University of California - San Francisco
Happiness rating is 73 out of 100

University of California - San Francisco Employee Reviews

United States472 reviews

Low stress, detailed training, friendly people. What's not to love?

The only thing I didn't like about the company was the commute, but that has nothing to do with the company. My job position was low stress, very easy, plus my co-workers and supervisors were friendly. I would love to work and retire at UCSF. I only quit because the commute (over 93 miles one way daily) was too long and gas is too expensive.

stressful place with hostel inveronment

this place is aweful. most of coworker are not trustworthy, always talk behind each others.Toxic environment of senior technicians bullying new employeesbehind each other. Training with different trainers where each of them have their own rules and methods and reject the way of each other’s rules in IV room. if you have issue with the tech who work only 2 months more than you, no one will back you up and very poor management.

University of California - San Francisco insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

Wonderful institution making a difference in the world

UCSF is flexible in work life balance while providing a fair salary. There is a definite feeling of contributing to the greater good. Drawbacks are more related to the location . Even though UCSF pays well, the logistics of getting to and from work (excessive traffic, impossible parking) plus the cost of living in the area make working for UCSF a little difficult.

Easy going place to work

This place is always busy, and fast turnovers. The team is not very friendly but maybe because they are so busy. I would go back to work here but management should do something about the overall moral between the staff members. Team work is always best.

The best place I've worked in my whole career as a nurse. Very pro nurse and pro evidence based practice. I would work there in a heartbeat again.

This is an excellent place to work. I've work at multiple places throughout the country in my career. I'm a seasoned nurse let's say that lol. I can tell a good place and a bad place real quick. This place is all about evidence based practice. They are very pro nurse and listen to their nurses. I had a good feeling going to work and I was very proud of where I worked at. They treat their employees well and the management was clear, fair, and balanced. This was in my opinion the best place I've worked at in my entire career. I was very sad to leave and would go back in a heartbeat if life gave me the opportunity again. I can't say enough good things about this place.

Practice Coordinator position can be stressful

Enjoyed working with patients and colleagues, however I felt constantly stressed. Management could be more supportive. Pay should be higher for the amount of stress associated with the position.

Pros

Patients

Cons

Unsupportive management

Its a good place to work

Ucsf is the best place to get all your training as a health care worker, it's the best hospital when it comes teaching and higher learning. As an employee (medical assistant) , anyone who's interested in learning has the opportunity to be knowledgeable, the doctors and staff are very eager to to show you or school you if you have a questions.

Pros

Excellent benefits! knowledgeable physicians

Cons

Short breaks, poor management

UCSF is horrible right now

Things have fallen apart with the new school of dentistry dean and the pandemic. Layoffs galore, impossible work conditions, and horrible management. Everyone good is leaving and only toxic management remain.

Benefits

Cons

Everything else

Research management

Work long hours, management team was not supportive.Work culture was okay mainly work from home.The best part of the job was to work from home.Lots of information to understand.

Incredible experience and the people I worked with.

I loved working there. Primarily night shift. Great experience and incredible colleagues to work with. Weekly meeting with continuing education. Still maintain friendships after all these years.

Pros

Education and teamwork

Cons

Parking

My co-workers were great.

They moved management around in my department and the last manager was not adequate for the role. There was no trust and people often felt belittled by management.

Easy on boarding and good benefits

I started working as a traveler and the crew I work with is great. There are many learning resources and my manager is pretty good in communication. I can see how senior UCSF have more priority due to the unions.

Pros

Good manager and team culture is a positive dynamic.

Cons

If you're new to UCSF-there are many policies to learn

Stable job and job security. Not a lot of opportunity of advancement unless someone retires, maybe not the best place to start a career. Overall a good place.

Supportive, engaging work environment

Great place to work. A lot of support from management, learning opportunities, and opportunities to advance within the organization. World-class research being performed, and feels fulfilling to take part in the work being done throughout the organization.

Pros

Engaging and fulfilling work, understanding management, many learning opportunities

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult to maintain

Supervisors did not micro-manage and provided great feedback

The culture was very inclusive of diverse backgrounds. The work environment was welcoming of sharing ideas. Your work contributes to the overall wellness of the community at some capacity.

Pros

Great benefits and pay. Meaningful work.

Good purpose poor execution

I'm currently a temp contract worker and Temps don't get fair treatment. Because of the pandemic I was told that there'd probably be furloughs and because of the hiring freeze they can't hire me. However they continue to hire Temps and I have workers here for a year now it was supposed to be a 6month contract to hire. Ucsf does great medicine and are cutting edge in a lot of areas but there's tons of mismanagement and poor organization. You do start to feel pretty expendable and just another cog.

Pros

Learning knew skills in research

Cons

Compensation, no benefits for Temps

Productive, professional, and considerate.

Higher education individuals I supported wear two hats at all times, Academic and Research. They work all the time on both subjects. I'm honored to work with such great minds.

Great Organization with Great people doing important work

Try coming in through the Temporary Employment Program. Exposure, to organization, still good benefits, and you may even get to try out your ultimate career position. I think this made the interviewing process less rigorous

Stimulating

I am able to refine and improve my class content and style based on student and administration feedback lending to a high quality program and student experience. The program supports faculty collaboration and innovation and incorporates past students into faculty and support roles.

Pros

Collegiality

Cons

Salaries

pay is good but management is horrible

they have manager that do you not know how to develop employees they rule over the employees like parent child relationships they violate many Ucsf policies and are never reprimanded they frown against Worker’s Comp. and punish you if you’re hurt if I could find another place to work I would but the pay is better here than at other UC systems

Recruiters stay away!

Let me start by saying that UCSF as a whole, is a great organization. I would have loved to work there long term, just not for the "Manager of Talent Acquisition". The Talent Acquisition team on the Campus side, is your classic Mean Girls scenario. I was told, by the manager herself, that she will only hire contract employees. The reasoning behind it is that the manager and her little minions only care about one thing, making the manager happy. If you don't care about that, or at least outwardly show/express that, then you aren't a "good fit" for the team. It's sad, but unfortunately true. Here's the red flag to look out for, count how many times they say her name during your interview. 3-5 times is acceptable if you're talking about her, they'll bring her up with every question you ask because no on is allowed to think for themselves, it has to be approved and signed off by her, including calling in sick. To be successful on this team, you better be ready to be a yes-person. I was for the first 9 months of my contract. During the last 3 months, I had the second highest req load, took on multiple projects, and was filling in, full time, for another employee that was out on medical leave. I was ASKED to do scheduling for another recruiter so that she can focus on Sourcing (even though sourcing is my literal role). I said I didn't have the bandwidth, unless it was for sourcing. I was then TOLD to do scheduling. I refused again using data. Side Note: I was also going through a personal issue that I mentioned to the leadership team, and after refusing the -

Pros

A few great coworkers!

Cons

Lots of politics, trust issues, micro-manager, lack of leadership, zero communication skills, no flexibility, not allowed to have responsibilities aside from the job, like children, a family, or spouse..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California - San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight