University of Central Missouri Pay & Benefits reviews

Bad work experience there. When money is short it's the little guy who gets screwed. No raise for over 2 years and benefits cut back.
Tile floor restorer (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOJanuary 8, 2019
For a government job at a liberal university they totally screw over the little guy. Almost never hear compliments for your work but will hear every complaint for sure. No raises while the work load soars. Benefits constantly being cut back. All the while they bring in more higher ups in overpaid positions.
Pros
Lots of paid holidays.
Cons
Bad pay. Worsening benefits. Work culture sucks.
Easy work for Students
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOMay 15, 2018
If you're a student then it's easy to work there and they won't let you work more than 20 hours. This also includes any other job you acquire on campus. So if you were to get a job in one office they would have to split the hours you receive from that job contribute that to your max of 20 hours per week. They don't work very long shifts and the jobs are very simple.
Pros
Easy Job, Short Shifts, & Works with School.
Cons
Few Hours and has to share hours with other jobs on campus.
Massive Changes
Manager (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOMay 9, 2018
With the current president's leadership, UCM has changed its work environment 360. Employees are consistently stressed about the potential of layoffs without notice. We have been told for several years by the President to do more with less, but he was given a $85,000 raise. It is hard to be motivated when the President is not even living on campus or in Warrensburg for the most part. He has less and less involvement with the students in person. UCM has lost it family feeling within the staff community and most are on pins and needles waiting for what is going to happen to make the budget work.
Pros
Vision and dental insurance is good, student rec center, beautiful campus, discount for family on classes
Cons
Lack of communication downward, under paid
Good for Students
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOApril 16, 2018
It's a good job for students who live on campus. You only work 3 or 6 hours at a time. and if you get enough hours, its a good job for just staying on campus and needing food or gas money. You only get paid minimum wage though. plus the schedule is set for the whole semester after the first month. so your hours don't change at all after that unless you pick up someone else's shift or you drop yours. It's a really easy sit down job though. you can do your homework while on the job if you're not easily distracted. Otherwise you will have a hard time unless you get one of those early morning shifts where no one is up.
Amazing low key jobs with great managers
Student Tutor/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MODecember 30, 2017
I have worked for UCM in a couple of different roles and management has been stellar both times. Flexible and willing to work with you while you are going to school.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, great management
Cons
Temp work; University mandated max of 20 hours/week
Professor of Sociology (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MONovember 27, 2017
The work environment is great. Colleagues are congenial, students are hard-working and the administration is supportive. The benefits are competitive and it is a good place to raise a family.
university is more oriented towards students rather than the staff
heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOOctober 21, 2017
No pay increases. The president takes raises and doesn't give staff raises. Bad morale. Staff members don't know what's going on because of lack of communication. Upper management thinks they're better than you and treat you like dirt I had a good manage and supervisor. I was lucky. Other departments had it bad. They hire too many contractors to do work that could be done in house. I left because of low pay and they didn't use my expert operating skills very often. If your old and already retired from one job then this is your place. Good luck..
Pros
lots of time off
Cons
low pay, upper management sucks, th president takes raises and doesnt care about staff.
Low pay, changing hours
Painter (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOOctober 20, 2017
Recently, everyone was moved to a different shift. Many employees quit and a lot are unhappy. Management does not care about you and treats you as replaceable. They are trying to make us pay more for health insurance, and dental even though they don't pay us enough. There are no opportunities for advancement either. Pretty much a dead end job.
Relaxed Work
Library Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOOctober 19, 2017
You will not have much activity at work, but you are able to balance you school work and job activities very well. Do not worry about your management because they are extremely flexible and wil work with your schedule.
Great resume fodder
Assistant at University Store (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOAugust 31, 2017
I worked at the University Store for 3 years, but never got a pay raise. The only "raise" I got was if the minimum wage went up. Living on less than $7000 a year was rough. However, without this job I wouldn't have landed the job I have now that pays over $50k right out of college. Also, I had some incredible friends that I worked with. You do get a small coupon for books if you work there long enough.
