Universal Wireless Employee Reviews

terrible company to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oconomowoc, WIJune 23, 2018
i worked for them for 3 years and it was absolutely dreadful. Every day I knew something would go wrong, and the upper management, particularly the district manager dirk, was extremely unprofessional.
Bad choices
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Maumelle, ARMay 9, 2018
Having been a Store Manager for this company, I felt like they constantly made bad decisions on location placement and employees. My District and Regional Managers at the time were "Buddy-Buddy" and did not listen to the other managers suggestions, complaints, or concerns.
Pros
hours
Cons
over-worked, under paid
Sales oriented environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MIApril 19, 2018
Universal wireless has a very extensive training program for both sales reps and managers. Universal is a great place to learn the ins and outs of the sales world. It is commission based so it gives the reps and managers the opportunity to make as much as they want.
Horrible store
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  West Bend, WIApril 2, 2018
I worked for the west bend location. The management had no idea what they were doing. The schedule would get done a day before the next week started so there was no planning ahead. I would give them the hours I could work and they could never seem to work around them. Wouldn't recommend anyone to this location.
Horrible management, you're worthless
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  West Bend, WIMarch 1, 2018
First off the positive...pay is decent and benifits are ok. Now for the bad...my store (west bend) was terribly understaffed, i was assistant manager and basically ran the entire store BY MYSELF for months....and they treated me like a hero....then they got staff....then the mentality changed instantly! ZERO TRAINING, and THEY HOLD YOU responsible for stuff that you NEVER recieved ANY training on! Simple office equipment needed to do your job was constantly broken....and of course Your fault too...ZERO support from upper management....plus you are required to cold call and HARASS customers to buy new products, upgrades..etc, and are even forced to stand off with customers for simple transactions like bill pays that dont require much personal info....If you want to feel like you are a bad employee every day and be talked down to by corporate DAILY, this is the job for you! Otherwise STAY AWAY!!!! This place is horrible!!
Pros
Decent comissions
Cons
The more comission you make the less hourly wage you make, AWFUL management
Love this job!
Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 7, 2018
Pay is awesome. Its based off of sales though so as long as you are putting in work its very generous pay structure. Theres def room for growth within the company if you are looking to manage.
Horrible pay, poor ethical standards
Retail Sales Consultant/ Operations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, MIFebruary 7, 2018
The base pay is only $5/ hour with the expectation that you will sell enough to meet their advertised pay rates. While it can be done, the means by which they want you to achieve these goals are less than honest. Regardless of the issue the DM always sides with management, even we their actions violate Sprint policy. Very unprofessional atmosphere, less than hospitable working conditions, poor leadership over all. The owner is fantastic but is kept out of the loop as far as the business practices in his stores.
Pros
Good money
Cons
The methods used to get sales, customer service
Great Place to Work!
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 29, 2018
A typical day at work for a manager would handling the day to day tasks that upper management emails you. Usually, it's a lot of emails and adjustments. Outside of busywork, I coach my employees how to sale, handle upset customers, and hit metrics.

I started as a rep and eventually became a manager for working hard and literally being one of the best sales individuals company wide. I learned that you get what you put in. This cannot be stressed enough.

Management - It varies. I had an absolutely rude boss when I started. They fired him. I also had a boss who liked to break policy and was a complete fraud. They fired him as well. I've also had bosses who were extremely caring and understanding. They wanted nothing to do except promote me and motivate me. Management is luck of the draw. The higher up you go, the better the people are who will take care of "bad bosses".

Workplace culture - It's pretty dynamic. You get different people from all sorts of backgrounds. Whether it's their first job, or they are a laid off engineer looking to for something in between. The camaraderie with those who are top sellers and who have been here awhile is absolutely great.

The hardest part of the job for being a store manager is training your team to hit all the metrics and how to be sales people. As a rep, it was hard for me to overcome objections if the customer didn't have coverage at their house.

