University of Beer

Working at University of Beer: 39 Reviews

United States39 reviews

funmanagementhourpaycompanygreatjobwork

High Energy Environment and Great Ambience for Enjoying a Beer

Co-Workers make every day a great day. Everyone is knowledgeable about what beers we have on tap. Everyone is easy to talk to and helps keep high energy throughout the entire day. We all want to have fun and create the best experience we can for our guests. Karaoke Night and Trivia nights are the best time to fly around and truly enjoy what ambience and quality service we provide.

Pros

Great for College Students with specific school schedules

Energetic company made for hard workers

My experience at UoB was very professional. There's a strong company culture and a good sense of teamwork that encourages everyone to work hard and be an "A-Player". They don't take that ethic lightly; people that slack off and don't contribute are paid special attention and offered training if they want to improve.I've had too many jobs in the past where slackers are given a free pass to the detriment of their co-workers, but UoB impressed me by taking their issues seriously.

Pros

Great Co-workers; Open Door Policy for Managers

Cons

Work Most Holidays; Strict Uniform Policy

University of Beer insights

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Time and location flexibility

Overall productive groups of people. Enjoy working here and everyone is so sweet. What makes this place is the people working here, friendly and outgoing.

If you can, work somewhere else

UoB is not a job you stay at. The turnover rate is incredibly high for a reason. I never once received a compliment from management, only comments in how I could be better or how I was doing my job wrong. The culture is SHOVED down your throat. Management is nice and will support you when you first start, but after 6 months, they will only talk to you if you do something wrong. You will be constantly walking on eggshells. The only good thing about this job is the ability to get quick bartending or serving experience and the coworkers. If you can get bartending or serving experience else where, I would.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Management, Culture

High quality people working together to provide high quality service

I fell in love with this company immediately. Starting from the owner down to the shift leads the goal is for everyone to have a great place to work. Expectations are high and everyone works together to meet them.Highlights of the job for me were: enjoying working with high quality people, guiding guests through their dining experience, and the mentorship from the best GM I’ve ever worked for.

Pros

Flexible schedule, advancement opportunities, employee discount, great tips, fun clientele, amazing coworkers

Cons

No nail polish allowed, natural colored hair only

Great place with great people

The people are great to work with and the customers are always amazing. The management is always willing to work with you on your personal needs and address any issues you have

Poor management constantly understaffed

The favoritism by management, the attitudes by management, the complete and utter disregard to those they don’t care for, truly makes it difficult to work. They schedule their favorites to open/close and assign side work with those favorites in mind. If one of those favorites doesn’t feel like doing what they were assigned, they will and have changed it to someone they don’t care as much for. The server turn around rate is so high I can only assume it’s due to the toxic environment. I’ve worked in plenty of restaurants before and have never had to deal with this problem. I really wanted to love it there and tried to stick it out but I couldn’t anymore. Stop making people feel less than because they are new or because you automatically decide you don’t like them. Lose the scowl on your face and stop getting angry when someone needs a day off. Give everyone a chance based on opportunity rather than you liking them best.

Worst job of my life

If i could give this place less than 1 star I would. The management is incredibly rude and inappropriate and the culture here is shoved down your throat. The most strict job I’ve ever had and completely not understanding. If your even 1 minute late you get punished for it. Expect to get lectured 24/7 and worked very hard while management and leads sit down all day. Nothing but empty promises and toxicity here

overall decent, but you're being screwed of your money

management absolutely loves to make you work as hard as possible to meet their standards while trashing on you the whole way for any slip up. Unreal expectations are set for the servers an you will constantly be reamed for not hitting their points. Management also takes between 50-60 percent of their tips each paycheck and does not disclose how their tip pooling system works. I asked multiple times and was always given the run around

UoB has absolutely ZERO value for their employees

First, it's important to know the job is not what it seems upon hire -- everyone begins as "barback" and works their way up despite the position you apply for.High turnover due to poor & egotistical management that creates a toxic work culture:1) RTO is rarely approved (for no reason) no matter how far in advance you request it. If traveling, they expect you to wait for approval to buy a plane ticket, however, approval is often denied or approved last minute and you are faced with consequences.2) Empty promises are frequent regarding promotions, hours and scheduling.3) Very high expectations are set and it could feel like punishment when they are not met.It is also important to know that tips are pooled and distribution is never disclosed.Overall, not worth working for a company that does not value you.

