University of Chicago Medicine Employee Reviews

University of Chicago
Patient Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2018
Overall, this is a great hospital network to be a part of. I enjoy coming into work knowing that there is always something to be done. I learned how to manage my time wisely and to work smart and consistent.
Pros
work/home life balance
Cons
lack of advancement in some departments
Wonderful Place to work
Advanced Practice Nurse, C-PNP (Current Employee) –  Comer Children's HsopitalNovember 2, 2018
The University of Chicago is a wonderful place to work. They value their employees, they provide wonderful patient care, the benefits can't be matched anywhere else in the city and the pay in fantastic. I have worked at other major hospitals in the city and none have compared to the University of Chicago
Truly the Forefront of Medicine
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2018
University of Chicago Medicine is a great place to work. Departments work well across the organization. People are friendly, hardworking and compassionate.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Close to home
University of Chicago is awful
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2018
I enjoyed almost nothing about working for the hospital. The location, logistics, policies, and staff were unbearable. I would not recommend anyone working there.
100% enjoy working for my manager
Lead Clinic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  5758 S. MarylandOctober 25, 2018
On a typical work day I greet patient's, check them in, perform billing, answer the phones, converse with physicians and staff daily.

I have learned new the Epic system, Dragon naturally speaking, Breeze program, ICD-10 coding, proficient in medical terminology, and able to adapt to change quickly.

The management style here is pretty lax because I am an efficient worker, and my manager trusts that I will get the job done. I appreciate the fact that my manager encouraged me to continue my education and has been very supportive.

The work culture is inclusive.

The hardest part of the job is not receiving compensation for my efforts. I am the type of person who will go above and beyond regardless, yet each year my merit increase is on 2% as well as my peers.

The most enjoyable part of my job is establishing lasting relationships with my co-workers, and patients.
Pros
I am 100% in my position, and I work with an excellent manager.
Cons
No room for advancement and extremely low yearly merit increases.
Team Work, Patients
Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2018
I worked for University of Chicago Medicine, for 20yrs, from being a Unit Secretary changed to Patient Service Coordinator to promoted to Patient Service Representative. I learn a lot and enjoyed, work with Patients, Family Member, Visitors, and the Medical Staff as a Team Player. They taught me a lot. I was always on the front line, and I represented Patients with a smile and respect. I made the patient feel warm and that they was in the right place, plus, our medical staff, will take great care of them. I learn and believed, that you put the patient first, we are here to take care of them. Working at a Hospital or Clinic, you can look in the patient eyes or body and tell that they patient is not feeling well at all. You talk to the patient with respect. You ask the patient for their, ID and Insurance Card. Once you place they patient information into the HR system, you will see and verify all information. You will ask the patient to verify their address, the last four digits of their phone number. If you have someone with the same name, you will as the patient for the last four digits of their Social Security Number. You then as them what is bothering them and let the MA or RN know their symptoms. We at University of Chicago Medicine, worked as a Team Together. We, Put The Patient First.
Pros
Team work
Success at University of Chicago is highly dependent upon what department you work in.
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 24, 2018
Work was always interesting but there was no opportunities for professional development. When my position was eliminated after many years, I found that my skills were not up to date.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
No professional development
Best
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 17, 2018
Working inside a hospital was very different. I dealt with alot of different type of patients. I was hired an Administrative Assistant II but we did alot more then just that. I was working side by side with the nurses, doing medicine errands, ordering hospital supplies for the patients for when they was going on, Making follow up doctors appointments
Good Place to Work
Sr. Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2018
Good Place to Work, Good Benefits, Good Salary/Pay, Gorgeous Campus, Not sure about the opportunities for growth within a section/department - seems stagnant in current role.
case management
Care Coordinator, Case (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2018
Typical case management department in a hospital. Nice coworkers, beautiful hospital and the best doctors. No other comments necessary at the time of this review
Great place to have work/life balance
Project Manager - Enterprise Architecture (Former Employee) –  Darien, ILOctober 10, 2018
I worked 8.5 yrs for UCM and loved working there. UCM helped me advance in my project management career as well as focus on my family life. I learned a lot about healthcare IT industry.
Great place to work with some amazing people.
Womens Care Float Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2018
Working with residents in a teaching hospital can be tough, but the nursing staff is amazing. There is room for advancement in most areas and the tuition reimbursement helps staff with career goals!
Great place to work.
Registered Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2018
Great place to work with friendly staff willing to answer questions and assist you when ever needed. The hardest part about my job was the down time and short staff from time to time. I loved it when a Physician asked me to assist the Medical Student in completing a procedure.
Pros
work load not overwhelming
Cons
N/a
fast work place
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 29, 2018
we always started our shift with a huddle to talk about any accidents that happen in the wok place the night before and to speak about how we can improve on certain things,at times management was hard to reach or get them to call to get things fixed or to get supplies we needed,i never thought my job was hard i had my own area i always made sure i kept it clean,i enjoyed my job the most because i was able to interact with so many great people.
University of Chicago
Medical Technologist MB (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2018
The name says it all. This is where many famous scientists have done great work. The first nuclear chain reaction occurred here. The school is currently #3 in the United States. It can be a little disorganized sometimes, but this is where the science gets done.
Pros
Free lunch usually at least once a week
Cons
Everyone is stuck up
Learned a lot
Emergency Department Pediatric Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2018
The University was a great experience. I learned a great deal from this facility. The training was great and the research was kept up to date. I think they have the best research in the city.
Pros
training
Cons
flexiblity
Excellent place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2018
I recommend this place. Just know they will work you like a slave for every penny they give you. The pay is excellent but you will definitely work for it. Also HR is not good in helping to resolve any issues.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Slave work
Busy Environment
Planning and coordinating New Resident Orientation (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2018
I enjoy working for the institution. It is a busy place and much to learn. There's always room for improvement and never take anything personally. I like the way the organization treat their employees. Working long hours does not give time to be with my love ones but I do enjoy what I do and the people I work with.
Pros
Festivals, Dept. employees celebration
Cons
Long hours, little time for family and friends
It was okay. I would have like to stay and move forward into another position.
Psychiatry Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILSeptember 21, 2018
I enjoyed working at U of C, it was extremely difficult moving to new positions. The area was off site and had free parking. The atmosphere was amicable. I would have liked to move on campus to another position or the university.
enjoyed working at the university
Assistant Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2018
The enjoyable part of my day was working with the staff, patients and all of the other visitors. The workplace culture was very busy and sometimes hectic,which made the day go by quickly.