University of Hawaii Employee Reviews

Relaxed workplace with convenient hours.
Student-Athlete Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 17, 2018
As a student working at the school they are very compromising on your work/class schedules. It's also nice, if you're able to, to have a job during school to gain more experience.
Pros
Great hours.
Cons
Didn't pay very well.
Great people .. was hust too expensive too live in Hawaii
Owner of Hawaii Fitness (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 14, 2018
Loved the people, loved the island, just was too difficult and expensive to live on Oahu and save money. I would recommend living there if you made money somewhere else and then retired there.
Pros
Perfect weather and beautiful ocean.
Cons
Too expensive for renting or buying homes.
Magnificent
Research Assistant/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIApril 7, 2018
The college is amazing. The place is very welcoming. The staff is amazing, friendly, and knowledgable. They are always trying to make students and employees time at the college easy.
Pros
staff, management, students, hours given, pay
Student Athlete
Division 1 Collegiate Athlete (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 3, 2018
Being a student athlete is a great lifestyle especailly at the universiety of Hawaii. You have great benefits, and are greatly appriciated by the community.
ugh..not recommended...
Curriculum Developer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 7, 2018
One of the most important characteristics to have is quality of our work: My employer should be a gentle, kind, chivalrous, and benevolent. We should be able to love our roles that we are assigned, I did not.
The job is an excellent beginning for those interested in teaching.
Grader for Religion (Former Employee) –  2500 Campus Rd, Honolulu, HI 96822January 30, 2018
The University of Hawai'i at Manoa (UH) provided me with training as a teaching assistant for adequate pay and excellent work conditions. I enjoyed my work guiding students through their coursework. The most frustrating aspect of my duties was the remedial nature or some of their work, i.e. making sure their grammar and syntax were at a university level. The most enjoyable aspect was seeing students rise to that challenge.
Pros
Learning, Teaching, Interesting
Cons
It was not full time.
So much potential
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIJanuary 5, 2018
I absolutely loved the students and enjoyed the atmosphere they created at the University's Hilo campus. The challenges I experienced were related to the local first mentality of the management team. I don't regret the time spent there, but caution folks from the mainland to have very thick skin before making the move.
Relaxed place to work
Psychopharmacology Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 26, 2017
My job at UH was an internship and only lasted for one year. During this time, I gained lab experience which became a stepping stone to my career. Managers and other scientists were great to work with and the culture was fantastic and relaxed.
Pros
great culture
Uh
Student Assistant Aid (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 18, 2017
was grate because they worked with me with my classes. If we needed time to study, they gave it to us and helped us prep for graduating if m=we needed it.
Fun and exciting
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  HawaiiDecember 14, 2017
Very Flexible scheduling. Working for the University as student gave me a chance to learn a new trade while undergoing my degree. Working for the University allows students to focus on school and then work second.
Great opportunity
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HI 96822November 1, 2017
As a Resident Assistant, I managed and guided students ranging from Freshmen to Seniors with anything in their day to day lives. I was a resource for them whether they needed help picking classes, building their resumes, or if they had emotionally stressful situations they needed to talk out. I also provided programs that were usually educational but fun, for the residents to meet new people and learn new skills. I also worked at the front desk providing customer service, answering any questions anyone had and delivering mail.
Great place to work in the paradise
Research Assistant, Department of Economics (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 13, 2017
Great university. friendly staff and faculty. Very beautiful.
Professors are helpful and friendly.
Students are a mixed bag. Some are great while others seriously lack in motivation.
Pros
everything
Cons
there's only 1 season and that is summer
Great place to learn and grow
Standardized Patient Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 10, 2017
Great opportunity to work for the state of Hawaii in the medical school. Good people who are trying to make a difference in the healthcare field. Also good to take advantage of free educational opportunities.
good for student
Cyber Security Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIOctober 10, 2017
student jobs are excellent for students, work around your class schedule. decent pay for student job. often limited to part time hours only. .............................
Interesting
Facilities Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 21, 2017
Work days were stress free. Learned about autoclave systems and laboratory animals. Management was easy going. good workplace culture. The most enjoyable part was the flexibility in schedule.
Pros
good working conditions
Cons
working with unions
Everyone is very friendly
Peer Academic Leader (Former Employee) –  No'eau centerAugust 16, 2017
Working there was very casual, but interesting. We always had something to do, because my main job was tutoring. In order to be a tutor though, you do need to be a current student of the UH system.
Uh
Parent / Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pearl City, HIMay 23, 2017
It was a good college job that fit with my schedule and allowed me to work with flexible hours and got me the experience I needed when I was just graduating
Consultant Trainer
Associate Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIMay 15, 2017
Pleasant to work in the Islands on one contract to present my course Women Who Run from Computers. Class was very well received.

They asked me back to train their trainers. But they pay was low and they could not pay my travel, or expenses. That made further contracting with U of Hawaii financially burdensome and unrealistic unfortunately.
Pros
Loved helping empower multi-cultural women
Cons
Low pay. Could not build on the program.
Great experience working and living in Hawaii
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 9, 2017
As Assistant Director of the Leisure Center I worked with students and staff to create and promote non credit educational and recreation programs in the Hawaii. Activities consisted of Hawaiian Cultural and educational programs, water based activities, island trips, leadership programs and movie series.
Pros
fun, exciting and laid back experience working with locals
Cons
cost of living
Nice place to work if you have a good manager
IT Specialist (Security Admin) (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 3, 2017
As higher education, there is a need to be "open" but attempt to be secure. Yes, this can almost be seen as an oxymoron.

Unfortunately, moving forward is difficult with poor management.