University of California Berkeley

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Overall satisfaction

I worked for UC Berkeley 10 yrs. I loved it. But the pay was low.

I began working in the Public Relations/Information Office. I loved it. I worked with the students, staff and the press. Keeping abreast of all news items relating to the University was part of my job and I loved it. I also wrote and kept the monthly calendar of events for the campus. When we had a management change(my supervisor retired) I decided to transfer. I didn;t like working with his replacement. I wound up working at the International House on Campus with for foreign scholars (Ph.D's) who came from all over the world to do their research. I liked it because I lived abroad for 4 years and like working with people from other countries.

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn new things and jobs.

Cons

Pay was low and monthly.

Good work/life balance, supportive colleagues/immediate supervisors, not much room for advancement

As a visiting lecturer, there is no security - you never know if budget will allow for your re-hire each year. Colleagues at the department are wonderful, but their hands are tied as to who they can hire and not.

Pros

Good work/life balance

Cons

No room for growth

interesting and rewarding work

The research project was interesting. I was able to learn a great deal from my supervisor and peers. The work helped to give me a sense of purpose too.

Underfunded school, not overly fair to graduate students

Though these problems are not unique to UC Berkeley, there is clearly not enough support of graduate students from faculty and administration. Pay is quite low, while expectations are very high with (in many fields) relatively low pay-off in terms of career opportunities. You can learn a lot though, get great experience, and be around intelligent and driven folks.

Excellent

Excellent growth-orientated experience. The manager encouraged educational training courses, nominated me into working groups and encouraged networking.

Pros

Project Development

Cons

Off campus site

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Lots of smart people to work with

Great place to work for. Lots of smart people to work with, and learn from. Great benefits , and daily learning experience. They encourage you to take additional classes at the Berkeley Extension to sharpen your skills.

Pros

Great benefits

Easy going place

good job while I was in school. Pay was competitive for what I was doing. management was really nice and worked with your schedule. It was also a job that was not very stressful at all.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

n/a

Its nice to eat at the cafeterias

Super RACISIT company!! RUN far! Not a fair place to work! Very uncomfortable! Will look down upon &, not treated equal or like a person if you are not like them! Would NOT recommend this place to anyone unless you display and support this same type of behavior!! Very shameful... Utterly Disgusting!!!

Pros

Cool lunch

Cons

RACISIT company to work for

Personal environment

Be on time. Every day don't miss days. Nice seasonal events Christmas 4th of July etc. Good pay. Good benefit package. Strong department within campus

As a medic the job is fast-paced and sometimes crazy, but learning how to do your job well and save lives is one of the most rewarding feelings you can have. Whether it is a heat-related injury or a trauma, a medic never experiences a feeling of not being needed or appreciated. That was the best part of the job, always feeling like you can be helpful in some shape or form. On the flip side, not being able to use free time to decompress, study, or generally do the things you need to do throughout the day was frustrating.

Jobs at University of California Berkeley

See more jobs

Great Team - Few Benefits

I'm lucky to be working with a great team of educators that foster a student focused learning environment. We work online so opportunities to get to know each other was important at the beginning sessions and we took the time to do exactly that. Unfortunately the pay is not industry standard and I have accepted a position that pays 3X the pay here. That said, I doubt I would have the new position without this work experience on my resume. In other words, it's a great learning and growth opportunity.

Pros

Chance to grow and learn

Cons

Destroys your evenings and weekends for low pay

Smart people

Kind of hard to review a university. I worked as an undergraduate instructor and thoroughly enjoyed my work. Everyone I worked with is passionate about teaching.

Great Place

Great Place to work, the scholars were friendly and engaging, and respectful of what I brought to the table. The book was an exciting project to work on.

Overall solid flexible professional thinking required.

High-pressured pace. Satisfactory accomplishment when tasks fulfilled within acceptable guidelines. The older the team leaders are, the more confident I feel.

Pros

You can’t help but feel a lot of collegiality

Cons

A few younger team leaders are inflexible

Great benefits, terrible culture.

This is a great job. I love UC Berkeley. Pay, benefits and work is amazing. Managers are where the issues begin. Sexist, discriminators, not fair or transparent. Time for a house cleaning in the RSSP

Pros

Benefits and pay

Cons

Management culture

UC Berkeley ECEP department fails to model basic moral values and uphold integral practices which the univeristy describes.

UC Berkeley ECEP childcare centers are failing as result of poor management. The leadership relies on gossip from classroom staff to reprimand others. Decisions are made at the last minute. Agreements are forgotten and changed due to constant lack of communication. The heads of the department never agree on program specific decisions and it creates constant inconsistencies. Low morale exists at all levels. Supervisors are not allowed to make basic decisions.

Pros

Excellent benefits

Cons

Extremely poor management

Work flexible

The university of California - Berkeley has multiple dining locations. Cal Dining managers have given flexible work hours. I could attend certain classes at my home college while working.

Great Benfits

The job has great benefits and helps you become detail oriented and also helps with communication skills. Working with cal zero waste we have learned to put appliances together and maintain the waste on campus to help the students.

Over all a good place to work. But if you go in as a Contract Worker hard to be placed permanently. No one as answer to questions.

Over all Berkeley as a hole goes out their way on paper, information on net, but sometime its difficult to get a quick answer on any given subject. Would be willing to work for the UC of Berkely, on permanent basis, over all a good place to work, and a stable work force, if not a contract worker.

Pros

Benifits, Time off, Free Lunch

Cons

Large employee work base, sometimes difficult to get information.

Excellent students, good communication with management.

I had excellent students who were very dedicated to learning. The Kaust Gifted Student Program (KGSP) students actively participated and were eager to learn. However, it was a very long commute for me.

Great museum collection

I had a great time working at PAHMA. I worked on myriad projects with the Head of Registration. I developed skills that I can bring into my future careers now that I have graduated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California Berkeley. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

69%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

31%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss