University of California Berkeley Employee Reviews

great
Graduate Student instructor (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 18, 2018
fun environment, constantly stimulated. supportive staff and many opportunities to grow. my colleagues are brilliant people and helped to cultivate a collaborative culture.
slow and stable
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 18, 2018
slow and stable and not much new tech adoption. nice smart and capable people. a pretty good work-life balance. great university environment. nice location
Collaborative place to work while building skills
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 15, 2018
The ASC at UC Berkeley provided many opportunities to help others develop. Within these opportunities, the ability to grow personal skills was immense.
not a good place to work unless you are management
AP Analyst (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 10, 2018
Very challenging for front-line staff. Management is not responsive to staff needs. Workplace culture is generally indifferent. Hardest part of job is severe underpayment. Most enjoyable part of job is interactions with those who appreciate the work we do, but they are not in the majority.
bad management
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 1, 2018
the title says it all. ridiculously bad management, from HR, from PI (but that's a matter of bad luck of course), from finance department, from Animal Facility. Intramural collaboration is not supported.
Productive and fun coordinating matches
INTRAMURAL SPORT REFEREE (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 26, 2018
It was fun and stress-free watching the matches and enforcing the game rules to all the player. I learned how to communicate to all the players and support sportsmanship during the games.
Really: Again??
Community Service Officer- Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 26, 2018
I just do not understand why this is necessary. I get that your company would probably want these numbers in order to help advertise other job to other people, but I don't want to do this fam.
Synergistic environment
Director of Outreach, SPARR Food Donations Program (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 23, 2018
Working at UCB has been one of the most educational and fulfilling experiences in my professional development. The workplace culture varies widely by department, but there is no shortage of perks like free lunches, nap pods, professional development programs both in-house and out for some of the best learning experiences around. The work-life balance is talked about a lot, however, the UCB community is renowned for exceeding all expectations, even if it means sacrificing sleep or working on weekends. A typical day could include everything from a team meeting, to teaching a workshop to transitioning students, to providing supports to a struggling student or meeting with Chancellors and Directors to advocate for services and supports. There's ample opportunity to be politically involved with this community, but its not nearly as 'liberal' as some think, some have experienced negative repercussions for involvement in the political sphere. The best part of the job was that every day involved a new opportunity to stretch one's skills and develop both professionally and personally. The hardest part is that UCB is it's own little universe, and sometimes it doesn't follow ''standard procedure" outside of the academic environment, there is a lot of bureaucracy involved, and change comes very slowly. It is a demanding environment and you will find that the time flies by, sometimes without anyone noticing that you haven't had a break or eaten lunch and its already 4 o'clock!
Pros
Free food
Cons
Seniority valued over skill
Stressful
Catering Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 18, 2018
A large variety of responsibilities.Hired, trained student as well as career employees. Organized and managed a variety of events from small coffee breaks to large galas.
Pros
Good benefits. Some employee perks such as meals
Cons
Unorganized. No work life balance.
Great place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 15, 2018
Great place to work if you are enrolled. I did research for great professors and found it very rewarding. I would highly recommend any student take a research assistant position.
Prolific workplace with the infinite learning atmosphere
Linguistic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 15, 2018
Every typical day introduced new tasks that compelled me to have a better strategy. Nothing was hard since I enjoyed the work I was doing in a conducive environment.
Pros
collaborative environment
Cons
Time was first
Great place to work as a student
Student Librarian (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 7, 2018
Flexibility with your class schedule, great job for students attending UC Berkeley, fun holiday and student employee appreciation days, and stress free environment.
Pros
Flexibility with hours, ability to work around busy class schedules
Cons
Slow-paced environment and sometimes 0-5 patrons on some days
Stressful due to long term cut backs
Manager of the Business Contracts Office (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 2, 2018
UC Berkeley is a wonderful and aspiring place however due to the last ten years of cutbacks from the legislature and from the administration, the atmosphere is lacking in upward mobility.
Pros
Higher education is inspiring
Cons
lack of advancement and constant cut backs
Great place!
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 29, 2018
Great workplace! Learned to design and execute a research experiment. Guided undergraduate students in research. Enjoyed working with the smartest of the colleagues.
great experience in economic research
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 25, 2018
UC Berkeley gives you amazing opportunities to work with professors who are actively conducting research in various fields. I felt very supported and the professor I worked with was very accessible and helpful with his suggestions about my paper.
Great place to work and friendly relaxed atmosphere
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 21, 2018
Check e-mails answer phone calls and drink coffee. Work environment is very relaxed and engaging. The only negatives is that the place is extremely hard to get in. Great Union.
typical workplace
Security Monitor (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 16, 2018
For my job, I am neither treated poorly nor well. We get paid minimum wage. I wages aren't increased or decreased. The workplace atmosphere is very relaxed.
Graduate Student doing research
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 12, 2018
I was a graduate student doing research
Aside from the amount of money I got as a Graduate Student, everything else was great
Very competitive and challenging environment
Collaborative Learning Environment
Volunteer Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 7, 2018
As a volunteer, it was really just a chance to learn as much as I can from all the talented people working at Berkeley. It was a great learning experience!
Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 27, 2018
Great place to work, nice people to work with.
Great location with a lot of interesting people. Very productive learning environment. Easy place to initiate and launch novel ideas and projects.