University of California Berkeley Employee Reviews

mgmt culture was very steady. they were generally lifers, to work there until retirement
Oracle Planning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CADecember 10, 2018
Great crowd to work with. supportive and respectful. lots admiration for the quality of the work done. the environment was most time very patient and understanding that good work took time.
Poor Management and too political.
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CADecember 6, 2018
My experience was that this wasn't a place a hard working individual could get ahead and grow professionally without considerable amounts of stress and disorganization.
Good for students
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 18, 2018
Good job for students but not to make a career, not stressful and easy paced enviroment. Flexible schedules but low salaries. Discounts for employees.
Productive environment with great supervisors/coworkers
LAB INTERN (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 7, 2018
I was able to determine my own schedule while working in the lab, and I would come in to help out whenever my schedule was free. The people supervising me were very understanding and helped me learn valuable skills. The people I worked with were very easy to work with as well.
Interaction with some of the brightest students in the world
Executive Assistant to the Vice Chancellor (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 6, 2018
Enjoyed interacting with students from all over the world. Collaboration was challenging at times but overall it worked out. Fast-paced environment but, ease of adaptability was good.
Challeging place to develop research skills
Student Researcher (Summer) (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 5, 2018
Working at UC Berkeley was the best experience of my exchange program. Doing research with the best students in the world, in a lab with a good infrastructure is very motivating. Everyday I was challenged to do newer and harder tasks. I learned a lot during my intern!
Pros
Free lunch, free snacks, great infrastructure, competent co-workers
Cons
Stress
Flexible Hours
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 28, 2018
I really enjoy working at the Bancroft Library at UC Berkeley because it is on campus and the hours are very flexible. I appreciate the fact that management understands how strenuous schoolwork can be.
UX Bootcamp
UX/UI Designer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 25, 2018
The instructors are what runs the bootcamp. Projects were representative of real world experience of using agile methodologies in delivering projects geared toward improving the user experience.
fast paced with great reward on it.
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 18, 2018
University of California Berkeley is one of the top research universities. A typical day at work would be prepare the buffers needed for the future experiments followed by checking and responding emails early morning. Afterwards, I used to start bench work. It was a challenging at the same time rewarding atmosphere.
I really enjoyed my 10 years there!
Lab Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 9, 2018
University of California Berkeley is a Great place to work!. If you work hard, you really feel the appreciation. A lot like a family feeling. I had worked there for 10 years and would have stayed until retirement if I were not moving to Oregon. Hoping to find a great place here Near Salem, Or.!!!
Productive, interactive and fun.
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 4, 2018
Learned how to use various programing languages in a superb work environment. Had weekly meetings in which food was always provided, to discuss the progress of our projects.
It was alright.
SLE (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 3, 2018
It was cool. I had an part-time student job which payed more than regular minimum wage in the rest of the bay area. Needless to say I don't think this review is very applicable to full-time jobs on the campus.
Good place to study
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 23, 2018
Good place to study, the pay is not good compared to the high housing price in the bay area. The culture mostly depends on which group you are in, who is your advisor.
Volunteer
VOLUNTEER ASSISTANT WIDE RECEIVERS COACH (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 22, 2018
This was a great experience for me as I was able to stay active in my sport as a student athlete at this time. My playing time was cut short due to health issues, however being able to stay involved really helped influence me in my career path to become a football coach.
Pros
Atmosphere, learning experience, relationships
Cons
pay and benefits
Toxic Workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 16, 2018
This is one of the worst jobs I have ever had. The staff exchange vicious gossip and undermine each other. Management is ineffective at even recognizing this is going on, and they do nothing to stop it. When I reported this, they retaliated against me. The Union was also ineffective. Teachers do not listen seriously to the children or respond to them meaningfully.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Staff negativity out of control, ineffective management
Very political environment
Business Tech Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 13, 2018
The shared service design model doesn't seem to work well for all areas in the school. Metrics are superficial, lots of politics, favoritism, poorly distributed work loads.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
Bloated management
fff
Student-Athlete (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 10, 2018
• Created the charity softball game. Led the event committee in organizing and marketing the game, sourcing equipment, recruiting participants, and choosing charity sponsorships.
Good place to work and advance in a career
Applications Programmer (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 6, 2018
Good Professional Development programs for employees. Good benefits of Health. They had a good retirement program, now they
don't include the lum sum anymore. They gave lay off with no consideration about how many years you have done a good job.
Pros
Good Benefits of Health.
Cons
They gave you lay off with no consideration of your hard working.
Ambiente Estudiantil
Receiving/Stockroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 6, 2018
Muy sasticfatorio ambiente de estudiante donde se reciben y se exportan diferentes suvenirs y libros de todas las universidades de los estados unidos y es un ambiente de aprendizaje dia a dia
Cons
contrato solo por 4 meses maximo cada vez al año
Disgruntled Grad Student
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CASeptember 1, 2018
Over-worked, underpaid, especially for the cost of living in the San Francisco Bay Area. Doing my Ph.D. at Berkeley was the worst life decision I’ve ever made.