The most enjoyable part of this job is watching how it transformed my life. I went from taking the bus to work to driving a sports car and have my own house. The money is real
  more... if you want it. You just gotta go get it.  less
Pros
Money is crazy good, uncapped commission, contests, prizes, free phones, discounted phone bill, good health insurance, easy job, you make more money than most, and selling the best deal in data
Cons
unpaid lunches, sometimes it's slow, upper management and back office have some disconnect
Terrible in store/upper management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIJanuary 8, 2018
Nothing is said by management that isn't rude or degrading. Absolutely TERRIBLE mangers. They expect you to be on call 7 days a week, 9am-8pm. They don't care if its your day off. If you're called, you best answer. If calls aren't responded to, management makes a number of off handed comments in a passive aggressive manner. You are constantly made to feel unimportant and easily replaced. The company often promises mileage but never follows through. Current store manger at Sheboygan location averages 1.5 employees a month that either quit or get fired. Multiple complains from many employees about in store management but yet HR/upper management ignore them all. I do NOT encourage anyone to start working here.
Possibly the second worst job of my life
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 7, 2017
Honestly I would be okay if I were paid more for what I actually had to do and endure on a day to day basis. Needs better incentives to encourage motivation
Cons
Pay Structure
It's a great place plus you make great money
Sales (Current Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 14, 2017
I loved working here and want to continue to work for sprint I just want to relocate to somewhere more fast paced and where it's really busy and people are great to work with
Pros
Great area
Cons
Really slow during the weekdays
Incentive Based corperation
Mobile Phone Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 1, 2017
A Typical day at work revolved around customer service, including things like troubleshooting their phones, going through plan analysis and sales calls to bring customers into the store.

Universal Wireless was a flexible company to work for and good for managing a balance between personal life, such as school commitments and working hours.

The major issue that I had was that the sales quota's were the same for full time and part time, giving little considerations due to slow days, or being scheduled less hours.

The hardest part of the job is in informing customers that another store made a promise to them and attempting to help get the customer what they were promised.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when you struggle with a customer but everything turns out and the hard work is rewarded.
Cons
Short Breaks, Quota's
it sucks
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 21, 2017
It was a fun place to work until a merger with VenAmerica, then they changed the pay rates to were your making next to nothing if your in a store that struggles.
Usually Pretty slow days.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 15, 2017
Typical Days Are Very Slow. But Its an amazing job to have. co-workers are nice, its very slow but in your down time you have alot of time to chill. its a wonderful
Pros
Chill Days
Cons
Rude Customers
Make sure you get everything in writing
Market Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 28, 2017
Don't trust this company to do what they promise. If you want to work there, get everything in writing, and expect to have to fight
for what you are promised.
Pros
Legacy Management were great people
Cons
New Management is classless
Fun place to be
Service and Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  MichiganJuly 11, 2017
Not too bad as a starter job. Work can be boring if there is no one coming in. Employees were nice and can get along well with others. Plus you get to tear apart phones and fix them.
Pros
Fixing things
Cons
pay
Very slow and boring place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, MIJune 27, 2017
It was a very slow paced job and not much to do in your down time. For the flow of the store the management expected more of you then could actually be done. The place is actually closed down now and I am not totally surprised. But as far as flexibility when it came to childcare they did a fantastic job.
Pros
discount on accessories
Cons
too slow of pace for me
Stressful and impossible to satsify
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 19, 2017
I enjoyed working with the public, some customers can be a little over the top but can be understood and have a pleasant experience before leaving. On the other hand the management at my level was unacceptable and would expect illegal operations to be done on a daily period. when you don't accept and explain your self you become a undesirable employee. I will not break labor laws or company policy's for any manager and will always keep my scruples. I will always back my staff and fight for their rights as well. This was not acceptable to the current District Manager so there was no way he was going to keep me around even if I was successful in my duties and goals.
Pros
work with good sales people and customers.
Cons
Had a DM that broke Laws and Policys
fun
Retail Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 11, 2017
fun cool place to work. the management is kinda unorganized. itnis something you can get passed though. Friendly environment. commission is nice and pay is good
What a joke
Wireless Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 25, 2017
Talk about a work place that leaves you high and dry. Managers are a joke, half of them dont even know how to do their job so they get the employees to do it for them. Oh, and pay? Pay structures change constantly and there is no guarantee for a raise. Worked there for eight months, no pay raise after i was promised a 6th month raise. Also the new employees who got hired on made more than a senior sales rep and i did. Training? Well look at it this way. New employees training new employees with little to no help from management who can barely work the computer systems. Also, commission? Wow, they have messed up literally all of my commision checks and the breakdowns are hardly if ever, right. They have a box that says "sprint non pay" thats money SPRINT doesnt pay YOU. So you are losing money while working for them. This job was a joke and i advise HIGHLY to stay far away from it unless you live with your parents.
Pros
Free accessories and fun staff
Cons
Unpaid lunches if you get them, bad management, messed up pay checks, bad hours, bad pay