University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences logo
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Happiness rating is 66 out of 100Average

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Employee Reviews

Large institution with minimal forward progress due to leadership.

Growth is measured in number of buildings and satellite sites, not in retention of employees. Lack of clear direction from leadership results in employee turnover.

Decent benefits vs small hospital but toxic environment not enough to compensate

Toxic environment. Toxic positivity is rewarded. Pointing out inefficiency and suggesting improvements will get you berated. I was yelled at during a meeting for suggesting to fix something inefficient. Yelled at bc a pathologist complained about the way I was paper clipping papers. Worked to complete exhaustion on my shift in my dept because they don't bother hiring people if they see you'll work over time to lessen the burden of your coworkers. There's no recognition for anything other than punctuality. None for work ethic. They just want a warm body. It was the most miserable 11 years of my life. I kept telling myself it will get better because management always dangles that phrase in front of you but it never did.

Pros

Moderately better benefits than clinics

Cons

Toxic environment, poor communication from management, no recognition, pay for parking, food is expensive, no compensation for commute, can't move up unless you're unethical

Cares about patients, not employees.

The benefits are decent, not the best. Health insurance increases every year, as does the cost of living, while the wage you came in with years ago stays the same. The pay scale is WAY behind the national and state averages in every department. Administration promises increased wages are coming, but wastes money by hiring third-party companies to review whether we need raises when its obvious we do. Every year there is a new excuse why there are no raises. They hire new people with little experience, no experience, and no completed certification and pay them more than current employees who have been there for years without a raise. They wonder why people keep leaving UAMS when it's obvious they need to be paid more. They're tired of doing double the work for no incentive and training new people that get paid more than them coming in. Every department is overworked and understaffed. The company needs to prioritize the wages of the employees they ALREADY HAVE because that's why they are leaving. Instead UAMS scrambles to budget for sign on bonuses and higher wages to attract new talent to replace the excellent employees they already had. Most of this "new talent" is uncertified and have no experience. So if you get hired by UAMS make sure you get a wage you're comfortable having for the rest of your time there because its highly unlikely you'll ever get a raise or a promotion.

Pros

Tuition discount

Cons

low pay, constantly increasing healthcare premiums, no advancement, underappreciated employees

Poor management. No opportunity to advance.

Management was unqualified for position. Replaced MBA candidate with high school grad without experience in healthcare. Focus on non-productivity-oriented priorities (e.g. discussing movies). Upper management did little to curtail and enabled. No opportunity to advance given unserious culture. Multiple positions vacated, not filled, and lost to attrition.

Pros

Unpaid holidays. Lax atmosphere until issues arise.

Cons

See pros.

Great place to work but they need new equipment.

The Radiology Department has an EXCELLENT director and department manager. The staff is friendly and helpful and very easy to work with. When I was there, they had one digital portable that was pretty old, but I really don't know if that has changed now. I would gladly work there again and only left because I moved out of state.

Pros

Great staff (now)

Cons

Old equipment and small salary

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

If you are want to advance your career and make a decent pay DO NOT apply here.

This place is full of drama. The pay is probably the least for the medical field in this area. There is a lack of management. Supervisor show favoritism towards certain employees and believe everything that say even when it could be a straight up lie. This place is a poorly managed, poorly pay and training. Full of high school drama toxicity.

Pros

Flexible time off

Cons

Poor pay, poorly supervised

The good is the people I worked with. Management was terrible. It depends on who you know as to how you advance, not much of an advancement.

The workplace was located in one of the worst parts of town, right next to some sort of prison/jail. The pay was horrible until someone steps in and decided we were under paid. Management was a joke.

Pros

Good hours, no overtime required ever.

Cons

Pay was not up to par.

This company is a medical institution requiring continue progression in education for advancement.

University of Arkansas for Medical Science is an excellent teaching institution.The Nursing Program is 5-star. I would recommend the program to candidates interested in pursuing a career in nursing.

Pros

Excellent Nursing School

Cons

Low pay

Benefits are great, culture varies location to location

Overall UAMS is amazing. You have to deal with some bad eggs, usually in older staff who don’t like change. Benefits are awesome, especially 401k match!

Great

Great Perks. It is a great place to work. There is alot of learning and education given with area in the hospital. Great learning experiences here for any new grad

Jobs at University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences

See more jobs

terrible

i hated working there every day it was something different, people were not friendly and wanted to see you fail. work life balance was non existed, dont work there

I liked the challenge. Benifits

They make it hard on you when you are late. Even if it's 1- 3 minutes you get a mark. No matter if you had trouble with the bus that picked you up at the stadium. Marks should be controlled by the manager of the clinic. If there is a good reason it should not count against you.

Pros

I liked working there and wish I still did.

Cons

Short breaks and unreasonable dings for absences and tardy marks.

Positive Environment, Valued team member

UAMS has been the best job I have ever had. I have loved every minute of it since the day I started. I acknowledge that every hospital has its problems, and UAMS is no different, but it is an exceptional place to work. I feel valued as a member of the healthcare team and I feel that my work contributes to positive patient outcomes. I feel like I am truly contributing to something at UAMS.

Pros

Self-scheduling

Cons

occasional large patient assignment loads

Horrible place to work!

Management doesn’t half train employees and when employees make mistakes in their work, they STILL refuse to train you. Employee turnover is sky high and management refuses to see the reality of the multiple problems THEY are causing!

Pros

None!!

Cons

Too many to list

The pay was very good for the job.

I worked in the COVID contact tracing center off campus and it was a great/safe work environment. The managers were very helpful and easy to talk to. The pay was incredible.

Ok place to work if you have experience in what you are applying for if not cancel it!

Promotion is rare unless you know someone or have experience in what you are applying for very mediocre applicant picking process. The management in your department can hold you back until your current position is filled if they feel they will be short staffed or simply just don’t want you to leave

Pros

Benefits, pay

Cons

Organization in my department, management, promotions

Great 401k match, consistent hours, job security

I worked here for several years. Overall the pay for my job role (Patient care tech) is pretty low everywhere however, if employees were given yearly or even performance related raises, job satisfaction would improve.

Pros

Great 401k match, consistent hours, job security

Cons

Low pay, rare raises

Productive and fun workplace

It a wonderful job for a future career and growth. They require hard work but the rewards are great. It is a great opportunity to work at University of Arkansas for Medical Science.

Pros

Low insurance premiums and more

Cons

Short breaks

tough

hard pt assignment . 2 critical patients at one time. Manager on duty not helpful. Charge nurse unwilling to help when asked. Busy running desk assignments and talking with other staff.

UAMS was a huge disappointment!

I thought UAMS would be the gold standard in health care but my experience was pretty bad. Orientation was chaotic and unorganized. Nurses actually walked off during orientation due to the chaos. The training was horrendous. My trainer was self taught and didn't know all of the job duties. The blind leading the blind. Apparently, UAMS let's you transfer from your position before you train your replacement and then training is left to be done by whomever is willing to train the new person. It may be better in other areas but not where I worked. Good luck if you work there (insert sarcasm).

Pros

Pay is ok. Benefits are ok. 401k is great.

Cons

Poor leadership, poor training, unorganized

St

● OverallUAMS is a great place to work. This company has the best benefit package. UAMS is very diverse and everyone works well together. I’m glad to be apart of this team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight