University of Alaska Employee Review

View all University of Alaska reviews

The university environment, what could be better...
Professor Asst. (FWS) (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 15, 2014
I worked for a professor as her student assistant while attending University of Alaska, Anchorage (UAA). My job was challenging, which I enjoyed immensely. As a Federal Work Study job it had to be outside my field of study, and it was. I was an English major and the department I worked in was related to the Nursing program.
My job was to assist the professor with grading papers, formatting tests, filing, grade recording, etc. I learned enough about how to read the subject matter and summarize to be able to create tests myself which I then gave to the professor for a final approval. I found a system that made this very efficient and the questions range from very easy to difficult. As far as management goes, the professor I worked with was the sweetest person in the world and a very good teacher.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working one-on-one with some of the students who were having problems working with some of the computer programs necessary to do their coursework. Their gratitude was a tremendous reward.
The hardest part of the job was spell-checking scientific words, you might have it spelled right, but one letter is off and it means something totally foreign to your subject.
Pros
The university environment, surrounded by knowledge, lots of treats from students.

Other University of Alaska Employee Reviews

Lack of teamwork attitude
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKApril 18, 2018
Some people tend to only secure their individual benefits rather than caring much about their team and other people around.
However, the university has some other services to offer, which makes employees feel a bit sense fo support.
Applicant Beware
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 14, 2018
If you are a Nationally Certified Medical Assistant or a Medical Assistant with any experience this position will not allow you to utilize your skills.It would actually be to your detriment to work there.It's unfortunate because it's an environment for learning being that it's a University. The duties ( vital signs for 4 to 6 providers, supply ordering,front desk back up, to name a few) given to the Medical Assistant could be preformed by a Certified Nurses Assistant or a trained Lay person. In addition the Director of the clinic excessively micromanages the nursing staff ,I repeat Excessively Micromanages the nursing staff it's absolutely ridiculous. If you have taken he the time to read this review and you decide to apply anyway you're doing so at your own risk.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Director micromanages, Skill not utilized