University of Central Missouri Management reviews

Custodian
Custodian Worker (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOJuly 8, 2018
Working as a custodian was slow paced and relaxed but the work is hard. Picking up trash in eleven dorm buildings that are five flites of stairs and don't have elevators is pretty difficult. Management is decent and respectable. I worked with one other person and we became good friends.
Pros
Made a good friend
Cons
Heavy weight lifting
Massive Changes
Manager (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOMay 9, 2018
With the current president's leadership, UCM has changed its work environment 360. Employees are consistently stressed about the potential of layoffs without notice. We have been told for several years by the President to do more with less, but he was given a $85,000 raise. It is hard to be motivated when the President is not even living on campus or in Warrensburg for the most part. He has less and less involvement with the students in person. UCM has lost it family feeling within the staff community and most are on pins and needles waiting for what is going to happen to make the budget work.
Pros
Vision and dental insurance is good, student rec center, beautiful campus, discount for family on classes
Cons
Lack of communication downward, under paid
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOApril 12, 2018
Management was excellent in terms of providing a great work environment. Lead teachers are prepared and organized and made student teaching a breeze.
Amazing low key jobs with great managers
Student Tutor/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MODecember 30, 2017
I have worked for UCM in a couple of different roles and management has been stellar both times. Flexible and willing to work with you while you are going to school.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, great management
Cons
Temp work; University mandated max of 20 hours/week
university is more oriented towards students rather than the staff
heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOOctober 21, 2017
No pay increases. The president takes raises and doesn't give staff raises. Bad morale. Staff members don't know what's going on because of lack of communication. Upper management thinks they're better than you and treat you like dirt I had a good manage and supervisor. I was lucky. Other departments had it bad. They hire too many contractors to do work that could be done in house. I left because of low pay and they didn't use my expert operating skills very often. If your old and already retired from one job then this is your place. Good luck..
Pros
lots of time off
Cons
low pay, upper management sucks, th president takes raises and doesnt care about staff.
Low pay, changing hours
Painter (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOOctober 20, 2017
Recently, everyone was moved to a different shift. Many employees quit and a lot are unhappy. Management does not care about you and treats you as replaceable. They are trying to make us pay more for health insurance, and dental even though they don't pay us enough. There are no opportunities for advancement either. Pretty much a dead end job.
Relaxed Work
Library Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOOctober 19, 2017
You will not have much activity at work, but you are able to balance you school work and job activities very well. Do not worry about your management because they are extremely flexible and wil work with your schedule.
Provides a fun and engaging work environment.
Temporary Employee (Current Employee) –  McClure Archives and University MuseumJuly 21, 2017
The environment is great and the management is amazing. Their is a lot of variety in the work that I did and their was always something new and exciting to do. Provided a lot of experience.
Bad atmosphere
Projects Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOJuly 14, 2017
The co-workers had a down attitude for everything. Hard to be upbeat with so much negativity. Everyday was something else that was complained about. Doesn't take a lot to upset some.
Pros
Benefits, free events to attend, free health & wellness center
Cons
Unfriendly people, job security even to longtime employees
A job which gives satisfaction
Program Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MO 64093April 7, 2017
My position here at the University of Central Missouri involved the daily oversight and management of the Breath Alcohol Instrument Training Program. Training law enforcement officers has been one of the most satisfying positions I have ever held. The position was grant funded (through federal grants) and had to be renewed each and every year; which, as you can imagine, produced quite a bit of stress just prior to grant renewal time. I might be in the classroom for eight hours straight on one day and in the lab (calibrating and repairing instruments) the next...and in the office for hours of report preparation the next. I learned how to multi-task by moving from one lab bench to another and working on different types of complicated instruments. I learned how to convey information to a variety of learners. I learned how to testify in court during criminal prosecutions. I was the very first program manager over this particular program and was picked by my supervisor to "make it so" after he and the Missouri Highway Safety Director literally sketched out ideas for the program on a cocktail napkin. Our work environment was somewhat stressful but when people are competent at their jobs even stressful environments can be overcome. At first I did not supervise anyone but as the job grew I supervised two others. Learning how to supervise was perhaps the most difficult part of this job. The most enjoyable part was hearing from officers I had trained as they excelled at locating, investigating and arresting impaired drivers...thus making our roads safer here in Missouri. I  more... believe the two men I supervise now are indeed ready to take on my duties and keep this essential program alive.  less
Pros
8-5 workday, very few evenings, some weekends.
Cons
health care benefits were expensive for me to put my wife and son on.
average job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOFebruary 16, 2017
This job was very unorganized and inefficient at scheduling. I worked several overnight shift with class the next morning. I stayed with this job because the hours were decent but the shifts were terrible and management and coworkers were unorganized
Ok workplace
Professor and Program Coordinator - lead (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOJanuary 30, 2017
Lots of strife from a large bureaucracy that is top heavy. Educational focus can easily get lost, mainly because of the US attitude that everyone deserves and should go to university.
Great atmosphere, and works around schedules.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MODecember 20, 2016
Typical work days are normal. I have learned a lot about over the phone customer service, and how to work with others. Management is alright, and my coworkers are great. The hardest part about my job is finding things to stay busy when we get our work done so fast, but the most enjoyable part is being able to work with such good people, and have a great supervisor.
Nice and friendly working atmosphere. Flexible working hours. All the professors I worked with were great and friendly. I enjoyed my job
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOOctober 16, 2016
I learned a lot of management skills. My job was to assist professors with anything they needed to teach. I proctored tests, graded, tests, covered class when the professors were not able to.
Pros
Time flexibility
On campus job.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOOctober 16, 2016
Interaction with different cultures.
continuous learning by mentoring undergrads.
could experience student life and professional life at the same time .
learnt more about time management.
Production and fun workplace. Learnt many thinks here and got chance to work on my strength.
Advance Programming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOMay 23, 2016
This was a very good experience for me. Learn many thinks here and got a chance to work on my strengths. Learnt about time management. The most interesting thing about about job is new challenges. Some time students ask queries which I was not aware, so it was a challenge to understand problem and find solution for that.
Great place to meet new people
Temporary Systems Process Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MONovember 20, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics.
Pros
Meeting people from all walks of life
Cons
Having to say goodbye at the end of the school year
Steady Hours for the time the job is open
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOJuly 5, 2014
normally work begins at 7 am here, when you clock in, you're designated to your work area and listen for any further instructions as well. you will mainly be cleaning rooms with many coworkers but you clean your own suites most of the time. you get two breaks and a lunch of thirty minutes. you typically leave at 3:30 or 4 depending on the day shift you are given at orientation.

