University at Albany Employee Reviews

Fun research and a great place to learn
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 16, 2018
As it was student assistant researcher position, the job was well. The hours were relatively minimum, and when you got to the job it was a very collaborative work environment. I learned a lot which is very applicable to possible future careers.
Pros
Like taking another class yet getting paid to do so
Cons
Short hours so not much money is to be made
absolutely amazing management
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 13, 2018
I worked as a math tutor while I was in graduate school for my masters in mathematics. I tutored for EOP, Disabilities Center, Athletics Program, and Math Department. Everyone was so kind. I myself have a disability and they were always so kind and understanding of it I never felt uncomfortable. The pay isn’t huge but working as a student I wouldn’t expect it to be. However each department does pay differently amounts. There is always someone there to help with anything. The balance between work and school was perfect. I am now an independent contractor for private tutoring with the math department because I get paid a lot more and I graduated.
Pros
Management, time management, environment
Cons
Pay
its okay
Student (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 9, 2018
It is a pretty good school. It prepares me well. I'm kinda trapping out, kinda doing work. It's a pretty good mix of things. It set me up well for my degree.
Family oriented
Volunteer Track and Field (Throws) Coach (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2018
Family-oriented university with support from coaching staff. They put student welfare above all else. They invest in a diverse student body. They emphasize academics before athletics.
Life as an intern
Strength and Conditioning Intern (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 23, 2018
I was an intern for athletics at university at Albany. It was a valuable experience I learned about a division 1 athletics program. At that level its really vital to put the athletes first. Everything we did caters to the athletes. As an unpaid intern, I worked about 12 hours a day. It was really tough, but it only proved how hard my work ethic is. Workplace culture was great. the faculty welcomed me and made me feel as one. Overall it was a valuable learning experience that I can relate to any job I get in the future.
Great Work Place
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 7, 2018
•Fun Work Space
•Big Kitchen
•Great Team Work
•Manager Was New But She Was Great
•Help Me With Learning Different Stations They Had
(Salad Station, Cold Station, Hot Station, And Cafe Line)
Pros
Free Food, Benefits, Holiday Pay
Cons
Short Breaks
Great Place to Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 6, 2018
I enjoy working there. I have learned a lot that I will take with me to my new career. Everyone is very nice and there are a lot of different ways you can give back to the community.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 15, 2018
Meeting new people everyday was an enjoyable experience,

Dealt with students and residents with everyday issues,

Had to become a resource for students and residents.
A collaborative environment
Provost's Fellow (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 28, 2017
This campus offers many amazing faculty and staff resources. You can find an expert in anything you are looking for no matter what it is. A very collaborative environment leads to the development of some great projects.
you can be productive
Residence Hall Director (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 20, 2017
There are a lot of free course that you can learn from and become a better candidate for a new job because of your increase skills. things are relatively close for it being a university.
University at Albany
Computer Lab Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 15, 2017
Lovely environment. Students often came to this lab with the mindset of excelling in school. Most of the students who used this lab were serious about their school work.
Hard to advance
Resident Director (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 4, 2017
Development opportunities in this area are not offered. Lack of support from the administration. Asking for development opportunities just means more work.
Pros
free apartment
Cons
long hours, not enough pay.
Great Atmosphere
Director - GSCD (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 2, 2017
The work environment was amazing. Everyone was very welcoming and willing to assist if the opportunity came up. Very well balanced, not too fast paced or slow.
graduate assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 22, 2017
I have been involved in research work since past three years of my education using software like Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) along with using MS excel for reporting statistical results. I interned at New York State’s Department of Civil Service where I learnt about nuances of conducting a job task analysis while keeping track of over 500 research participants. Also, I worked as a graduate assistant wherein my tasks lead me to create test items for a certification exam.
quick paced
Usher (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 19, 2017
it was quick paced so everything happened fast especially when it was raining and we had to work the fields especially without proper garments provided by the employer.
Fun and exciting environment
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 17, 2017
A typical day consisted of visiting student organizations, hosting office hours for students, and planning and conducting on-campus initiative to involve students and community members alike.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Lack of advancement
Supportive environment with plenty of perks
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 13, 2017
Good place to work fun, hard to advance due to state regs. Lots of opportunity to get to know coworkers and activities outside of work as well as benefits to the job.
University at Albany - Tour Guide
Campus Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 22, 2017
A typical day at work would mostly include Campus Tours. If there were no tours going on, we would fill in inquiry cards onto our computer system or help with anything else Admissions Counselors needed. A great environment for students.
Pros
Works with class schedule, networking advantages
Cons
N/a
Good place to learn
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2017
You have to be self motivated to learn new technologies and should have problem solving skills. Its a free work life balanced, But salary is not great.
Pros
Work Environment
Cons
salary
Fun workplace
Game Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 24, 2017
Supervising the game room at the quad I resided in at University at Albany was a fun job. Most of the students understood not to damage any of the equipments and they were always respectful. Me working there kept the game room open at certain hours that others could not keep open. This provided the students the relief they needed for the day and the opportunity to socialize. The hardest part of the job was closing the game room. The students always wanted it open longer but I was given a set schedule. Getting to socialize with every kind of student was the most enjoyable part of the job. This game room was the main place in the quad where everyone's differences were celebrated. They often brought their own games to share with others.
Pros
Socializing