University of Arizona Employee Reviews

sucked
Research Assistant / Interm Professor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 15, 2019
conducted DXA and bioelectrical impendence for research purpuses. also assessed resting metabolic energy expenditure which occured at 3-4 am. Name Wasn't included in research paper which was really kkrude adn a fo pa
Pros
cool equipment
Cons
early hours
Great Research Assistance
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 12, 2019
I worked as a research assistant during my time as a Master's student. The professors and administration were great and I had no complains during my time there.
Good experience
Graduate Assistant, Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 3, 2019
I was a Teaching Assistant, and having studied at other universities, I would rate the bureaucracy slightly better than some of the other universities that I have attended.
Wonderful place to work
Financial Services Specialist, Senior (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 1, 2019
I love it. Great place to work. Great communication. Great staff, faculty and management. Great benefits. I would recommend this place to anyone. I plan to retire from here.
Productive and fun.
Tech Lead Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 27, 2019
Working in the IT department at the U of A was awesome due to the workplace, problem solving skills, and flexible schedule. I would recommend the job for any student.
Productive, Collaborative and fun to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 25, 2019
University of Arizona is a relaxed place to be in work wise. The work is slow paced and a lot of importance was given to building upon the basics, in order to lay a foundation for working ahead. A lot of career growth options were available as well. The management was very nice. Also, Tucson, AZ is a big city a with a lot of options to explore for all and cheap city to stay in as well.
Hard work in greenhouses
temporary project manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 17, 2019
As a student worker, pay was minimum, but the work was hot and demanding. Plants don't take a break from growing, so I had to be available at any time. They were flexible enough to ensure work did not conflict with studies.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Hot, dirty, demanding work
Work was challenging yet rewarding. Daily operations brought many scenarios.
General Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZJanuary 14, 2019
Workplace is career oriented, management is supportive in education advancement, Management teams are collaborating with support staff safety training, staff input, benefits and advancement unlimited and is encouraged. Staff, student interaction is great.
Pros
Unlimited advancement training and education resources.
Cons
worh hours were very long at times, Required)
see below
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine (Former Employee) –  gaining medical experienceJanuary 8, 2019
I was working for the va hospital and i was an assistant professor of medicine at the U of A because of the combined resident program between the VA and the University of Arizona.
Pros
gaining lots of experience while teaching medicne
Cons
decrease in social life during working days
Instructor
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 7, 2019
I was a grad student and instructor at this institution. Generally, the work was great and I was provided with the tools to become a good teacher in future.
High turnover with low wages
Senior Accountant/Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 3, 2019
High turnover rate 94% with low wages where most people with the knowledge and expertise have left for greener pastures. Management is stressed and often not heard. Central services boasts a 94% turnover rate. No new employee training. Most people leave within 2 years due to annual budget cuts making it difficult for Campus and other business needs to be met. Would not recommend.
Pros
Local employment
Cons
Understaffed, budget cuts and increase in benefits
Excelente programa de quimica que requiere renovarse
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Pima County, AZJanuary 1, 2019
El programa de quimica necesita sangre nueva y tener un enfoque en desarrollar las carreras de los alumnos, tanto como el enfoque que tienen en desarrollar las carreras de los profesores.
Pros
Instalaciones de primer nivel
Amazing benefits
ATC for Club Sports (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 23, 2018
As a part-time employee, I appreciate the benefits package the UofA provides. I only work 20 hours a week for 9 months of the year and received full 12 months coverage for medical, dental, vision, and retirement income. Also, they provide substantial tuition waiver discounts as well. No other company will provide these benefits for part-time 20 hrs/wk employees.

There is great collaboration and teamwork within the Campus Health and Campus Recreation staff. Good, hard-working individuals who care about their jobs and love what they do.
benefits
Cons
low pay, and hired for a part time job that should be full time
Paid exceptionally well.
StealthWatch Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 18, 2018
Management had difficulty assigning polices and work instructions for network security. Had 3 different managers in the short time I was there. Continuity and employers goals were loose.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Management was lacking in a specific goal.
Nice campus and excellent research institute
Graduate Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 16, 2018
Nice campus and excellent research institute. Friendly people working the lab, with plenty of undergraduates interested in science. Strong team of professors.
Pros
Nice campus and excellent research institute
n/a
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 6, 2018
babysat residents in dorm, fun coworkers and work environment, was not very fun, had to make bulletin boards, waste of time in most cases, again baby sitting
helpful and new experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  studentNovember 28, 2018
Very intreeging to attend food safety classes and learn how to handle food properly . Got to meet a variety of people and undergo labs . Viewed how food is brought back to our plates from where it origniated . Built my communication skills very well .
I hated to leave
Financial Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 27, 2018
Working in higher education is very structured but doesn't feel like a prison. Recognition was a priority and they appreciated their employees. Advancement opportunities were great!!
A great place to do research and get your degree!
Research Assistant, Paleolimnology (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 27, 2018
I've been at a PhD student at the University of Arizona now for 4.5 years. The Department of Geosciences is a great place to get an education and develop professional skills. I enjoyed all of my classwork as well as the research I performed for my dissertation.
Stressful and poor management
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 26, 2018
Typical day is interacting with students, overseeing student employees, attending staff meetings, answering emails, scheduling future meetings,assisting with marketing events, planning upcoming events.

I learned to multitask more efficiently, assist students in crisis, assist people with resources through the university, event planning from conception to execution, and scheduling meetings/collaborations with other university/community partners.

Poor management, lack of staff support, and inability to foster an equitable workplace environment in relation to workplace conflict.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Arizona. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight