University of Colorado Employee Reviews

Ups and Downs
SENIOR IT DATABASE DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 19, 2018
The University of Colorado campus has it benefits and its negatives. Benefits are amazing, PTO, health insurance, etc. Compensation is in the lower tiers unless you are faculty. Job security is quite good, but opportunity for advancement within the same department is low and would require relocation to an alternative department. No job culture existent at all. Work place respects 8 hours per day 5 days a week, in most areas. As with most large employers, politics is prevalent. It is not about you or your contribution to the team effort, its about how you can make your boss look good to their bosses. Humility and ownership are rarely displayed, especially when dealing with faculty.
Pros
Benefits. Work/Life, Job security
Cons
Culture, Advancement, and Management
Great People, Poor Management
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 6, 2019
I really enjoyed the challenge of my position and the people with whom I worked. The work was fairly routine, not having a great deal of change but always challenging. My supervisor and Director were great process managers but very poor people managers. "Policy" rules were applied differently by employee and not with any consistent standard. Performance expectations were also different based on who was liked and not liked. There was always a significant level of stress as to being "watched" and monitored to the microscopic level. This was a sentiment shared by many, not just me.
Pros
Challenging work, good benefits and employee relationships.
Cons
Poor management and employer/employee relationships.
Fast paced work environment with free food
STUDENT ASSISTANT/DINING SERVICES EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 8, 2019
I worked at the Center For Community Dining Hall both as a student and full time employee. Overall, the work here is very easy, but can get extremely busy and tedious. It is great if you like repetition, but lunch and dinner crowds can be very stressful. The place is often short staffed and management doesn't do the best job to accommodate the needs of each station. The benefits for full time employees are fantastic, but base pay is low, requiring overtime to make adequate money.
Pros
Free food, great benefits
Cons
can be stressful, low pay
Overall great employer, but experience varies by unit
Research Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 14, 2018
CU Boulder as a whole is a pleasant employer to work for, with great benefits and good compensation. However, leadership and culture in some units do not align with CU values overall, and many resources that could be used for students and trainees are instead diverted to faculty. Often the bottom line and short-term gains are more important than quality work and long-term planning, and many mid-level administrators are asked to do the jobs of several people without additional compensation or promotion.
Give everything for nothing
Grounds Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 19, 2018
I have never worked so hard and received so little in any job setting. 0 room for growth and promotion. About 5 years spent here with nothing to show but a $.50 raise per hour. Cost of living has increased exponentially in my time here, there have been 0 adjustments to accommodate this. Living expenses now take up half of my paycheck. Its true what they say, Boulder; 25mi surrounded by reality.
Pros
good
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 8, 2019
University of Colorado is a highly rated public university located in Boulder, Colorado in the Denver Area. It is a large institution with an enrollment of 26,977 undergraduate students. Admissions is somewhat competitive as the University of Colorado acceptance rate is 80%. Popular majors include Business, Psychology, and Communications. Graduating 69% of students, University of Colorado alumni go on to earn a starting salary of $35,700.
work/life balance
Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 12, 2019
Flexible schedule options for work/life balance, good benefits, management is pretty laid back, the workplace culture is ideal. Understaffed, can be stressful.
Great Benefits
Academic Services Professional (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 18, 2018
Great benefits and salary is decent. Lack of advancement depending on the department you are in. Job title is misleading as almost everyone in my department has the same hired title but hold very different roles. Management and leadership is okay, again, depends on your department.
Great place for balance
Professional Reseach Assistant -Project Management (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 9, 2018
The University of Colorado functions much different than any other place I have worked. Departments are their own little company but all fall under the School of Medicine. Each department is much different. For instance, the Department of Family Medicine offers a very flexible schedule and allows work from home where other departments don't offer this. It is great if you have a family because of the flexibility. The only downfall is that if you are not faculty there is not much growth. There is movement but it is typically lateral.
Cons
Not much growth, salary is low
great place to work
Nurse coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 1, 2018
I appreciated the opportunities given to me. I do believe that they prefer younger workers. The schedule was flexible with business hours and opportunity to work remotely. I enjoyed the team approach while I was there. I enjoyed a fast-paced but pleasant work environment. I did not work in the University facility form 2012 through 2018 but appreciated the support they gave me as an affiliate worker.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
a bit age discriminant
Great benefits, average/low salary
Assistant Facility Manager/Breeder Core Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 6, 2019
Good place to work with great benefits but the salaries are average to low. The vacation time accrued is great and the retirement plan is amazing. Working at the Anschutz Medical Campus keeps all doctors close and rarely do you need to go elsewhere for medical care.
Varies by Department
Academic Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 22, 2018
Some departments have top notch management; others not so much. The culture varies as well. I have appreciated the ability to get my graduate degree using staff tuition benefits and am ready for a change.
Great place to work, great benefits and people
Division Administrator/Business Services Director (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 15, 2018
Great place to work, great benefits and people. There is the opportunity for advancement. Great work/life balance. Organization that follows its mission and cares for it's staff.
Food service opportunity for students
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 23, 2019
I was the only student working in a cafe off main campus. Our cafe was where they exiled tenured problem workers. Overall it wasnt bad, I had class in that building and could work before class.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
No benefits for part time
Great place if you like the college experience
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 25, 2018
CU is a great place to work. Relaxed but busy most of the time. Lots of students mean there's always something to do or someone in need. There's a large variety of job experiences on the CU campus; as many as there are programs.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
work loads tend to be a bit on the heavy side
Keeps bread on the table.
IT Support Engineer -- Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 27, 2018
Yep, pays the bills, but can leave you feeling stuck in the mud with poor advancement opportunities. Hence why I'm on Indeed.

Compensation is not good unless you get into Tier 2 tech. Tier 1, even if you write automation tools and advance your team's working capacity to a high degree does not result in any additional compensation.
Good Benefits if you can last
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  ColoradoDecember 27, 2018
Very negative environment. Lots of gossip and back stabbing. No good training and high expectations with little to no reward other than normal wages and benefits.
Pros
Health care benefits
Cons
Everything else
Being under appreciated is painful
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 4, 2019
They, on the whole, did not respect or appreciate my time. The compensation is inadequate, and the lackadaisical attitude of the majority of the staff is utterly infuriating.
Fantastic Opportunities for Students and Professionals Everywhere
Lab Technician II (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 6, 2018
The opportunity to be with intelligent and aspiring professors and students who soak up knowledge and wish to change the world. Once you get through the experience of working for this place you will find many opportunities to advance in the business and industrialized world.
Overall Great Place to Work and gain knowledge.
Pros
401k, fantastic people to work with
Cons
low pay - but typical for a University
Great learning experiences.
Clinic Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 8, 2018
I have many positive things to say about The University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine.
Great staff. The students make it all worth while.
Wonderful benefits.
Pros
Benefits are great. People are friendly.
Cons
Stressful management.