University of Arizona
74Above average
4.3

University of Arizona Employee Reviews

United States901 reviews
I felt very welcomed, since my first day. If you talk to your boss about you needing time off for personal reasons she is very understanding. If there’s a problem you always feel safe to discuss it with other.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Hard to get more hours
I was let go after I had to take family leave. I was bullied by my supervisors and coworkers. Toward the end of my job, I was left with no assignments and just staring at my computer monitor. My supervisor made it clear that my disability wasn’t working for my position. Human Resources did nothing because these were people that brings grants to the university. It was a horrible experience.
I worked as a research and teaching assistant in the Department of Geosciences. My advisor and professors were great people to work with, and I learned a lot during my years there. It would have been nice to be compensated more (I only received a stipend), but I knew that what I signed up for going into it.
Spent 18 years at the U of A. There are departments that are pockets of optimism but for the most part there is no leadership. You need to fend for yourself. Don’t expect HR support: it’s only there to keep inept and incompetent administrators from being sued.
This workspace was extremely supportive and did a good job at allowing the job to be done in several fashions based on personal preference. I have grown tremendously and each day was never the same and the conflicts and obstacles were always different. Some calls happened really late at night or really early in the morning and I always had to be able to respond promptly and quickly while being responsible to report to the scene
The UA does not pay fair salary at all! They’re not competitive with the current market, they’re so outdated.

Now I know why the instructors are always upset and picking on students. If you’re not taking advantage of their employee benefits such as the free tuition, then it’s not worth applying for a job here
Hard to get promoted, low pay but life balance, time off is great.
Budget cycle driven, can be boring. Lots of women in management positions, not good or bad. You have to pay for your parking. Downtown Phoenix expensive.
There was a lot of flexibility between when to work which allowed a student to make their schedule. The research was effective and allowed for independent leadership with the project.
It's a university setting, in a culturally sensitive area. Work is stable and productive. Student, staff, and faculty oriented work. You must be adaptable to change.
There are lots of great benefits. The work can be rewarding. There is a great diversity in what kind of work is available. Also there is a great variety in environments. Some are less hospitable than others. I have had a very good time here generally.
I've been around UArizona athletics for over 20 years. The positive and encouraging culture in the UArizona Athletics dept. makes you enjoy coming to work everyday!
From my experiences, the managers are very willing to work around class or life constrictions. Overall, the people are wonderful and truly want everyone to succeed.
Good place to work depending on management and compensation. Very low chance of good pay and moving up the ladder. Beautiful campus. There’s a variety of careers to choose from.
Pros
Flexible hours. Large company. Good benefits.
Cons
Low pay compensation. Zero chance of getting raises or moved up that match job requirements.
The University of Arizona concessions stand has been a great place to work. Our managers always make sure we get things done, the right way, the first time, while still being able to have fun and joke around when appropriate. The only thing that could be improved is that sometimes managers don't communicate with each other. But each manager is great at what they do, and they always help us get the job done. The scheduling supervisor is always very understanding of the fact that we have other jobs and lives outside of concessions, and always makes sure we are available before putting us on the schedule for certain dates. Overall, it's the perfect place to work for me, being a college student.
Loved every minute working at the university of Arizona rec center. Everyone felt like a team and supported each other. Management was great, felt appreciated and needed while working.
I was part of a campus wide layoff due to budget cuts. I had created several efficiencies through vendor negotiations and downsizing number of vendors. Created vendor Training sessions for employees and increased sales. Created buying and training program with Art Department. Mentored several students from Marketing College
Siloed information requiring immense justification for strategic planning. Conservative long term planning. Supportive peers with immense levels of specialized insight into unique subject matters. Service based industry effected greatly by business partners. Change comes with persistence and long term objective measures.
You must be intentional about connecting with all the great people who work there. UA is working to increase institution wide diversity and inclusive excellence practices, because one of their main goals is to prepare students and faculty for the Fourth Industrial Revolution; a global community that will require people to be culturally competent and technologically savvy .
while working with the Turf Specialist crew, I was able to gain knowledge and workmanship over the 5 years i was there. The team you work with quickly becomes your family with how much time is spent with them.
The University of Arizona has many centers that are related to Multicultural backgrounds which offer the opportunity to get to know more about other cultures through talks and events.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Arizona. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight