University of Alaska

University of Alaska Employee Reviews

United States63 reviews
You meet great people who and the supervisors you end up having become great mentors and references. ANSEP pays well for student workers and is very flexible.
Be prepared to do research studies. Good learning opportunities. The management works well with employees. The hardest part of the job is intellectual challenges.
I am currently in the Adjunct Pool for composition classes. The pay isn't exceptional, but the autonomy is nice. Do expect to be evaluated, but the college allows a refreshing amount of self-governance (with guiding topics and objectives, of course). Naturally, the position is based upon need, so some semesters have two classes available, others none.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Not steady
Learned a lot, honed my skills as a teacher and member of the department, and learned a lot about a lot of stuff and things, about a lot of really good stuff.
R/V Sikuliaq is a good ship to work on. The pay was decent and the crew is great. Permanent employees are required to ship out a minimum of 7 months and management pushes for 8 months
Pros
Relaxed ship, good food
Cons
No raises or promotions
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Lack of training due to lack of staff. Supervisor is hard to work for and inconsistent.
Implement effective and responsive iData administration process refinement and documentation.

Practice and improve technical writing and analysis, to achieve the ability to produce analysis or technical documents independently and with minimal edits.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of training
Great enviorment for people just starting out in customer service and or marketing and sales. Great learning enviorment and great people. They helped teach me my limits for working along with how to work in tight areas with multiple people. Happy enviorment though. My suprivisor would always tell us the goal and give awards when we would reach it.
Created letters, wrote reports, answered phones, filed correspondences, screened visitors, created forms, maintained database, monitored supervisor priorities and requests
The work at the UAA Aleutians interior campus provides access to education for students in a remote location, which is positively affecting the quality of life for rural residents.
Pros
Friendly employees.
Cons
Low pay, low benefits.
The hours are flexible and the management is very understanding with students and college classes. The work is time filling and engaging. The culture and environment are wonderful and friendly. Pay just isn't enough for living conditions and costs in the area.
Pros
Fun, Engaging, Understanding, Friendly
Cons
Not enough income
I worked with the Physics faculty as a sabbatical replacement. The work was fine and the department was supportive. The University was marginally supportive and was uninterested in a permanent hire. I was able to set my own hours as long as I got my work accomplished.
This job was great! I had the opportunity to work alongside professors from my specific field so it made the work rewarding. I was exposed to technical analysis and a rigorous examination of datasets before deciding they were accurate and ready to use for estimation.
If you can work under a tremendous amount of daily stress, can deal with executive and management bully environment, and be in fear for your job year to year, then this is the place for you. Good Luck!
Pros
6 credit Tuition, however, no time to do the classes
Cons
if salary, expected to work from home addition to workplace
liked the job never boring keeps you on your toes. very busy when school is in session summers are still a bit busy at times but mostly very slow and have to work less hour to make up for the school year
I was just a student employee. Staff was very accommodating to me. I can't generalize to being an adjunct or something like that based on my experience.
Pros
Good for students
Cons
No benefits and limited pay
University of Alaska was an excellent place to work and it was very intellectually stimulating. I am grateful for such a thoroughly rewarding opportunity to be employed there.
Some people tend to only secure their individual benefits rather than caring much about their team and other people around.
However, the university has some other services to offer, which makes employees feel a bit sense fo support.
Based out of Statewide Office in Fairbanks, was responsible for all real estate matters for 3 main campuses and 13 satellite campuses. Negotiated complex agreements requiring chancellor and Board or Regents approval for any transaction over $100,000.
Pros
Traveled all over Alaska.
Cons
I should of taken my fly rod.
I enjoyed every aspect of this job: reviewing syllabi, organizing special events, outreach to teachers, performing other duties as assigned. It was a great team and department to work with.
Pros
The team members became good friends.
Cons
There was little opportunity to advance.
If you are a Nationally Certified Medical Assistant or a Medical Assistant with any experience this position will not allow you to utilize your skills.It would actually be to your detriment to work there.It's unfortunate because it's an environment for learning being that it's a University. The duties ( vital signs for 4 to 6 providers, supply ordering,front desk back up, to name a few) given to the Medical Assistant could be preformed by a Certified Nurses Assistant or a trained Lay person. In addition the Director of the clinic excessively micromanages the nursing staff ,I repeat Excessively Micromanages the nursing staff it's absolutely ridiculous. If you have taken he the time to read this review and you decide to apply anyway you're doing so at your own risk.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Director micromanages, Skill not utilized
It was a good place to work. They are a little behind in their technology since it is Fairbanks. You have to pay for parking and you get some benefits as a UAF employee. Cheaper gym fee and free bus rides.