University of Denver Employee Reviews

Higher ed- in transition
Finance and Budget (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 17, 2018
DU, like all others in higher education, is in transition. If you do not manage change well, do not apply. If you do well with change, then apply, you may like it.
N/a
Executive Assistant, Advancement Operations (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 4, 2018
Mission. The mission of the University of Denver is to promote learning by engaging with students in advancing scholarly inquiry, cultivating critical and creative thought, and generating knowledge. Our active partnerships with local and global communities contribute to a sustainable common good.
The Kids are Alright
Gymnastics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 25, 2018
Most of the children here are pleasant human beings who enjoy the sport and are enthusiastic to learn more about it. The classes are on a very tight schedule, so everything is very organized.
Biological Laboratory Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 9, 2018
Gave me the necessary tools to advance in my career of choice. Was able to learn certain laboratory techniques and skills above and beyond what the normal classroom offered.
Average
Campus Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 24, 2018
The department is well organized but has the same downfalls as any other A-typical security position. Overall, there is room for advancement but your personal life will be compromised.
Great atmosphere
Research & Internship Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 23, 2018
My tasks for each professor I worked under were clear and easy to launch from. I often worked on my own in my own time which was great. I had a great experience working as a research assistant at University of Denver's Media Film and Journalism Studies department.
Great Place to Work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 1, 2018
I worked as a research assistant at the University of Denver on 2 studies, one which involved coding for later interrater reliability checks, and one which involved running participants. I learned how to set up Biopac biometric measures, use Excel, E-Prime software, and Windows in general. In return for my work I received credit.
Poor Management
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ricks CenterMarch 1, 2018
The Ricks Center had extremely poor management. It was very disappointing to work there. There was a lack of structure and communication which made it hard to advance. Expectations were not communicated which made it difficult to understand the needs of the teachers and students. I would not recommend working at the Ricks Center.
Great co-workers, TERRIBLE pay
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 28, 2018
- I worked at another institution in a like position before coming to DU and make around $10 less an hour here.
- Great atmosphere and coworkers are wonderful, but little to no advancement opportunities.
- You have to pay for parking but do get a free RTD pass.

- University has a focus on "inclusive excellence" meaning they try and craft policies to be more inclusive of minorities and other oppressed groups, but the execution often has the opposite effect, creating dissention and tension between groups. Examples of this are "Boone the Pioneer mascot" being banned from campus for to being offensive to native populations but disregarding the alumni that had this mascot when they were here, or the "free speech wall" where anyone could paint their views on any particular subject now being regulated by a "free speech committee" because people were offended by subject matter that antithesis to the school's held beliefs on certain subjects.
Pros
RTD pass, free health insurance for self (with completion of certain stipulations), tuition waiver, coworkers
Cons
EXTREMELY low wages, no advancement opportunities, bureaucracy, inclusive excellence
Kitchen Manager and Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 22, 2018
This was twenty plus years ago. I had a great time working there, the people were great. I have no further opinion of my time at University of Denver.
Great Place
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 1, 2018
The University of Denver is a great place to work. The only problem is low wages. Sometimes work hours can be a little strange--I often worked 4am-7am, because thats what the job entails.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Pay
Great for Law Students
Professor Don Smith (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 25, 2018
Great time interning as a law student- I enjoying the flexibility in the job hours and the self-guided work pace. I was able to complete my school work while researching in my free time.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Temporary position
Depends what you want in a job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 24, 2018
It's a nice environment with friendly people and good benefits, such as the tuition waiver, vacation, and maternity leave. However, the opportunities for advancement are scarce and pay is on the low end for the industry.
Pros
Benefits, people, location, structure
Cons
Low pay, no advancement, bureaucracy
Solid Stop in your Career Journey
Graphic Designer and Magazine Art Director (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 23, 2018
DU is a good place to work. It's also a vast place to work. The people are intelligent, hard workers and truly want to make DU the best University one can attend. The environment is collaborative and creative. Things happen at a snails pace, however, and upper level management turns over often. Some at the highest level are more concerned about their status and ego than anything else. But, for the most part it's a great place to work. The benefits are outstanding with vast offerings. Working in higher education also makes one feel they are contributing to something bigger than themselves as well.
Pros
benefits, time off, location
Cons
some management
Interesting history texts
Translator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 17, 2018
Volunteer translating from home of English written history book into Spanish. The communication with the coordinator of the project was smooth and responsive.
great school
Intern, through University of Denver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 16, 2018
great school, excellent professors, good internships, reasonable workload, challenging program, diverse range of courses to take and internships to choose from.
Valuable place to work
ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 11, 2018
The University of Denver provides an excellent opportunity for adjunct instructors to incorporate their professional experience into the classroom with their own style and unique flavor.
Unique enviroment to help support graduate level students
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 11, 2018
The University of Denver's Graduate School of Social Work incorporates a variety of classes and opportunities to promote the social justice aspect of the social work profession.
Fast Paced
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 23, 2017
Had fun teaching undergrads but some professors were uncooperative.It is a fast-paced environment making really simple things unnecessarily tough for students..
University of Denver
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 14, 2017
I had a fun time at the University of Denver. Lots to learn and good faculty in the Biological Sciences department when I was there. Although you have to push a little to move your projects forward as some professors can be unreachable or act busy.