the coworkers are often people your same age group but not always and if you're looking for a social job then you might like it although the pay is minimal. mine happen to all speak another language and i'm the only female this year so its quite irritating and lonely at times.

management is another ordeal. the former residential director left this year so the new present one is unknown but i will tell you this: expect chaos and a lot of sudden change-ups. more often than not, we're rushed to start a project or on an area for cleaning before they decide to send you somewhere else instead. there's one person in charge who just has an awful attitude and she will talk to you like you're dirt but just control yourself and you'll be fine. you rarely see her anyways.

I can't say that i learned much considering I've been experienced for a good while before this position, but i did learn how to do floor work such as laying finish to make the floor tile shine.

the hardest part had to be not being recognized for the actual amount of work you do everyday. You go everyday on time, and work yourself to exhaustion, silently hoping someone might notice you standing out and might give you a chance at a stable
  more... job. for me, that's the hardest because you know you are under-paid and unappreciated but you still have to keep going.

I suppose the most enjoyable aspect, if there is one, is all the different kinds of people you can meet. And sometimes goodies are brought in if the crew does a real good job as a whole.

this is a seasonal temp. position so if you're looking for work to hold you by until school as a student or if you just need the extra cash, then its a fairly decent start.
Pros
get off fairly early in the day, lots of people to meet, steady work schedule
Cons
short lunches and breaks, can be hectic, lazy coworkers, temp. job
UCM was a great place to work and was very flexible.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOApril 23, 2013
I enjoyed working at UCM, this is a very flexible employer. I really enjoyed working with the staff and management here.
Deadend Career
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOFebruary 9, 2013
This is a career ender job with no advancement unless you are "one of the boys." Entrenched faculty with archaic ideas hold new creativity at bay.Promotion and tenure is a fantasy. Be careful.