University of Alabama, Birmingham Employee Reviews

Great Environment
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 16, 2018
Environment was great. The pay was minimal for the temporary position and there was no benefits for temporary workers. Overall though awesome company and culture.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Temp positions not as favorable as Full Time
Good Place to Work
Program Director - School of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 13, 2018
Academic culture is awesome - benefits are also great - Very smart people with a chance to work with thought leaders in the community health system. Employee benefits and retirement are also good .
Love working at UAB
Patient Registration Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AL 35215July 11, 2018
UAB was one of the best place I have ever worked at. I wish my government grant was renewed, however the experience was amazing and life changing. When I graduate from school I will most definitely apply for jobs at UAB.
Pros
Beautiful campus, great food places, great parking
Uab
Financial Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 9, 2018
It's OK as far as security but not necessarily pay/advancement. management, culture, and a typical day at work depend on the department you are in. I haven't been in the best department.
UAB is just OK
Unit Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 9, 2018
UAB is a great place to work,has great benefits.
However, the Management is horrible and HR lies to you about elgibility when applying for other positions.
Benefits
Cons
Management/HR
I loved working at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 4, 2018
My experience in all of my years working at UAB was extremely positive. I was always treated fairly and with respect.

A typical day at work consisted of general office routine work - typing, ordering supplies, taking phone calls, arranging meetings, and paying office bills.

I learned how to work well with others and work as a team.

The management at UAB was terrific. They had all of their employees' interests at heart.

The workplace culture was positive and was against any forms of harassment and bullying.

The hardest part of the job was to occasionally have to reprimand a fellow employee for an infraction.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the teamwork, fellowship, hard work, and getting the job done together.
Pros
Pros: my co-workers
Cons
Cons: None
hands on training
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 27, 2018
uab is a awesome place to work. I still talk about the staff until this date. uab taught me so much that i still carry the things i had learned to other jobs
Enjoyable work environment
Temp Specialist (Licensed Social Worker) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 24, 2018
The staff I worked with were supportive. I was on a temp assignment. It's too much politicking when trying to get a permanent job at UAB. I applied for several positions while I was employed there and was recommended by my former supervisor. I wasn't even offered an interview for the positions, so I'm disappointed in how UAB recruit and/or hire.
Pros
Supportive coworkers
Cons
Hard to get a permanent position although qualified, its not what you know, but who you know.
Type of work
Clerical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 23, 2018
This job was mainly a phone job. We had to update information using Excel. We had to talk to doctor's offices all day making sure their information in the patient handbook was current
Pros
there was always work
Loved UAB
Administrative Associate/Personnel Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 21, 2018
I loved working at UAB. I worked there for 25+ years and my retirement was too good to pass up. I would recommend working at UAB to anyone. Can't say enough good things about it
Very Stressful Position
Clinical Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 14, 2018
A typical day at work would be getting all the vials completed in a timely manner. I learned a lot about tissue banking and oncology. Management needs improvement. Workplace culture is good. The hardest part of my job is dealing with different peoples attitudes. Them most important part of my job is getting tissue and processing the tissue.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Breaks
Enjoyable job environment
Temp Specialist/Executive Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 11, 2018
Although there is a lot of bureaucracy at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, there are opportunities to learn and grown every day. It is difficult to gain permanent, full-time employment. However, once gained, the job security and opportunities are great.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement
Cons
Bureaucracy
People are nice
Administrative Associate II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 7, 2018
People are nice but the salary is way too low and they claim to give advancement opportunity but they don't really. The process is rigged and you have to know someone to get out.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
poor pay
Productuve
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 6, 2018
Productive and a great environment and workplace. My experience was phenomenal. Met great people and the professors were amazing. Would definitely do it again
Wonderful place
Environmental Specialist, November 2106- current (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 28, 2018
This is a great company to work for. There are so many great opportunities that you can build from and grow. I love the environment that I'm able to learn new things.
First Job
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 22, 2018
I loved working at UAB. The only reason I left was due to not being able to secure a dayshift position in my desired unit. I worked night shift for several years and it was hard to get a day shift position.
Can’t say enough good things about UAB
Laboratory Animal Technician II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 20, 2018
UAB really cares about their employees. They provide many free services to employees that are beneficial as well as medical and financial support. UAB is probably one of the best places to work at.
Pros
Great medical and financial benefits.
Cons
Depending on the department, the pay was slightly belies cost of living in the area.
Tough, but good benifits
Researcher II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 20, 2018
The culture can be toxic, depends on where you work. I did research, and I found that it was a competitive environment, but the benefits are pretty good.
UAB- Great benefits
Former Head Women's Golf Coach (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 16, 2018
UAB is a great employer that has top notch benefits and employee resources. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with college students. I so enjoyed witnessing them transform from teenager to working adult.

I learned how to manage a Title IX claim, award student scholarships and mentor employees and students.
benefits
Cons
travel was 75% of job
I love working here!
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 10, 2018
Most of the people are great people and work very hard to make UAB what it is!

It is very diverse and accepting, I love that about UAB!!

If you have an opportunity to work with UAB, the experience is one that you will not fine anywhere else.
Pros
People
Cons
People

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alabama, Birmingham. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2