University of California - Santa Cruz Employee Reviews

Good Learning Environment
Financial Accounting Teacher Practicum (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMay 20, 2019
Good Learning Environment with great benefits. Employers are very nice, straight forward people. One can learn a lot from from this role. Students are very engaged with lessons.
Director of Annual Giving (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 22, 2019
UCSC provides a work environment that allows for creativity, new initiatives and team work. While the pay is not great, the other benefits certainly help to balance this out - health, retirement, colleagues, etc. There are many opportunities to advance, more laterally or try new areas along the way. A solid institution that I would highly recommend.
UC Santa Cruz
Assistant Director of Donor Relations (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 11, 2019
Nice work/life balance at UC Santa Cruz. It's the main employer in the city. It can be difficult to grow within a role and there seems to be a bit of turnover.
Profesional Environment
Graphics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa ClaraApril 4, 2019
UCSC was a very professional environment to work at that was concerned with meeting high quality standards while respecting employees. Work/life balance was maintained and individual development and growth was encouraged and helped.
Graduate work
PhD Candidate (Former Employee) –  UCSCApril 2, 2019
The usual graduate work, long hours short pay. Good outdoor activities make it a nice place to live. University encourages collaboration, most of the faculty are fantastic.
Pros
great area to go to school
Cons
expensive cost of living with stipend listed as agricultural area
Intensive, but highly rewarding
Summer Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMarch 25, 2019
Very fast paced, labor intensive, and you're interacting with a high turnover of customers every day. I learned efficiency, collaboration, perspective, dedication, and respect. Not one moment was overly complex or difficult, but the days are very long and physically exhausting, as well as mentally and emotionally (both I say in a positive way). The co-workers were nice and the management was very professional and respectful. I could tell they loved their job and worked meticulously to make sure everything was working well.
Great place to jumpstart my biotech career
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMarch 12, 2019
I worked here as a research assistant after college at one of the molecular bio labs. I enjoyed myself for the most part. I learned a lot of lab techniques in these labs. My only complaint is that my PI seemed to love all the other research associates but me....Not sure why, as I was well recieved by all the grad students and other research assistants. But because of this, I didn't have any mentoring whatsoever from my PI. I've happily moved on since, but I still have gratitude for the lab I was in.
Pros
Great people
Cons
PI is extremely self-involved
Creators of online educational video courses
Digital Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 17, 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job:
• I helped produce educational multimedia content utilizing live video, motion graphics, photography and stock media libraries.
• I collaborated with a team of instructional designers, subject matter experts, production artists and animators to create multimedia content working from initial scripts, to live recordings and post production graphics
Pros
Inclusive, creative and collaborative atmosphere. Good Benefits.
Consultant
LEARNING TECHNOLOGIES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 27, 2019
This job is very flexible with your schedule. The job was very relaxed and as long as you did your work and answered peoples questions, you were good to go.
Cons
Scheduling
Fun workplace
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 17, 2019
Had a great time in working on a novel research project. Everyone was very supportive and tried their best to guide me through the process. Would definitely reccomend.
Average workplace for a large, public University.
Learning Assistant and Subject Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 8, 2019
Average workplace for a large, public University. There isn't much to say since I was a tutor and not a full-time hire. My review shouldn't be taken into account as a representative example of what a career with this university would be like.
Disappointed work place
FINANCIAL ASSITANT (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CADecember 13, 2018
Disappointed work place and inconvenience location. High fees for everything, for example employees' parking fee ($50 - $ 75 per month). Inefficient work environment.
Very good working environment, excellent location surrounded by red wood forest
Associate Research Biologist (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CADecember 13, 2018
One of the best campuses among University of California branches.
Excellent working environment. Opportunity to conduct crystallographic data collection at Stanford University and/or at ALS
(UC at Berkeley) that are in one hour driving distance from UC Santa Cruz.
Pros
Very exciting project of determination and elucidation of 70S ribosome structure
Cons
Financing (and employment)is not stable and depends on grants
Excelente work area
Custodian (Current Employee) –  1156 High St.December 11, 2018
UC have been given the opportunity to continue with my kids to bring and pick up the school... it an excellent area of work and great personal workers
AM shifts language barriers. PM shifts controled and smooth running
Kitchen staff member (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CADecember 5, 2018
Just follow the menu baby. AM shifts were stressful due to deliveries and language issues as well as a full time bakeing staff going on as well. PM shifts were very friendly , supportive and fun
Pros
great food
Cons
in the AM too many issues in a small space. Language barriers.
Apart from teaching, I found a collaborative atmosphere with colleagues
Visiting Assistant Professor of phonology (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, California, USDecember 1, 2018
I was employed as a visiting assistant professor. I had just graduated from the University of Southern California. This is where I started teaching phonology to undergraduate students and graduate students. I also had access to the library of the University of California at Berkeley as it was easy for me to go to Berkeley.
The place was most pleasant especially as I had lived in Los Angeles for 6 years. I and my family (wife and daughter) felt so happy in Santa Cruz.
University research center, seems like a good place to work
Internship (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 29, 2018
Seems like a good, though small place to work. Most people I saw were working in small groups of < 10 people on parts of small-group projects. They seemed happy overall.
The State Auditor was a pain to deal with
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAOctober 16, 2018
The most difficult part of the job is securing funding from the State Auditor. This made getting the project started a chore. I preferred to have the funding in place before starting on the project.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Lack of a real boss
excellent place to work in a nice environment
Shift Manager and Server (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAOctober 8, 2018
keep the dining hall open and running all the food station.
I learn about proper sanitation, food handler serf safe,schedulig and more
very friendly and supportive the management
the hardest part was to please all the students and staff member
the most enjoyable part of the job was when i full fill they special requesting or concerns
Not really a co-worker environment
Lecturer - Computer Science (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CASeptember 24, 2018
Vast majority of time I was working alone with students. Very minimal interaction with co-workers. Classes are very large (350+ students) with signs of only growing.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Huge classes; isolated environment