University of Dayton Employee Reviews

Good place to work for most individuals
SENIOR PROGRAMMER ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 8, 2019
8 hour workday with some overtime required. Listing for essential personnel regardless of weather. Essential Personnel were required to be in office regardless of weather.

Work days are consistent, respect for jobs well done are not always relayed to the staff.

Reviews are held monthly with direct supervisor. The review schedule is up to the employee and with acceptance from the supervisor.

Vacation is limited to two weeks per year. Scheduling vacation was with regard to having backup for the employee. I have been required to work remotely on some of my time off.
Pros
Benefits for health insurance is good, 403b retirement system
Cons
Environment is noisy, difficult to focus with the associated noise. Vacation is not the norm.
Campus Operator
Campus Operator/Computer Operations (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 23, 2018
My previous skills as an operator for Bell Telephone Company allowed me to seamlessly fit in to this position, I was able to be an asset for The University of Dayton. They were also extremely generous with their benefits. I was able to put my daughter thru college because of their generosity.
Pros
Telephone work which I truly enjoy and skillful with
Friendly, fun
Sr Adm Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OH 45402October 14, 2018
Extreme division between academics and administrative staff. Low salaries for administrative / professional staff. Few advancement opportunities for admin positions.
Pros
Edcuation
Cons
salary
Diverse and informative University workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 25, 2018
A very good place for people who have children who will attend the college. Benefits are very good, health insurance,401k tuition remission. on site training.
Pros
paid vacation time and health care
Cons
pay
fun workplace with good coworkers, friendly and welcoming enviroment
Dining Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 18, 2018
The management was good. A typical day at work was easy and sometimes, but very rarely stressful. I learned how to clean different things and how to work with and around people with all kinds of races, cultures, religions, ethnicities,and backgrounds. The job didn't have a hard part. The easiest part of the job was the job itself because the things I did in a typical day were simple things to do and easy to get done.
Pros
Good work environment, friendly co-workers, good managment
Cons
You could only work nine months out of the year, and it was hard getting on to full-time
Ud
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 19, 2018
I only have great things to say about UD. Exceptional faculty and staff. Everyone is laid back and professional at the same time.
Great benefits, great time off.
SYSTEM ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 3, 2019
Catholic university with a true family feeling, interested in your well being, good management structure, advancement opportunities and strong support by management
Collaborative, intellectually stimulating community
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Communication DepartmentJanuary 29, 2018
The Communication Department at the University of Dayton is a marvelous place to work. It’s work environment is community oriented, collaborative, and supportive. If a permanent position were available, I would definitely want to stay, and if I have to leave to find a full time position I would try to establish a similar work environment in my new position.
Pros
Flexible work hours, excellent benefits, wonderful work environment
Cons
limited full-time positions
Just OK
UD Emporium Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 20, 2017
There are other positions that may offer more stable work environment, but mine wasn't one of them. My schedule changed week to week and my hours were always different. Wouldn't have been a huge deal, but that was mentioned as something important to me in the interview changing from one job to the next in the company. Other than that, supervising children who do not want to work is quite a challenge.

These things were job specific though, and UD as a whole is a beautiful place that offers a lot to potential employees. The benefits were amazing, including free tuition to an amazing school.
Pros
Benefits including Free Tuition
Cons
Supervising inexperienced Young people
Fantastic equipment and lab
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 3, 2018
There are many fascinating instruments and lab devices to help in academic research. Professors are nice to communicate with. Fit ground, library, are very good for students to live.
Pros
convenient to academic research
Cons
low salary
I worked as a researcher and a intro dhem lab instructor I had wonderful bosses and coworkers
Introductory Chemistry Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 2, 2018
Bio Researcher -
The lab environment was very inclusive, and relaxed. I was asked to take the lead on multiple projects and train people in different lab techniques. I was paid on time, and a good salary, and only stopped working because the research project ended.

Lab Intructor-
Students are granted the responsibility and honor of teaching. There are many resources to help the teacher create a lesson, and make sure they are teaching the correct thing.
Stay away!
Dining Services (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJuly 26, 2018
It is the worst ran organization I have ever worked for. Management is awful! people are rude, ignorant and clueless. I am not one of the employees that is mad at the university because I am in bad standing or have issues at all. I am just trying to let someone know what I wish I could have known before working here!
Bargaining unit employees are under paid and over worked like slaves. And I am not even an bargaining unit employee.....IM MANAGEMENT!!!!!!
Management is not allowed to do their jobs and cant be nice with the empoyees and truthfully they are over worked!
I am warning you.....do not work there! You will hate it!
Relaxed work environment
Student Worker/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 19, 2018
The main place that I work at the University of Dayton is in Kettering Labs in the Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Office. There are some days in the office where there is nothing to do, so I usually just sit at the desk and study or do homework. Other days there is a lot going on and I am busy the entire time that I am there. I do a lot of typing in Microsoft Excel, making spreadsheets and such.
Part time employment
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 2, 2019
My experience is not typical of the average employee at University of Dayton. I am a part time staff member who works directly with the students. I meet with students, prospective students and their parents. The main focus of my job is to be a resource for the student during the pursuit of their undergraduate degree. I am an expert in a specific curriculum and I advise only students in that major.
Community really is a value -- depending on which department you're in
Grad Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 31, 2018
UD has a great potential to be the ideal workplace. The college values community, collaboration, social justice and kindness. However, not every department on campus truly embodies these values. Make sure you do your due diligence, take someone from the department out to coffee, and get the inside scoop on whether the workplace environment in that department is truly in line with the university's values or not. If it is, you're in for a real treat. Some of the best learning and working experience I've ever had happened here when I was in the right spot.
Nice place to work
Parking Services Representative P-T (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 28, 2018
I'm in a different position now and the hours are bad. There isn't a work- life balance, but hope it gets better. My first position with the University was nice I loved the team I worked with however, the pay was too low.
Pros
Free lunch
Disappointed
Senior Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OH 45469September 19, 2018
I had worked there for 26 1/2 years until this new director was hired. She stressed me so much I had a massive heart attack while at work. She fired me within 1 year. Racial Motivated.
Nice University to study in.
Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 22, 2018
If you want an internship, you have to find one yourself.?It was difficult not being paid as an intern. The curriculum was good, however. The instructors were good as well.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Expensive school
Horrible
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  DaytonOctober 8, 2018
Bad place too work management treat u like garbage they treat their employees like slaves people were in the bathroom crying it's a very prejudice work enviroment!
FACILITY MANAGER AT UD (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 18, 2019
It was a great working experience, it helps you learn more about what to expect in the outside world and it was great, good staff members and great personality
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Health care