University of Denver Culture reviews

Great place to work.
Gymnastics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 7, 2019
Great place to work. Helpful and friendly coworkers. Healthy and collaborative work environment. Would recommend to anyone. Enjoyed my time working here.
Great benefits but toxic work culture
Campus Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Campus SafetyFebruary 9, 2019
Department of Campus Safety has a severe issue with poor management, lack of long term focus, the pay is inadequate for the jobs performed. There is little room for advancement and the department has a high turnover. All this contributes to a toxic work environment where those that stay are constantly stabbing each other in the back and ratting each other out to look good in the eyes of a blind chain of command. They can’t give raises in proportion to the rising cost of living for the area but yet the department can dump hundreds of thousands on technical upgrades. The benefits are great with is copious accumulation of sick and vacation time, educational tuition assistance, and medical and dental packages, but that’s because they are the University’s benefits. IF YOU ARE GOING TO WORK FOR DU, DON’T FOR CAMPUS SAFETY.
Pros
Benefits packages
Cons
Toxic work culture
Pretty good
Student Therapist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 23, 2019
I'm just a student working under a grant. It's not bad. Your role is pretty satisfying and you get the satisfaction of knowing that you're doing great things.
Great work/life balance
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 10, 2019
DU provided good work/life balance and decent benefits. For visiting faculty, there was no job security, little respect, and the culture felt exclusive - could not break in.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
lack of interaction with colleagues
Wonderful Work Environment for Students
Admissions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 1, 2018
I loved every minute of my job at DU. The people were great and I am still great friends with them all. I stop in the office frequently just to say hello.
Depends on your position
Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 20, 2018
In my current role there is very little opportunity for advancement. The culture has shifted greatly since I started from collaboration and new possibilities to one that is very divided and restricted. An entirely new IT management structure was put in place recently and very hard lines of communication and responsibilities were implemented. Now everything is micromanaged by all levels, which has lead to workflows moving very slowly. It has also lead to many items falling through the cracks. Meetings are now set based on your title, not your involvement in the project. Requests and emails regularly go unanswered and update meetings have been shelved. While there are absolutely some good people there and some really good perks, upper management has recently put a big damper on the culture.
Pros
Great perks, good people
Cons
micro-management, no opportunity for advancement, poor lines of communication
Du facilities
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 21, 2017
Great team of people to work with everyday. The atmosphere is filled with activity and doer's. The overall climate of DU is push forward and strive for your dreams.
Pros
Nice People, Staff Development and Opportunities
Cons
women overall get paid 35% lower than gentlemen
Mail Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 11, 2017
This was the best job I had, The benefits are great and so is the pay.
I had a wonderful boss, they are very understanding in their roll and will work with you, but do not abuse it.
Pros
Everything!!!
Cons
not always enough overrtime
Wonderful culture
associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 1, 2017
It is an enjoyable relaxed culture to work in. Education is available, and the perks are nice. Pay is below standards and there is room for improvement with management.
Pros
Culture, work-life balance, perks
Cons
Low pay, no advancement
Great environment
ORIENTATION LEADER (Former Employee) –  Denver, ColoradoAugust 13, 2017
Strong team environment. Diverse group working together. Collaborative staff willing to take time to train you in. Beautiful campus and excellent location.
University of Denver
Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 18, 2017
There is a definite disparity in how DU pays one person to the next (I believe there is a large, high profile and on-going law suit against DU on this matter) There has also recently been a very large shift in senior and executive level management and as a result, the stable, friendly culture that once existed there has become much more mechanical in nature. Not nearly as a coveted of a place to work as it once was.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Equal pay for fair work seems to elude most of the institution
Serious and intellectually stimulating place to work
Alumni Relations, Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 14, 2017
I learned to prioritize my day effectively. The workplace culture supports both the student, and the administration of the college. The staff is involved in all aspects of student life.
Pros
The department acknowledges the importance of resource development.
Cons
No benefits for student workers.
Its a productive workplace and fun.
Colorado - Spanish Adjunct (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 30, 2017
I go to my office and prepare the lessons I will be teaching. Have meetings with my co-workers. My work place is very pleasant. The hardest part of my job is when student complain but really is not hard.
The most enjoyable part of my job is to see that my students will accomplish their goals and they can be able to put into practice what I have taught them.
Fun Place To Work
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 29, 2016
It is been an honor working here.I love the place,the culture,the diversity.Appreciated the help everyone gives if you need.You will love here as an employee and as a student
Great University
Full-Time Student (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 12, 2016
This is a great place to be and a great place to learn I enjoyed all of my time at the university of Denver and would recommend it to anyone. The campus is beautiful and the staff and faculty are all professional
Great energy!
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 3, 2016
Overall a great place to work! Challenging and fast-paced, but a good work/life balance. The culture and coworkers were positive.
Good Work/Life Balance
LEP Tutor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 4, 2016
I have enjoyed working with the staff and the positive culture of the DU campus. There are definitely perks to being a staff member and lots of flexibility with hours.
Pros
Discounted Tickets, Gym
Cons
Healthcare, Investment Options
Imagine (working at) DU - on second thought
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 4, 2015
PROS
Beautiful campus
Decent benefits
Free Eco Pass and easy to get to by public transit
Tuition reimbursement/waiver

CONS:
Low pay
Do not respect or value the "rank and file" employee
At lower levels very little professional development made available
Lack of advancement opportunity
Parking can be an issue
If you don't fit into the DU "culture" (and there is a definite one) you will not be very happy or successful there.
Cool University
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 1, 2015
It was a good environment to learn the staff is very educated and encourages people to be creative. The co-works are cooperative and helpful
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
the parking lots are allows full
Great work environment
Undergraduate Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 27, 2015
• Developed laboratory technique proficiency through contributing to research in developmental neurobiology alongside PhD and Master’s Degree students
• Assisted graduate students execute experiments pertaining to the identification of the function of RNA processing bodies in the Drosophila melanogaster neuromuscular junction in a laboratory setting
• Trained students in correct laboratory protocols, experimental techniques, and procedures
• Managed laboratory operations by ordering supplies and making solutions for research
• Oversaw maintenance and upkeep of cell culture stocks