University of Hawaii system Employee Reviews for Student Researcher

Relaxed place to work
Psychopharmacology Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 26, 2017
My job at UH was an internship and only lasted for one year. During this time, I gained lab experience which became a stepping stone to my career. Managers and other scientists were great to work with and the culture was fantastic and relaxed.
Pros
great culture
Easy work for students
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 10, 2017
There's several jobs available for students that pay decent and let you get experience while you're in school. I was able to make my own hours and just do research when I could. I feel like your mentor can make or break this though. Since I had a good mentor it was really nice.
Pros
make your own hours
Cons
no benefits, max 20 hrs. / week
good for student
Cyber Security Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIOctober 10, 2017
student jobs are excellent for students, work around your class schedule. decent pay for student job. often limited to part time hours only. .............................
Good research university
Student assistant researcher (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 26, 2015
A typical day at work would be organizing lab materials, cleaning up equipment that has been left out, repairing microscopes, running DNA extractions, PCR, and gel electrophoresis. There are some days were plasmids are incubated in agar or fluorescence microscopy is used to visualize fly phenotypes.

I learned a lot of valuable lab experience and proper aseptic technique in the lab. As well as what to do in case something went wrong.

The management was my academic advisor and was really nice and helpful and my coworkers were fellow graduate or undergraduate students. Majority had their own projects or were an extension of the PI's project. We would come together for weekly meetings to discuss what we have worked on, ask questions, and contribute ideas for each others projects.

Most enjoyable part of the job was everyone was there to help each other when help was needed.
Pros
Awesome coworkers
Cons
Had to graduate and leave
Simple intern
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 28, 2015
I would just need to be in front of a computer and take notes and find out information about sea walls in relation to the realty industry. The mentor I had was more than exceptional and was very passionate about this topic and getting his students to succeed.