University of California - San Francisco Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Generally collaborative environment. Postdocs are underpaid, as expected
Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 3, 2018
This is the place to do postdocs. People are friendly and generally open to discuss science and collaborations. The contract is protected by the postdoc union and they are very helpful. Your experience may vary highly depends on your PI/boss, however.
skills are not recognized, instead, employees who please their bosses so much that their nose turns brown get promoted
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 22, 2018
Morale is very low, skilled and experienced employees are not recognized. The politics get in the way of a progressive and productive day.

Micro management exists in an Institution that is recognized as #1 federally funded research, disabling 100% productivity.
Great place to work, world class science
Full Specialist, Step 1 (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 19, 2018
UCSF is a wonderful place to work. I've truly enjoyed my 15 years here and I will miss it. It is home to some of the finest academic research in the world, and I loved being a part of it.
Na
Research Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 13, 2018
Overall a great place to work. I sincerely do feel valued as an employee. The environment is developmental and supportive. There’s plenty of room for growth.
Excellent university for any career stage
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 12, 2018
I highly recommend UCSF as an institution to advance your career in research. Researchers here have access to state-of-the-art resources, support staff, and excellent mentors.
Good pension and benefits but unfavorable office culture
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 11, 2018
There is a balance between work and life and the hours are not excessive. There is a problem with unproductive employees who are very hard to dismiss once they pass their six-month probation. Office environment and IT infrastructure are flawed and often malfunction. Management is very political and often plays favorites.
high end and best scholar gathered
Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 27, 2018
best scholars around the world gathered, and you can try very nice paper in that place. people are very nice and welcoming. They are domestic and international.
A lot of turnover in my department
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 24, 2018
I've been here for 6 months and I've seen two supervisors and four staff members leave or request reassignment. It's a stable institution but this particular department has experienced a lot of flux.
Depends on the group
Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 22, 2018
UCSF is a great place to work and has a good mission to advance health worldwide. They value diversity and accept every type of person that is on the earth. Depending on your group it can vary on how good the environment is for the individual. In my area we have a supportive team that help one another out so it is a great environment.
Pros
Free Shuttles
Cons
You pay for parking.
Overall good experience
Wireless Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 21, 2018
really good experience during tenure with UCSF. Gained knowledge of multiple platforms in a large enterprise network that stretches across multiple campuses.
Stable Position with motivated colleagues
Solution Center Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 19, 2018
UCSF has been a place of incredible growth and learning. You are surround by a highly motivated group of individuals that truly care about healthcare and quality. I highly recommend them as an employer.
Great Culture, Innovative environment, Opportunities to grow
Director (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 16, 2018
As part of the UC system, offers highest salaries and benefits. Work in a culture that supports and seeks innovation. Supports progressive thinking. Professional environment supports life-work balance.
was a great place to work wish I did not leave
Senior Collections Rep (Former Employee) –  MGBS BUILDINGMay 16, 2018
A great and caring place to work you always knew what was expected of you. they were concerned about their employees.Ergonomic desk and chair as they were concerned about your health.
Pros
ergonomic equipment and caring people
Cons
long train rides to work
Productive and fun
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 12, 2018
Highly intelligent and driven coworkers. Great support in scientific research. Great amenities and housing. Very convenient shuttle system. Many opportunities to expand your training beyond academia - many workshops and business clubs.
Cons
No affordable childcare
great experience opportunity
LVN (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 8, 2018
Great opportunities for psych experience. Nice people with good intentions and willing to help. Good client care with follow through. Great work hours and vacation time.
Pros
Great client care
Cons
Poor training, unclear protocol policies and procedures
Contracted Employee
Profee/OP Auditor (Former Employee) –  RemoteMay 4, 2018
I was a contracted employee and my issues were more with the hiring company and not with UofCSF. However the contract was not ready to work when we were hired on and we waited 6 weeks before it even started.
Pros
Reliable paycheck
Cons
Not organized, job responsibilities change, never can quite believe management
UCSF was a really great experience
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 1, 2018
The UCSF Center of Excellence in OB/Gyn was awesome. Very professional environment, diverse, all about health and better wealth within. Excellent programs, professors, directors, staff, and interns. I would love the opportunity to work with them again.,
Great place to interactive with many people in different careers
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 30, 2018
Managing phone of general facility questions, reservations, and course availability. Identify concerns and work with leadership team to provide a resolution are such examples I do at work in a typical day. Everything I've learned is something I do everyday, and I think this is one of the hardest part because I love learning new things and gain experiences. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new members because I learn and capture new things from new people.
Productive and creative workday
CIRM Internship (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 30, 2018
In the morning I used to talk to my supervisor and inform her about my plan for today. Then I would go to cell culture room where I would check the cells, and perform some tissue culture experiments. I would also do some CRISPR cloning, PCR, gel electrophoresis.
I learned how to take care of embryonic stem cells, how to thaw, passage, freeze, transfect, select the cells. I also spent lots of hours under the fluorescent microscope to visualize the cells, take pictures and select the cells.
Pros
creative enviroment
Extremely busy as it was a small office of dedicated staff who had worked in admissions for many years.
Academic Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 28, 2018
I worked for ten years in the UCSF School of Medicine, the first two years in Medical School Admissions Office where I worked with the applicants who came to the school for interviews with the Admissions Committee. Thirty applicants were interview each week starting in October and ending a the end of March. It was an amazing experience to work in this environment, UCSF is ranked as the number 4 medical school by US World and New Report, and it's top notch. I can't say it was a hard job as it was so enjoyable to meet the applicants and through data entry, learn their stories and lives.
A real inside look at medical school admissions and the three staff people who I reported to, along with the Vice-Dean of Admissions, were so experienced and easy to work for and with.
Pros
An inside look at a major medical center's medical admissions office
Cons
The salary was too low for my expenses of living in the very expensive Bay Area.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California - San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss