University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
66Average

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Employee Reviews

United States697 reviews
Social Work
Good staff and teamwork. Good salary and benefits. Time off for CEUs. collaboration with a multidisciplinary team. Good location with onsite parking or bus system.
UAMS is a great environment with caring therapists and other staff that work together to help the community. I enjoyed my time there and the people I worked with greatly.
Challenging but Rewarding; great environment
Is is always busy and that keeps you on your toes. They respect the work life balance however and the office/floor environment is one of teaching, kindness, and unity. Loved working here and loved the family that I became a part of!
Great place to be a part of.
This organization is dedicated to giving back to the community and you can feel good being a part of that. There aren't many opportunities in Little Rock and this is one of the best here.
Unfair Leadership
Only a select few are chosen for leadership roles and these are usually the people that are friends of current “leaders”. The leaders are biased and don’t care about the employees. It’s a “top heavy” organization that places most of its emphasis on leaders and not the regular employee. People are fired or “reorganized “ at the whim of these so-called leaders who create gaps within the
structure of the organization each time the change. The organization is wasteful and inefficient.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
The White House In A Hospital
A place where you can learn if you thrive in a fast-paced, self-driven and very busy environment. The pay is below average of course and some supervisors can be very childish and micromanaging. Do your research before becoming employed here just to have a good idea of what you are getting into, if you find that it tickles your fancy then go ahead. Build your own opinion.
Great place to work.
I enjoy working for u.a.m.s. great people, great company. I am a registered medical Assistant. The Drs. Are great to work with. The coordinator is a great boss. The nurses are very helpful and informative.
Very busy facility
Positions place a high amount of stress onto employees. Only expect pay increases to be associated with position changes. Benefits are good compared to similar organizations
Dont pay good at all. Over worked under paid
This would be a good place to work if they paid more...the hours are flexible but the pay sucks. Its like you over worked and under paid. If they could raise the pay would be great
Productive and supportive
I work with an assistant dean that supports her staff. She does her best to make sure that everyone is being paid what they should be. She makes sure that each of her staff is appreciated.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences?
I loved working at
I loved working at UAMS!!!! Being a nurse isn’t just a job, it’s a calling. At UAMS I felt that I helped accomplish a mission in the care of patients. However, Management allowed racism and bullying to go on without any punishment; Saying there was nothing they could do.
My Department was unique
In the General Counsel's office, you see all sides of UAMS, both good and bad, fair and unfair. Other than that, specifically you should already know this from my exit interview.
People work here for the retirement
I was excited to work here when I started. Then budget and productivity concerns dragged me down. I feel everyone squeezed for productivity without the equipment or space needed for best patient outcomes. Service line delineation and grant money divides the haves and have nots in regards to space and equipment to perform their jobs. As positions are left, we are told we cannot justify a replacement and increasingly more work duties are piled on without additional incentives and/or compensation of time to perform new duties adequately. There are some wonderful people to work with here that care a lot about patients and their well being. In the end, if you are not a physician or researcher that can bring in grant money, you voice carries little to management. If you need to just buckle down on retirement and have some good health benefits, this is an ok place to work. Just keep a stiff upper lip and do the best you can with what you have.
Pros
benefits, retirement, name recognition
Cons
staffing, none to minimal clear communication on departmental budgets, no/minimal support to nursing moms, no/minmal support to working parents, poor work/life balance
Lack of diversity in executive leadership positions. Culture is not conducive for minorities. The average white employees becomes a director before the age of 30 years old. The average minority "Black" becomes a director after the age of 45 years old.
my coworkers are great
I have a biology degree but get paid as much as a janitor. I'm over worked and under paid. There are no pay raises so I probably leave soon. They talk about raising my pay but its all talk and no action.
Cons
under paid
It is an Okay workplace
There is a lot of red tape to have to deal with. Diversity is not paramount on the list of priorities at this job. Salaries are inconsistent and are not always equitable.
Great place to work. Especially for newly-grad Medical Assistants
This is a great facility to grow, especially as a new Medical Assistant. I currently work at an outpatient clinic, and I have great manager. However, there is a high turnover rate in my area of work.
Stable and Productive Environment
UAMS is a great place to work. In my 20 years i have been able to promote up through different areas of UAMS, such as Case Coordination as a Data Project Specialist to present as a Quality Assurance Performance Improvement Manager. I enjoy working at UAMS.
Toxic atmosphere
Managers who are not effective and will never leave. No support from management. Draconian management style, favoritism is the management style of this institution
Fun place
I loved working there. Everyone there was very nice and extremely helpful. The management was great. The work culture was great. Hardest part of the job was when other diet techs would not show up to work.
Little opportunity for growth and promotion
UAMS has excellent employee benefits to counter balance the fact the entire support staff is grossly underpaid what the national average is. If you are a hard worker, the odds of you being kept in the position you are in on a permanent basis (no promotions) is guaranteed! If you are not hired on as a manager then the odds of you becoming one is slim to none.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight