University of Arizona

Graduate Researcher20 reviews
United States20 reviews

Found 20 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,034 reviews
universitystudentuauofacampusprofessortucsonfaculty

Fun place to work with good benefits.

Experience is highly dependent on your supervisor. Research can be demanding, but having a supportive PI can also make the experience extremely rewarding.

Decent place to work for

There are many opportunities to learn new skills and take over new projects. Work-life balance is generally ok. The company culture is good, and the manager is super helpful and generous.

University of Arizona insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Graduate Student

Overall a good place to study Impressive facilitiesWorkplace culture depends on department and PILike any job you get out what you put into itSummers in Tucson are miserable

Graduate school is nice

It depends on what department you are in but graduate school was a good experience. They have a good support system. The pay is also dependent on department.

Nice campus and excellent research institute

Nice campus and excellent research institute. Friendly people working the lab, with plenty of undergraduates interested in science. Strong team of professors.

Pros

Nice campus and excellent research institute

Graduate Student at the University of Arizona

The University of Arizona is a great place to pursue your academic goals. I was enrolled in the Cancer Biology Interdisciplinary Program, and I had the unique opportunity to collaborate in clinical trials. I was able to work not only in the lab but also to interact with oncologists. I highly recommend this program if you pursue an academic career in the field of cancer biology.

Pros

Seminars and Colloquiums in distinct areas of cancer biology.

Cons

The cost of living can be expensive for a foreign grad student.

Good place to work, but I am a student. I am not particularly inclined to review the university itself as an employer. The culture is typical of a University

Supportive Department

The German Studies Department creates a wonderful atmosphere to accomplish your academic goals. Most of the faculty is very accomodating and are available to help when you need it. The only con, is that the organisation of the GATs themselves. Allowing PhD students far too much power in supervising other teachers.

Research Assistant

Research projects were very open ended and self guided. Professors allowed graduate students to design and execute projects. Time commitment was not that demanding.

Good place to work as a student

The university of arizona is a good place to work if you are a student, because they will pay your tuition and give you some money for your stipend if you work as TA or RA

Fun research assistants to work with and flexible schedule

Worked as an undergrad research assistant. The grad assistants are smart, fun people to hang out with. There's a lot to learn and the the research can be nation-leading if in the right department.

Relaxed place to work

The place is very relaxed, hence less competitive, which is lovely. But when it comes to advancement in carrier, such a relaxed place not recommended.

Amazing

The life at this university is amazing with great mentors, resources and opportunities available to us. In just one semester, this place already gives me a feeling of belonging.

Grad-school is labile

Being a grad student at the University of Arizona on a fellowship has lots of variation. When everything is perfectly aligned (funding, projects, research, development, and classes) it is the most amazing experience possible. The faculty in the Electrical and Computer Engineering department are among the most intelligent people you'll ever meet. Generally you'll have a great deal of intellectual freedom. Each advisor is different, but mine let me direct my own research. This is good if you are self-motivated. One co-worker wasn't self-motivated and spent over 10 years with the same advisor, not graduating. The work became very difficult when funding sources were drying up. I wanted to change directions for my PhD research from my Master's work. Writing proposals can take 40+ to 80+ hours, which you don't get paid for, aren't guaranteed to win, and sometimes the university is too slow to submit the paperwork (they have to review grant proposals) so you're never even in the competition for funding.

Pros

Great place with lots of smart people.

Cons

When your funding & research aren't aligned, you'll be putting in 80ish hours/week

Excellent working and educational experence

The University of Arizona was an outstanding educational and employment training experience. The faculty, staff, employees, and students are without a doubt exceptional.

Pros

Excellent Scientific Training

Cons

The summer sun can be really hot! But if you can't stand the heat....

A Technician in Academia

Academia and industry are often difficult to compare. Work/Life balance is always good. The community of people are, for the most part, collaborative and nice to work with. Administration is fairly out of touch with the the needs of the research community.

Pros

Learning environment and collaborative people

Cons

Compensation is considerably below industry for technicians

It is an excellent university for research and graduate studies.

I am a student at university of Arizona. As a part of my course work i am doing a research in the field of Bio-medical Engineering. It is a great place for research and studies.

A strong research-1 university

University of Arizona is a strong R1 university. The Department of Gender and Women's Studies, where I received my degree, is comprised of dedicated faculty doing cutting edge research. Their service record is also impeccable and their staff and graduate students are passionate about education.

Students are fantastic, pay is pretty decent, and is an overall great experience.

Absolutely no place for international students. Residents of the country you are next

A professor can easily be influenced by someone else's opinion. No interest in motivating or helping students learn. Expect everyone to be having straight A's and absolutely brilliant. Lack of funding can have them all scheming and plotting to find reasons to remove you from a program. Worst people in life sciences department. (Molecular Biology (MCB) and Neurosciences). No work culture exists. Only misuse of power and position.

Pros

Reputation and ranking of University

Cons

Funding, misuse of power and non cooperating professors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Arizona. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.9Fairygodboss Score

70%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

80%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare University of Arizona with

University of Arizona Reviews by Location

Learn about University of Arizona in popular locations

Studying at The University of Arizona

Find out what it's like to study here.Read all reviews

University of Arizona reviews by popular job title

• University of Arizona