University of Chicago Medicine Employee Reviews

Good place to work; but less compensation; i was not entitled to beneits for 8 years I worked
REGISTRY CHAPLAIN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 10, 2019
This is a good place to work; there are very many warm colleagues who endeavor to work with each other collaboratively. But I did not receive the compensation or the position I was entitled to for the past 8 years I worked. I hope that in the management would look such situation in the future
Staff were easy to work with
Critical Care RN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2019
It was an interesting and educational place to work, good staff support and friendly work environment. It could be stressful at times, but there was always plenty of support.
Overall good place to work relaxed environment
Room Service Attendant/Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2019
Good equal opportunity employer with unlimited opportunities a lot of advantage and great care standards that keep employees involved in such a diverse environment
Pros
Good pay convenient travel
Cons
No parking
Overworked and undervalued
On- Boarding Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2019
Upper management is all about themselves. They overwork and underpay their employees. They expect them to take on responsibilities over and beyond their required duties and pay the minimum.
Diversity, family oriented culture workplace
HIV Tester /Disease Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60637December 31, 2018
It's ok HR is slow pay increases seldomly happen. Lack of communication amongst Management team and administration. Decrease options for opportunity of advancement.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Overworked underpaid not valued
Excellent place of work with flexibilty to balance school and work
Licensed Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60637December 28, 2018
The work schedule at the time of my employment was flexible to allow me to be a full time student while working as a full-time. The workplace culture was diverse and was collaboration was emphasized.
Pros
Flexible but competitive working environment
Cons
none I can record
Public Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2018
The University Chicago itself was a good place to work at but the management for public safety was very unfair, biased and didn’t present leadership. Management lacked integrity, honesty and overall dignity. I was there for over a decade and seen management come and go due to this.
Fun and stressful
Patient transport specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2018
The university of Chicago medicine is a great place to work in terms of pay and diversity. I loved my job but at some point I felt like I wasn't appreciated very much by my bosses. I felt they're out to get employees fired regardless of how much effort you put in which is disappointing.
Pros
Good paying job
Cons
Worst management (i.e. the Patient Transport Department)
bad expereince
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, ILDecember 18, 2018
I have worked on two different units and experienced the same culture with both managers. Very rude and willing to do everything to get you fired. Do not come to work here it is not worth it.
Pros
pay
Cons
never took a lunch
career move
EVS/FLOORCARE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2018
The University is a great place to work as far a pay benefits a lots of chances to move up, and apply for other jobs. The medical benefits are the best.
Other depts likely better than my experience
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2018
I've had a very unique experience. I dreamed of working here and shortly after I got into the role, I had major issues with management. I think this is rare. I don't want to bad mouth the organization as a whole. For me, there's been a lot of stress and tension in a short period of time.
Interesting and informative breast/ovarian cancer research.
OUTREACH RESEARCH COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2018
This was a dynamic position which required patient outreach, education, and enrollment in very important breast and ovarian cancer research protocols and clinical trials. It was very fulfilling to meet and educate these patients at high risk for BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations.

Unfortunately, the management was very poor, as the supervising physician was only concerned with the negative, and not the positive aspects of the employee's workload. This was the hardest part of the job, since accomplishments were obvious, but not recognized unless the praise directly reflected on the supervising physician.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting my precious patients and educating them, along with traveling within the city and out-of-state to meet with, educate, and enroll patient family members in research.
Pros
Meeting and educating patients, travel, and not having to be at a desk all day.
Cons
Supervising physician did not have good managerial skills.
co-workers are knowledgeable and work together
Medical Lab Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 27, 2018
This is a very fast paced, intense work environment. Great care has been taken to hire the best available employees for the positions.
Lab management has been able to provide the most cutting edge technology.
Pros
very nice physical space
Cons
often times do not get break and or lunch
Glad I wasn't hired here
Pharmacy (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2018
Although it seem like a great place to work I am glad they didn't hire me after all. Who knew better opportunities will come my way. Thank you for not being clear since the beginning.
Great
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2018
I learned so much from working here. I'd recommend to a friend. It was a carefree environment where novel ideas where welcomed and encouraged. It was only a volunteer research assistant position, but I enjoyed my time there.
great atmosphere
Administrative Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2018
My typical day consists of calling patients to schedule their appointments. Calling supply companies to get patients the correct ostomy supplies. Also stocking supply closets and ordering supplies for general surgery and urology clinics.
Pros
laid back manager
Cons
pto
Good job to work
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2018
I came to work temporary, but found that I really liked working with the patients and employees. There have been up and downs, but I really care about helping people, talking to patients, comforting patients, and empathizing with things that they are going through. It has made me a better and a more mature person.
Pros
Pay and benefits are great. Job where you help others and learn new things
Cons
At times, management fail to listen or consider to employee suggestions
University of Chicago
Patient Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2018
Overall, this is a great hospital network to be a part of. I enjoy coming into work knowing that there is always something to be done. I learned how to manage my time wisely and to work smart and consistent.
Pros
work/home life balance
Cons
lack of advancement in some departments
Wonderful Place to work
Advanced Practice Nurse, C-PNP (Current Employee) –  Comer Children's HsopitalNovember 2, 2018
The University of Chicago is a wonderful place to work. They value their employees, they provide wonderful patient care, the benefits can't be matched anywhere else in the city and the pay in fantastic. I have worked at other major hospitals in the city and none have compared to the University of Chicago
Truly the Forefront of Medicine
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2018
University of Chicago Medicine is a great place to work. Departments work well across the organization. People are friendly, hardworking and compassionate.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Close to home