University of California Los Angeles

University of California Los Angeles Employee Reviews

United States1,070 reviews
Found 1,070 reviews matching the search
Laid back and fun
I worked as an undergraduate library assistant and had an amazing experience. It was a great first real job experience and I will always be very grateful for it.
adjunct instructor at extension
THE GOOD:
some really cool and talented teachers

most of the students were great

such a gorgeous campus and history

good pay

THE BAD:

Textbooks full of typos year after year (despite my circling them and notifying my supervisor who got angry when I asked more than once about it)

textbooks slanted way to the left for visiting china students

textbooks articles used without permission

wrong info about room numbers and times yet they blame you

you pay for parking

pressured to attend admin meetings that have nothing to do with you

bickering between faculty and management; noticeable friction

frequent observations yet all were positive reviews

payroll screwed up and it took over a month to receive paychecks

supervisor pressures you to attend the same meetings twice

supervisors sometimes snap at you

emails go ignored after they encourage you to ask questions

THE UGLY:

about half of the student chairs are noticeably ripped up

boss wear jeans, sneakers, and ratty un-tucked polo shirt for graduation

some classrooms in summer not cleaned (candy wrappers on ground for days unless I discard them ) and other summer courses leave their equipment dangerously leaning against walls (they weren't notified that the room was being used for more than one course)

12 pre-adolescents shoved into a tutorial room about 6x6 feet
Community Based Work Environment
A welcoming environment to first gen students.
Designated to a specific school in the metropolitan Los Angeles area.

In class tutor specific to major.
Best Work-Study Job
Amazing experience able to learn job skills that supported my disability studies education. Supervisor extremely understanding and flexible about work hours.
not good
Management crooked as a question mark.Union weak doesnt stick up for employees, always promoting family instead of the people who have more skills, very poor leadership.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Excellent school
Very poor management. No business plan...I lost my position in 2016 because of money problems. The chief of Cytogenetics terrible management criteria.
Solid Employer
Affordable health benefits make up for low pay and overall treatment of minority workforce. We just won
a historic new contract with the UC after striking for two plus years.Finally giving us a long overdue wage increase.
Good place
Good place to work, and learned a lot of skills on classes, it provided a lot of opportunities. The students, faculty, and the staff are very patient and nice.
Not the best place to work
I found UCLA to be a challenging employer to work with. I think there are a lot of good things about UCLA. Clearly there is a lot of collaboration across labs, people are friendly and considerate. I noticed that, especially in the research world, people were very helpful even if they were from other labs. The organization itself though was, in my experience, inefficiently run. It is apparent that upper management has different priorities. There is little financial investment in staff and a lot of what UCLA would consider "perks" are simply standard at other organizations. I got the sense that they were simply doing the bare minimum to provide adequate financial compensation as well as establishing a beneficial work-life balance. Overall they don't seem to be committed in investing in their staff which ultimately affects the organization.
Productive and very supportive environment from managers.
Typical day of work allow me to communicate, work with and delegate with student staff to carry out work tasks. I learned how to take a step back by overseeing a staff and making sure things runs smoothly from a logistical standpoint. Workplace culture was supportive and enthusiastic because of great managers that were great mentors to me. Hardest part of the job for me was the initial transition going from student worker to becoming a manager for former peers. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was getting to know my student staff on a personal level to develop genuine rapport.
Flexible work hours and conducive to student schedules
Work hours between 5am and 12 am. Learned how to coordinate, supervise, and accommodate for events. Hardest part was moving heavy things (speakers, tables) around.
UCLA Challenge
While working at UCLA, it was very difficult due to a lot of bullying going on my upper management. The lazy people were often compensated for the hardworking people’s work. Nepotism was going on at that time. Daily, it was like walking on eggshells. HR and the union would never support you which is why turnover was so high
A Great Student Job
ASUCLA provides students workers with valuable life experience. Managers are supportive of student endeavors and are very flexible when it comes to scheduling. Students are taught customer service, problem solving, and responsibility.
Fun Research but messy work environment
Research was fun and you learned a lot in the labs but most of the research labs were messy and students kept bench tops littered with experimental work.
Stable
UCLA is a stable environment with excellent health benefits. The down side would be new management who take advantage of authority and use their personal feelings get in the way of professional.
Assisted International Students
• Advised over 500 international students weekly, from nearly 50 countries, on the options for attending over 40 certificate programs on completing the application process at UCLA that allowed for an F-1 student visa.
• Collected multiple personal documents from students and agencies to complete student applications including passports, F-1 visas, I-94 travel itineraries, English exam results, and bank statements.

• Trained front desk staff on customer service and improved student assistance by 60% by reducing wait times.

• Replied to all incoming emails to the department within 24 hours, which increased student enrollments.
Environment conducive to learning on the job.
I would have liked more feedback on work performance to keep me engaged in the process. The working environment was a relaxed and positive experience. I got along well with staff, and others throughout the department.
Pros
benefits, location, flexible work schedule
Cons
management culture
Friendly and competitive environment
Taught in intensive ESL programs. The crew (faculty and staff) were friendly and helpful. Management was fair, open to new ideas, and the work environment was fun, albeit competitive.

Little/no room for advancement if one wished to obtain a full-time teaching role but fun place to work as an adjunct ESL instructor.
Adjunct Business Professor
Excellent program and university. I co-taught a class here and the campus help was exceptional, the students were top notch and the co-teaching was a plus for the students and us two professors. I highly recommend UCLA Extension and regular campus classes.
Best place if you want to work and learn as you work
I worked there from 2008 to 2009 and moved from building to building fixing and installing all kind of equipments and the lead and supervisors are gray to work with. All you have to do is to take seriously and do what are asked to do and don’t waist time smoking every 5 minutes and talk about nonsense for hours and you’ll be rewarded by you superiors.
welcoming and fun
They value diversity a lot! Having a positive attitude is key to this job as well as working in a team setting. Work hours are flexible as they know you are a student. Stiped is 300 per quarter.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California Los Angeles. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight