University of California Los Angeles Employee Reviews

Management can be better
Medical Biller III (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 16, 2018
This is a great place to grow and be stable. However, management is partial to employees. The Assistant Directors are great but supervisors need more management skills.
Pros
Union and pay
Cons
Career Counselor, Veterans Resource Center (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 12, 2018
Great culture and supportive work environment. My director is very supportive of my ideas and appreciative of the work that I do. I really enjoy working at UCLA.
It is a welcoming, creative, interactive place to be
Administrative Office/Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 12, 2018
Working for UCLA Housing and Hospitality is a great experience with a lot of opportunity to grow and learn. It is an interactive environment where fellow staff throughout different department constantly communicate and work towards maintaining a well-running and functioning establishment.
Pros
Opportunities for growth, fun atmosphere
Ucla
Business Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 9, 2018
As one of Southern California’s top five employers, UCLA is the workplace of more than 42,000 people and contributes $12.7 billion to the economy. The UCLA Health System alone generates $3.2 billion in output.

Innovation at UCLA has produced an active portfolio of almost 3,000 inventions. More than 140 companies have been created based on technology developed here.
Music Teacher
Music Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 5, 2018
Great time working with the students.
-Taught technique to students
-relaxed environment
-most enjoyable part of the job was the teaching environment
-learned how to work with other teachers on a competitive level
Environnement parfait
ETUDES EN LANGUE ANGLAISE (Former Employee) –  LOS ANGELESJuly 3, 2018
Horaires - environnement - et conditions de travail parfaites
Pros
Horaires tres agreables et profs parfaits
Negotiate Your Salary, No Job Security, Unethical Practices
Associate Director of Development (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2018
-Negotiate your salary. You can look up anyone's salary online and get a sense of what you should be paid. Don't let them take advantage of you. Anderson has the most money and so does Development. Try to get jobs there.

-Network with people in different depts. That's how you get your next job.

-Just because you're a Career employee (vs contract) doesn't mean you have 100% job security.

-Keep your resume up-to-date and start applying within your 2nd year in a position. Never stay longer than 3 years in a role. The only way to get a substantial boost in pay is to leave for another job.

-Lots of financially unethical practices and inappropriate relationships at Anderson and Development. They have more money to waste. Hire fancy caterers, get new laptops, fly first class, etc. There are both staff and faculty who have dated/married students. This isn't a hidden fact, it's well known by most people who work there.

-Get the Title 9 office involved if you see or hear any inappropriate behavior from bosses. This is now the era of #me too.

-Work/life balance is great. Parents get the most excuses to use.
Pros
work/life balance, beautiful campus, convenience aspect of Westwood
Cons
salary, lack of job security
Typical academic postdoctoral position with good benefits for family
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 30, 2018
Like any academic lab, everything really depends on the PI and the lab. I had a great PI. The lab was large lab with a wide range of personalities and work styles. Health benefits for a spouse and 2 dependents was only ~$90/month.
loved working in research and worked in the field
Community Health Navigator Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 28, 2018
I loved working for the company. I was a case manager / health navigator for the study. It I learned about human subject IRB, and became a volunteer for the county jail, which gave me full non escort assess to go into the county jails and do assessments.
Pros
working in the field, paid travel, and good benifets
Cons
working with soft money, no job security
Good workplace with fair pay
Public Information Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 23, 2018
The job was very slow paced and did not involve substantial collaboration or teamwork with other coworkers. Typical job tasks included organizing bookshelves and translating/ transcribing documents and audio.
Caring
Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 23, 2018
A typical day at work was worth coming too every day.
I learned many cultural backgrounds.
The management needed improvement.
The hardest part was being let go.
The most enjoyable time was when I knew the patients left happy.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
unprofessional of organizational management
I liked this job
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2018
I learned a lot from instructors that I supervised. There was flex-time, I traveled overseas at least once a year. Relaxed but professional work culture. Worked with a lot of international people: HS students, young adults, young professionals, business people, study abroad students.
Pros
Fun, interesting, good work environment, travel, flex time
Cons
Dealing with departments that didn't understand ESL
Ucla
Hospital Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Porter Ranch, CAJune 14, 2018
It has been a wonderful experience to work for UCLA. I love it! awesome pay and benefits along with amazing people. would not change that at all. Thank you!
Virbant and challenging workplace
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 11, 2018
Ucla is a vibrant campus atmosphere with students who are enthusiastic, intellectually and politically engaged and ready to learn. However non tenure track faculty are underpaid and isolated on campus
Good company and school
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 5, 2018
Very good company to work with, good benefits. very professional co workers. i learned a lot and had fun assisting endo specialist Doctors. i learned new dental techniques.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
traffic
N/a
Cytogenetic Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 3, 2018
They have very good retirement benefits , the pay is reasonable , they care for patient care and its very important . they have pension program which is very good.
Pretty good
TA (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 30, 2018
Pretty good, beautiful campus, the working environment depends on the department/ nature of employment. I enjoy my flexible schedule, but have lots of work.
Pros
good location
Cons
heavy workloads
UCLA is a great place to work
Director of Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 26, 2018
UCLA is a great place to work. Over my 25 years there I was very lucky to have strong supportive managers who supported my professional growth. I was promoted 6 times. The campus environment is very warm and friendly.
Pros
Beautiful campus, great people
Cons
not enough staff training you have to pursue a lot of things on you own
productive program
Dental Assistant/Preceptor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 22, 2018
great place to improve knowledge, the best professors in a friendly atmosphere. I was a preceptor.......................................................
Pros
perfect place
Cons
no negative point
Great start to a career elsewhere, extremely low pay
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 17, 2018
Pros:

Work life balance. Depending on the department, great coworkers. Amazing benefits. Internationally recognized institution.

Cons:

EXTREMELY low pay. They base pay from your previous job - so if you come from a previous job in entertainment, or out of state, etc, you get low balled so much so that you can not afford to live in Los Angeles. The annual increase, if you are lucky to get one, is actually negated by the increased price of the annual parking pass that comes out of your paycheck. Raises unheard of, promotions rare, it's best to try to find a job in a different department, or come in from a job where you were already highly paid. Some people have been here so long that they are beyond complacent and inept at their jobs. Lack of accountability for those people who shirk their work and put it on others.

I graduated from UCLA so it's sad that working here has been extremely frustrating at times, because I love the school itself so much :(

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California Los Angeles. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

4.3Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.