University Medical Center of Southern Nevada Employee Reviews

excellent work plac
Student Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 9, 2018
Very fast paced work environment, excellent staff and management! Great experience and great learning and training environment with staff and colleagues that are always willing to assist you. When time permitted this was a very fun and enjoyable work place
Pros
great cafeteria
Cons
older facility sometimes made it difficult to get around
Stay away from the Business Office!
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 3, 2018
I’ve worked in the Business Office for years now it can be a decent place to work however upper management (the director) is very rude and unprofessional! Everyone knows it but does nothing about it probably out of fear of losing their job. Then you have the management that we must report to and most of them are also very unprofessional as well. They all abuse their authority and use the majority of the day socializing with the exception of one. The focus in my department is bringing in the money but unlike the private sector we do not receive bonuses when we make goal. From what I’ve heard upper management gets the bonus but what did they do to get the goal? They don’t put the work in. We already don’t get paid what we truly deserve. Only those who have been there 10+ are making good money.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
The pay needs to be more, incentives
Can be a great place
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 14, 2018
Typical 8 hour work day and a great place to learn facets of Heathcare, the middle management that exists acts as buffer from current new management that is trying to change the culture. The most difficult part of working there is the existing middle management that manages with the McGregor theory x attitude. The people that work there are very talented and take pride in there responsibilities, I might add that this is only my opinion.
Great Place to work
Staff RN Ambulatory Surgery Unit/Float Pool RN (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 27, 2017
My friends told me I wouldn't like it there but I loved working there. I worked with a great bunch of nurses and doctors. This was very rewarding to be a part of this experience.
Pros
Cons
Needed better benefits and paid time off.
Decent place to work, management leaves something to be desired.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 5, 2017
There is a decent amount of favoritism. I am worried about not getting the orientation I need, among other negative things. There does not seem to be any systematic guidelines to training.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of training.
Excellent place to start a career in the Medical Field.
Admission/Discharge Representative (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 6, 2017
It is an amazing institution with high values. Patients are well treated and cared for. The benefits compensation plans are unique and attractive to the employees.
Pros
Great place to start a career in the Medical field.
Cons
Poor management.
Office Technician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 5, 2017
UMC is a great place to work from great co-workers and other ancillary staff. The medical benefits out way the salary with( cal days )which are vacation days that can take off when you want to if you have accrued enough hours by working your full time hours. The emergency department never has a dull moment its a nonstop rollercoaster ride from start to finish with a diverse amount patients from all backgrounds and ethnicity.
Pros
medical bennefits, Longevity bonuses
Cons
the need for staff
Good
Admitting/Discharge Rep (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89102September 28, 2017
I love working there so much amazing opportunities amazing staff loved to environment and people ...the career advancement opportunity is so great .. I love helping people I love saving lives and impacting others lives even if it just a smile or good customer serivce
Pros
Free lunch amazing people
Cons
Very fast paced
Excellent Level One Trauma Center with Tremendous leadership.team.
Trauma Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 23, 2017
UMC is the only level 1 trauma center in the state of Nevada and the only free standing Level One Center west of the Mississippi. There are 24 hour/day seven day/week coverage for adult and pediatric trauma patients. UMC also has outstanding surgical services for transplant and burns as well as CV and a host of other tertiary care center services. They are well on the way to Magnet status.

RNs at UMC get the opportunity to work with physicians and residents in a world class learning environment to hone their skills in a multititude of areas. This all they while earning a public employees retirement at a full 28% of their salary for which they are fully vested after 5 short years.
Pros
Professional developement, Pers, wide variety of experiences
Cons
Lower take home than other local hospitals, client base is sometimes difficult to deal with because they are from out of the area.
productive place to work
Material Handler I (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 20, 2017
typical work day is usually fast past paced but controlled nice environment co workers are respectful and helpful all around nice place to work benefits are awesome the pay can be sort of low but all around nice workplace.
benefits
Cons
pay
Fun, stressful at times, and very educational on my part
Telemetry Monitor Technician/ Cardiac Monitor Tech (Former Employee) –  Charleston Blvd, NVSeptember 13, 2017
I have a very learnful experimces , learned a lot being a floater in all the ICU's, including trauma icu! I got to apply good skills both as a team player and a team leader. The fast paced invironment trained me and made me learn the importance of having a common sense😊. I develop and improve my communication skills as well. I became more flexible as far as helping other coworkers when in need of help. Bosses are very supportive and encouraging and knows how to acknowledged job well done.
I wished I could have stayed and never moved back to Hawaii then...
Pros
Free coffees, donuts and pastries, crackers most of the time.
Cons
Good retirement benifits, with med/ dental, vision plans
Great Hospital with a lots of varieties of education
Assist in operations (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 2, 2017
Great Hospital , Great Education Provided for staff and residency of Medical Students.
you never get bored, every day is different at UMC Las Vegas.
Ortho and Neuro is there Forte. Very impressive Trauma Team as well Doctors.
very busy trauma center and a great place to work
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 15, 2017
a very busy place to work with many different type of cases and a great place to teach.but the staff was over worked .would have liked to see more heart cases.
Pros
nice place to work very busy
Cons
needed more staff
Volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 10, 2017
I comforted patients in the ER and assisted the nursing staff. Typical day would consist of stocking nurse carts followed by making rounds with patients. Assisting patients consisted of providing blankets, pillows, and water for them.
Faced paced, highly acute teaching hospital
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 15, 2017
I very much enjoyed working at UMC. It can some times get a bad reputation being a county hospital, but you will never get the experiences you see there anywhere else.
Great Benefits for long term, dedicated team players
Witheld (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 9, 2017
UMC is uniquely positioned to provide premium health care services including Level 1 Trauma and Burn for the region. It is undergoing great changes and opportunities are available to participate in the change.

Challenges exist as a County organization, with management having to work with overhead and having to compete against private sector hospitals whom are nimble and endowed with newer facilities. When the challenges are overcome, UMC will become a greater power in the region in providing first class health care with an exceptional EMR solution.
Not a bad place to work
Plant Operations (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 7, 2017
Great benefits. not a lot of pressure. It was hard to get parts. I didn't like working in a hospital, always around sick people. Had to travel to quick care locations for work a lot.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
sick people, no payed lunch
Excellent
Patient Attendant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 7, 2017
Typical day at work consist of monitoring patients placed under a hold from the state to make sure they are safe. I learned to show compassion to patients and people. I enjoyed the friendly and team work in the enviroment
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
N/a
Level 1 Trauma Center in Las Vegas
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 17, 2017
Learned many basic nursing skills and exposed to many difficult cases, such as gun shot wounds, head injuries, and drownings. Hardest part was taking care of a pediatric pt with a poor prognosis.
Pros
Learned basic nursing skills
Cons
taking care of a pediatric pt with a poor prognosis.
Stressful Job
Patient Attendant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 8, 2017
This was a job I was passionate about because I did feel like I was able to make a difference in my patient's lives. However, the work environment and atmosphere was very chaotic, and unstable.