Pros
No weekends, short days, works with class schedule
Cons
Pays very little, no benefits, no discounts, can not work full time
Good people to work with"
Relief Custodian (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOAugust 21, 2017
No day was typical for me everyday was different. Learned not as appreciated as much for work done. Managment had its ups and downs. Hardest part of job was covering more than 2 runs a day. Most enjoyable was people worked with.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
N/a
Productive and fun place to work.
Collections Accountant (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOJuly 19, 2017
Very rewarding financially and personally. Enjoyed the job I did and the people I worked with. It is located in a small community. The benefits at UCM are awesome. The most enjoyable part of job is working with the students. The hardest part of the job is high volume of customers to serve by a deadline. Work place culture is great. There is never a typical day at work. There is always something new happening to learn.
Pros
Health Insurance, life insurance, paid vacation and paid sick leave, retirement
Cons
Short staffed. Periods of high volume of work.
Bad atmosphere
Projects Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOJuly 14, 2017
The co-workers had a down attitude for everything. Hard to be upbeat with so much negativity. Everyday was something else that was complained about. Doesn't take a lot to upset some.
Pros
Benefits, free events to attend, free health & wellness center
Cons
Unfriendly people, job security even to longtime employees
Professional yet relaxed atmosphere
Student Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOJune 22, 2017
The culture is definitely appealing. You have a fair amount of freedom here. Pay is the biggest drawback, but you do receive amazing benefits. There seems to be a disconnect between administration and staff though.
Great learning experience
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOMay 10, 2017
The skills that are gained from working as a community advisor plentiful. They are helpful in life and on the job.

The compensation could be better. Almost the entirety of each check that I received went to getting food so I could eat since the meal plans they provide for CA's a so small.
A job which gives satisfaction
Program Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MO 64093April 7, 2017
My position here at the University of Central Missouri involved the daily oversight and management of the Breath Alcohol Instrument Training Program. Training law enforcement officers has been one of the most satisfying positions I have ever held. The position was grant funded (through federal grants) and had to be renewed each and every year; which, as you can imagine, produced quite a bit of stress just prior to grant renewal time. I might be in the classroom for eight hours straight on one day and in the lab (calibrating and repairing instruments) the next...and in the office for hours of report preparation the next. I learned how to multi-task by moving from one lab bench to another and working on different types of complicated instruments. I learned how to convey information to a variety of learners. I learned how to testify in court during criminal prosecutions. I was the very first program manager over this particular program and was picked by my supervisor to "make it so" after he and the Missouri Highway Safety Director literally sketched out ideas for the program on a cocktail napkin. Our work environment was somewhat stressful but when people are competent at their jobs even stressful environments can be overcome. At first I did not supervise anyone but as the job grew I supervised two others. Learning how to supervise was perhaps the most difficult part of this job. The most enjoyable part was hearing from officers I had trained as they excelled at locating, investigating and arresting impaired drivers...thus making our roads safer here in Missouri. I  more... believe the two men I supervise now are indeed ready to take on my duties and keep this essential program alive.  less
Pros
8-5 workday, very few evenings, some weekends.
Cons
health care benefits were expensive for me to put my wife and son on.
GOOD job security
Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOJuly 18, 2016
Benefits far out weigh the pay, but good working atmosphere and easy schedule changes and plenty of vacation too, pay is way to low for this economy.
Secure job
Supervisor of Garage, retired (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MO 64093April 14, 2016
My experience provided many opportunities for job advancement. Wages and benefits were competitive and provided well for my family.
Productive work place
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOJanuary 26, 2016
Steady place of employment. Productive work environment with self motivation playing a large factor of employee success. Benefits are good.
Great co-workers. Every day has it's own challenges
Admission's Processor (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOAugust 24, 2014
My co-workers make this place feel like a second home. They have become like family to me. They are there for me if I have a professional or personal problem. We work directly under the assistant director who is rather easy going, he will do what he can to help out when we are swamped with work and give us "busy" work when things are slow. The hardest part is generally telling students they are denied, but it helps when we can give them some guidance on where they can go from there. The other hard thing can be dealing with constant interruptions from advisors and phone calls.
Pros
2 breaks and a long lunch every day, great health care, vacation and sick leave benefits