University Health System Employee Reviews

had advanced trainning in assigned field education advancement opportunities.
Mental Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 4, 2018
I retired after 24 years of service, I wouldn't mind returning there but I would like to work at another type of work something new and not that demanding as the mental health field. I'm very appreciative of my job opportunities for advancement and was treated fairly no complaints whatsoever. I was offered my old job back but refused it I want to work part time and something not that demanding as previously.
Pros
Strong staff good benefits great environtment to work in.
Cons
none.
Hospital turned corporate
Certified Histotechnician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 17, 2018
The first 5 years were wonderful with a focus on patient care and employee wellness. Then in order to pay for the new hospital building the focus shifted. Patients were referred to as guests and raises were suspended. Work was overwhelming at times and focus was on making more money. We were told do more with less.
Pros
Promotion opportunities from within. Solid benifits.
Cons
Micromanagement and shifting of responsibilities
A great place with a variety of challenges
Master Social Worker, Care Coordination (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Each day was variable. There was no ability to predict what would be on the agenda outside of planning for LOS for each patient or scheduled End of Life conferences. Some would see this as a negative however I saw it as an opportunity, The hardest part of the job is the reality that a few of the patients who suffered a stroke would die or have severe impairment. Preparing a family for the future for the life of the patient was sometimes very difficult.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Uninsured patients
Best Hospital to Work in San Antonio
Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 5, 2018
The culture of university health system is unique, we give services to a diverse population and we are proud of. Funded Programs was the best department I ever worked during my eight years of employment. unfortunately I relocate to a different city.
The hospital core values will always remain with me, UHS you are in my heart.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
pay
Awesome PCC, great teamwork. Awful pay.
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TxNovember 27, 2018
At first I loved working at UHS until I got off orientation and realized we are ALWAYS understaffed!! Management always want nurses to pick up shift, but do not offer any incentives. If we have enough RNs, then we are usually short techs, and have to do total care for our 4-5 pts. May not sound too bad, but working on a surgical trauma floor, most of your patients need assistance getting up to go to the restroom or doing any ADLs, if they can even get up at all. Half of our techs our great and the other half are usually sitting around trying to get out of doing any work or hiding. They are constantly adding more to our workload without increasing pay or helping in any other way.Thank GOD my PCC and other nurses I work with are amazing or I would have left a long time ago. Pay is awful, like a total joke, benefits are decent. There is no room for advancement. If using the insurance provided you have to use docs that are either with UHS or UT making it difficult to get in to their office, especially pediatrics, because they rarely are accepting new patients. You have the option to go out of network but that costs an arm and a leg and totally not worth it. Administration is a joke. Hopefully something changes or they decide they need to be paying their nurses better because I will soon be looking for a new job.
Pros
Great teamwork amongst nurses
Cons
Pay, nurse to patient ratios, staffing in general
All about who you know and image
lvn (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 7, 2018
Good learning experience
Management relies on what others say instead of observing and actually seeing for themselves. Many favorites, if you don't cater to your superiors it doesn't matter how hard you work and loyal you are to them or the company. The most enjoyable part of my job was always helping others whether it be patients and or staff.
Pros
discounted meals, good benefits
Cons
management
More downs then ups!!
Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 20, 2018
Management is not good at all. They will write you up for the most ridiculous things and do not provide the information so you can look into. Plus you have to smooch up to your boss and they abuse their power.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
POOR MANAGEMENT!!!! Do not give you information when asked for!!!
Fun Place
Member Service Representative/Carelink (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 3, 2018
Work culture was positive and enjoyable. Management wasn't always supportive. A typical day at work was dealing with patients and providing services.
Benefits
Enjoyable and felexable schedule
Customer Service coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 27, 2018
great management, flexible schedule, team playing staff work security, great benefits, assists with student loan and work with your school schedule. wonderful environment.
Pros
reduce lunch
Cons
fast and quick past
Productive and fun place to work
Medicine Acute Care Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 29, 2018
Positive chanllenging atmosphere. Mgt always willing to work with you. Potential for career advancement. Team members are always there to help, great camaraderie! Sometimes assingments with high acuity are very demanding. Great area to gather a lot of learning experience!
Pros
Lunch time and breaks included
Cons
salary ladder
Amazing Teamwork
NEUROSURGERY AND TRAUMA ICU NURSE (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 31, 2018
The salary may be a lot less compared to other hospitals in the area but health insurance is virtually free. What they lack in salary compensation they truly make up for in benefits and staff appreciation.
Overall okay place to work
N/a (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GA 30907July 30, 2018
Could be better
Doesn’t give raises which isn’t good benefits increases every year but paycheck doesn’t, cost of living does as well. No sick time and holidays come out of the time you save for sick and vacation. First company I ever heard of to do this.
Pros
Benefits are ok
Cons
Holidays come out of your pto
Easygoing for the most part
Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 23, 2018
Company has amazing benefits. The annual events are very fun. UHS isn’t just a hospital it’s a work family. I experienced unfair treatment. Others may have experienced different.
Pros
UHS merchandise beautiful events are very fun
Red Tape laidened
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 6, 2018
UHS is a large healthcare entity within San Antonio, TX. It is true that there are many individuals within the organization that work hard for the care of their patients and their employees. Due to a corporate structure with considerable layers of management/leadership, UHS functions using a bureaucratically stunted, top-down decision process that is slow in responding to clinical and system needs. This process hinders the company's ability to make effective change nor improve systems throughout the organization while fostering a culture that stymies growth and suppressed innovation.
Great work place enviroment
Customer Service and Release of information (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 16, 2018
The officials of UHS work to make this the best place to work and that we have everything we need to do the job to make our patients, families, and customers feel that they have received the best treatment possible.
Pros
benefits package
Cons
Not enough open postitions
Fast Paced
Medical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 12, 2018
UHS as an organization provides great healthcare for the employees. The management within the clinics are lack luster and are able to do what they want. They cover up a lot. They provide bonuses to those who do not deserve it to ensure they do not leave their positions.
Pros
great benefits, overall great vision
Cons
bad management.
It was very good place to work boss cared abount employes
Housekeeper I (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 28, 2018
I loved working there. Boss was good wish pay was better. Good benefits it got busy at times. We was short on help.times they couldn't get people to come help
Pros
Good boss
Cons
pay not eough help at times
productive work enviornment
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 11, 2018
Typical work day was more like a routine, nothing that couldn't be handled. Great team work, no job was left undone for next shift. great communication, easy to take off if needed, we worked more like a family. I enjoyed working here would love to return if the opportunity was available.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
over worked, long hours
Poor management & favorites
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 19, 2018
If you’re not a favorite there’s no room for advancement & they will basically try and run you out of there.. Management was terrible & didn’t care about the employees or customers.. you’ll see a lot of public embarrassment on emplyfrom management, rumors and drama throughout the cafeteria & discrimination... Just stay away , the pay is decent but what you go through isn’t worth it & I’ve seen so many people come and go
Pros
Discounts, free food & pay
Cons
Poor management, favorites, no breaks, immature employees, no room for advancement, no job security
Financial/Registration Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 27, 2018
Enjoy working at UHS, benefits, working with patients, work hours, schedule, enjoy researching patients insurance coverage, obtaining referrals, updating demographics
Benefits
Cons
Downtown location