University of California Santa Cruz Employee Reviews

Typical Higher Education
Department Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 3, 2018
Typical higher education. Focused on the students more than staff development or staff culture.

The work environment is very old fashioned. The technology used is outdated for the most part and many tasks are still done by hand and take excessive time to complete.
Pros
Secure once you make it to vested
Cons
Salary not enough to live in the area
it was a good place to work while in school
Student Dinning hall worker (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAFebruary 22, 2018
It was a relatively easy job with no little to no skill required to be hired. The shifts were very flexible so it make the job perfect for students. The mangers were nice and they understood that you were a student first and a worker second. They would work with your schedule.
Working at UCSC was a great way to experience laboratory research for students that wasn't part of a lab class.
Assistant Researcher (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 9, 2018
At UCSC, getting into a lab positions was competitive, but a rewarding experience. It allowed me to experience research first-hand and discover a passion for research that I wish to continue in the future.
Fun work place
Forms Processor Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CADecember 29, 2017
University of Santa Cruz was a GREAT place to work. After 9 years of working there I decided to transfer to Cal Berkeley to a bigger campus and a different environment, of course Berkeley reminded me of Santa Cruz so I new I could live and work in Berkeley.
Great Job, Great Pay, Great Benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CANovember 29, 2017
I would definitely work here again and I was sad to leave but I could no longer afford to keep living in the beautiful ocean town. Its a beautiful campus and great supportive environment and would recommend it to anyone.
easy
Fall Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAOctober 23, 2017
Easy jobs. There were cliques. I was told that I would get a $50 gift certificate in the end, but I only got half. The new supervisor had no idea what she was doing most of the time but she was still nice.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Did not provide housing for all workers
productive environment
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CASeptember 20, 2017
Managers and people who work around you are always very chill and help with anything you need. most of the day is spent sitting down and looking at a screen. learned how to convert pdf to mp3.
Safe and comfortable environment
Student Management/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 17, 2017
I truly enjoyed working at University of California Santa Cruz. The hills may be a little challenging to get up but the view is beautiful. My supervisors were amazing to me and there for me on a personal level.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
Hills to walk up
Productive and Rewarding workplace
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 10, 2017
Working for the university as a student can have its pros and cons. Pro: they will work with your class schedule. Pro: you work where you go to school and if you live in the dorms, where you live. Con: they only give you a limited amount of hours to work per week. Con: it takes a long time to figure out the paperwork to start working and go through training and then the jobs only last as long as the quarter lasts.
Pros
rewarding experience
Cons
only hired for a quarter at a time
Very productive work environment with a flexible schedule
SRS Programs Team Student Leadership Officer (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJune 21, 2017
Working at UCSC is very enjoyable. At this job, you are open to create your own schedule and sign up for tasks to complete on your own before a deadline. Mainly, we plan and orchestrate events for a program of underprivileged college students. This gives us the chance to bring happiness, a sense of belonging, and overall fun to the workplace and to others.
Pros
Flexible schedule, event planning, fun atmosphere
Cons
There are no cons
average work culture
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMay 16, 2017
average work culture, not high work ethics and relatively low wage as per qualification. Too laid back and lack of overall academic orientated environment.
Friendly and team oriented environment.
Admissions Freshman Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 23, 2017
Enjoyed the collaboration and encouraging environment from my colleagues. The culture of the institution embraces others differences, forward thinking and great with culture competency. Overall, enjoyable campus.
Pros
green campus, beautiful views, kind people, friendly environment, helpful population.
Consulting company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CASeptember 25, 2016
While I liked the work, the fact that I did not meet my direct report until 6 months in to the work, was a little disconcerting. There was little to no training. The company has since been sold or changed ownership a few times.
Work_ Hike
Research fellow (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 16, 2016
Working in the office$ lab, Lunch sometime in the yard of my department, Short hiking some time after lunch, working in the office$ lab afternoon.
Great place for Research and Academia
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMay 6, 2016
UC Santa Cruz is well known for its research and has a great faculty who encourage students to involve in research and graduate school. Opportunities for funding and plenty of grants are available for the students.
It's fun to work with the professor
Tutor in an Software Engineering Course (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 13, 2016
It is pretty fun to work with the professor. I gained a lot by reviewing other student's homework and had a weekly meeting with the professor.
Fun
Gardening Internship (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CADecember 31, 2015
one of the best places to work at. fun environment and coworkers are the ones who make this place great. the many things i learned here have helped me out in future employment.
Pros
free lunch, coworkers
Cons
Executive Administrative Assistant, UC Santa Cruz (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CANovember 12, 2015
Beautiful place to work, students are passionate about what they do and are always willing to go the extra mile to get the job done.
Teach, review and correct Spanish grammar
Spanish Tutor, Oakes Learning Center (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAOctober 5, 2015
A great opportunity to work on you degree while you study . Flexible hours and good pay for a part time employment. Very rewarding and satisfying job while you learn at the same time.
Pros
Flexible times and good pay
Exciting and instructive
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 20, 2015
It was a pleasure to have the opportunity to provide knowledge to my peers, especially because it was a subject I love (economics). I learned how to effectively communicate material to others who do not know the material that well, and I was afforded the freedom to design and implement the lesson plan as I saw fit. Although I found it difficult at time, the job forced me to think cleverly about how to distill complex principles into more simple, elementary terms.
Pros
Sense of importance, Sense of freedom, Sense of control
Cons
Poor compensation, some frustrations