University of Akron Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Place to grow.
Technical Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 9, 2018
Good Academics and beautiful campus. The professors were helpful and the way the curriculum was built was a good blend of the management subjects and the technical subjects,
Assistant Track and Field Coach (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 5, 2018
Learned to be a better person and management skills. Different everyday and gained a sense of community with others at the university and the people around it.
Tenured faculty do very little for the most part
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 3, 2018
Some tenured faculty work less than 10 hours per week yet act as if they are fixing the world. Having this much free time results in unprofessional behaviors and meddling, agenda pushing, and extreme politics.
Stressful but meaningful working experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 29, 2018
In the UAkron, I worked for a wastewater treatment company as a research assistant for 3 years. The company requried me to give updates for every 2-3 weeks which was really stressful but later I realized that my ability got improved a lot so doing research work for company can be more difficult but you get more chance to learn and become better.
Many activities to enjoy.
Cashier, Sr.& Asst, to Bookstore Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHMarch 6, 2018
I learned the ins and outs of higher education.This job was not much different from my retail experiences.Dealing with customers was a daily task. This was the best job that I ever worked.
Pros
I had my own responsibilities and requirements for each day.
Cons
Small office and it was rough if someone called off work.
Productive, fun, stress free
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 6, 2018
The typical day at college involves attending classes, doing projects.
As a graduate assistant have to spend two hours per week at the lab for teaching and discussion purpose.
Good school with good teacher. Liked the education.
Student (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 5, 2018
I was a student it was fun. I did not work there. Good school fun times would recommend betting expensive . Good programs. Good food good dorms would send me kids there
productive work place
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 15, 2018
It was a great opportunity for me as a student to work in an academic environment. The salary is fairly enough for living in a small city like Akron and the working hours do not harm your studies.
It was a good employer
Banquet Manager (Former Employee) –  105 fir hillFebruary 14, 2018
I worked around the public, we did outside catering for public an University .Catered at the President's house and alumni board members. Then worked on university food prep line.
Student employment
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  CBAJanuary 30, 2018
It was an okay student job. Regular schedule. Good supervisor. Worth having while in school. Great experience if wanting to work in the IT field and useful references.
Academia
Assistant Professor of Instruction (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 18, 2018
Working as a full time professor requires academic skills, social skills, and intellectual skills. Collaboration is important. You must be able to effectively teach a diverse student population.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
internal politics
Learning Environment
Head End Distance Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 15, 2018
Everyday I would review the schedule of classes that were going to have connections, then place the connections on one of the eight monitors above the station. Next, I would then wait until a class would start and watch to make sure the connection between classes was completely successful. I would do this for every single class that was occurring that day. I would often trouble shoot problems with the classroom assistants over the phone if they were having any issue with the classroom technology.
Pros
Working with technology
Cons
No healthcare
A Good Company
Student/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton ohioJanuary 15, 2018
A good organization to start your career. Management was good and a typical workday consisted with opening the store and ordering, organizing, and arranging your clothing line, and ordering textbooks.
lab assistant
Student Labs Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 5, 2018
I worked as a lab assistant for student work study, and it was a great job to have while attending classes. The management was great and so were the hours.
educative and fun
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Computer science DepartmentJanuary 5, 2018
decent amount of work and decent pay, work culture was good. Hardest part of the job was that the students did their projects using different languages and different operating systems and was difficult to evaluate.
Good for Student Work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 27, 2017
As a student worker, my manager was very willing to let me set my own hours and was flexible around my classes. Compensation was above minimum at my department.
Always something to do
Maintenance Repair Worker (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 1, 2017
Overall I love my job for what I do and learning new things is unlimited.The people I work with varies from older and grumpy to younger and much easier to work with. They love to promise or tell the workers things that at the end of the day work out or benefit in there favor.Making rules up as they go or changing them.Nobody is held to a standard
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
No room to advance
great place
STUDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  akron ohioOctober 4, 2017
Great place to work, the work environment was relaxed, the supervisors were attentive to the flexibilty I required with being a student. They treat everyone as family. The diversity is refreshing
Student Assist, Bierce Library, Circ Desk
Bierce Library, Circ Desk - Student Assist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OhioSeptember 25, 2017
I worked as a Student assistant at Bierce Library Circulation Desk

We were responsible for entering new patrons into the computer and updating accounts, accepting fines, checking in/out books and other materials, assisting patrons in ordering materials through ohio-link from other locations/branches/schools, stock materials/books in order in the stacks. (other duties unspecified)

each assistant had their own sections and their own responsibilities depending on what manager they were working with.

In each section you were responsible for straightening you section, making sure the materials were in numerical order.
Pros
can work here with Fereral work study
Cons
not a place where you can do homework or study
Great place to work while attending classes
Physics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 20, 2017
I enjoyed working at the University of Akron as a tutor during my time as a student. It's a good opportunity to practice the material you;re studying.
Pros
Great culture.