University of California - San Francisco Employee Reviews

Great Culture, Innovative environment, Opportunities to grow
Director (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 16, 2018
As part of the UC system, offers highest salaries and benefits. Work in a culture that supports and seeks innovation. Supports progressive thinking. Professional environment supports life-work balance.
was a great place to work wish I did not leave
Senior Collections Rep (Former Employee) –  MGBS BUILDINGMay 16, 2018
A great and caring place to work you always knew what was expected of you. they were concerned about their employees.Ergonomic desk and chair as they were concerned about your health.
Pros
ergonomic equipment and caring people
Cons
long train rides to work
Productive and fun
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 12, 2018
Highly intelligent and driven coworkers. Great support in scientific research. Great amenities and housing. Very convenient shuttle system. Many opportunities to expand your training beyond academia - many workshops and business clubs.
Cons
No affordable childcare
great experience opportunity
LVN (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 8, 2018
Great opportunities for psych experience. Nice people with good intentions and willing to help. Good client care with follow through. Great work hours and vacation time.
Pros
Great client care
Cons
Poor training, unclear protocol policies and procedures
Contracted Employee
Profee/OP Auditor (Former Employee) –  RemoteMay 4, 2018
I was a contracted employee and my issues were more with the hiring company and not with UofCSF. However the contract was not ready to work when we were hired on and we waited 6 weeks before it even started.
Pros
Reliable paycheck
Cons
Not organized, job responsibilities change, never can quite believe management
UCSF was a really great experience
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 1, 2018
The UCSF Center of Excellence in OB/Gyn was awesome. Very professional environment, diverse, all about health and better wealth within. Excellent programs, professors, directors, staff, and interns. I would love the opportunity to work with them again.,
Productive and creative workday
CIRM Internship (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 30, 2018
In the morning I used to talk to my supervisor and inform her about my plan for today. Then I would go to cell culture room where I would check the cells, and perform some tissue culture experiments. I would also do some CRISPR cloning, PCR, gel electrophoresis.
I learned how to take care of embryonic stem cells, how to thaw, passage, freeze, transfect, select the cells. I also spent lots of hours under the fluorescent microscope to visualize the cells, take pictures and select the cells.
Pros
creative enviroment
Extremely busy as it was a small office of dedicated staff who had worked in admissions for many years.
Academic Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 28, 2018
I worked for ten years in the UCSF School of Medicine, the first two years in Medical School Admissions Office where I worked with the applicants who came to the school for interviews with the Admissions Committee. Thirty applicants were interview each week starting in October and ending a the end of March. It was an amazing experience to work in this environment, UCSF is ranked as the number 4 medical school by US World and New Report, and it's top notch. I can't say it was a hard job as it was so enjoyable to meet the applicants and through data entry, learn their stories and lives.
A real inside look at medical school admissions and the three staff people who I reported to, along with the Vice-Dean of Admissions, were so experienced and easy to work for and with.
Pros
An inside look at a major medical center's medical admissions office
Cons
The salary was too low for my expenses of living in the very expensive Bay Area.
Work Place
Nutritionist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 24, 2018
It is definitely a great place to work at. There are no benefits un til you are any kind of career meaning +1000 hours+Evaluation for 50% (20 hours minimum guaranteed weekly) or Full time 100%. Work environment is overall fast paced and can be competitive depending what branch you are in. This is also a determining factor when it comes to job advancement.
Pros
Nutrition gives $11.00 a day for food
Cons
Not enough hours
Blah
Contract Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 16, 2018
This is a very large bureaucracy, and nothing happens very quickly. For lack of a better term, it is also a very cheap company. Keep color printing to a minimum, good luck finding a supply closet to get a pen... There's a bunch of things constantly going on at once, and there is not a corresponding sense of urgency from many people to see that everything gets done.
Pros
Clock in, clock out, live your life
Cons
Dead-end, unless you are fully committed to being a lifer in this monstrous organization
Hard place to work
Human Resource Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 15, 2018
Not friendly;
small confined H.R. area
needs updating in files; old stuffy
Director was not welcoming
Supervisor gave great support as mentor
easy work
Pros
BART accessible
Cons
Difficult Director
A Job to settle down for
Float RN (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 10, 2018
I loved my job at UCSF. Of all the hospitals and managers I've worked for, UCSF was beyond the most amazing. I would have never left the organization if it wasn't work school.
Pros
culture, management, pay
Loved working at UCSF
Senior Research Associate/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 23, 2018
UCSF is an awesome place to work! They provide you with work-life balance, have a clear chain of command and are supportive of their employees. You'll get to meet a lot of brilliant folks while there.
Good finance department
Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 15, 2018
This was a contract job, specifically to review a large number of contracts between UCSF and research entities such as other universities or private medical institutions. The contracts were often very large, hundreds of pages on paper exclusively. We tried to analyze for collectibility, there wasn't anything left as all contracts were well over five years old, were considered closed and paid by the other parties, and there was no apparent substantial grounds for further collection. The University was still carrying a receivable number for all these contracts, in short, erroneously.
Pros
Interesting contracts to analyze
Cons
Ultimately frustrating project
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 27, 2018
This is a great place to work! I found that the organization cares about your success; as well as, your health and well being! This work culture of this organization is excellent!
gained research experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 27, 2018
Was able to gain a lot of experience in the research field working with different participants. Allowed to openly and closely work with the amazing Principal Investigator.
Different Locale Culture
Grant Administrator/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 19, 2018
Working for UCSF was a learning experience. San Francisco is very different than Chicago. The atmosphere was more laid back but responsibilities were designated as desired by superiors.
Great Place to Work
Radiology Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 19, 2018
I learned a lot at the job and hope to be in similar work situation in the future. Management was flexible with my hours and respect their employees when pursuing other career endeavors. When I first started there, most of my co-workers were welcoming and were patient with me when it came to training. I learned to time management and how to address patients. It can be stressful, but when it does you can your co-workers for help.
Pros
positive workplace culture, 1 hour lunches, healthcare
Cons
Paid parking, or moved your care every two hours
Finance Analyst II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 16, 2018
Very busy work day. Reconciliation of your accounts are very important in order for you to have a good report. Part of this jobis the once a year Consolidated budget that is implemented by the university.
Pros
supportive co workers
Cons
micromanaged supervisor
productive and high energy work environment
Senior EVS Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 6, 2018
The hardest part of the job was losing patients and meeting last minute deadlines. However the staff is united and supportive which balances the atmosphere and enables quick bounceback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California - San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.5Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

University of California - San Francisco Reviews by Location