University of Colorado Employee Reviews

Productive and fun to work there
LASP, Procurement Expediter (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 16, 2018
Typical day at work - relaxed and fun
What I learned - The policies between the state and federal government to build aerospace instruments
Manage was good
Workplace culture was the best
Hardest part of the job - None
The most enjoyable part of the job - The people
Pros
Free lunch, flexible working hours
Cons
Getting paid once a month
Great place to work, great benefits and people
Division Administrator/Business Services Director (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 15, 2018
Great place to work, great benefits and people. There is the opportunity for advancement. Great work/life balance. Organization that follows its mission and cares for it's staff.
Overall great employer, but experience varies by unit
Research Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 14, 2018
CU Boulder as a whole is a pleasant employer to work for, with great benefits and good compensation. However, leadership and culture in some units do not align with CU values overall, and many resources that could be used for students and trainees are instead diverted to faculty. Often the bottom line and short-term gains are more important than quality work and long-term planning, and many mid-level administrators are asked to do the jobs of several people without additional compensation or promotion.
poor management to much drama
Cook (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 13, 2018
to much people talking about each other and there was to much drama and poor mananment manger dont deal with or help with the employee problems out cast many people
Cons
only 30 min break for the hours some of us had to work
Great learning experiences.
Clinic Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 8, 2018
I have many positive things to say about The University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine.
Great staff. The students make it all worth while.
Wonderful benefits.
Pros
Benefits are great. People are friendly.
Cons
Stressful management.
Disgruntled
Senior Developer (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 29, 2018
If you work in IT in academia, then you make trade-offs that can sometimes be good. I just tried to start working remotely in a team where no one else does, and that has gone horribly and exacerbated any other issues I've had.

The biggest problem is inertia and waterfall style management, even if you "do agile". You'll likely work with outdated code that is maybe secure but no one uses it in 2018. So, you end up having to work nights and weekends on getting to a company that likes to learn new technologies so they can use the best tool for the job.

Oh yeah, don't forget about your coworkers. They will be propping their feet up on the table as you do work, because they are "classified" employees and can't be fired, essentially. If you can work on whatever you need to do to get out of your hellhole, then that is great...but most likely you will be fixing their bugs and working on legacy code.

If you are a junior developer, then maybe it is a great place to learn, but if you have more than 3+ years of experience you will most likely want to pull your hair out most days.
Pros
being lazy is encouraged, almost rewarded
Cons
no job security working with legacy code
Keeps bread on the table.
IT Support Engineer -- Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 27, 2018
Yep, pays the bills, but can leave you feeling stuck in the mud with poor advancement opportunities. Hence why I'm on Indeed.

Compensation is not good unless you get into Tier 2 tech. Tier 1, even if you write automation tools and advance your team's working capacity to a high degree does not result in any additional compensation.
Good
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 27, 2018
University is big and policy is well addressed. But science is different. People are stressful. Some but not all professors are not nice to students/associates.
Productive Place
Research Assistant (Project Manager) (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 21, 2018
Productive place to work. I enjoyed what I learned there, but I wouldn't want to do another research project. The hardest part of the job is the research.
Worked for a Great Prof
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 20, 2018
There was a lot to learn from the prof that I was a Teaching assistant for. CU gives a great salary for Graduate Student teaching assistants. I was able to set a lot of my own hours.
Exciting school environment with lots of opportunity to work interdepartmentally.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 17, 2018
I had the opportunity to work in the Neurology Department of the University of Colorado's Aurora campus. There I worked with the Education/Medical School Admissions department and assisted with administering testing for incoming first years. This position was very flexible with hours and I enjoyed the opportunity to work with different departments on campus.
Wonderful
Dining Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 17, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working at the University of Colorado Boulder, especially because I was able to work with a diverse group of individuals. The management encouraged staff to take more classes which would further advance our careers.
Pros
Flexible hours, friendly environment, understanding management
During College
Front Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 16, 2018
This job was a very convenient factor for a year an a half of college, that being it was located very near my living situation.
The management was very relaxed in they knew we were college students and most of us were just starting out in the workforce. Thus they helped us with most things we needed and I appreciated that. The hours were flexible and they scheduled us based on our school schedule and if other events were occurring during our schedule we were able to switch with another worker with no problems.
Pros
convenience
Fun, independent work where you have some freedom to construct your own curriculum
Guitar Instructor (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 15, 2018
I obtained this job after studying classical guitar at the university for 3 years and was asked to teach a group class 2 hours a week in attention to 1 hour a week for each private student I had. This allowed me make a decent salary while working minimal hours.
Good for Research
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 13, 2018
It was an amazing opportunity to receive research skills and work with participants. As well it increased my Excel skills and professional demeanor when doing emails.
Pros
Professional Skills such as communication
Cons
No compensation
Average place to work as a research associate, very dependent on supervisor, lab.
Senior research scientist (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 12, 2018
at least several laboratories at Anschutz medical campus are poorly run with low productivity and unhappy employees. The quality of research work is very laboratory/supervisor dependent,
Pros
Good retirement matching
Cons
Reasearch job stability is very funding, PI dependent (like anywhere).
Well Run
Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 10, 2018
Applied Mathematics Department at University of Colorado, Boulder. Helpful and facilitating staff that ran excellent programs. Thorough and vigorous education.
Great place for balance
Professional Reseach Assistant -Project Management (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 9, 2018
The University of Colorado functions much different than any other place I have worked. Departments are their own little company but all fall under the School of Medicine. Each department is much different. For instance, the Department of Family Medicine offers a very flexible schedule and allows work from home where other departments don't offer this. It is great if you have a family because of the flexibility. The only downfall is that if you are not faculty there is not much growth. There is movement but it is typically lateral.
Cons
Not much growth, salary is low
Enjoyed the people I worked with
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 8, 2018
I left for a Federal position, but wished I had not. It is a good place to work.

The culture where I worked was a research environment, which was interesting.
Student Assistant Perspective
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 6, 2018
As an unpaid student research assistant, the hours were flexible and the principle investigators are great. Graduate school was rough but everyone in your lab is going through it and pushing you along. I would recommend this institution to any student.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
You may or may not be paid, It's based on available grant money or if you're a teacher's assistant as well.