your physical and drug testing you would assume they would want you to know what position you are being hired for, correct? When you ask her and her response is "We don't know", then you ask "When will you know?" and her response is "Probably before you start"...well, that is red flag of her/their ignorance and attitude of what you will have to deal with there. Other than her and Universal Stainless, what company hires people without telling them what they are being hired for? What person would take a job with no clue as to what they will be doing? Save your time and gas money, don't waste a minute on that place. For $12 an hour to do steel mill work, and that's for any position in the plant, that should make you think...they don't tell you how much they pay until you go there, interview and take their tests. You will also be taken on a tour of the plant, steel toe boots are mandatory, another thing she, the head of HR, never told me and I didn't find out until the supervisor came to take me on the tour. You will also work two weeks on and two weeks off, 12 hour shift work, so there's some helpful info for everyone if you decide to risk it.
Pros
I got to waste some of my gas and about an 1 1/2 hours of my time.
Cons
Ignorance, lies, stupidity, dangerous work for very low pay
Excellent to work for
Lab Technician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bridgeville, PADecember 26, 2015
Each day is challenging. I have the trust of my supervisor. Always learning something new. They give me opportunity to try at different aspects in the mill.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNIVERSAL STAINLESS & ALLOY PRODUCTS. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5