University Corporation for Atmospheric Research

University Corporation for Atmospheric Research Employee Reviews

Cool Place to Work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 17, 2018
Loved this place. The work and people is awesome here. I would recommend this place to everyone. Fun place with interesting people and work envioroment.
Pros
People
Cons
not much
Great place to work that's changing
N/A (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 1, 2018
It was a terrific place to work for many years but is less well managed than in the past. Still it provide great opportunities. Good overall culture with talented people.
UCAR is a government agency associated with NOAA
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 30, 2017
Internship doing exactly what I wanted. Weather balloon launches, weather station calibration. Data analysis. Got to hang out in the woods. Paid compensation.
Pros
doing Science
Cons
not really a job
Working to support scientific projects and collaboration
Accountng Support III (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CO 80301August 28, 2017
I love this job but am part of a RIS. My last day is 9-30-17. It has been truly exciting to support our scientists and work with highly motivated individuals.
Pros
Excellent employee benefits
Non-Science Position at Scientific Organization = Warning
Food Service Generalist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 7, 2017
As a non-scientist laborer in a scientific organization you can expect to be tolerated but not compensated or appreciated. Truthfully, there are thousands of people who can do the work you do here compared to few who can do actual science, and this organization exists to do scientific research.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Hectic environment and management ineptitude
Educational, fun, interesting, good people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 4, 2017
I enjoyed my time working for UCAR/NCAR the people working there are great people and do great research work. I felt as if I left my family behind as, I worked there for such a long time. Most every day was a good day, I loved going in to work, seeing and knowing the people working there for such a long time and missed very little time. I learnt about diversity, climate change and some of the good research they do in regards to tornado's, dung beetle, west Niles & weather. I had the privilege of getting to know a few of the scientist. We lost some really good people higher up in management due to funds cut, retirement & layoffs. I was one of the people left with the most knowledge of our front desk services & all other co-workers and management came in from outside UCAR, this made things a little difficult for me and it was time to move on. The culture was great! for a long time we were very diverse, not sure how diverse the culture is now. Hardest part of the job was keeping up during times we had new hires, visitors or special projects. The most enjoyable part of the job was customer service, helping people with their needs, finding requested information, answering questions or giving directions.
Pros
Spring fling, Christmas parties, good benifits, good free food, beer, wine & altenative transportaion, shuttle services, good people
Cons
Management changes, funding cuts, lots of good people moving on
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 7, 2017
served breakfast and lunch with special breaks and cattering on and off site often with two different places for lunch service main and a satalite ordering menu planning costomer service
Great place
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 29, 2016
Really good place to work, nice people, very professional. Passionate people.

It was very laid back, just as long as you were completing tasks on time and not wasting time
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
Really far
Best employer in Boulder
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 9, 2016
Working at UCAR gave a sense of contributing to a world wide effort of important science. Management was also immensely supportive of the work/family life balance.

The benefit offering is also superb.
Ucar has the best benefits on the planet
DIVISIONAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT III (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 12, 2015
Unfortunately, on the NCAR side, advancement and growth within the research center is short-lived unless one would like to continue doing the same thing over and over with no recognition. Don't get me wrong, this is fine for some, but it is a bit like school. If you are popular and get in with the right groups you excel. If you are not popular, you do not.
Benefits
Cons
Stifled management techniques.

Want to know more about University Corporation for Atmospheric Research?

Ask a question
Human Resource Department is a mess and impacts entire organization
Support services (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 8, 2015
Unfortunately, UCAR has experienced a huge upper management roll over in the last year. There are some signals of recovery, but the new HR director and employee relations manager are creating a fear based environment where people are not listened to and do not feel safe. UCAR has always been employee focused and taken care of its people, but not anymore. That being said, there are wonderful people that do work there and the scientists and NCAR are awesome.
Pros
benefits are incredible
Cons
Work life balance and fearful environment
****
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 14, 2015
Great place to work, I've been here for 21 years. The benefits are very good as well. UCAR does a lot of amazing work and I am happy to be a part of it!
Great place to work but no stability for longevity
System Administrator I (Current Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNSeptember 4, 2014
I have nothing negative to say about working here, however the fact that it is governed by the federal government makes longevity highly unlikely. Currently they are closing my facility and relocating jobs to Alabama.
Pros
Great coworker environment
Cons
Stability in job
What a Scam
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 18, 2014
This once great institution has been reduced to mish mash of part time/student employment opportunities.
Consistently one will find jobs posted that require computation/scientific skills that only a handful of people have, yet the position will either be posted as looking for a student intern of a project scientist I, which pays about as much as an undergraduate would expect to get in their first year after school coding Java or C#. In addition almost every job (except the rare replacement position) is a term position. Used to be 3 year terms, now I see it is almost always a 1 year term.
Also, technology at the institution is stuck in the 1970's, with ancient language such as fortran ruling the day.
Poor management, elitism and complete lack of any clear perception of reality has tainted this institution.
Steer clear.
Pros
Vacation time, work/life balance, 401k match.
Cons
No real jobs, just scams!
Good Company
Event Services Casual (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 24, 2014
It's just a part time job but they do a great job of working around school and what not to still try and get you as many hours as they can.
Working for a great cause
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 13, 2013
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) manages the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and focuses on research and training in atmospheric and Earth system sciences. The organization has a very academic environment, with a loosely federated, functional structure. The pay tends to lag behind the private sector, but offers good benefits such as educational assistance, retirement plan, child care, etc.
Pros
Work towards a good cause
Cons
Pay rates, budgets tied to Federal budgets.
It is a pioneering institution promoting atmospheric science and related research
Atmospheric Scientist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 26, 2013
It is an honor to work with institution like UCAR. It provides an excellent opportunity to contribute and excel in various aspects of atmospheric science.