University of California Los Angeles Employee Reviews

Great work environment.
Geffen Academy Coach (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 18, 2019
A great place to work if you have a strong academic background. You are better off working or applying for a full time position in the event that you are someone with a doctorate degree..
Nice place to work
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 14, 2019
Really enjoyed my time there. Everyone worked well together for a good cause. Good people doing good things in an environment with unlimited resources.
Good
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 6, 2019
The supervisor is very nice. Help with skillset building and job advancement too. The downside the low efficiency of HR and low salary. Overall had a good experience.
UCLA law enforcement team is on point!
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 3, 2019
UCLA is a fine institution. During my short role at UCLA, I patrolled the campus and affiliate properties. While there, I learned about the history of the campus and various young adult groups. The staff is well diversified and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job was getting to and from the campus from the Hemet/San Jacinto area. The most enjoyable part of the job was policing the campus and conversing with students.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
The commute
Love the job, me more money.
Director/ Producer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 27, 2019
The job is great and the hours are steady. I just need to make more money to live in LA and start a family. With a full time job you can make enough to live on your own.
Pros
Good people and good benefits.
Cons
You don't make enough money.
Great opportunity
Senior Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 26, 2019
There's a lot of workers and different ways to grow. They provide alot of tools for you. Very physical job that takes a toll on your body. But everyone there is willing to show you the ropes.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Expensive parking
Excellent work environment
Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 21, 2019
Love the people, the environment at work and outside of work. Located in a beautiful area. Education focused so very up to date on evidence based research!
Not worth it
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 11, 2019
UCLA is not a bad place to work when compared to other Universities. It has some of the same problems that are common in academia, and administration is really bad. But still not as bad as other places.

However, the cost of Living in Los Angeles has skyrocketed in the past years and even though UCLA pays above average, it is still not enough to live well, so you are either extremely tight on budget or you live far away and add 1-2 hours to your daily commute to compensate.
Research Associate
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 11, 2019
I worked as a research associate and I loved what I was doing . However UCLA is unionized and very low pay, so that was not great. I Did learn alot there and loved my team.
Great Benefits
Complete Dentures Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2019
Great Benefits. Hard to commute to, as parking was an issue. You must account for LA traffic coming to the university and also time to get from the car to the point on campus.
Lvn
LVN (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 6, 2019
UCLA is an incredible place to work. Great work life balance. The medical center treats their nurses extremely well and provide modern medicine to their patients.
Great working environment
CT Technologist (Current Employee) –  Sylmar, CAFebruary 5, 2019
Great working environment, well staffed with the latest equipment to perform the job. Invaluable experience, motivated coworkers, always approachable management.
Great Benefits
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 31, 2019
This company has great benefits, the pay you have to be in a union in order to get a raise. There is a hard time transferring from department, You have to know someone.
excellent hospital
ACNP in the Cardiac Surgery ICU (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 30, 2019
a typical day I get to the hospital at approximately 0600 and get sign out from the night shift team. I then round on all the ICU patients with the ICU and surgical team and then enact an appropriate plan of care.
Pursue your passion
Teaching Fellow in Comparative Literature (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 29, 2019
I worked at UCLA as a teacher during and after my graduate school years. I loved that I was able to pursue my passion for literature and teach the works that were so essential to me when I was young.

The job environment, in the academic departments, is unfriendly and predicated on getting one over people.

This coupled with the lack of career opportunities that appeal to me have led to this decision to seek a new direction.
Pros
Working with students, pursuing your interests, quality colleagues.
Cons
Work environment and structural politics
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 28, 2019
Although it is a great place to work, some people are there to do the minimum to get to their pensions.
They lie to you about the benefits and steal your sick pay (they wont let you take it)
Pros
Some great people
Cons
Lazy Liars
Good Place to Work
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 24, 2019
Overall, UCLA is a great place to work. The politics, as always put a damper on things. Change is inevitable but UCLA doesn't consider the masses. I don't know if this is a place to work for 30+ years, good starting point though.
Productive and fun place to workat
Inventory Control Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 24, 2019
I would prefer to keep my opinion to myself. We have a good team in the Department.
The hardest part is keeping up with paperwork, UCLA is still working with very antiquated systems, Still keeping paper files.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Micro Management
It's a university
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 23, 2019
This is a university so you will deal with student working in a lab, research, writing papers, Learning cutting edge technologies and so on. The area is expensive.
will help with your volunteering hours
Hospital Volunteer program (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJanuary 23, 2019
A typical day would be going to the volunteer center, where you sign in, get your I.D. and see where you are going to be assigned for the day. Most of the assignments are easy to handle, mostly paperwork and copying.
Pros
free lunch (if volunteered at the cafeteria)
Cons
assignment can be far from the volunteer center.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California Los Angeles. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Women's ratings

4.3Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss