Universal Weather and Aviation, Inc. Employee Reviews

Good Job
Sr. Cyber Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2019
Its is in the middle of transitioning from a mom and pop to an enterprise company. They have their growing pains but are trying to get on the right track.
Pros
Good family oriented company
Cons
They do not provide continued education.
Very open and friendly workplace.
Human Resource Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2019
I learned a lot from Universal, and the environment there is very friendly. The other employees were very nice, and the company likes to make sure that they do not get overworked or too stressed at the office.
Pros
People, Ping-Pong Table, Company Events
Average job in the aviation industry with little career path
Senior Flight Planner (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2019
Universal is a perfectly fine place of employment for people with no previous experience or skills in the private aviation industry. However after a couple of years depending on the department you're in or education you've earned over that time, you might find your career options wanting. It's a good place to get started but not a place to stay longer than needed. Very little career advancement.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Non-compete agreement locks you down to the company.
Never work here.
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, TXJanuary 27, 2019
Management is awful.

Training is non existent

Lies are plentiful

Egos are tooo many and staff is low skilled but good at hiding.

Projects never complete and rotation is massive here.
Pros
Parking
Cons
Too many to list.
Hotel Accommodations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 3, 2019
Me and dozens others were laid off, I knew months prior as we got a new manager and everyone was either moved or laid off or quit that was like me in color. Mostly his department he would recommend they go to other departments then replace them with other color like him. Everything else was wonderful long as you dont go to the hotel department.
Pros
Pay, Pto 401k
Cons
Manager was not having us, wanted more like him.
Would not recommend
Mission Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2018
Would not recommend if you want to advance. Once in a position, you are stuck there. Do not expect any promotions until you have worked there for 5+ years either.
Few growing opportunities
4. Some members of management team may be micromanagers
5. Lots of untapped opportunity
Face to face culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Clear Lake, TXAugust 15, 2018
Universal provides a unique face-to-face culture within its Global Headquarters. Most meetings are face to face, and when you need someone's help, you wander over to their desk and ask them... it is not company culture to schedule tons of meetings to get things done - but to get them done!
Family is also important to Universal - they value you as a person, not just as an employee, hence what happens to you outside the office is as important as what happens inside.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Continues to "do it this way because we have always done it this way"
No Opportunity for Advancement
Mission Advisor & Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2018
Low starting salary and no room to advance. Long training period for new hires. Very little work life balance due to the shift work schedule. High turnover rate.
Leadership is lacking.
Director, Global Partnership Management (GPM) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 13, 2018
Great place to work when times were good. As the company continues to struggle financially, employees are on edge about keeping their jobs. Leadership is lacking,
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Poor leadership
Productive and great fun workplace environment
Global Regulatory Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2018
Friendly work environment and staff members that seen to get along great. Good benefits. Work shifts can sometimes be a challenge. Can be hectic at times but its's part of the job 24/7 operation.
Pros
Definitely a great place to advance and great benefits.
Cons
Can be hectic with a 24/7 operation
Flight planning management
Master, Flight planning specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 14, 2018
At Universal Weather and Aviation Inc., it does not matter how hard you work, work experience or your knowledge in aviation. The only thing that matters at Universal is if you get along with Management. You can make all the mistakes in flight planning and management will just turn their eyes!!!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Worst Management team to work for
N/a
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 3, 2018
Company is great. Company has great assistance program for families in need. Long work hours. Company is limited on career advancement. Culture is friendly.
Pros
Company has great assistance program for families in need
Cons
Healthcare
Good company to work for.
Associate Client Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2018
I found the culture and the environment of the company to be a positive one - although some people around me, did not share in that opinion. I am a positive person and rarely let others negativity affect me. Universal was a good company to work for. Plenty of advancement and job opportunities. I would work for them again, in the future, should employment come available in Accounting.
Pros
Job advancement/pay was competitive with companies in same field.
Cons
Company direction was questioned at times.
Horrible
anonymous (Current Employee) –  Houston,TXMarch 12, 2018
a typical day at work is strees stress, oh and morr stress. No one knows what they are doing here. Management is the good ole boy culture,so good luck on ever advancing
Company Headed in the Right Direction
Talent Acquisition Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 28, 2018
I work in a support department and genuinely feel appreciated and valued by my managers. We have great health insurance and also access to discounts with many different retailers, fitness studios, tickets for various events, travel (car rentals, hotels, flights, etc.), insurance companies (auto, home, pet), wellness programs. The Senior Management team that I have interacted with have been pleasant and I truly believe they are taking the company in the right direction.
Pros
Family like culture, Pto, robust training
Cons
24/7 operations
One of the worst places to work
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 6, 2018
Management is a joke at best and the so-called upper management is an verbal abusive agitator and mostly angry and upset all the time,

The time spent there was a waste of time to me and my skill set,

Key stuff you should know going in.
They put you through a hard time just to get the equipment you need to do your job.

Management example:
I also have not seen a meeting that the Upper comes in and that Upper does not starts his anger trip or poor joke behavior and no one knows if he is serious or just playing;

It is not worth the risk to guess his mood, it is not worth it as in the mood just stay quite, and his insults are always about what he cannot understand and mostly are uncalled for.

Overall
Poor Management and poor structure!

The only enjoyable part was when I left.
Pros
When you leave it fast and quite
Cons
Management, anything you need to do your job.
Tempaorary assignment for conversion to new accounting system
Billing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 30, 2018
Temporary assignment can't really comment other than the atmosphere was ok. and most employees where friendly. Conversion was our goal as we were hired to help them convert to a new accounting system. Hours were good and I received overtime for awhile. The position does not hold any challenges which I am looking for. So I am continuing to look for that opportunity to come along.
Great people but the execs are a bit clueless
Financial Reporting (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2018
I love my department and job. The work is interesting and the deadlines reasonable. The expectations are high, but we all aim high together. Not all groups in the company are this good. The executive management can be impulsive. While there is a sense that they want to do whats best for their employees. There is also the sense they just want a new car.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
tiny bonuses
Beware of the Survivor Culture
Regulatory Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 28, 2017
Most people at Universal are overpaid for their experience but there is a survivor culture. If you aren't will to play the game it will be hard to advance. It can be extremely stressful. The company is having a hard time dealing with change.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Easy to lose your job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Universal Weather and Aviation, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Universal Weather and Aviation, Inc. Reviews by Location