University of California Merced Employee Reviews

no thanks
Retail & Dining Services Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAMarch 12, 2019
It was great in the beginning years. Campus growth is leading to expenses campus can't afford and leadership is out-sourcing the majority of services
Great learning Opportunity
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAMarch 4, 2019
This school, and subsequent jobs, allowed me to learn a lot about myself. I grew personally and as a professional. I obtained many great skills and experienced many knew and exciting aspects of chemistry through my research.
Challenging to your growth
Course Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAMarch 1, 2019
I learned a lot about myself in this position and I felt that there was a lot of time invested in me as a professional, but I they pay is what made look elsewhere.
Pros
Lots of opportunity to grow in your position.
Cons
Pay
Great place to work with supportive collaborative colleagues
Business and Administrative Team Generalist-Buyer (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAFebruary 11, 2019
Loved this job and the UC environment. Very collaborative supporting atmosphere with competitive salaries and great benefits. They really care about the employees and students.
My co-workers are the best
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 6, 2019
The best co-workers to work with. All my co-workers are really helpful. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the students directly in guiding them to their higher education options.
Good for students
Education Abroad Peer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAJanuary 25, 2019
I really like this job as I get to assist students who wish to study abroad while doing administrative work. The staff is nice and I like the welcoming environment of the place.
Beautiful campus, great learning opportunities, wonderful people and awesome benefits!
Administrative (Current Employee) –  CampusJanuary 19, 2019
I worked in a temporary position and was hired as a "career appointment". As mentioned in other reviews, the quality of management depends on where you're working. I have always had great supervisors and feel fortunate that I was hired into the department I am now working in. Innovative thinking, self-sufficiency, and initiative is encouraged and appreciated. . .

Work load varies depending on where you work. The hardest part of the job (my first round) was learning the acronyms, systems and procedures/protocol. Second time around, having gained that knowledge, the transition to the new job was much less stressful..

The campus is beautiful and there is always something going on, something to participate in, and most importantly to me, something to learn.
Pros
A bigger purpose, people, beautiful environment, opportunity to learn and grow, benefits
Cons
None that would ruin my life :-)
Helpful Organization
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJanuary 17, 2019
My time as a student at the University of California, Merced was one filled with a plethora of meetings/opportunities for growth. Providing rigorous curriculum enabled the average student to be able to achieve their utmost potential.
not too bad for PhD program
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAJanuary 14, 2019
Probably the PhD program is much less stressful compared to other universities. Finishing the program and getting the degree is also not as tough as other universities. At least, the funding is not an issue. The quality of students isn't so great, including graduate students, so it's probably bad for professors who have to work with graduate students.
perfect learning opportunity
Student Researcher, Department of Natural Sciences (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJanuary 9, 2019
I loved working at the UC while I was a student. I can honestly say it was one of the funnest jobs I had and it was a great environment to work in. The admissions department is still my second home. The experiences and friends that I made during my time there will stay with me for the rest of my life.
Pleasant overall, but the UC system needs work
Student Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  School of Natural SciencesDecember 11, 2018
The hours were reasonable, and as a student they were very accommodating. The chemistry department had little to no issue, but the wage and benefits for UC workers needs work. The people were friendly and easy to work with. The job required working as a team player, as well as practicing efficiency and accuracy. The job is fast paced at time, and slow at others, providing a sense of routine without becoming too dull.
Pros
Relatively flexible hours, decent pay
Cons
short breaks, low on offered hours, no benefits for student workers, minimal benefits for service workers
UC Merced, a wonderful place to work if you're not a contractor
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Merced, CANovember 19, 2018
I commuted 120 miles per day, and spent a great deal of my days in meetings. I learned a great deal more about working in an academic environment. The culture is surprising very fast-past paced in certain departments while others, well, which were much lesser so making it difficult to get needed information.

The most difficult part of the job was the inability of management to make decisions, and to clearly communicate a solid direction.

The most enjoyable part of the job was certainly the staff I had the pleasure of working with and getting to know.
Pros
Wonderful spacial environment to work in with some great people!
Cons
Management is too indecisive, highly politicized, and negatively charged.
Great pay good benefits
Sr Custodian (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAOctober 31, 2018
Great pay good benefits I would recommend to work at the University of California some of the staff are very friendly management was not fair and do not know how to treat people
It was a great place to work out
Paleoecology Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAOctober 28, 2018
My boss has been very kind and helpful every since I started working there. I was being mentored to be prepared for the real world. I would highly recommend this job to someone else.
Great, Tight-knit
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAOctober 25, 2018
Merced is a small town and school so everyone knows everyone and very tight-knit group of people. Diverse and many first generations students that are hard working that are making their families proud.
Productive and fun
Chemistry Lab Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAOctober 1, 2018
A typical day at work would be something like, checking the washroom for things needing to be washed or put away, checking the lab service times and servicing them at the appropriate times, collaborating with coworkers while chatting, and checking the board during down time for our assigned tasks.
There is a lot to be learned as a Chemistry Lab Student Assistant, from the procedure of following and even making SoP's, learning the basics of various machines and their associated programs, the importance of communication and working as a team, and many other small details.
The management and workplace culture while I worked there was good, and it was constantly being altered slightly over time, as with the doubling of the size of UC Merced, several changes had to be implemented over time to the workplace.
The hardest part of the job would probably be proper time management, while the most fun part of the job would have to be the people you work with and get to know very well working in the student labs.
Good learning environment
Project Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAAugust 22, 2018
The school is away from the city and the classes are great so you get to study and develop as a student in a somewhat isolated setting. The school gives you every resource to thrive.
Productive and fun workplace
Academic Advising Mentor (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAAugust 2, 2018
A great and positive work environment that ensures student-employee promotion of self worth and academic advancement. The staff ensured positive attitudes as well as strong team building motives.
Collaborative working and learning environment
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAJuly 23, 2018
I have enjoyed working as a teaching assistant at the University of California, Merced because I have had the opportunity to work closely with passionate, intelligent professors who care deeply about education, their students and sociology. A typical day at work consists of me attending lecture, taking notes, engaging in classroom discussions with undergraduate students, collecting papers, grading and providing feedback, and responding to student and professor e-mails with clarification on readings and in the case of the professor- how students are digesting the assigned readings. I learned that students are reticent to ask questions so it is important to be approachable and provide positive reinforcement in order to put them at ease and build their confidence. The workplace culture was collaborative because my fellow TA's/Graduate students are helpful and open to distributing tasks evenly. The most difficult part of the job has been getting more students to come to office hours. However, the most enjoyable parts of the job have been the times when students come in for help and find that a little bit of clarification or a learning technique were all they needed to excel in the class. I have been very fortunate to have the opportunity to work with such wonderful co-workers and undergraduates.
Pros
The "A-ha" moment with students during office hours
Cons
Not being paid for the first month of the semester
Rapidly growing and exciting place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJuly 21, 2018
UC Merced is growing rapidly, with new building construction ongoing. This 21st century research university has a student body that clearly represents California and its central valley.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of California Merced. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

University of California Merced Reviews by Location