University of Alabama logo
University of Alabama
Happiness rating is 78 out of 100Above average

University of Alabama Employee Reviews

SBIRT Care Provider

SBIRT is great and a needed program in all facilities. Unfortunate that it is ending. Working for the capstone has overall been a good experience. I would recommend, especially if you’re interested in furthering your education.

Pros

Trainings, networking

Good Intro Job

Great job for students or those who want to breach into a field. A wide variety of jobs in a varitey of departments. The pay could be better and current political climates greatly affect the workplace.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Stressful

Great Coworkers and Staff

Management and fellow coworkers are great! I've personally always experienced a great workplace environment. Whenever I've run into any issues, my supervisors and management have always provided flexible and reasonable accommodations.

Good work but not great pay

Working for the University of Alabama is a good job. Best part is the insurance and benefits. You can't take this job expecting great pay. Just have to weigh the pros and cons.

Pros

Good insurance

Cons

low pay

Good

It was going to rain. The weather forecast didn't say that, but the steel plate in his hip did. He had learned over the years to trust his hip over the weatherman. It was going to rain, so he better get outside and prepare.

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Good coworkers

I really love my supervisor and coworkers. I also love the fact that UAB and my coworkers checked on me when I had Covid. No other company or team has ever been like that.

A great place to work as a student

While attending the university, I was able to work in a research lab part-time. It was great experience as a student and allowed me to build my resume. Definitely a great experiece.

The University of Alabama is a great place to work. They have great benefits and are very flexible. Anyone considering applying definitely should! I love it here,

Mixed bag

UA is a mixed bag especially for people of color. While i worked under a grant program I made many connections with other traditional employees who are POC and they agreed when it comes to supporting diversity UA does not do enough. Yeah you may see POC in some VP positions, but for your average employee it is so difficult to advance and the hiring system can be very biased.

Pros

Employee perks, department perks

Cons

Insufficient pay, lack of opportunities for POC

Easy job to have as a student!

As a student, working as an undergraduate assistant was a nice job to have. I was able to work when I wanted to and easily fit my work schedule around my class schedule.

Pros

Flexibility in scheduel

Cons

Pay

Jobs at University of Alabama

See more jobs

13 years in and i feel "stuck"

I started in 2008 and am still employed with the university. My wife is employed with the university as well in a different department. Seeing the difference better the departments is unreal. My wife's department treats their employees with dignity and understanding. My department, while it used to be ok, has slowly went downhill. Pay is ok. hours are great. time off is/was ample. Benefits are being taken or having the price raised. Overtime is gone. Lazy workers due to inefficient hiring. Immediate management is great until they're bosses say not to be. Dont expect your managers to stick up for the little guys, it wont happen. The job itself isnt hard but isnt very fulfilling. Little to no chance for advancement. Building is dilapidated and needs to be demolished. I honestly feel that it would be shut down if the right person saw it. They dont match retirement anymore. Last but not least, you have to PAY TO PARK!! You have to pay to go to work. That's not right. To sum it up, it's not a bad job if your standards or aspirations aren't the highest. You wont get rich but as long as you come to work you'll have a job. You will need to work on the side though, everyone does. Also a great job for a lazy person. There are employees who literally sleep more than they work but they still have a job. Do the pros outweigh the cons? It's all about what you want, a career or a mediocre job you'll be stuck at for 13 years like me. Other departments may be worth it but this particular one isnt one of them.

Pros

Off time, work hours, work load

Cons

Everything that isnt off time, work hours, work load.

Exceptional leadership

University of Alabama is the best school in the country and is growing and getting better by the day. They are dedicated to your success and success just oozes out of everything this University does.

TAing through a MA

Working as a TA had decent lay for cost of living but no one made sure you weren't overworked and you don't really have a lot of freedom to make your curriculum.

Pros

$$ to get through grad school

Cons

Healthcare

It was Constant disapproval by and negative criticism from director. Mental abuse, end extremely poor work environment when she was there.

The above summary was experienced by everyone in the office. Numerous staff had left before I came and during my employment, as many as five GAs walked out and gave up. Even the Assistant Director recognized the poor work environment and issues with the Director. She shared our feelings about it but could do very little. HR was notified by a few staff who complained about Director but unfortunately I was targeted and even though she tried many times to make me quit, she had to terminate my employment after she began to feel the heat from our complaints. Numerous lies were told and fraud was attempted by the director.

Pros

Loved the job and the staff I worked with. Happy to be a part of the University of Alabama.

Cons

Director. She made everyone miserable.

Fun and Easy

I worked in concessions during football season. I made a fair amount of money and we had fun. I learned a few things about how to cook. It was just simple foods though.

Pros

free food

Cons

hot

really depends upon the department

It really depends upon the college, department, etc that you work in. Upper administartion does not listen to employees though. Pay sucks but time off is abundent.

Pros

excessive time off

Fun job at the rec center

Good job for school, not intense hours and cool people. Learned how to train and conduct interviews, bosses available to help you learn skills for after graduation

Good benefits with okay pay

Start early and stay on. Benefits out way the bad. Co workers are always awesome. Snow days are great too. Holidays are fun. Paid during spring break.

Benefits

Cons

Paying for parking

Although part of 1 employer, feels more like every department is different

Need better management training. Feels like every department runs separately, and differently. Raises are always a struggle. There is no cohesive leadership. Perk is the time off, but as an hourly employee, not exempt, I didn't accrue PTO as fast and wasn't allowed overtime. So any PTO gets used up quickly if you have any kind of emergency. And then it takes forever to accrue back. Haven't really felt supported, or encouraged to move up. It was a dead-end job, it felt like.

Pros

Time off

Cons

nonexistent raises, poor leadership

I was always learning and applying my experience and education.

My job was hands on. I Always had to be prepared for lab lectures and lab preps. I was expected to be a good teacher and have excellent lab safety and prepping habits.

Cons

Job was 'nte' the semester.

Exciting, fun place to work

Interned in Athletics and it was everything you'd guess. Incredible organization and machine they have going in Tuscaloosa. Thoroughly enjoyed and great experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alabama. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare University of Alabama with

• University of Alabama
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?