University of California, Irvine Employee Reviews

Postdoc
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAFebruary 10, 2019
Ricco di opportunità nel settore biologico medico se si ha intenzione di restare negli stati uniti
Very busy clinic with not enough staff
Senior LVN (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 5, 2019
We are a very busy clinic without the support. There is a lot of micromanaging. If this decreased and work increased, the clinic would run more smoothly
Supportive learning environment with numerous experts in the field as faculty mentors
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 30, 2019
Working/training at UC Irvine helped me to develop into the scientist I am today. My thesis mentor and thesis committee took active interest in my project and my career goals.
Good first job experience. I enjoyed working there.
Food Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 27, 2019
Working at UC Irvine was a good first job experience. Due to the fact that they hire many student workers, they are used to training workers on site and were patient with me as I learned. Along with student workers, older full time workers also work at Pippin. These workers were professional, kind, and a joy to work with. They have been working there for many years and taught me a lot about how to work at the different stations at the dining common. The management team was firm and made sure we did our work while at the same time being patient and understanding. There was a great workplace culture. It felt like a family or a group of friends. Everyone got along and helped each other. If ever there was someone (management or a regular worker) who was acting inappropriately, they would be reported and either warned or removed from the site if their offense was bad enough. The hardest part of the job was dealing with very busy times of the day when there were lines of students waiting to get food. I had to learn to work fast but efficiently and to help out in other areas (like the dishroom) whenever needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping and getting to know customers. I learned a friendly hello or smile can go a long way.
Pros
Flexible hours, free meals, fun co-workers
Very Productive and fun.
LARC Tutor (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 7, 2019
Walked in and was always provided with snacks, constant communication with management and was helped a lot by more experienced staff members. Requires a lot of hard work and time commitment to succeed.
Amazing place to work for
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT III (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 4, 2019
This employer cares and seeks advancement for their employees. Great opportunities and amazing benefits. Co-workers, Supervisors, and Management care about advancement and self-improvement.
A high-quality workplace designed for cutting-edge research on Earth Sciences!
Junior Specialist in ESS Department (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 9, 2018
As a Junior Technician, my responsibilities are quite diverse depending on the project. Field work, laboratory work, data analysis, and organization/management of the lab website were my primary duties. This position served to provide a hands-on preview for my graduate-path and research focus interests. I have not only got to work with an assortment of equipment for field-work purposes (collection of trace gas emissions), but also had the rare chance to work in another state as well. It was a nice experience in getting to work in grad student projects and participate in lab-group discussions on how to advance our research. The hardest part of the job was the need for me to actively adapt to new demands for research analysis and potential issues in fieldwork. I find the hands-on work in the field and lab to be the most enjoyable aspects of my job.
Good place to do Biomedical Research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 3, 2018
I loved my time working with 2 professors at UC Irvine. I learned broad skills that are helpful for my development. Courses offered were useful and the professors were friendly.
Top Ten Employer in Southern California
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 29, 2018
Management is extremely supportive. All of the employees are best friends. Excellent salary. Excellent benefits. It is a pleasure and a privilege to teach the very best students in Southern California.
University is a big highly political place
Assistant Professor of Surgery (In Residence) (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 26, 2018
For a great long time, I had nothing but fun. Though I worked long hours, the work was gratifying and recognized by my superiors and peers. I was encouraged to do research and to publish. I remember this time as the most fun of my life.
Pros
Everything but the politics
Cons
The politics
productive
STUDENT TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 11, 2018
learned a lot from the research here and helped my legal research and writing skills which will help me in doing what I want to do later on: i.e., government work.
Pros
competitive
Cons
competitive
Great place to work!
Risk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Orange, CANovember 7, 2018
UCI is a great place to work, mentor, and receive great tools for work, life balance, and community service. I have learned about oncology administration, risk management, and regulatory affairs while working here. The hardest part of my job is dealing with pesky attorneys. The most enjoyable is working with the rest of the UCI family and doing workshops.
Pros
community discounts and perks
Cons
commute
secure, great atmosphere and benefits
Irvine - Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 30, 2018
Really regretted leaving UCI, such friendly coworkers and great benefits. If you are looking for a secure job with possibly sacrificing some job advancement this is a great place!
Intense Research and Teaching University
University Lecturer (Chemistry) (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 28, 2018
Typical United States research culture - if you are clever and creative, and willing to work 12-16 hour days, 7 days a week, then you will absolutely find a career path here. The chemistry faculty is, in my mind, one of the best in the world. The mass spec facility is equipped with excellent instruments, and expert staff to operate them. The NMR facility includes cryo 600 and 800 MHz magnets, and can meet just about any reasonable request. The physcial sciences store room is a little expensive; be prepared to order everything direct from the supplier.

A really great school. Would recommend to anyone wanting to pursue a research position at any level.
Pros
Inspiring leaders
Cons
Expensive housing area
Productive and Supportive Work Environment
Graduate Student Tutor (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 26, 2018
A typical day at work involves going to lecture, holding office ours, or teaching a discussion section. Towards the end of the academic term, I am also tasked with the responsibility of grading.
Awesome company to work for
Supervisor/Administrative Analyst (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 17, 2018
UCI was a great company to work for. Had to leave to care for a family member. all around great company.
That's all I want to say about UCI.
Company was great to work for
Many Opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 16, 2018
There are many opportunities to work as well as socialize and play on campus. The Professional Opportunities are vast. There are social and professional opportunities outside of work. There are plays and concerts. There is a state of the art gym available to student's, staff and faculty. There are sports clubs to participate in.

Human Resources provides classes and other ways to move up the professional levels on campus. Human Resources encourages employees to move to different departments in order to develop professionally.
Pros
Open and encouraging environment
Cons
Most of the staff positions are 8 AM to 5 PM
Working with books
Stacks Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 11, 2018
Normally I sorted, organized and shelved books; helped customers; assisted in closing of the library; assisted in some projects. There were lots of squats and eyes often got tired after a couple of hours. It's pretty repetitive job. Yet I had a really nice manager and hours are very flexible. In my opinion, this job is good for any student who want to have a good for balance between studying and working. Some perks are that some books are really interesting to look at. :)
Good experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 8, 2018
It can be stressful if you have too many students in class that you have to grade, but at the same time you get to learn new things as you sit and learn with the undergrads.
Great place to learn and grow
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 6, 2018
I learnt a lot during this internship and my program here at UCI. The professors are really great and extremely helpful. The fellow students are equally smart and there is always a friendly competition which keeps us on our toes. Overall great experience.