University of Alabama, Birmingham Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Tough, but good benifits
Researcher II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 20, 2018
The culture can be toxic, depends on where you work. I did research, and I found that it was a competitive environment, but the benefits are pretty good.
UAB- Great benefits
Former Head Women's Golf Coach (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 16, 2018
UAB is a great employer that has top notch benefits and employee resources. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with college students. I so enjoyed witnessing them transform from teenager to working adult.

I learned how to manage a Title IX claim, award student scholarships and mentor employees and students.
benefits
Cons
travel was 75% of job
I love working here!
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 10, 2018
Most of the people are great people and work very hard to make UAB what it is!

It is very diverse and accepting, I love that about UAB!!

If you have an opportunity to work with UAB, the experience is one that you will not fine anywhere else.
Pros
People
Cons
People
Enjoyed my time as a GA.
Graduate Assistant Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 9, 2018
GA Athletic Trainer for Birmingham City Schools. Responsible for Rehabing injured athletes from 10 High Schools and 15 Middle Schools. Great atmosphere.
You can do better
Hospital Pharmacy Technician Certified (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 9, 2018
Just know even if you try your HARDEST it will always be overlook and under appreciated. They have amazing potential and use none of it. They also do not pay well at all and even killing yourself with overtime is not enough. The constant turn over is absolutely impressive in the volume and it is hard to focus on yourself when there is constantly bad changes and people leaving every single week.
Pros
none currently
Cons
everything
Friendly/family Environment
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 7, 2018
UAB is a great place to work. The environment is very friendly and everyone is just like family which makes the work place wonderful. Everyone does their part in helping to give great customer service for internal/external clients. We have departmental competition during homecoming week where each department decorate their floor to win prizes such a pizza party or ice cream day.
Na
Manager Office of Trademarks and Licensin (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 7, 2018
Great benefits and work life balance environment. Limited opportunity for job growth. Decentralized work culture, working with multiple independent units.
Like ping pong
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 1, 2018
Productive,fun, and safe workplace. I've work as a PCT for 7yrs now and I love the healthcare field, each day is something new and I'm all for learning.
A good company to learn from
Research Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 30, 2018
UAB is diverse and has great opportunities for growth. The mentors at the University of Alabama at Birmingham are incredible. Though I am not sure about career advancement, it is still a good company to work for.
Great Opportunity for Growth
Organizational Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 30, 2018
As with any large organization, opportunities vary. With the UAB & UAB Health System, there are countless opportunities and support for growth & success. The work we do betters the lives of our students, our patients, and our community. We really do collectively make a difference in the world, and regardless of your position, you have the opportunity to contribute to that heartfelt mission.
Pros
Culture, Make a Difference
Cons
Disparate arms of operation can conflict at times, results in silos.
Bad first experience in research
Research Assistant/Data Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 25, 2018
Very little management on the job and was unable to advance in my career like I was told would be possible

If you are looking for a flexible, research is the way to go
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Paid unfairly
Productive and fun place to work
Coordinator, Emergency Medical Services (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 18, 2018
The University of Alabama at Birmingham is the most advanced institute of higher education in the state of Alabama. It is a research institution, with a large medical center.
Pros
low cost of living
Interesting and Stable
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 17, 2018
Typical days are always interesting. Nearly always something new to work on. Management can be difficult, no room for advancement to higher level positions. Benefits are good as long as you stay in state.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No room for advancement, no pay rate increases
The work place was good
Medical Records Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 16, 2018
My working at UAB was very good my job I really enjoyed working. ..I would love to come back and work at UAB again I learned so much the 27 years I worked there.The staff was very nice and friendly the experience I had there when I was sick was wonderful I will tell anyone that we have the best doctor and nurses. ..
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 12, 2018
Productive environment with wonderful staff. Very knowledgeable staff and wonderful opportunity to learn and grow in your career. Would recommend to others.
lack of growth and biased faculty.
Research Associate, (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 12, 2018
some labs are horrible. English is not used as a language of communication in few labs, some other foreign language is used in some labs and people from only one foreign country are recruited in one lab in UAB, Birmingham, and if you are not from their foreign country you will be left isolated in the lab.
Pros
OK for science
Cons
English is not language of lab communications.
Great!
Junior Radiation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 9, 2018
Loved it! Enjoyed the people! Rare layoffs and great pay for the industry! I love how they know the national averages and stay competitive with them. A day in the clinics will give you amazing exposure to rare conditions, because they are a great teaching facility and tend to get the worst of the worst or advanced cases.
Great
Clinic Patient Services Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 30, 2018
I love UAB. Go Blazers! We are the largest company in Birmingham, AL. We are the largest employer. I would love to have a second income in addition to working at UAB.
Productive and fun place

helpful HR

Medical facility best
Excellent
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 28, 2018
I really enjoyed working at uab. The atmosphere is encouraging, and the perks are fabulous. The time I spent there was the best work experience in my life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alabama, Birmingham. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Alabama, Birmingham Reviews by Location