University of California - San Francisco
73Above average
4.2

University of California - San Francisco Employee Reviews

United States451 reviews
Most people work at UCSF because they want to. The PRIDE values drives the community there. Management can be hit or miss. Don't expect to be spoiled with free lunch every day, but occasionally you will be fed. Not bad overall.
Pros
High ranking name
Cons
Pay
Be willing to work with others and always stay on task to benefit the patient outcome. Production based environment, so be prepared to keep your numbers up.
Recommend this company to everyone because of the great values and benefits. The atmosphere and environment encourages growth and leadership. There are many departments and different campuses to grow in.
My job provides me the flexibility for work hours and gives me better bandwidth to multi-task. Management ensures that scientific training is balanced with leadership opportunities and mentoring role to build a complete portfolio.
Find that most Departments waste money paying people to come to work to do absolutely nothing. Feel like management in most Departments is unaware of what goes on in that department. Managers get paid for doing nothing.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
great academic center , and many resources of UCSF . teaching residents and students in medical care
advancing care practices and training

limited by funding and demand /need of patient is great ,
I learned A LOT and gained lots of skills, but very disorganized management, salary is not comparable to salaries in the Bay Area and EXTREMELY hard to get raises without a title change (I was even laughed at for asking), archaic policies and my department had no perks that are common to other companies in the area.
Your experiences at UCSF will depend on the department that you work for, your supervisor, and the basic structure of your work environment. Try to work in a department that has a lot of funding, such as transplant or oncology.
UCSF provides great work life balance. Great learning opportunity and great management. Very structured and clear goals defined. Loved the work environment.
I would love to stay but alas my temporary appointment has an end date. The work culture and community is good and makes for good relationships and positive workflow.
I will not suggest anyone to join UCSF if you are progressive and looking for making an impact.Culture is very unproductive and inefficient and management is non-reactive to positive changes and improvement recommendations,
Given that I'd worked there a number of ears ago, the culture and work environment may have changed for the better since that time. However when I was employed, nursing was cut-throat, competitive, poorly managed and mostly, a horrible place to work. At that time I would not have recommended anyone to work there. Support, advancement and career improvement was minimal.
Pros
Great location, a state job, benefits were okay
Cons
poor management, minmal staff support, a toxic environment, got paid once a month
Great opportunity to learn in a fast-paced environment, alongside dedicated people with a unifying goal of providing the best care possible in a caring efficient and safe manner.
Cons
parking difficulty or high parking rates
UC Reagants have too much power. The move to mission bay was perhaps poorly planned and executed. The physicians, and other clinical staff are phenomenal.
Competitive health and retirement benefits and growth opportunities.

Pros

Interesting projects, friendly , good people

Cons

Low salary, long commute, low number of vacation days
It’s one of the best places I worked employee benefits wise. If they offer me to rehire, I will go back in a heartbeat. I am sure with the addition of more cutting edge equipments the accuracy and turn around time must have further improved. Go team !
I was an intern at UCSF for over a year. The opportunity provided an insight to what it was like to have a job. I learned so much their within the year I was interning.
Atypical day work starts at 9am and ends beyond 5pm
Learned that you need to be self dependent and self motivative to finish the task

Management is good for student rights and protection.

Workplace culture is very traditional

The hardest part is to mingle with people.

Enjoyable part of job is flexibility of time with your work
Managers with little or no experience in the field they are managing. Deadlines being met is more important than quality of work. No opportunity for advancement.
Love Love Love the teams of people at ucsf . Great benefits great pension. Always have tons of resources to do my job. My leadership team cared about my development of mt technical skills.
I would say that UCSF is a good place to work. However, with over 20,000 employees it has its challenges. Overall, I enjoyed my time with the HR Department, but after 6.5 years, it was ultimately not the correct fit for me and my future plans.

I would recommend UCSF as a place to work, but I am sure that this opinion would vary from department to department. Benefits are better than average, plenty of vacation and sick leave, several medical plans to choose from to determine the best for your family, retirement/pension plan is fair if you start early enough.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California - San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight