University of Alaska Employee Reviews

Bully Management
Audio/Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 10, 2018
If you can work under a tremendous amount of daily stress, can deal with executive and management bully environment, and be in fear for your job year to year, then this is the place for you. Good Luck!
Pros
6 credit Tuition, however, no time to do the classes
Cons
if salary, expected to work from home addition to workplace
challenging job
SENIOR SOUS CHEF (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJuly 2, 2018
liked the job never boring keeps you on your toes. very busy when school is in session summers are still a bit busy at times but mostly very slow and have to work less hour to make up for the school year
I was just a student math tutor
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJune 11, 2018
I was just a student employee. Staff was very accommodating to me. I can't generalize to being an adjunct or something like that based on my experience.
Pros
Good for students
Cons
No benefits and limited pay
Excellent for career development
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 31, 2018
University of Alaska was an excellent place to work and it was very intellectually stimulating. I am grateful for such a thoroughly rewarding opportunity to be employed there.
Lack of teamwork attitude
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKApril 18, 2018
Some people tend to only secure their individual benefits rather than caring much about their team and other people around.
However, the university has some other services to offer, which makes employees feel a bit sense fo support.
Statewide director for day to day real estate management.
Statewide Director (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMarch 6, 2018
Based out of Statewide Office in Fairbanks, was responsible for all real estate matters for 3 main campuses and 13 satellite campuses. Negotiated complex agreements requiring chancellor and Board or Regents approval for any transaction over $100,000.
Pros
Traveled all over Alaska.
Cons
I should of taken my fly rod.
This was a fun and productive team to work with.
Professional Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 4, 2018
I enjoyed every aspect of this job: reviewing syllabi, organizing special events, outreach to teachers, performing other duties as assigned. It was a great team and department to work with.
Pros
The team members became good friends.
Cons
There was little opportunity to advance.
Applicant Beware
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 14, 2018
If you are a Nationally Certified Medical Assistant or a Medical Assistant with any experience this position will not allow you to utilize your skills.It would actually be to your detriment to work there.It's unfortunate because it's an environment for learning being that it's a University. The duties ( vital signs for 4 to 6 providers, supply ordering,front desk back up, to name a few) given to the Medical Assistant could be preformed by a Certified Nurses Assistant or a trained Lay person. In addition the Director of the clinic excessively micromanages the nursing staff ,I repeat Excessively Micromanages the nursing staff it's absolutely ridiculous. If you have taken he the time to read this review and you decide to apply anyway you're doing so at your own risk.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Director micromanages, Skill not utilized
It was a nice place to work with a great view of Fairbanks
Fairbanks - HR Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJanuary 7, 2018
It was a good place to work. They are a little behind in their technology since it is Fairbanks. You have to pay for parking and you get some benefits as a UAF employee. Cheaper gym fee and free bus rides.
Good
Advising Desk (Current Employee) –  Soldotna, AKJanuary 5, 2018
I like working for this OCmpany as they accomidate all the student workers schedules as best they can. Everyone is so friendly and i feel like I can fit right in.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
less hours
Decent Student Employment
EVENTS SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 3, 2018
This was a pretty easy going and flexible student gig to have over in Fine Arts. Support staff, administration, faculty, and management were all easy to work with.
Positive work environment.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 16, 2017
My personal experience with working for the University of Alaska was a positive one. Great co-workers and a positive work environment. The hardest part of the job was with the slowed Alaska economy things at the University were becoming a little difficult as changes and cuts to the budget brought down morale.
school
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 12, 2017
I love learning. I made a lot of friends who will be friends for life. and I fell in love with medicine all over again. i like to provide patient care which is why i decided to be a nurse but i want to specialize and advance my license.
Poor Management, Poor ethics, underprepared students
undisclosed (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKOctober 10, 2017
Administrators do not do their jobs and are only interested in attracting and keeping students-- will accept anyone and then keep them in debt. One of the lowest ranked universities in the nation for graduation rates. Rules and policies are hardly ever followed. Staff is expected to go overboard at all times. Once you are older and make a decent salary they push you out to hire people willing to work for less. They have no respect for credentials or experience can't stand by anything they say. A pretty lame place full of blowhards, wannabes, and the habit of hiring their own graduates and relatives. This is for sure a non-intellectual college. Thinking and reading not encouraged.
Pros
Shortened summer hours
Cons
Uninspiring and very mediocore place
Excellent Experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKOctober 8, 2017
In the four years we were in AK I worked at the U and I loved every moment of it, but it is all in the office you are in. I was in a great office that was managed by great people. It was an experience that shaped my future professional life.
Great!
Temporary Fiscal Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 2, 2017
It was a great place to work. A great place to gain experience in accounting. There are expectation to perform and still be competitive to work well as an employee.
Pros
A state job
Cons
It took a while for benefits to kick in.
Good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 29, 2017
Excellent teacher to student ratio in courses. A small department with a handful of excellent professors. Unfortunately, the department has lost some excellent professors in recent years.
Professors I worked with as a teaching assistant were understanding of my own course load.
The most enjoyable part was working with students in a lab setting and seeing the "A-ha!" moment when something clicked for them.
The hardest part of the job was being flexible for students that needed a bit of wiggle room to succeed in the semester and then watching them choose not to take advantage of the last chance to turn assignments in.
Pros
Student teacher ratio, hands on labs, practical projects
Cons
Could use wider variety of course topics
excellent place to work
Fairbanks Parking Coordinator under the Office (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 9, 2017
This job was a great place to obtain skills and had many advancement opportunities. I was given great benefits and my supervisor was great. There is a great atmosphere and the people are all very friendly.
Excellent workplace for a single mom raising kids or any family.
Fiscal Technician III (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJuly 30, 2017
The U is the most family oriented employer that I have ever experienced. When my children were young they allowed me flexibility to change my schedule when there was an activity, school function, sporting event that I had to get my children to and allowed me to make up any lost work hours on days off so my paycheck would never be short.
I process 8 - 12 expense reports daily and work my hardest to be extremely accurate and proactive for the traveler along with following the Rules and Regulations of the University.
I have always enjoyed the travel industry, I have worked in it for many years with a few different companies and have always went right back to it. I love travel from processing it for others to play or for work/research it keeps me active in the world and my travelers come back from their trips and tell us about their journey, experience and a research, it is all very interesting to me.
Pros
Excellent benefits package.
Cons
Na
Difficult but rewarding
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJuly 19, 2017
The environment can be very demanding, as you are basically being a babysitter to college students, but the reward and benefits make it completely worth it.
Pros
Rewarding experience, free board, meal plan deals
Cons
Always working