University of Alabama, Birmingham Employee Reviews

Fun experience with many resources and benefits provided
Administrative/Payroll Specialist/HR (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 5, 2018
I felt like my career in this position had peaked and had no potential of advancement. The structure and dynamics of the department changed and while, i am adaptable to change, I feel like my skills and abilities would be better utilized in another position.
benefits
Cons
unannounced structure and departmental rule changes
Toxic culture and poor working environment
Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 4, 2019
Nurse Practitioners are treated as scribes. I’ve been at uab since 2003 in some capacity or another (student/worker) and I’m beyond thrilled to be finally moving on to a better working environment. There is no regard for work life balance and the pay is deplorable. They don’t even try to hide the favoritism when it comes to job advancement or better schedules. They believe in working you into the ground and paying you peanuts. While I still will recommend someone to come there to receive medical treatment due to the evidence based practice approach to practicing medicine at UAB, I will NEVER recommend anyone to work there. You can do much better elsewhere without losing your best work years.
Pros
Working with highly educated individuals
Cons
Pay, work-life balance, toxic culture, parking, favoritism
Program Manager II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 17, 2018
I worked at UAB for over 25 years. It was a great place to work with great benefits. I retired from there. It was necessary to be very detail oriented in my position and there was always a lot to do. I felt appreciated and that my work was important to the organization.
Pros
Great benefits
Treasury Department
Assistant Vice President - Treasurer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 27, 2018
Treasury is a small department for a $2 billion organization. We work very hard to protect UAB's financial assets. You can determine your daily work day. The culture (depending on the department) is very collaborative.
Horrible!
Study Coordinator/Clinical Trials Administrator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 5, 2018
Poor management, poor salary, negative environment. The culture is difficult. Most employees are overworked and not compensated fairly for the amount of work performed.
Opportunity to grow
Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 25, 2018
Here at UAB I have opportunities to learn and grow, allowing for advancement, and I enjoy my coworkers. They have good benefits and a good retirement plan.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
difficult to park, adds to commute time.
Productive and sometimes stressful workplace
Office Associate II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 21, 2018
Productive and sometimes stressful workplace with not much ability to advance. I objected to not having very many evaluations, so there was little room for raises due to this.
Pros
non-profit loan forgiveness eligible, state retirement
Cons
not very good pay
Them benies tho
Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 7, 2018
They drastically underpay and overwork. The benefits are AMAZING, but the pay is insulting. You will spend at least half of your time in meetings or obnoxious teambuilding exercises.
Pros
Benefits, benefits, benefits
Cons
Nearly everything else
Perfectly fine place to work
Data Entry Operator II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 19, 2018
UAB has great benefits
UAB has a very nice work environment
UAB provides various opportunities for employee engagement activities
UAB provides flexibility where there is a need and availability to provide it
The workplace
Animal Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 8, 2018
Ok place good environment to work nice people good benefits the better education and great job enforcement a great place to work good employees good management great great policy an overall of a great job
Pros
Free education
Cons
Short break
Great Environment
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 16, 2018
Environment was great. The pay was minimal for the temporary position and there was no benefits for temporary workers. Overall though awesome company and culture.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Temp positions not as favorable as Full Time
Good Place to Work
Program Director - School of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 13, 2018
Academic culture is awesome - benefits are also great - Very smart people with a chance to work with thought leaders in the community health system. Employee benefits and retirement are also good .
UAB is just OK
Unit Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 9, 2018
UAB is a great place to work,has great benefits.
However, the Management is horrible and HR lies to you about elgibility when applying for other positions.
Benefits
Cons
Management/HR
could be a better work place for those intrested in advancement
CRNA (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 22, 2018
I have been employed 20 years at this institution and during this time have completed and Executive Masters in Health Administration and a Doctorate in Nursing Practice in order to position myself for advancement.
Pros
I am here because of work life balance
Cons
Direct leadership indulges in favortism
People are nice
Administrative Associate II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 7, 2018
People are nice but the salary is way too low and they claim to give advancement opportunity but they don't really. The process is rigged and you have to know someone to get out.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
poor pay
Can’t say enough good things about UAB
Laboratory Animal Technician II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 20, 2018
UAB really cares about their employees. They provide many free services to employees that are beneficial as well as medical and financial support. UAB is probably one of the best places to work at.
Pros
Great medical and financial benefits.
Cons
Depending on the department, the pay was slightly belies cost of living in the area.
UAB- Great benefits
Former Head Women's Golf Coach (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 16, 2018
UAB is a great employer that has top notch benefits and employee resources. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with college students. I so enjoyed witnessing them transform from teenager to working adult.

I learned how to manage a Title IX claim, award student scholarships and mentor employees and students.
benefits
Cons
travel was 75% of job
Interesting and Stable
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 17, 2018
Typical days are always interesting. Nearly always something new to work on. Management can be difficult, no room for advancement to higher level positions. Benefits are good as long as you stay in state.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No room for advancement, no pay rate increases
Na
Manager Office of Trademarks and Licensin (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 7, 2018
Great benefits and work life balance environment. Limited opportunity for job growth. Decentralized work culture, working with multiple independent units.
Tough, but good benifits
Researcher II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 20, 2018
The culture can be toxic, depends on where you work. I did research, and I found that it was a competitive environment, but the benefits are pretty good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alabama, Birmingham. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2