University Health System Employee Reviews

Red Tape laidened
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 6, 2018
UHS is a large healthcare entity within San Antonio, TX. It is true that there are many individuals within the organization that work hard for the care of their patients and their employees. Due to a corporate structure with considerable layers of management/leadership, UHS functions using a bureaucratically stunted, top-down decision process that is slow in responding to clinical and system needs. This process hinders the company's ability to make effective change nor improve systems throughout the organization while fostering a culture that stymies growth and suppressed innovation.
Productive and fun place to work
Medicine Acute Care Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 29, 2018
Positive chanllenging atmosphere. Mgt always willing to work with you. Potential for career advancement. Team members are always there to help, great camaraderie! Sometimes assingments with high acuity are very demanding. Great area to gather a lot of learning experience!
Pros
Lunch time and breaks included
Cons
salary ladder
Direct client collaboration
INTERN (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 18, 2018
Direct client collaboration through psychosocial assessment and multiple professional collaboration to address patient strengths and needs. Social work team was committed to assuring practitioner gained skills through multiple treatment settings.
Great work place enviroment
Customer Service and Release of information (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 16, 2018
The officials of UHS work to make this the best place to work and that we have everything we need to do the job to make our patients, families, and customers feel that they have received the best treatment possible.
Pros
benefits package
Cons
Not enough open postitions
nice staff
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 16, 2018
I like the staff there and everyone works well together. I feel the staff watches out for each other.It is really close to home so I don't have to drive very far to get to and from work. We start extremely early in the morning so at times we get out in the early afternoon which is really nice. You still have the rest of the afternoon to run errands if you need to.
Pros
Close to Home
Cons
16 hour days
fun work place
Medical Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 5, 2018
i was doing my externship but i loved working at university health system i learn a lot and had fun with my trainer.i learned how to take vital and how to put patient information in computer
Volunteer
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 5, 2018
A typical day for a volunteer was to do the task that was to be accomplished for that day. I learned to look for medications that were expired. The hardest part of the job is that it was an hour away from where I lived.
Productive work environment
Manager of Outpatient Pharmacy (Former Employee) –  Brady GreenJune 28, 2018
Productive work environment. Carrying environment.
Good people to work with and for. Gave me the ability to grow as
a pharmacist as well as a person. Loved the experience.
Financial/Registration Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 27, 2018
Enjoy working at UHS, benefits, working with patients, work hours, schedule, enjoy researching patients insurance coverage, obtaining referrals, updating demographics
Benefits
Cons
Downtown location
was ok
laundry inventory (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 26, 2018
if could I would go back to work for them . love the work place an the people . my job an my boss too . I was so happy working there . love it when I learned something new. or help out others.
Pros
good food
Cons
manggeagmeant
excellent team building
Financial Grants Analyst (Current Employee) –  san antonio texasJune 16, 2018
My typical day at work is never the same. There are days that I may just be able to complete projects, and others that include many meetings. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that what I do impacts the lives of many individuals and that is rewarding.
University Health is a great work enviroment, where senior leadership is always availble to assist and mentor.
Director- marketing & Public Relations (Current Employee) –  Shreveport and Monroe LouisianaJune 15, 2018
The healthcare industry is always changing, which provides me an opportunity to utilize one of my strengths; adaptability. There plenty of opportunities for professional development.
Pros
Helping the patient experience to leave better than when they entered the hospital.
Cons
Getting fully funded from the legislature is a challenge.
Fast Paced
Medical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 12, 2018
UHS as an organization provides great healthcare for the employees. The management within the clinics are lack luster and are able to do what they want. They cover up a lot. They provide bonuses to those who do not deserve it to ensure they do not leave their positions.
Pros
great benefits, overall great vision
Cons
bad management.
typical work day
Respiratory Therapist RRT -PFT Lab (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 1, 2018
PFT and exercise testing 8 hours a day. Management did not all ways make sure department was working well. Hardest part was scheduling and phone conversations with patients.
Pros
schedule
Cons
management
Uhs
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 30, 2018
The lack of a manager who has a core value that you can stand behind is one of many reasons I am choosing to leave UHS. If you have a manager who is not firm, fair and consistent with all their staff, it makes it difficult to know where you stand in the company.
Pros
I met life-long friends while working here
Cons
Management is lacking in a lot of areas - very concerning
it was great learning experience
Medical Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 29, 2018
i loved it there i wish i could have stayed to work but it was threw school doing my internship it wonderful to experience multiple things in such a short time the hands on is something you couldn't learn through a text book
Professional Envirorment
Registration Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 17, 2018
Easy paced environment. friendly, clean staff. Hardest part about the job is trusting patients tone of voice when they're needing medical assistance..
Great learning environment
Senior Administrative Assistant-Emergency Center (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 15, 2018
UHS gives you the opportunity to learn as much as you would like to learn. There are guidelines but Adinistration is extremely helpful. Although there seems to be difficult to transfer to a higher position.
Pros
Mail Out medications free to employee
Cons
rules are not for everyone
productive work enviornment
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 11, 2018
Typical work day was more like a routine, nothing that couldn't be handled. Great team work, no job was left undone for next shift. great communication, easy to take off if needed, we worked more like a family. I enjoyed working here would love to return if the opportunity was available.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
over worked, long hours
Takes care of their nurses.
Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMay 10, 2018
Overall, the moral of nurses is high. University Health goes out of their way to train and retain nurses who maintain positive attitudes. Nursing is a tough field, but University Health does their best to accommodate staffing vs patient needs.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Health Insurance Benefits