University Health System

University Health System insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Secure job, however there is no room for professional advancement, pto and benefits are not competitive or reasonable.

Average workplace. Below average employee moral. There are no incentives to be efficient or proficient for most employees. You will learn a lot due to it being an academic level 1 trauma facility, but not be compensated for your work or expertise.

Pros

Flexible schedule.

Cons

Pto given and approved.

Poor management

Management like to micro manage you. New rules or regulations regarding your job performance are not discussed with you until they agree what is best without asking their employees how we feel. Up until 2 years ago I ustu think very highly of UHS

Great place to work, benefits

Working at UHS was my first full-time, permanent job that was not minimum wage, so despite my salary being considered low compared to other professionals, I was very satisfied with my experience there. Organization is structured and they provide many opportunities for training, development, and working on other teams/projects/committees. For my own department, I met with my supervisor and the director regularly and they cared about my progress and contributions to the team. There are opportunities to get raises annually and more PTO accumulation based on years worked.

Pros

Stable benefits, extensive training, growth

Cons

Favor hiring from within over external candidates, in some departments upper level management will not speak to you

Good Benefits

Good benefits and a great place to learn a lot. However, there is not a lot room for career growth or advancement. They do give you $400 each year to use for continuing education.

Pros

Benefits, education allowance

Cons

Always busy, lack of job advancement

Fun to be at

It was excellent until they changed a little bit, they wanted us to do something at all times and never to be seen sitting down, in my opinion, why do nurses and cnas get to do that? But us be on our feet all day and looking busy?. Other ppl from other departments can have colored hair but we in transportation couldn't? And let's not leave out the fact that the cnas can have their earpods in their ears while on break. But us transporters couldn't? Wow some set of rules and singling out certain departments they have!?. Nice going good looking out!.

Pros

Fun ppl

Cons

Overworking ppl and still being given alot of work

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Non flexible

Management is not flexible. Not allowed to work from home (even when some people do). Expected to work long hours but not comp time in exchange. Management favoritism.

Pros

Great compensation

Cons

Flexibility

Great benefits.

They do have great health insurance benefits that's the best thing about it for me . No paid holidays, you have to use your PTO and it's very hard to get days off even if you have the time and over work people. On advancement only if you know people.

Pros

health insurance benefits

Cons

hard to get time off

Very productive and fun workplace

The benefits are great for myself and my children. The cost for benefits was reasonable .The staff environment was very comforting along with the hours manageable. A very fast-paced environment.

Enjoyable enviroment

Day to day work load is on the heavy side but manageable. 50 plus patients per CMT. Schedule management is good and gives employees freedom to change days if needed.

Poor management and shift leaders

first off, this department is a joke!!!! The manager doesn't care to hear your side of an accusation. He will try to.get you fired if he doesn't like you. He has his stool pigeons who report to him daily. The favoritism runs high. Some drivers i. The lab area take advantage of the other drivers and take liberties. All the good drivers are leaving because of this. Hr will not help you at all. The director needs to retire. He doesn't know what he's doing. This place sucks. They need a new manager who isn't in mature and a new shift leader who doesn't get intimidated by new employees.

Pros

nothing

Cons

all of it

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University Health System?

Na

I have found the director of my department to be an unprofessional bully. I do not feel I have any support from management. There has even been retaliation from complaints.

Organization striving to improve employee engagement yet the C-Suite not engaged.

The workplace culture is non-supportive. You need to find a click and stick with it. C-Suite - rude and unprofessional. Promotions are based on being young and hispanic. Very unsupportive environment from the COO down. Enjoyable part: working with my team, laughing with my friends, successfully completing of tasks, learning something new almost daily.

Pros

Able to sell PTO, Very good Salary

Cons

Always under pressure. Lack of support from C-Suite.

Great co-wokers

Fast paced, stressful, multi-tasking, company can have better pay.

Good and bad

At UHS you will meet and work with some really lovely people. However management is horrible. Supervisors treat professional staff with little respect or appreciation for their experience. Expect to be micromanaged and mistreated. Going to HR to resolve issues is a waste of time. Your supervisor can fabricate any reason to write you up and HR will not support the employee.

This is a highly political and toxic work environment.

I am speaking for the Biomedical Engineering department only. Revolving Door! You will be asked ‘daily’ to compromise your integrity. This is not a true Biomedical Engineering department. You have to keep on to get on—drink the Kool-Aid; has been described by many as a ‘lick it and stick it facility.’ You will be asked to falsify documentation and install errors to skew numbers. The primary use of energy and resources/money is not service but instead politics. Working at UHS is like playing a political game where everyone has set a cap for intelligence, that of a 7th grader—underdeveloped frontal lobe. You actually have to lower your intelligence to work here; eventually, you will forget how to do a real job. Working here is a career mistake and should be avoided at all costs. You will literally be more productive going on unemployment until you can acquire employment elsewhere. The only two reasons people stay at UHS is their pay is ‘okay’ and their health insurance is ‘excellent.’ Do yourself a favor and forget this place as an option. Again, to warn and state—this is not a ‘true’ Biomedical Engineering job. You will not be doing biomedical work. You will be making it ‘look’ like you are, but you will in-fact be manipulating data to report false numbers to leadership. And you will be threatened if you question anything. If you choose to work here, just remember to survive, keep your head down and protect your mental health—armor yourself.

great company to wrk for

My interview was a success. loved working for this company but for health reasons I retired early. Pharmacy Department has too many chiefs that's the only down fall

Productive Fun Workplace

Compensation/Benefits, Job Security/Advancement are a plus here. Health systems continues to grow and provide outreach to communities throughout Bexar county.

Lateral Bullying

Bullying existed among the nursing staff and nursing staff to patients. Experienced other nurses speaking unprofessionally of co-worker who worked the previous shift to patients. Nurses refuse to help one another and had a habit of gossiping and isolating newly hired nurses. Unhealthy work environment, distrustful employees. A lot of confrontation and bullying.

Experience

A great place to start if you don't have any experience. Encourage continuous education and you make a lot of friends that are dedicated to helping people in need.

University Health System is a great place to work

My direct report and all of my clients were the best ever!! Excellent place to work. Great schedule and staff. Always treated with respect. Position paid well.

Gender Pay

I would give them more stars HOWEVER as a female KNOWING my coworker who is a male and has only 1 more year of experience than me gets about $6-$7 more than me and he is also new to the company where as I have committed to them for 10 years. Yet for the past 2 years they haven’t given me the adjust rate because I “make to much” yet I know he got the raise last year. Me and my other coworker who is a female make the same and I have 1 year more experience then she does!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Health System. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare University Health System with

• University Health System
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?