University at Albany, State University of New York

University at Albany, State University of New York Employee Reviews

Not a safe place to work at
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 29, 2018
A very unwelcoming place to work with. No formal training for new Graduate Teaching Assistants. No suggestions were taken from the employees by the Supervisor.
Pros
Cons
No job security, Unfair evaluation
Job History at UAlbany
Recreational Manager (Current Employee) –  Physical Education BuildingMay 31, 2018
When I began working at the University as a lifeguard I didn't realize how involved I would become in the community. I met a lot of amazing people who helped me get through my four years of college. Everyone continuously supported the decisions I had to make when working in this environment and encouraged me to become a recreational manager.
Productive and organized workplace
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 25, 2018
Working with the university gave me the necessary tool to learn new skills as well as enhance my professional life. With the workplace being organized and having diligent coworkers, I knew I was bound to learn something new almost daily.
School of Social Welfare is a great place to work!
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 24, 2018
UAlbany's School of Social Welfare is filled with great staff and faculty who are eager to help students succeed. It is truly a great work environment!
Inspiring
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 23, 2018
I learned all different teaching styles and different ways to communicate with people in order to help them understand what they were learning. The most enjoyable part of the day is when a student finally understand something and their excitement that comes along with it
Huge Employer-Lots of Variety
Professional Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 23, 2018
Any one review for UAlbany would be difficult to capture all the diverse experiences and working conditions. I spent my time in an office setting located within an academic unit. Pay wasn't the best, but the collaboration among professionals was great.
My time as a part-time lecturer
Part-time Lecturer of course CRJ 202 (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 21, 2018
We went to the class with the students, which met two days out of the week (Monday and Wednesday). The class was an hour and a half, an consist of law, state and federal cases, and the Constitution. I learned how to assign homework and grade exams. My supervising professor was great. He answered all my questions and helped me through the grading process.There was a good workplace culture, and my hiring supervisor was excellent as well. Hardest part of my job was explaining to a student why they did not score well on an assignment or exam. They look at you with defeat in their eyes- it is very saddening.
Fun research and a great place to learn
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 16, 2018
As it was student assistant researcher position, the job was well. The hours were relatively minimum, and when you got to the job it was a very collaborative work environment. I learned a lot which is very applicable to possible future careers.
Pros
Like taking another class yet getting paid to do so
Cons
Short hours so not much money is to be made
na
Executive Assistant to the President (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 4, 2018
Fast paced environment and great place to make connections, best part is being able to advocate for others. Hardest part is you are unable to make everyone happy but this job is rewarding
The job was not so fun and the pay was very little.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 21, 2018
The job experience there was not so great our pay was very low not only that it wasn't a real job it was like a gig.People that I worked with were pretty rude and racist to me and family members that worked there. No equal respect was there nor treatment wasn't fear with any of us.
Pros
Nothing free was given at that job as well.
Cons
It was not that much breaks there.

Want to know more about University at Albany, State University of New York?

Ask a question
experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 15, 2018
Being a student here has really opened allot of opportunities for me and has allowed me to learn so much. Being able to see different aspects of things and being able to learn off other people has been amazing as well as doing community service
Pros
opportunities, community service
Great
ITS Help Desk Consultant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 14, 2018
Very Flexible Work Hours. Management is extremely accommodating and understanding. Expects to portray yourself in the most professional manner possible.
absolutely amazing management
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 13, 2018
I worked as a math tutor while I was in graduate school for my masters in mathematics. I tutored for EOP, Disabilities Center, Athletics Program, and Math Department. Everyone was so kind. I myself have a disability and they were always so kind and understanding of it I never felt uncomfortable. The pay isn’t huge but working as a student I wouldn’t expect it to be. However each department does pay differently amounts. There is always someone there to help with anything. The balance between work and school was perfect. I am now an independent contractor for private tutoring with the math department because I get paid a lot more and I graduated.
Pros
Management, time management, environment
Cons
Pay
its okay
Student (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 9, 2018
It is a pretty good school. It prepares me well. I'm kinda trapping out, kinda doing work. It's a pretty good mix of things. It set me up well for my degree.
Enjoyed my time here
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 5, 2018
As a graduate assistant the hours are flexible and they work very well with your class schedule and other duties to make sure that everything is getting done, but that you are also on top of your academics
Family oriented
Volunteer Track and Field (Throws) Coach (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2018
Family-oriented university with support from coaching staff. They put student welfare above all else. They invest in a diverse student body. They emphasize academics before athletics.
State job,
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 27, 2018
State jobs in a limited employment environment, you want the job department funding in cut each semester. Work based on need of department and Professors you directly work with and how well you get along. Worked with head of Department of Special projects and enjoyed it, given full responsibility for assignment.
Life as an intern
Strength and Conditioning Intern (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 23, 2018
I was an intern for athletics at university at Albany. It was a valuable experience I learned about a division 1 athletics program. At that level its really vital to put the athletes first. Everything we did caters to the athletes. As an unpaid intern, I worked about 12 hours a day. It was really tough, but it only proved how hard my work ethic is. Workplace culture was great. the faculty welcomed me and made me feel as one. Overall it was a valuable learning experience that I can relate to any job I get in the future.
Student Centered complex
Mentorship Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 22, 2018
Very helpful counselors willing to assist and help any student to better themselves. They gave opportunity to those that wouldn't have had if not for the program.
Data Entry Management Associate (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 19, 2018
I enjoy working with the development team at UAlbany. Everyone brings their best so it requires a hard work and also being constantly in touch with our directors to make sure what we are booking in the system(Donation Transactions) reaches our donors wishes.
Pros
Good benefits like healthcare.
Cons
Short lunch break.