Unprofessional

Loved my coworkers/team, creative agency, and opportunity for growth. However, the President and a few Upper Management folks are explosive and highly unprofessional. I would have expect more decency and respect from the owners after putting years of hard work into this company.

Pros

Opportunity for Growth, Close knit team

Cons

Upper management, Unprofessionalism

Team Development

UoB is focused on team development and personal growth with all its team members. There is a comprehensive training program and clear path to promotion. The leadership team cares about the guest's and the team member's experience.

Fair compensation, but less than awesome work culture

Overall I would say I had a pleasant experience, but it was not the job for me. They actively work to promote from within, and to really find your place you must have a sense of hard work and dedication. You put your time in, learn as much as you can and you can find a good position. Slack off and be irresponsible and you wont last long.

Pros

Free Beer tasting for Front of House Staff

Cons

Many that are hired are ultimately unreliable and make work harder for others

Fun and fulfilling work environment.

I’ve been with the company for about five months and have already been promoted multiple times. UoB prides themselves in finding and retaining the best employees they can. They reward hard work and positive attitudes with advancement and promotions, not advancement based off seniority. Management always has an open door to discuss anything that may come up, whether that be financial issues, scheduling conflicts or just concerns or insights in general. UoB has an amazing training program that ensures all members of the team are knowledgeable, which allows everyone to be able to trust the rest of the team to handle their business and be successful. All in all great culture, quality product and a sense of family in this organization. Great company to work for.

Productive and fun place to work!

UoB challenges people to be better in their personal and professional lives. One of their core values is to, “leave things better than you found them,” this applies to the people that work with the company as well. Everyone is approachable and encourages your questions. Also free flight days Monday thru Wednesday!

Pros

401k, competitive pay, Free Flight days!

Cons

It’s a bar- weekend availability is a must.

a job not a career

ok if you have no experience pay can be decent but it's not consistent because it's heavily based on tips. most managers have no other experience and it seems there's a lot of politics and favoritism from upper management so so overall leadership is poor. there expectations are to high for what this job is. ok place to get your foot in the door but there's a lot of reasons turnover is high.

Pros

tips, coworkers, can come in with no experience and learn

Cons

no pto, low pay, no room to move up unless you want to be a manager and make the same amount as before, stressful, unqualified managers

Bad experience overall.

This place was probably the worst place I have ever worked at. Management was terrible, contradicting, rude and judgmental. Didnt make much tips.. was promised bartending hours and didn't get many. You have to pay for beer classes (out of your own pocket) before even being considered to bartend. I recommend not working here.

Pros

One shift beer, discounted food.

Cons

Poor management, difficult to schedule time off, micromanagement, stressful environment.

Massive turnover, mediocre management

UoB is overall a mediocre place to work. Upper management talks a big talk about teaching leadership, but doesn't know how to look in the mirror. There are a bunch of excessively strict policies for a small bar, and no one seems to know what they're doing. Listed pay rates are after tip and wildly inaccurate, and lots of people quit after not making what they expected. Hours get cut frequently if its slow, which is normal in the food industry, but tips are pooled and paid out based on your position and the hours you work, so sometimes you barely make more than minimum. The coworkers are nice, but the upper management is not. They're cliquey, micromanage, and basically bully the staff. They promote too fast for you to learn what's going on and will cut your hours or even demote you if you refuse promotions. They're also pretty two faced, and will lie to you and make empty promises to keep staff. They say flexible schedule but force people into quitting by not being accommodating.If you value work-life balance and want to like the people you work for, steer clear. Management is really involved, and not in a good way. Tips can be lucrative on busy nights and if you work there long enough (almost no one does), the benefits are good, but there's a reason no one has worked there longer than a few months.

Horrible company to work for, if you are desperate for money this will get you by.

Company treats employees horrible, management is terrible, tipping is all done via tip poll and they refuse to tell you how it's divided up. Easy to get server experience but don't stay long.

Pros

Easy to move up

Cons

Horrible management, no control over tips, inconsistent hours, inconsistent pay, limited employee perks, company treats you like you're worthless.

great coworkers, poor management

We had a great group of coworkers likely because we had a common enemy: management. Overall poorly handled with favoritism and a lack of organization.

Pros

If you like hours you’ll get them

Cons

No break area, very few benefits, poor management

There is a lot of opportunity for growth!

There has been a lot room to move with in the company. They encourage you to go for promotions and managers are always helpful. You're always learning something new.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Beer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits