University of Akron Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
College Has Gone Downhill
Adjunct English instructor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 16, 2018
The University of Akron was a wonderful place to work at in the 1980's, but has since emphasized athletics and polymer science research over liberal arts education. It is also not very supportive of its adjuncts.
Pros
Adequate adjunct teaching opportunities
Cons
Lack of support by management
some departments are better than others
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 27, 2018
A good place to work in the at first.Then department shake ups and ever changing leadership makes an unstable work place. Working with the students was the best part.
Pros
watching students grow
Cons
no proper leadership
strong in the area of polymer science
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 1, 2018
The University of Akron is a very strong in polymer science and chemical engineering. If you are looking for great academics in the area of polymer science, the University of Akron is the school for you.
relaxed
Student Pantry Chef (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 30, 2018
i was a real relaxed environment with different cultures.. You will meet alot of new friends and you will have some of the same similar views.. So you will be more open
Pros
very friendly staff
Cons
seasonal employment
Managing the soccer team
Soccer Team manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 30, 2018
Work was waking up early to head to the office and prepare sessions, meeting on what to do for the week and me preparing myself to set things up, organize and make sure everything runs smooth for the university of Akron men's soccer team. Also, make sure the coaches are satisfied with what is expected for the year. When traveling make sure we have everything we need, equipment, projector, balls, cones, pinnies etc. Overall, become a logistics man and make sure everything is running smooth.
Pros
traveling, camps, coaching experience, knowledge from college coaches
Cons
very fast-paced and making sure everything is perfect
Great
Internship Emergency Management (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 19, 2018
Great experience
Everyday required a new tactic
The management was fantastic and very understanding
The most enjoyable days were everyday
It was the best experience
Place to grow.
Technical Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 9, 2018
Good Academics and beautiful campus. The professors were helpful and the way the curriculum was built was a good blend of the management subjects and the technical subjects,
Assistant Track and Field Coach (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 5, 2018
Learned to be a better person and management skills. Different everyday and gained a sense of community with others at the university and the people around it.
Tenured faculty do very little for the most part
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 3, 2018
Some tenured faculty work less than 10 hours per week yet act as if they are fixing the world. Having this much free time results in unprofessional behaviors and meddling, agenda pushing, and extreme politics.
Stressful but meaningful working experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 29, 2018
In the UAkron, I worked for a wastewater treatment company as a research assistant for 3 years. The company requried me to give updates for every 2-3 weeks which was really stressful but later I realized that my ability got improved a lot so doing research work for company can be more difficult but you get more chance to learn and become better.
Many activities to enjoy.
Cashier, Sr.& Asst, to Bookstore Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHMarch 6, 2018
I learned the ins and outs of higher education.This job was not much different from my retail experiences.Dealing with customers was a daily task. This was the best job that I ever worked.
Pros
I had my own responsibilities and requirements for each day.
Cons
Small office and it was rough if someone called off work.
Productive, fun, stress free
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 6, 2018
The typical day at college involves attending classes, doing projects.
As a graduate assistant have to spend two hours per week at the lab for teaching and discussion purpose.
Good school with good teacher. Liked the education.
Student (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 5, 2018
I was a student it was fun. I did not work there. Good school fun times would recommend betting expensive . Good programs. Good food good dorms would send me kids there
productive work place
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 15, 2018
It was a great opportunity for me as a student to work in an academic environment. The salary is fairly enough for living in a small city like Akron and the working hours do not harm your studies.
It was a good employer
Banquet Manager (Former Employee) –  105 fir hillFebruary 14, 2018
I worked around the public, we did outside catering for public an University .Catered at the President's house and alumni board members. Then worked on university food prep line.
Student employment
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  CBAJanuary 30, 2018
It was an okay student job. Regular schedule. Good supervisor. Worth having while in school. Great experience if wanting to work in the IT field and useful references.
Academia
Assistant Professor of Instruction (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 18, 2018
Working as a full time professor requires academic skills, social skills, and intellectual skills. Collaboration is important. You must be able to effectively teach a diverse student population.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
internal politics
Learning Environment
Head End Distance Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 15, 2018
Everyday I would review the schedule of classes that were going to have connections, then place the connections on one of the eight monitors above the station. Next, I would then wait until a class would start and watch to make sure the connection between classes was completely successful. I would do this for every single class that was occurring that day. I would often trouble shoot problems with the classroom assistants over the phone if they were having any issue with the classroom technology.
Pros
Working with technology
Cons
No healthcare
A Good Company
Student/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton ohioJanuary 15, 2018
A good organization to start your career. Management was good and a typical workday consisted with opening the store and ordering, organizing, and arranging your clothing line, and ordering textbooks.
lab assistant
Student Labs Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 5, 2018
I worked as a lab assistant for student work study, and it was a great job to have while attending classes. The management was great and so were the hours.