University of California - San Francisco logo
University of California - San Francisco
Happiness rating is 75 out of 100Above average

University of California - San Francisco Employee Reviews

Work-Life Balance

Easy on boarding and good benefits

I started working as a traveler and the crew I work with is great. There are many learning resources and my manager is pretty good in communication. I can see how senior UCSF have more priority due to the unions.

Pros

Good manager and team culture is a positive dynamic.

Cons

If you're new to UCSF-there are many policies to learn

My co-workers were great.

They moved management around in my department and the last manager was not adequate for the role. There was no trust and people often felt belittled by management.

Stable job and job security. Not a lot of opportunity of advancement unless someone retires, maybe not the best place to start a career. Overall a good place.

Supportive, engaging work environment

Great place to work. A lot of support from management, learning opportunities, and opportunities to advance within the organization. World-class research being performed, and feels fulfilling to take part in the work being done throughout the organization.

Pros

Engaging and fulfilling work, understanding management, many learning opportunities

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult to maintain

Supervisors did not micro-manage and provided great feedback

The culture was very inclusive of diverse backgrounds. The work environment was welcoming of sharing ideas. Your work contributes to the overall wellness of the community at some capacity.

Pros

Great benefits and pay. Meaningful work.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Good purpose poor execution

I'm currently a temp contract worker and Temps don't get fair treatment. Because of the pandemic I was told that there'd probably be furloughs and because of the hiring freeze they can't hire me. However they continue to hire Temps and I have workers here for a year now it was supposed to be a 6month contract to hire. Ucsf does great medicine and are cutting edge in a lot of areas but there's tons of mismanagement and poor organization. You do start to feel pretty expendable and just another cog.

Pros

Learning knew skills in research

Cons

Compensation, no benefits for Temps

Productive, professional, and considerate.

Higher education individuals I supported wear two hats at all times, Academic and Research. They work all the time on both subjects. I'm honored to work with such great minds.

Great Organization with Great people doing important work

Try coming in through the Temporary Employment Program. Exposure, to organization, still good benefits, and you may even get to try out your ultimate career position. I think this made the interviewing process less rigorous

Stimulating

I am able to refine and improve my class content and style based on student and administration feedback lending to a high quality program and student experience. The program supports faculty collaboration and innovation and incorporates past students into faculty and support roles.

Pros

Collegiality

Cons

Salaries

pay is good but management is horrible

they have manager that do you not know how to develop employees they rule over the employees like parent child relationships they violate many Ucsf policies and are never reprimanded they frown against Worker’s Comp. and punish you if you’re hurt if I could find another place to work I would but the pay is better here than at other UC systems

Jobs at University of California - San Francisco

See more jobs

Top-heavy and Poor Accountability

UC offers lower than average wages but compensates with good benefits. Pension prospects are good it being a State entity, but it is such a cloudy and low-motivating environment of low accountability and complacent staff, and low morale entangled with blurred lines between job description v. actual over-inflated expectation. Mixed with poor UC policy adherence by middle management (blanketed by dismissive leadership), the promise of growth and prosperity are low if you are a results driven productive person. There is great staff diversity, laden with GREAT inequality and divide, and it's overwhelmingly apparent. If you can turn off your brain, go with the flow, cover your ears and mouth, you may make it beyond the 5 year vesting period. From there, lower your expectations and try to coast along. With 20 years vested comes full medical benefits as the light at the end of the tunnel.

Pros

Full of forward-thinking staffers in regard to medical/ health advancement and research

Cons

Top-heavy and dormant administration with misguided and under-prepared management

Recruiters stay away!

Let me start by saying that UCSF as a whole, is a great organization. I would have loved to work there long term, just not for the "Manager of Talent Acquisition". The Talent Acquisition team on the Campus side, is your classic Mean Girls scenario. I was told, by the manager herself, that she will only hire contract employees. The reasoning behind it is that the manager and her little minions only care about one thing, making the manager happy. If you don't care about that, or at least outwardly show/express that, then you aren't a "good fit" for the team. It's sad, but unfortunately true. Here's the red flag to look out for, count how many times they say her name during your interview. 3-5 times is acceptable if you're talking about her, they'll bring her up with every question you ask because no on is allowed to think for themselves, it has to be approved and signed off by her, including calling in sick. To be successful on this team, you better be ready to be a yes-person. I was for the first 9 months of my contract. During the last 3 months, I had the second highest req load, took on multiple projects, and was filling in, full time, for another employee that was out on medical leave. I was ASKED to do scheduling for another recruiter so that she can focus on Sourcing (even though sourcing is my literal role). I said I didn't have the bandwidth, unless it was for sourcing. I was then TOLD to do scheduling. I refused again using data. Side Note: I was also going through a personal issue that I mentioned to the leadership team, and after refusing the -

Pros

A few great coworkers!

Cons

Lots of politics, trust issues, micro-manager, lack of leadership, zero communication skills, no flexibility, not allowed to have responsibilities aside from the job, like children, a family, or spouse..

The Values

Most people work at UCSF because they want to. The PRIDE values drives the community there. Management can be hit or miss. Don't expect to be spoiled with free lunch every day, but occasionally you will be fed. Not bad overall.

Pros

High ranking name

Cons

Pay

All About the Patients

Be willing to work with others and always stay on task to benefit the patient outcome. Production based environment, so be prepared to keep your numbers up.

Great environment

Recommend this company to everyone because of the great values and benefits. The atmosphere and environment encourages growth and leadership. There are many departments and different campuses to grow in.

UCSF is great place to meet talented scientists and collaboratively work towards great science.

My job provides me the flexibility for work hours and gives me better bandwidth to multi-task. Management ensures that scientific training is balanced with leadership opportunities and mentoring role to build a complete portfolio.

To laid back to be a Hospital

Find that most Departments waste money paying people to come to work to do absolutely nothing. Feel like management in most Departments is unaware of what goes on in that department. Managers get paid for doing nothing.

academic center

great academic center , and many resources of UCSF . teaching residents and students in medical care advancing care practices and training limited by funding and demand /need of patient is great ,

Great Place to Learn, not fairly compensated

I learned A LOT and gained lots of skills, but very disorganized management, salary is not comparable to salaries in the Bay Area and EXTREMELY hard to get raises without a title change (I was even laughed at for asking), archaic policies and my department had no perks that are common to other companies in the area.

Good stepping stone

Your experiences at UCSF will depend on the department that you work for, your supervisor, and the basic structure of your work environment. Try to work in a department that has a lot of funding, such as transplant or oncology.

Awesome work life balance

UCSF provides great work life balance. Great learning opportunity and great management. Very structured and clear goals defined. Loved the work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California - San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at University of California - San Francisco.
Powered byComparably

Compare University of California - San Francisco with

• University of California - San Francisco
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?